Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats everyone! Those of you still waiting...don't worry. Some of my classmates didn't get accepted until 6 weeks after their interview (horrible wait...I know lol).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats guys! Any idea for those who didn't get a call?
Probably doesn't mean anything. Dr. Martin has to personally call people, so it can take a while to move through the list.

It's still very early, don't worry :)
you CAN view your application status online.
log in to My.lu. click assist- click general information-click applicant status.
I can attest to that! I just followed jsk1's instructions and found my accepted status there. If anybody is curious about their status, don't hesitate to check it out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today. Very surprised. I thought my interviews went great. Good luck to everyone!

Rejected today. Very surprised. I thought my interviews went great. Good luck to everyone!

Rejected as well. Good luck to all those accepted and those going through the process! Don't discount this school. It's amazing!

Reactions: 1 users
Logged onto my.lu and I don't see a decision...

Unfortunately I was also rejected and I am a little shocked by it. I thought my interview went rather well. Oh well I guess this was not my path to take. I shall move on and good luck to everyone. This is a great school.

I wanted to congratulate every single applicant that has been accepted to this beautiful school. If any of you by any chance get rejected, please don't get discourage; I was rejected two years in a row and this was my final year to apply. Life has a funny way of working itself out. I was accepted last year, in my last application cycle. I thank God that it worked out this way because I truly believe LUCOM is the best fit for my family and I.

Good luck to all of the applicants. Remember, we are still very early in the cycle. I was accepted in February, so don't get discourage!

Did anyone have any "strange" moments during their interviews? In my mind I am pouring over my interviews trying to figure out what I did wrong (rejected a couple of days after interview) and one thing I may have done is that I mentioned "evolution" during my interview. I was discussing denitrification with Dr. Liu and he mentioned how different organisms have different but similar processes and I said, "It's amazing how these processes evolved independently and serve similar functions" and he said "Well I wouldn't say 'evolve' but rather they were 'created'."

I'm wondering if I "sealed my fate" with my evolution remark. Especially with his correction. There were a few more "head-cocking" o_O moments in my interview but this one seems the most pertinent.

*If you were accepted, you may not want to share these moments because they do patrol these boards*

Hi sizillyd, I'm sorry you weren't accepted. I was in your exact shoes last year. You can always contact Barry and ask him for feedback on how you could make yourself a stronger candidate for med school (or something along those lines). That way they can give you feedback on your file and you can learn first hand how to be even more prepared for future interviews you will attend.

Also, try avoiding these slippery slide thoughts in your head, they will only drive you crazy (I was there, it sucks!). In my opinion, it most likely wasn't your comment. They accepted people of many different backgrounds and beliefs for their first class.

Like they said to my group, they wouldn't interview you if they didn't think you would get in this year. Get their feedback, prepare for your next interview, and rest assured there is another school out there that will be an even better fit dor you. Good luck!

Did anyone have any "strange" moments during their interviews? In my mind I am pouring over my interviews trying to figure out what I did wrong (rejected a couple of days after interview) and one thing I may have done is that I mentioned "evolution" during my interview. I was discussing denitrification with Dr. Liu and he mentioned how different organisms have different but similar processes and I said, "It's amazing how these processes evolved independently and serve similar functions" and he said "Well I wouldn't say 'evolve' but rather they were 'created'."

I'm wondering if I "sealed my fate" with my evolution remark. Especially with his correction. There were a few more "head-cocking" o_O moments in my interview but this one seems the most pertinent.

*If you were accepted, you may not want to share these moments because they do patrol these boards*

Thank you for proving the points of all those who have expressed skepticism for this school. Your rejection was a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: 6 users

Thanks for sharing. And yes they do (and other medical schools) patrol these boards. Everyone on here should be very careful about what they say.

Crazy story.

This is a really creepy thread. The folks who have been accepted use really odd language ("...this beautiful school" and "They accepted people of many different backgrounds and beliefs for their first class"). It almost sounds cultish, like a weird mixture of an infomercial and a Jehovah's Witness showing up at your door.

Been noticing the same thing. Kinda like the twilight zone of sdn. *shrugs*

Hi sizillyd, I'm sorry you weren't accepted. I was in your exact shoes last year. You can always contact Barry and ask him for feedback on how you could make yourself a stronger candidate for med school (or something along those lines). That way they can give you feedback on your file and you can learn first hand how to be even more prepared for future interviews you will attend.

