license requirements for foreign trained dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rika123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!
does anybody know definitely which states allow FTDs to get a dental license with a dental degree from home country and a M.S. from an accredited school in USA?

i was planning to do the same in FLORIDA, but as far as i understand the rules have changed there since 28th march 2012. Anybody has updates on that?or can we still do a 2 or more year M.S. program and appear for license exam in Florida?
please If somebody has some information about this kindly help.
thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

please if somebody has the information, kindly share...

Last time I checked, and it has almost a year now, Minnesota might let you practice after 3 years practicing with a licensed dentist that would be responsible for you for that period of time (there are a few disclosures, but that would be the main thing among other requirements, but I've never seen anyone going through this path). And in Texas you can go to a Residency/MS and be able to practice limited to that area of study, once again there's a big list of requirements.
In Florida I know for sure that you can become a Dental Hygienist just by taking their specific boards/exams for Hygiene (I have two classmates now that where Hygienists in Florida).
Well, that's pretty much all I know about it, and as I said this info is about 1 year old, you can get more current info calling schools or checking state boards websites. I think there are a couple threads on SND that also have some info about it.
Good luck.