License Application Drama/Comedy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I applied for licensure in a neighboring state back in April. All my application materials, including payments, were received in May. If you are already licensed in another state, in lieu signed forms from pre/post doc supervisors, you just need to submit a letter from an employer stating that you worked for 2 years as a licensed psychologist. This is what I did, and I was I was approved to take the jurisprudence exam on July 17th (you aren't approved for the exam until they have all your materials and fees). I took the exam and was notified of my passing with a few days. As of last Thursday, hadn't heard anything more, and my licensure status was listed online as "pending," so gave them a call.

For some background, here are the relevant application instructions regarding proof of supervised or licensed work experience:

"Verification of work experience submitted directly to this office from the supervisor. Please select this link for the required form. If substituting licensed work experience in lieu of this requirement, please arrange for a letter to be submitted directly to this office from your employer. Applicants in private practice may arrange for a letter to be submitted by a practitioner with whom the applicant had a referral relationship. In either case, the letter must indicate that the applicant worked as a licensed psychologist and provide dates of the employment."

Here is a summation of the conversation I had:

ME (in a professional, calm voice): Hello. I'm calling to check on the status of my license application
WOMAN ON PHONE (in a very pissed of seeming voice): Social
(after some clarification of what she wanted, I gave her my SSN)
WOMAN:We're waiting to receive your forms from your supervisors
ME: I used the licensed work experience option and had my employer submit a letter. I received confirmation that this was received before I was able to take the exam.
WOMAN: Are you in private practice?
ME: No. I worked for an agency and they submitted a letter.
WOMAN: Was it a private agency?
ME: Yes
WOMAN: Then we need a letter from practitioner with whom you've had a referral relationship
ME: I think that's only if your work experience was in private practice and you don't have an employer. I worked for an agency and they submitted letters. I already took and passed the exam, I'm just checking on...
WOMAN (with raised voice): I'll make a note!

She then hung up on me without her or I saying anything else! I immediately sent an email the board review team, detailing my conversation and simply asking if there was anything else I need to do- even if it was just "You'll need to wait until the board meets...". The next day, I get an email from the State congratulating me on obtaining licensure, with my licensure status on the website also updated. Coincidence? Would anything have happened if I didn't call? What if I didn't email? Fortunately for me, this license was for extra work and I was relying on income from that state (plus, all fees were paid by my employer). However, if I needed to work in that state and get paid for it, I'd have been pretty upset. I sent in all my materials in April. I guess the lesson is don't delay in applying, as it can take a long time, and make sure to follow up if things don't seem right. I bet this woman deals with applications for various professions, but she was clueless AND not very professional.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on getting licensed in another state. :)
The license process in various states really seems designed to test our ability to maintain our professional composure under extreme duress.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on getting licensed in another state. :)
The license process in various states really seems designed to test our ability to maintain our professional composure under extreme duress.

I don't disagree, and have definitely heard some horror stories, particularly regarding unhelpful and outright mean office staff. Fortunately, my experiences with my particular state board have all been very positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't disagree, and have definitely heard some horror stories, particularly regarding unhelpful and outright mean office staff. Fortunately, my experiences with my particular state board have all been very positive.
Lucky you! I'm jealous. :p
I had one state with a thoroughly rude and unhelpful office staff, but the process itself was smooth so long as you don't ask any questions or have any problems. The second state had a fairly nice but overworked office staff and the process was difficult to navigate and frustratingly slow. I actually plan on moving to a third state in about 5 years so we will see how that one goes.
:xf:

If it makes you feel better, I'm jealous you were able to get someone to answer the phone!

Been dealing with the NC board since my arrival here attempting to get clarification about various issues. It says on their website "Call us with questions". You call and a message says "We answer calls in-person on X day and Y day". 10 attempts across those two days suggests otherwise. Emailed questions seem to be responded with them copying/pasting the practice act into the body of an email despite that not really addressing the question I'm asking. All I need to know is whether I actually need to apply for provisional licensure right now. I'm trying to defer doing so a few months just because submitting now means I have to take the EPPP around the same time my K is due and I promised myself and my wife I would not do things like that to us anymore.