Also, try avoiding these slippery slide thoughts in your head, they will only drive you crazy (I was there, it sucks!). In my opinion, it most likely wasn't your comment. They accepted people of many different backgrounds and beliefs for their first class.

Like they said to my group, they wouldn't interview you if they didn't think you would get in this year. Get their feedback, prepare for your next interview, and rest assured there is another school out there that will be an even better fit dor you. Good luck!

You really don't think the comment had nothing to do with it? Im not so sure.

Members don't see this ad :)

Whether it did or didn't have any effect on the outcome, nobody should ever walk out of a medical school interview concerned that using the word "evolution" may result in their rejection.

Reactions: 5 users
Whether it did or didn't have any effect on the outcome, nobody should ever walk out of a medical school interview concerned that using the word "evolution" may result in their rejection.

I agree but in this context its certainly reasonable to believe it did. I'm shocked that he was corrected.

I kinda want to apply and during my interview just mention evolution. Like talking about how I evolved throughout college.

It was not my experience, that's why. Asking the school for feedback is the best way to know for sure how to improve rather than torture yourself with speculation.

I agree but in this context its certainly reasonable to believe it did. I'm shocked that he was corrected.

I kinda want to apply and during my interview just mention evolution. Like talking about how I evolved throughout college.
Do it and let us know how it goes.

It was not my experience, that's why. Asking the school for feedback is the best way to know for sure how to improve rather than torture yourself with speculation.
Did you mention evolution?

Did you mention evolution?
Other controversial topics to non-religious people came up, but I was matter-of-fact about them and it turned out fine the second time around. They knew I did research and studied biochemistry and it showed during my interview. They put a lot of effort into studying your primary and secondary application.

Point is, clearly your issue is with the schools' religious affiliation. I on the other hand welcome the religious environment. It's how I was taught in high school in South America, college in the US, and will be in medical school. It's the kind of environment I want my children to be raised in and was looking for in the schools I interviewed in, and I'm glad I was accepted.

Really, you should apply to LUCOM. That way, if you are invited to an interview and choose to attend, you will at least come back agreeing with us on the beauty of the facilities and campus (twilight enough or should I also use thee and thy on my posts?)

This is a really creepy thread. The folks who have been accepted use really odd language ("...this beautiful school" and "They accepted people of many different backgrounds and beliefs for their first class"). It almost sounds cultish, like a weird mixture of an infomercial and a Jehovah's Witness showing up at your door.

People liking the school isn't creepy. What's creepy and cultish is the fact that trolls on this thread read through the posts daily, waiting for the perfect moment to jump out and say something. Then all the other trolls come out to "like" your post, take over the thread for a page or two, then you go back into hiding, reading and waiting....

Creepy.

Reactions: 2 users
I was not trolling. I was pointing out that there are several posters in this thread that sound like they are writing press releases for the school, and doing it badly. If your school wants to use employees as fake "applicants" that's fine, but they could at least think about what they're writing before they write it.

You assume they are employees because you don't believe someone could actually like this school? Why?

YES: they are diverse and very accepting of different religious backgrounds (perhaps more so than you?), it is a beautiful school sitting on top of a mountain so people are bound to be impressed by the view, the faculty really does impress you with how interesting they are (research, etc) and how friendly they are, and yes they are extremely well put together for a new school. Think I'm working for the school because I said I liked it? Try again.

NO: Jerry falwell Sr's beliefs about aids/whatever have nothing to do with LUCOM. It is a part from the main campus. And yes we have our own library if you can't stand the thought of studying in the Jerry Falwell library. No they don't teach evolution OR creation. They teach medicine. They do teach embryology and I'm surprised that someone would ask if they did since it was a Christian institution. ...what?? I wasn't aware that developing babies were against Christianity since the bible talks about them...hmm. No the doctors won't discriminate against patients that seem like "bigger sinners". Are you kidding me? No the article written by LUCOM faculty wasn't offensive or disgraceful. It embraces the theme of body mind and spirit....the philosophy of osteopathic medicine. Hope you knew that before now.

If you assume that LUCOM doctors won't treat patients for being gay (which is completely absurd) then how should I assume you'll treat a patient who strongly believes in a god that can heal them? Will you call them stupid and dismiss their beliefs completely? Send them to the psych ward? Come on people. You'd still treat them if you are a decent person. You'll learn in any med school that sometimes their religious beliefs can drastically change their emotions and actions, thus affecting their physiological well being. If a patient is dying and they express that they are comforted knowing that they'll be going to heaven, will you tell them there is no heaven and argue with them until you "convert" them? Or will you pray with them or listen to them?

