License question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willrocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SDN'ers,

I have a question regarding licenses. I will be receiving my pharmacist intern license in a few weeks (transferring into year 3 of school in the fall). I am not a registered pharm tech nor have I taken the ptcb, and was not planning on paying the additional fees to register as a tech. Does this intern license outrank the tech license? For example, if I apply to jobs that are posted for pharmacy technicians, and ask for registration as a pharmacy tech, can I still qualify for those jobs, without having to take the ptcb and register separately as a pharmacy technician as well?

Also, is there a specific place where pharmacist intern jobs are posted, or do you just go ask if an employer is looking for an intern? What are typical intern wage rates?

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow SDN'ers,

I have a question regarding licenses. I will be receiving my pharmacist intern license in a few weeks (transferring into year 3 of school in the fall). I am not a registered pharm tech nor have I taken the ptcb, and was not planning on paying the additional fees to register as a tech. Does this intern license outrank the tech license? For example, if I apply to jobs that are posted for pharmacy technicians, and ask for registration as a pharmacy tech, can I still qualify for those jobs, without having to take the ptcb and register separately as a pharmacy technician as well?

Also, is there a specific place where pharmacist intern jobs are posted, or do you just go ask if an employer is looking for an intern? What are typical intern wage rates?

Thanks all.

Pharm interns and pharm techs are in two different worlds with two different jobs and two different licenses.

If you still qualify to work as an intern, you can only work places where there is a preceptor. Depending on your location, your pay might range from $10-$15 or more.

I do not know if intern license is superior to certification, but with regard to internship search I will say this:
1) narrow down your choices of companies you want to work with.
2) get in touch with a store manager and ask how you can find their internship coordinator
3) get in touch with internship coordinator, and they'll be able to direct you.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a shame. I was under the impression that a pharmacist intern license superceded a tech license. So if I apply for a job that is looking for a certified pharm tech, the fact that I am a pharm intern will not matter? And I would have to get tech certified as well?

Thanks.

In the state of California an intern license does indeed supersede a tech license.

I don't have time to find the source but I remember reading it somewhere in the BOP webpage for california.