Lies about pharmacist job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

River Grove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These people are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Notice the people who tell others to 'not enter' or 'get out while you can' are staying in pharm schools themselves. They also have no data to back up their claims. Fact is, pharmacist unemployment rate is 3%, less than the average national rate 5%. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Don't listen.
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacists.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4678742/
http://www.ajpe.org/doi/pdf/10.5688/ajpe80344

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN. Since this was your first post, do give a brief introduction of yourself. To start, please tell us the company or pharmacy school you work for and if you have a personal stake in having more pharmacists enter the workforce. Care to share your agenda?

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Economic Analysis of Obtaining a PharmD Degree and Career as a Pharmacist
Marie A. Chisholm-Burns, PharmD, MPH, MBA,
corrauth.gif
Justin Gatwood, PhD, MPH, and Christina A. Spivey, PhD
Corresponding Author:
Marie Chisholm-Burns, PharmD, MPH, MBA, FCCP, FASHP, University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Pharmacy, 881 Madison Ave., Suite 264, Memphis, TN 38163

******************************************************************************************
Break-Even Income Analysis of Pharmacy Graduates Compared to High School and College Graduates Marie A. Chisholm-Burns, PharmD, MPH, MBA, Justin Gatwood, PhD, MPH, Christina A. Spivey, PhD, Susan E. Dickey, BA

**********************************************************************************

What have they got now in the tiny state of Tennessee? 65 pharmacy schools?

Pharmacy schools in Tennessee:
Tennessee (6)

Tennessee
Belmont University
College of Pharmacy
1900 Belmont Boulevard
Nashville, TN 37212
615-460-6748

East Tennessee State University
Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy
Office of the Dean
Box 70436
Johnson City, TN 37614
423-439-2068

Lipscomb University
College of Pharmacy
One University Park Drive
Nashville, TN 37204
615-966-7160

South College
School of Pharmacy
400 Goody's Lane
Knoxville, TN 37922
865-251-1800

The University of Tennessee
College of Pharmacy
881 Madison Avenue, 2nd Floor
Memphis, TN 38163
901-448-6802

Union University
School of Pharmacy
1050 Union University Drive
Jackson, TN 38305
731-661-5081

This guy is a troll. This was a variation on a post on Indeed six years ago:

"Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!"

http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/Pharmacist/Lies-about-pharmacist-job-market/t264349

Reactions: 1 users
Meanwhile, CVS, Kroger, WAGS and Walmart have informed me that in my state there are absolutely zero positions available (outside of per-diem) due to the recent graduating class. It's pretty much the same story, if I'd inquired about 6 months ago I'd find someplace, but WAGS alone told me they picked up 13 new grads in a town of 400,000 alone. Nothing else to do but keep trying for a hospital/ltc position, get recruiters out of state serious about me or just wait it out here. And we only have one pharmacy school!

Reactions: 3 users
Meanwhile, CVS, Kroger, WAGS and Walmart have informed me that in my state there are absolutely zero positions available (outside of per-diem) due to the recent graduating class. It's pretty much the same story, if I'd inquired about 6 months ago I'd find someplace, but WAGS alone told me they picked up 13 new grads in a town of 400,000 alone. Nothing else to do but keep trying for a hospital/ltc position, get recruiters out of state serious about me or just wait it out here. And we only have one pharmacy school!
What state are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Go to www.pharmacymanpower.com and view the 10 year trend. Demand has been going down steadily as supply increases. Less desirable areas still have moderate demand, but are also trending downward. The NE is already in a state of oversupply, which plenty of pharmacists on here have attested to.

Seriously, you need to stop with this. Teenagers graduating high-school with little real world knowledge and a lot of hope will gravitate towards posts like yours and ignore the facts, only to find themselves in a very difficult position down the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
LoL which school do you work for, OP?

Reactions: 2 users

Many new grads are lucky to get floating positions in rural Ohio. Pharmacy is getting very competitive and for good cause. There are lots of schools and they are very easy to get into.

April 1st was 38 days ago. A little too late!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These people are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Notice the people who tell others to 'not enter' or 'get out while you can' are staying in pharm schools themselves. They also have no data to back up their claims. Fact is, pharmacist unemployment rate is 3%, less than the average national rate 5%. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Don't listen.