The point is to be understanding. If you can't understand why someone is so passionate about their religion and you dismiss it as sheer ignorance, how will you be a culturally competent physician? How will you reach your patients?

Think about what you are accusing your future colleagues of (assuming you will or already have been accepted somewhere) and have a nice Labor Day.

Reactions: 4 users
Great logic, lol.
People think a beautiful school looks promising, must be employees.

I have no idea what you're talking about, or what Jerry Falwell has to do with anything, or why you are suddenly preoccupied with homosexuality or evolution.

I'm just saying that the wording of many posters in this thread reads like a press release. And it is not the first time on this board that schools have used similar language, written by employees, to promote schools.

Sorry, I was replying to all trolls with that post. :)

Sorry, I was replying to all trolls with that post. :)

I don't understand why it is so difficult for the trolls to get over the fact that the school is nice. I think that they hoped everyone in the first year class would hate it and tell people to not go there, validating their troll ideology.

Seriously people, if you don't like the school, don't apply.

I don't understand why it is so difficult for the trolls to get over the fact that the school is nice. I think that they hoped everyone in the first year class would hate it and tell people to not go there, validating their troll ideology.

Seriously people, if you don't like the school, don't apply.

For you apparently troll = person who doesn't like the school

We are (at least I am) discouraging people from applying because the school's existence is a stain on the osteopathic profession

We are (at least I am) discouraging people from applying because the school's existence is a stain on the osteopathic profession

People can do their own research. Your opinion that this school shouldn't exist is just that - an opinion. In no way is it shameful to educate competent, compassionate physicians to serve people. LUCOM takes to heart the whole philosophy of osteopathic medicine...so how is it a stain? Because of it's religious affiliations? Seems pretty bigoted and intolerant for you to say that. If you are trying to do the research for the other students here (who can obviously do it themselves) then why don't you research all the other faith based institutions like Harvard, Yale, etc. yep. One big fat stain to the world of medicine. Truth is, you really haven't done the research. You haven't talked to anyone that goes to LUCOM or anyone that works there. You base your opinions solely on someone else's who's also never been here. Your ideas and arguments are unoriginal and have already been addressed yet you don't cease to bring them up as if it's something new. Frankly it's sad to see so many future doctors who haven't yet figured out how to think for themselves. You don't know anything about LUCOM yet you claim to be an expert. It looks silly on your part. Really....the people who want to apply will do it regardless of what you say. Your "insight" really isn't helpful here since, like I've said a million times, it is unoriginal, irrelevant, or just simply false.

And yes, troll really does = anyone on this thread that doesn't like the school. You didn't apply, you aren't even interested. You're here just to spread rumors and stir up conflict at 2am when you probably should have something better to do. I'm still not really sure why you care. Shouldn't you be prepping for an interview or something? Bored? Take immunology or something. Brush up on biochem. Take a gross anatomy class. Those things are much more important than trolling sdn.

I interviewed here this past week. They admissions committee talked to us briefly about the beliefs of the school. In no way did it seem that the beliefs of Liberty University as a whole would be detrimental to the education that the medical students receive at LUCOM. I was very impressed with the facilities; amazing patient simulation rooms, state of the art anatomy lab, beautiful brand new lecture halls. The place is awesome, I would be psyched to be accepted here.

Reactions: 4 users
People can do their own research. Your opinion that this school shouldn't exist is just that - an opinion. In no way is it shameful to educate competent, compassionate physicians to serve people. LUCOM takes to heart the whole philosophy of osteopathic medicine...so how is it a stain? Because of it's religious affiliations? Seems pretty bigoted and intolerant for you to say that.

For an interviewer to correct one's use of the word "evolved" with "created"...is troubling.

At this point in the thread readers are aware of what the school believes and that the school is (however strongly or loosely) affiliated with a conservative Christian school. If you are no longer interested in this school, please leave this thread. If you are still interested, let's start talking about secondaries, interviews, etc.. rather than arguing about beliefs. When I come back to this thread.. I really don't want to read through pages of people arguing about beliefs. Thanks all!

For an interviewer to correct one's use of the word "evolved" with "created"...is troubling.

If you knew Dr. Liu you would realize that his response was hilarious and the guy is simply not capable of letting an evolution statement slide. He's done research on creationism and has been published several times, including with Answers in Genesis. He's a genius. And he's my micro prof :) but since this applicant was clearly not the first one to mention evolution there was something else about their application that got them rejected. During lunch at orientation one of my classmates and Dr. Liu were chatting about evolution. HE was accepted regardless of his beliefs. I think that's the point I'm trying to make here. But people want to assume it was due to a fault of the school. If this is your first time applying, then you will probably need to look for a fault in every school since you aren't likely to get every one of them to interview let alone accept you.

