Licensure in California?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AppsAintNoThang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here I am, with a doctorate in psychology from a good school- and yet I can't for the life of me figure out the licensure process in California. I've recently finished internship and have my degree. I've started a post-doc. In CA, you must have 1500 hours to take the EPPPP but 3000 to be licensed.

I have the 1500- do I send in the actual licensure application now to get approved for the EPPP or is there another process? Would they hold onto my paperwork for a year until I have my 3000 hours in? Seems risky.

Before you suggest I ask the Board, I've attempted to this week and they refer me to their website- which has zero reference (as far as I can tell) to this aspect of the process.

Anyone have insight?

Members don't see this ad.

When I submitted my application last fall, I used the BreEZe system through the Department of Consumer Affairs website. Immediately after submitting the online application, I received emails verifying receipt of payment and application, along with a PDF version of the completed application for my records. I would personally recommend this route since you get proof of submission right away that you don't get when you mail in a paper application and check. After submitting the online application, I had my doctoral program send off my transcripts, in addition to asking my internship supervisor to send in my verification of experience (VOE) and supervised professional experience (SPE) documents covering the 1,500 pre-doctoral hours. About a month later, I received letter in the mail from a licensing analyst requesting that I sign and return a form asserting that I had never been convicted of a crime, which I promptly returned.

I emailed the licensing analyst who had sent the aforementioned letter asking if my transcripts, SPE, and VOE documents had been received but she never replied. When I called the her office number two weeks later, the voice message said that she had left her position one day after I had emailed her. At that point, I reached out directly to Tammey Bailey (a lead licensing analyst) over the phone and she confirmed recipe of all these documents. A few days later, I received an email (from another analyst) telling me I was approved for the EPPP, along with how to register for the exam.

After accruing my 1,500 postdoc hours, I had my supervisor send in those SPE and VOE forms, along with a form requesting to take to CPLEE (and the required check for payment). Once I passed the CPLEE, I was given a print-out at the testing center telling me I had met all the requirements and I just had to complete this last form and send in my payment for initial licensure. About two weeks later, I received an email telling me I was licensed. Overall, the process wasn't too bad, although I did find being a "squeaky wheel" useful at points. The Board never lost/misplaced any of my documents but I always made copies of everything before mailing documents in to be on the safe side. Good luck with the process!

Reactions: 4 users
The licensure process in California is indeed confusing. There is a YouTube video that breaks since down a bit but still not 100% clear. From your post, it sounds like you may not have gotten your degree in CA so also double check their education requirements. You should definitely start the process now - they are severely understaffed which means it goes very slow. You basically submit an application with verification of your internship hours (all forms you can find online). You then get approved for EPPP. Also make sure that your hours are through a sanctioned program because if not you have to register as a psych assistant and that is an entirely different process. None of your postdoc hours count until you get registered as a psych assistant. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I submitted my application last fall, I used the BreEZe system through the Department of Consumer Affairs website. Immediately after submitting the online application, I received emails verifying receipt of payment and application, along with a PDF version of the completed application for my records. I would personally recommend this route since you get proof of submission right away that you don't get when you mail in a paper application and check. After submitting the online application, I had my doctoral program send off my transcripts, in addition to asking my internship supervisor to send in my verification of experience (VOE) and supervised professional experience (SPE) documents covering the 1,500 pre-doctoral hours. About a month later, I received letter in the mail from a licensing analyst requesting that I sign and return a form asserting that I had never been convicted of a crime, which I promptly returned.

I emailed the licensing analyst who had sent the aforementioned letter asking if my transcripts, SPE, and VOE documents had been received but she never replied. When I called the her office number two weeks later, the voice message said that she had left her position one day after I had emailed her. At that point, I reached out directly to Tammey Bailey (a lead licensing analyst) over the phone and she confirmed recipe of all these documents. A few days later, I received an email (from another analyst) telling me I was approved for the EPPP, along with how to register for the exam.