No one is lying. If you don't go to pharmacy school...someone else will. The trend of pharmacy schools opening and graduates flooding the market is unstoppable. No one on here can stop it...so people aren't telling you this because they're trying to save a few seats from being filled.

Reactions: 1 user

Strong first post. Notice the people who tell others to 'not enter' are actually pharmacists working in the field. Thanks for the laugh though on your "tons of money" statement. I'm sure all those students thought they would be working for pennies until you enlightened them ;)

We are not saying there are no jobs. We are just warning the horde of people who are applying to realize there are only 2 pharmacy chains out there CVS and Walgreens and at this time, they are no longer expanding or obtaining smaller chains. What this means is they will probably will hire but not the way they use too where if you had a degree they simply told you to show up and work. Also, we want to warn people that retail sucks hard. End of message.

Pharmacists are trending the way of social workers and lawyers....yes, there will always been a need for new grads, but most grads are going to have a difficult time finding a job in their field, and when they do, it won't be the job they envisioned they would be doing. If one has a driving passion to be a social worker, lawyer, or pharmacist--by all means, they should do it. But people doing it because they think it will be an "easy" job, or they will get "rich", are setting themselves up for a major disappointment.

Reactions: 5 users
No need to worry kids. Don't let these negative comments get to you. These people may actually work as pharmacists, but they don't know pharmacy as much as you. You know this because you have a "passion" for pharmacy despite never having worked in one.

Sure, retail has stopped expanding, hospitals have no use for clinical pharmacist services, and most of the country is saturated. However, all these naysayers fail to realize the great need for PharmDs in the hot, new field of pharmacy education.

Because the ACPE and AACP are worthless organizations with no ethics or integrity, it will be a matter of time before the University of Phoenix, Devry University, and ITT Tech all open schools of pharmacy.

These schools are hurting and they need that sweet, sweet student loan money from suga daddy Uncle Sam. They will see the light that many non-science-based, bible-beater colleges have come to see and they will open the tenth, twentieth or thirtieth pharmacy school in your state. You, with your PGY-7 powerpoint presentation training will be there to take the reins and train the next generation of pharmacy students, who will have GPAs of ~1.0, PCAT scores in the single digits, and 200K in student loan eligibility.

Hell, don't even bother working or networking in school, because the minute you get that diploma, you'll be drowning in sign-on bonuses and job offers.

Reactions: 10 users
Just a quick update, I got a message from a Big-Box recruiter to call about a full time position I applied for. We get to talking and, turns out, this position is only 27 hours in the particular wasteland town. I ask if I can float up to 36 at least and they say it's a no-go, that it's pretty far from other stores and they're all "adequately" staffed. This morning I get sent this letter:

Hi Schwimmy,

We’re truly grateful that you applied for our xxxxxxxxx 80hr Staff Pharmacist position. At this time, we’ve determined that other candidates have qualifications that better align to this particular role, but we’d love to stay in touch.

I can't wait until Trump University announces the opening of their new School of Pharmacy.

Pharmacotherapeutics + The Art of the Deal + $300K of student loan debt = #WIN

Just a quick update, I got a message from a Big-Box recruiter to call about a full time position I applied for. We get to talking and, turns out, this position is only 27 hours in the particular wasteland town. I ask if I can float up to 36 at least and they say it's a no-go, that it's pretty far from other stores and they're all "adequately" staffed. This morning I get sent this letter:

Hi Schwimmy,

We’re truly grateful that you applied for our xxxxxxxxx 80hr Staff Pharmacist position. At this time, we’ve determined that other candidates have qualifications that better align to this particular role, but we’d love to stay in touch.

Chains are trying to pass 27 hours as full-time? That's just gross. It feels like every Publix full-time job posting is for 30 hours.

Add this to the list of reasons I'm glad I did not compromised went hospital no matter what.

Chains are trying to pass 27 hours as full-time? That's just gross. It feels like every Publix full-time job posting is for 30 hours.

Add this to the list of reasons I'm glad I did not compromised went hospital no matter what.

I noticed that too, there's even some "20 hours /w/ benefits" listings from ShopKo. If I were single, I'd go after a 20 hr/wk job at a Sam's Club and "retire", but the wife wants a house and I hear that children cost money too, so the extra cash would probably be handy. Not sure I'd be not-lazy enough to get over the learning curve of a hospital job, but if one fell into my lap I'd probably take it.