User3 - you were on this thread last year too. No luck in 2013?

If you knew Dr. Liu you would realize that his response was hilarious and the guy is simply not capable of letting an evolution statement slide. He's done research on creationism and has been published several times, including with Answers in Genesis. He's a genius. And he's my micro prof :) but since this applicant was clearly not the first one to mention evolution there was something else about their application that got them rejected. During lunch at orientation one of my classmates and Dr. Liu were chatting about evolution. HE was accepted regardless of his beliefs. I think that's the point I'm trying to make here. But people want to assume it was due to a fault of the school. If this is your first time applying, then you will probably need to look for a fault in every school since you aren't likely to get every one of them to interview let alone accept you.

Pretty sure there's no other place on the planet where you would find a young earth creationist teaching microbiology at a medical school.

For all of the people that write here about evolution and whether the school is preparing us to be competent DOs, would you mind answering one question: When shadowing a DO or an MD, how many times did the subject of evolution was mentioned? Honestly because I can't remember the last time any of the three physicians I shadowed mentioning it once. The coolest thing about being a physician is how we serve the patient. Whether we like the patient or not, whether we agree with them or not, we are there for one reason only, to help and serve. Call me crazy but I don't think evolution has put an IV line in any patient or has randomly cure any psych patient - I know these are extreme points but it proves how stupid it is to talk about theory that serves the patient no immediate physical purpose . If you truly believe in the altruistic notion of serving the community as a physician then by all means apply to this school. Yes we all know the system is broken as well as how here in Miami most physicians are getting rich of Medicaid. We are all aware of that. If you want to debate whether evolution plays a role in medical school, then apply to a PhD program and help us create a better environment with evolutionary biology. I personally believe in evolution and have the confidence that it demonstrate how the human body has EVOLVED through out the years and how medicine depends on this evolution. However, once again, this is my believe and it is going to stay as my believe. In the following years, once I'm a physician and have to give someone bad news regarding their loved ones, I'll remember this thread and mention to that family how evolution has change medical field or about my religious believes or who am I voting for in the upcoming elections. After all, this is what life is truly about, useless debates. I'm going to go play with my kids. For all the trolls, enjoy the day, it is truly a BEAUTIFUL day here in the sunshine state.

For next week's debate, let's talk about how minorities like me should not be in medical school.

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-2_13-45-17.png
    upload_2014-9-2_13-45-17.png
    95 bytes · Views: 55

He can't let an evolution statement slide? He is associated with answers in genesis? Oh gosh.

They are doing a mighty fine job of teaching arrogance at your school. Or is it just how you are?

What is so arrogant about user3's statement? He/she simply replied to a comment stating his/her current status as a student because someone thought he/she had no luck last application cycle.

What is so arrogant about user3's statement? He/she simply replied to a comment stating his/her current status as a student because someone thought he/she had no luck last application cycle.
Based on the whole tune he's singing (and to which other trolls subscribe to).

A premed mocking a medical school professor? AT Still is rolling in his grave...

Lol why is AT still rolling in his grave. If AT still saw current osteopathy he would be rolling in his grave. But I doubt he is rolling in his grave because I rewrote what someone else said.

It has been an awesome first month here guys. Please message me for more info if needed about admissions, curriculum, daily life.

These trolls are secretly applying to LUCOM and just hating on this school to increase their chances of acceptance.

These trolls are secretly applying to LUCOM and just hating on this school to increase their chances of acceptance.
That would be a very interesting turn of events indeed, but if it sounds like a horse and looks like a horse I can't call it a zebra, can't I?

That would be a very interesting turn of events indeed, but if it sounds like a horse and looks like a horse I can't call it a zebra, can't I?

Maybe it evolved into a zebra :laugh:

Here all day folks. Don't forget to tip your waitresses

It has been an awesome first month here guys. Please message me for more info if needed about admissions, curriculum, daily life.
How do you like the exams thus far? I hear they are trying to emulate board exams with each test, does it hold up to it?
Have you had OMM training yet? If so, what is it like?

Maybe it evolved into a zebra :laugh:

Here all day folks. Don't forget to tip your waitresses
Please don't derail this thread. If you have to comment, do so elsewhere, not on the official 2014-2015 application thread.