Licensing Examination Hong Kong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenny8562180

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am planning to take the licensing exam in Hong Kong in the nearfuture. I understand that there is a multiple choice paper with 240 Questions. Anyone has any idea of what the questions are like and what multiple choice books are useful? If anyone has attempt the exam in the past, it will be great if you can write down the past questions from your memory, it'll be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jenny

Members don't see this ad.

[Hi Jenny

Just returned from a trip to HK. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I am about 85% sure of moving there. Could you shed some light on the application itself? Specifically, 1) the dates of this year's exams, 2) do I have to hold a HK ID to apply? and 3) if the applications forms can be found online.

Thank you so much.
Pete

Hi Jenny

Just returned from a trip to HK. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I am about 85% sure of moving there. Could you shed some light on the application itself? Specifically, 1) the dates of this year's exams, 2) do I have to hold a HK ID to apply? and 3) if the applications forms can be found online.

Thank you so much.
Pete

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Just wondering if the completion of an internship in my own country is a condition for entering the HK workforce. I know that internship has to be repeated in HK even for those who have already completed one in their home countries. Is it possible to start internship in HK straight away upon graduation from med school elsewhere? Isn't it almost impossible for overseas-trained doctors to gain an internship spot nowadays in HK given that the number of spots is almost equal to the number of HK med grads each year? They barely have enough spots for their own students.

Hello,
just wondering if you are taking the exam this year. the exam is exrtreeeeeeeeeeemly tough. Am sitting for it this year .hoping to hear from ya....ice.

Last edited:
hi ice_maiden and jenny

i too sitting for the exam this september.....

where are u now ? in Hong Kong are out of hongkong ????

i am in Hong Kong now, if u are in Hong Kong , can we discuss further or may be meet some day and see what can be done.

u can reach me at [email protected]
or [email protected]

thanks

Hello ,
Yeah i am in HK now. I have written to ur email id.Hope to hear from u soon.

Hi all,

I've been following up on your posts and it looks pretty intimidating trying to head back to HK to practice. I'm currently just applying to med schools now. I am not sure whether I want to practice in the US or HK in the future. So I want to find out how hard it would be for me to return to HK to practice if I went to a top US med school.

Is the HK exam similar to the USMLE? How do you go about studying for it? Are there books? Does the licensing board publish a the list of covered topics?

I am fluent in Cantonese, but I cannot write well anymore, is that going to present a problem if I were to practice in HK?

Also, even if I passed this licensing exam, how hard will it be to get a good residency in Hong Kong?

Thank you
Eugene

hi everybody

could somebody provide mbbs final year text books syllabus of HongKong University ?

thanks

if i were u .......i would definitely go for US.

many many reasons.........for that.

anyway,,, wish u luck , wherever u think appropriate.
thanks

Hi

I am planning to take the licensing exam in Hong Kong too.

nice to meet you all

hi pp

whre are u ?? in hk or out of hk ?

either way do contact me in [email protected]

i am also prep for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
century said:
hi pp

whre are u ?? in hk or out of hk ?

either way do contact me in [email protected]

i am also prep for it.

Thanks Century, I have sent emails to you already. nice to meet you.

eugene8080 said:
Hi all,

I've been following up on your posts and it looks pretty intimidating trying to head back to HK to practice. I'm currently just applying to med schools now. I am not sure whether I want to practice in the US or HK in the future. So I want to find out how hard it would be for me to return to HK to practice if I went to a top US med school.

Is the HK exam similar to the USMLE? How do you go about studying for it? Are there books? Does the licensing board publish a the list of covered topics?

I am fluent in Cantonese, but I cannot write well anymore, is that going to present a problem if I were to practice in HK?

Also, even if I passed this licensing exam, how hard will it be to get a good residency in Hong Kong?

Thank you
Eugene

Same question here, any takers please?
Many thanks.

Hi all:

Do you guy know if anyone has ever passed the HKMLE recently? I agree with ice, from what I have heard, it is a very diff exam. And passing the exam might not secure a job in HK either!

anyway just another thought

Cheers

hi guys.....

