Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called admissions yesterday to ask them about the fee-waiver.

Me: Hi, this is [my name]. I am working on my secondary application for LUCOM. I received a fee waiver from AACOMAS and I would like to know if I am applicable for LUCOM secondary application fee waiver.
Lady: Yes, we have a list of students who were approved for AACOMAS fee waiver
Me: Oh ok, should I just skip the payment page or should I enter zero for payment. Or do I need to pay and get refunded later on?
Lady: We only send secondary applications to a selected pool of applicants. You will receive an email with invitation to the fill secondary if you qualify
Me: Yes, and I have received an invitation for secondary already.
Lady: Ok then go ahead and fill it out
Me: (WTF, in my head) umm okay but how do I go about the fee waiver ?
Lady: click on the link to fill secondary application and you will be directed to our website
Me: ok then thanks!

Ok seriously any suggestions on how to go about the fee waiver. lol?
Pretty funny! I am glad you didn't say out loud what you were thinking :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do they send you an email after they get LORs and everything to say you are complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they send you an email after they get LORs and everything to say you are complete?

you can view your app status on my.lu
log in- click assist-click the tab (i think it says general, but i dont remember) then click applicant status.

Is Richmond the closest major airport? I'm possibly flying from California or from Atlanta since I have an interview at ACOM for 9/5.

Lynchburg has an airport as well, like 10-15 mins from the school & suggested hotels

you can view your app status on my.lu
log in- click assist-click the tab (i think it says general, but i dont remember) then click applicant status.
I just turned in my materials today and it says waitlist for interview? does this mean i got waitlisted like completley or they have not received my materials yet and that is why I was waitlisted?

I interviewed there last year got Waitlisted they said to improve my Mcat so I did from 26 to 29 got an email saying I'm deferred today... Oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I interviewed there last year got Waitlisted they said to improve my Mcat so I did from 26 to 29 got an email saying I'm deferred today... Oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The season is still really early. I am sure you will get an interview soon. They have only booked through September so far. October interviews are still nice and early.

For those get II, did you submit the DO letter? Thanks.

I was informed that I was deferred because my DO letter is not in yet.
Do you think it make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was informed that I was deferred because my DO letter is not in yet.
Do you think it make sense?
I think on their website it says that they don't consider your application complete until a D.O. Letter is received.

does anyone have recommendations for a hotel stay? looking for something inexpensive and non smoking

does anyone have recommendations for a hotel stay? looking for something inexpensive and non smoking
If I remember correctly, there is a holiday Inn about a 5 minute drive from LUCOM. This hotel is also about a 10 minute drive from the Lynchburg airport. I think I paid about $100/night when I went there last year. Good luck!!

If you stay at the Wingate, you will be 1 mile from the school

On candlers mountain road, that is :)

Our lecture capture system isn't the best. Currently, video lectures are only available when you are physically at the school, and you are not allowed to download them. They said the videos are “proprietary.” You can view the audio at home, but in either situation you can’t watch the lectures at a faster speed. For those of you that don’t know, watching them at twice speed would be the only you could watch them. The video and audio quality on both versions also isn't really great. Currently, the video lecture system is four days behind. Meaning you can only see lectures on Tuesday. That can be a problem, when you have an exam say on Friday, (like we do next week). I think they said they were going to post them after 48 hours. But they did give a disclosure not to rely on it, and that sometimes the lectures will be missing segments, or some may not upload. I know a lot of you guys are making decisions about where to go. And I know that some other schools allow you to download the lecture immediately after the lecture, and as you can imagine that can be extremely useful if you come out a lecture confused, or missed certain parts as the professor was going too fast.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I'm interviewing there this Monday and for those of you who have interviewed already-- do you know when they send out information about who will be interviewing you? I want to read more about the people that I might interview with!

PS all the positivity about the school is getting me really excited to see it! It's great hearing that the faculty and staff are so friendly! Can't wait!

Hey guys! I'm interviewing there this Monday and for those of you who have interviewed already-- do you know when they send out information about who will be interviewing you? I want to read more about the people that I might interview with!

PS all the positivity about the school is getting me really excited to see it! It's great hearing that the faculty and staff are so friendly! Can't wait!

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they will send it to us tomorrow. I'm not even sure WHERE to go at this point. But I don't think they'll leave us hanging. I'm interviewing on Monday, as well. Really looking forward to the interview!

I interviewed on 8/18 and we did not know who we were interviewing beforehand. Once we were taken to the room on the table was our itinerary for the day. Next to our names were the two people we were interviewing with. They were extremely nice and overall I felt that the interviewers asked fair questions. I really enjoyed the building and its extremely nice. Overall a great experience to be had.

Reactions: 2 users
I just realized this: When Barry emailed me to confirm my interview, the Word document with directions was not attached. If anyone has this document that will tell us which building and room number to go, please PM me with it. I can also give you my email in a PM if that would be better.

I just realized this: When Barry emailed me to confirm my interview, the Word document with directions was not attached. If anyone has this document that will tell us which building and room number to go, please PM me with it. I can also give you my email in a PM if that would be better.