They seem largely unable/unwilling to answer the question and my best guess is "no, I don't have to apply yet" so I guess that is the plan. If that ends up not being correct, I guess we'll just have to sort it out then...

Lucky you! I'm jealous. :p
I had one state with a thoroughly rude and unhelpful office staff, but the process itself was smooth so long as you don't ask any questions or have any problems. The second state had a fairly nice but overworked office staff and the process was difficult to navigate and frustratingly slow. I actually plan on moving to a third state in about 5 years so we will see how that one goes.
:xf:

Best of luck; third time's a charm hopefully. I'm planning on getting licensed in another state as well, but have no idea how it'll turn out. I actually know someone on the board, though, so maybe that'll help a bit.

If it makes you feel better, I'm jealous you were able to get someone to answer the phone!

Been dealing with the NC board since my arrival here attempting to get clarification about various issues. It says on their website "Call us with questions". You call and a message says "We answer calls in-person on X day and Y day". 10 attempts across those two days suggests otherwise. Emailed questions seem to be responded with them copying/pasting the practice act into the body of an email despite that not really addressing the question I'm asking. All I need to know is whether I actually need to apply for provisional licensure right now. I'm trying to defer doing so a few months just because submitting now means I have to take the EPPP around the same time my K is due and I promised myself and my wife I would not do things like that to us anymore.

They seem largely unable/unwilling to answer the question and my best guess is "no, I don't have to apply yet" so I guess that is the plan. If that ends up not being correct, I guess we'll just have to sort it out then...

Seriously- keep calling up the chain. Go to the commissioner of public health, contact your state rep, whatever it takes. They work for you. There are huge wait lists for many psychological services, and this crap gets in the way of some of the neediest citizens getting services. In the two months of incompetence where I wasn't licensed, I could've potentially diagnosed 20+ toddlers with autism, getting them access to empirically supported treatments that will save the state huge amounts of money in the long term. Those kids are now on a 6-12 month wait list somewhere, not getting what they need.

I don't know if I would complain. They hold the cards and if you don't get licensed, then you can't work. It is as simple as that. Psychologists-to-be are treated very poorly throughout the country and employers who hire us are supposed to pay is to do nothing while we go through the process. Meanwhile, the LPCs can do the work all day long with little or no oversight. To me it is another example of how our national organization is failing us. Maybe I should have complained to the APA as I was going through the process for my second license, but the truth was I was afraid they would not support me and it could have made it worse.

Last edited:
I would advise against complaining. I was stupid enough to do this once. Next license cycle my stuff was "randomly selected for an audit".

Joke was on them. I was completing my MSCP and had like 100+ hours of CE credits that year.

I don't know if I would complain. They hold the cards and if you don't get licensed, then you can't work. It is as simple as that. Psychologists to be are treated very poorly throughout the country and employers who hire us are supposed to pay is to do nothing while we go through the process. Meanwhile, the LPCs can do the work all day long with little or no oversight. To me it is another example of how our national organization is failing us. Maybe I should have complained to the APA as I was going through the process for my second license, but the truth was I was afraid they would not support me and it could have made it worse.

Most definitely don't be a "complaining jerk." Be polite and profession in all communications. Stick to facts, and repeatedly ask what you yourself can do help move things along. Acknowledge the "hard work" and "busy schedules", and don't come off as being entitled or on a crusade. Coming in guns blazing may not be effective and, unfortunately, may lead to retaliation.

In my case, I think the woman I was speaking with probably deals with a seemingly endless string of callers who did not do what they were supposed to do, thus she operates under the usually effective and accurate heuristic of "it's probably the fault of the calling." In this case, that wasn't true, and she did not seem to have another evaluative or decision making process available to her, other than saying "I'll make a note" and hanging up. This kind of thing makes me crazy. I teach OBM and behavioral systems analysis, and know that nobody wins in this type of system. The fix is so easy.

Reactions: 1 user