WHAT ARE U STUDYING THESE DAYS ???

MCQS OR TEXT BOOKS ????

Hi there century,
Started on the HKMLE last month-----trying to do both---some reading and mcq's---but pretty tough i must say!!! What about u? All the best ......
ice

Hello,
does anyone here know how to go about to take HK licensing exam for us docs completed residency?

Am planning to sit for Part 2 of exam this year, if anyone has information regarding marking scheme, etc. Passed Part 1 in 2005 - yes, very tough indeed.

Fushingbayloo

I'm also a candidate for HKMLE 2006.........
How are you guys getting the result this week? via email?....
I know this blog after the exam, are you guys keeping in touch for the exam? The exam really makes me feel helpless!!!

Hi all,

Thank you
Eugene

Hi Eugene,
I'm new here and not sure if you've already applied your med school yet. I think it really depends where you want to have your parctice after Med School. I think the training in the 2 places you've mentioned is very different, but the point is the HKMLE is much difficult c.f. the USMLE, if I were you, I would study in HK and sit for the USMLE; least EACH of the US graduates have to sit for the exam, but the HK's only for outsiders.

Hello,
Anybody sitting for the clinical exam this November? It would be good to have some discussions if possible.Hope to hear from you'll soon.
ice.

Just discovered this post. May I know what specialties you guys are going into? Is it true that US grad has to repeat residency if want to practice in HK? Any exception?

Thanks a lot.

Hello,
Anybody sitting for the clinical exam this November? It would be good to have some discussions if possible.Hope to hear from you'll soon.
ice.

hi ice
i have passed the part one of HKMLE and have applied for the clinical part of HKMLE...i have no idea how to prepare for this exam..this part is quite extensive.. i shall be pleased to have response from you through e mail to [email protected]..... thanks and good luck..

Am planning to sit for Part 2 of exam this year, if anyone has information regarding marking scheme, etc. Passed Part 1 in 2005 - yes, very tough indeed.

Fushingbayloo

hi
i ma dentist from india
i would to know about the syllabus n general info abot the exam

Hi all,

I'm a resident in Australia and am studying for the HKMLE this year. If any of you has any tips to give at all it would be most appreciated... thanks so much to all in advance. I'm probably going to try both parts I and III this year.

hi
i am a year3 MB student in China (learning in englsih) and i am planning to take the LMCHK after graduation. can we join together during preparation and share our resourses?

my msn: [email protected]

hello guys im just new here...im palnning to take the HK licensure exam too...i heard its really hard, well, a friend actually took it unfortunately she did not make it...anybody from you who can give us tips on what to study PLS...thanks

I am planning to apply for the exam this april, nice to meet you guys.
My msn and email are [email protected]
Hope you hear from you guys and discuss revision strategy.

HALo!
I am doing medicine in UK at the moment, and planning to do this exam in the future! So it would be great if I can get some advice and tips!!!Coz I heard this exam is extremely difficult!!

THANK YOU!

Hi guys,

I am doing medicine in the UK. I would also be taking the licensing exam in the future!!! I am going to go to do an elective in CUHK and HKU this summer, and hopefully I will find out more about the Licensing exam and how to prepare for it from the local students and doctors. It would be great to know people who have passed the exam!!!! I am Ronald and could be contacted through facebook (Ronald Tong) Thx!!!

i am taking the medical exams this year for hong kong and i wanted to find out what they are like etc. i would really appreciate it

hi there

i have just moved into hong kong and i want to write the licentiate exams as well. have you found out any info about them or if there are any study groups happening. would really appreciate the help.
thanks

hi
also writing this year. have you found out any details or about any possible study groups. please let me know if you have.
thanks

For those of you who did the HK Licensing Exam, how did you do? Was it harder than USMLE (if someone took both)? I'm a US med student and planning to go back to HK after grad. MCHK only give out a very vague guide line for the contents of the exam. Can anyone give me more insight? Any US grad who are working in HK now?