Hey if no one sends you the document, just have your phone/gps take you to the Wingate hotel 3777 candlers mountain rd lynchburg. Keep driving up the mountain about another mile. Liberty view ln will be to your right. Take that all the way to the school parking lot. Barry will meet you at the door. Hope that helps!

I interviewed on the 18th. VERY impressed with the faculty, students, and building. The interviewers really tried to get to know you and make it as comfortable as possible. Good luck to those interviewing! I hope to hear good news back from this program! They said the admissions committee will meet again on the 28th of August and then notify after labor day.
I stayed at the Marriott Springhill Suites. It is right across the street from the airport and you take the road right next to it and make a right turn at the stop sign which leads to the school. Very very close and convenient For me coming from Las Vegas, it was just as cheap to fly directly into Lynchburg than to a larger nearby airport and drive.

Not true. They don't dig into your personal life. If you run around drunk wearing your LUCOM polo that's a different story

That's actually the case regardless of which medical school you attend.

Which takes us to the story of a particularly nasty group of medical students who purchased the clothing of their rival school and proceeded to create quite a scene at several local establishments to defame their rivals. But that's certainly something SDN folks would never consider.

Got a deferred status without letters today. :shrug:

I send out the DO letter and they received it. But still deferred status in waiting list for interview. What do 'waiting list for interview' mean?

I interviewed at this school recently. Overall a good experience but one thing I heard was that they don't record lectures in real time - you have to wait 2 days to get them? This is huge for me since I'm more of an alternative learner and definitely want a school where they're not holding my hand and forcing me to lecture on their time or I fall behind.

Can any current students comment on this? Is this true?

I interviewed recently, as well. Great overall experience. The interviewers and staff were people that you could just talk to forever. All of the students were nice, greeted us, offered us advice and assured us that everything was going to be okay. One of my interviewers asked me questions on biochemistry, organic chemistry and microbiology. I'm not complaining because I knew all of the answers except I couldn't draw him an aldol to save my life. But he was a great guy and really made me look forward to having him for microbiology. They have me looking forward to the Guatemala medical mission trip. You're not going to be able to beat the positive atmosphere, standard of technology, and overall vision for success. Like all schools, if you are admitted, your success is in your hands. Rest assured, all the tools and resources at LUCOM are more than enough for you to become an awesome physician. They said we should hear back next week. Definitely go check out the school if you are offered an interview. The new building is amazing and the view from the balcony is seriously breathtaking. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. :)

I interviewed at this school recently. Overall a good experience but one thing I heard was that they don't record lectures in real time - you have to wait 2 days to get them? This is huge for me since I'm more of an alternative learner and definitely want a school where they're not holding my hand and forcing me to lecture on their time or I fall behind.

Can any current students comment on this? Is this true?

It's true for now. I'd bet this will be resolved before the next class starts. They're very technologically advanced in every area except this lol. Assuming that won't be the case in a year. Other students have recorded the lectures so idk I guess it really hasn't affected us that much. Then again I don't listen to lectures twice anyway.

It's true for now. I'd bet this will be resolved before the next class starts. They're very technologically advanced in every area except this lol. Assuming that won't be the case in a year. Other students have recorded the lectures so idk I guess it really hasn't affected us that much. Then again I don't listen to lectures twice anyway.

I was told it wasn't a technical issue but they had the 48 hour rule to force students to go to class - it didn't sound like something they were fixing but more of a policy.

II! I was placed on deferred status last week and now just got the II! Yayy

I was told it wasn't a technical issue but they had the 48 hour rule to force students to go to class - it didn't sound like something they were fixing but more of a policy.

Hmm. I haven't heard that. They say attendance isn't required but expected. I don't go to every single lecture. Some topics I just learn better on my own.

I feel like an idiot... how do I review the status of my app? I sent in my secondary, received a confirmation number as well as an error message. I want to figure out if my secondary went through or not...

I feel like an idiot... how do I review the status of my app? I sent in my secondary, received a confirmation number as well as an error message. I want to figure out if my secondary went through or not...
You can't check the status online, you can call the school in a few days to see if everything was received. The admission person named Barry was very helpful!

Does he answer the phone or do we leave a message and he calls back? I have tried to call a few times and it goes straight to voicemail so I was wondering if its one of the numbers we just leave messages or will he pick up directly?

Accepted!! Completed by july, interviewed on the 18th of august, and just got a phone call from Dr. Martin with the good news!

MCAT 28 (evenly balanced, 3.15 GPA). So happy the wait is over!

Reactions: 9 users
Interviewed on the 18th and just got the acceptance call as well! 24 MCAT, 3.6 GPA

Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed on August 11th and got the acceptance call today! It is a great school, and good luck to everyone! Can't wait to see next year's incoming class!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to all those who are accepted !

When does the interview day start and end? I am trying to figure how to schedule my flights. Thanks

Congrats to all those who are accepted !

When does the interview day start and end? I am trying to figure how to schedule my flights. Thanks
Starts at 8 a.m. and ends roughly around 2 p.m.

You can't check the status online, you can call the school in a few days to see if everything was received. The admission person named Barry was very helpful!

you CAN view your application status online.
log in to My.lu. click assist- click general information-click applicant status.