After accruing my 1,500 postdoc hours, I had my supervisor send in those SPE and VOE forms, along with a form requesting to take to CPLEE (and the required check for payment). Once I passed the CPLEE, I was given a print-out at the testing center telling me I had met all the requirements and I just had to complete this last form and send in my payment for initial licensure. About two weeks later, I received an email telling me I was licensed. Overall, the process wasn't too bad, although I did find being a "squeaky wheel" useful at points. The Board never lost/misplaced any of my documents but I always made copies of everything before mailing documents in to be on the safe side. Good luck with the process!

Wow, this is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user
The licensure process in California is indeed confusing. There is a YouTube video that breaks since down a bit but still not 100% clear. From your post, it sounds like you may not have gotten your degree in CA so also double check their education requirements. You should definitely start the process now - they are severely understaffed which means it goes very slow. You basically submit an application with verification of your internship hours (all forms you can find online). You then get approved for EPPP. Also make sure that your hours are through a sanctioned program because if not you have to register as a psych assistant and that is an entirely different process. None of your postdoc hours count until you get registered as a psych assistant. Good luck!

Thank you! By "sanctioned program" you mean an APA or APPIC listed program, right?

Yeah, you just mail in the paper application or do it online. I mailed it in and got approved to take the EPPP within a few weeks.

Hah, I watched that #$(*& video 3 times and it wasn't all that helpful!! :)

I also went through the Breeze application for the first step of getting approved to take the EPPP, but you will have to send in the other items separately (transcript, verification of experience). For the verification of experience form, if you did your internship out of state be sure to have your internship TD fill out that form, rather than the in-state form which requires a supervision agreement at the beginning of training, etc. I got an email once my application was received, and when I didn't hear anything about the EPPP approval, I emailed my contact back and found out that I was missing some items. So -- be sure to check in with them! I would also recommend making copies of everything that you send so that you can re-send if needed.

Sorry, by "sanctioned" I was referring to your postdoc. It does not need to be an APA-accredited postdoc per se. For example, if you are doing a postdoc at one of the UCs (or any university I believe but not 100% correct), then the postdoc is already "sanctioned" and I don't believe you need to register in any way for postdoc hours (just submit the verification of hours form when you are done). If you work for a non-profit agency that fits specific criteria (if I recall, it requires a minimum percentage of their funding source to come from MediCal), you have to register as a "registered psychologist" before your postdoc hours count. Any other agency (non-profit or not), you need to register as a "psychological assistant." And yes this is all very confusing and time-consuming to figure out, I actually could not use the first two months of my postdoc hours because I was not registered yet. Definitely check in with your clinical supervisors at your postdoc if you do not know the answer to this.

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread! I have another related question. I'm hoping to complete the EPPP in the next couple months. I have used the Breeze system to start my application and have had my transcripts and other forms submitted by my internship training director. What I have NOT completed is the extra course work (domestic violence, etc.) as well as fingerprinting. Do I need to have all of that completed BEFORE I will get the go-ahead from the California Board to sit for the EPPP? Can I just go ahead and submit my BREEZE application and then go back later to upload my extra coursework verification forms as well as my fingerprinting? Bascially, I just want to take the EPPP asap so if I can submit my application now before submitting these other forms I'd like to.

Thanks in advance for your help!

No, I took the EPPP before the coursework earlier this year, so you should be able to go ahead. I submitted the online application before the courses were done and then submitted my course certificates to my assigned board person in between the EPPP and the CPLEE.

No, I took the EPPP before the coursework earlier this year, so you should be able to go ahead. I submitted the online application before the courses were done and then submitted my course certificates to my assigned board person in between the EPPP and the CPLEE.
Perfect. Do you remember if you did your Live Scan before you submitted your application?

I just took the EPPP in CA- didn't submit coursework or livescan with my initial application

If pre-doc internship hours are being accrued outside of California, does the BoP's supervision agreement need to be filled out? I keep getting mixed answers on this. I know there is a separate out of state VoE form. Thanks

I did my internship out of state, and as far as I recall, no. I think it was just the VoE and make sure that it's the correct out-of-state one or you'll have to have your supervisor redo it (speaking from experience!). I'm pretty sure you can't retroactively fill out a supervision agreement.