Edit: It's not that 27 hours is full-time, it's that somehow 40/wk = 27/wk... Maybe they're desperate to attract attention to the town.

Hi Schwimmy,

Well, technically they didn't lie and say 80 hrs/week. I assume they meant 80 hrs/month. Or maybe 80 hrs every 2 months. Who knows? The letter you received is an excellent example of "buyer beware".

Well, technically they didn't lie and say 80 hrs/week. I assume they meant 80 hrs/month. Or maybe 80 hrs every 2 months. Who knows? The letter you received is an excellent example of "buyer beware".

In the job listing.

Employment Type: Full Time

Do you work for ACPE?

I like how this was posted last Monday and the OP has yet to reply LOL

I like how this was posted last Monday and the OP has yet to reply LOL

You surprised? OP's first and only post. It is obviously another troll post. While there is some truth to either point of view that can certainly be hashed out, it's tough to have an intelligent discussion about the things with the amount of BS posts around. The trolling is so thick here that you now have trolls seeding topics just to generate more threads. It's been happening a lot along with folks trashing their (supposed) own profession. I guess it shows that there is indeed a certain amount of weird and obsessive people floating around Pharmacy with a LOT of free time on their hands. I don't know what's worse, the person who bothers to take the time to start such threads or the person who takes the time to read it. Although I actually didn't read all of the thread (would usually skim and skip these types of threads), I guess I'm guilty of perpetuating it too by virtue of responding to it and thus making it longer and bumping it to the top.

You surprised? OP's first and only post. It is obviously another troll post. While there is some truth to either point of view that can certainly be hashed out, it's tough to have an intelligent discussion about the things with the amount of BS posts around. The trolling is so thick here that you now have trolls seeding topics just to generate more threads. It's been happening a lot along with folks trashing their (supposed) own profession. I guess it shows that there is indeed a certain amount of weird and obsessive people floating around Pharmacy with a LOT of free time on their hands. I don't know what's worse, the person who bothers to take the time to start such threads or the person who takes the time to read it. Although I actually didn't read all of the thread (would usually skim and skip these types of threads), I guess I'm guilty of perpetuating it too by virtue of responding to it and thus making it longer and bumping it to the top.

if its any solace, dentistry is the same. Plus since we're on the pharmacy board, my dad is a pharmacy manager at Wal-Mart (dont me ask why he chose to do that lol). Makes 160k in Northern CA l but he definitely does not have that "pharmacy is a great career" vibe anymore because of the rampant saturation. And mind you he is out towards the boonies - you would figure there would be positions available in those neck of the woods.

Is that you netmag?

The only troll here is you. You even went after me in the pre-pharm forum using an ad hominem attack. So lame. :yuck:

If you wish to be taken seriously, you may want to argue against the points being made, not the people making them. :flame:

It seems like SDN Pharmacy is "triggering" you. Please elaborate to us your argument why pharmacy is not going in the wrong direction? Or why it is a comfortable career? Or how the proliferation of schools has not diminished the prestige of pharmacy? Or any other point you want to make to the readers of these forums.

You want an intelligent discussion right? Is resorting to personal attacks (ad hominem) the way to go?

saturation is happening in every profession. No doubt pharmacy is saturating , but saturation is a relative term. For me, i only have two paths to choose from either PHD or PharmD. For PHD, sure I wont have any loan, but I prob will struggle to even find a 30k post doc job.....I pick my poison on pharmacy. We shall see how it goes.

saturation is happening in every profession. No doubt pharmacy is saturating , but saturation is a relative term. For me, i only have two paths to choose from either PHD or PharmD. For PHD, sure I wont have any loan, but I prob will struggle to even find a 30k post doc job.....I pick my poison on pharmacy. We shall see how it goes.

At least as a PhD you are learning something useful and contributing to humankind with research into new mechanisms and possible pharmaceutical pathways. To choose the path of pharmD is to accept a grunt position as a glorified bank teller with hardly any real value to society. PharmD is just memorizing things more intelligent individuals have already discovered.

To choose the path of pharmD is to accept a grunt position as a glorified bank teller with hardly any real value to society. PharmD is just memorizing things more intelligent individuals have already discovered.

While I concur with everyone here about the saturation of the job market, if this is what you think of the profession, we have no future here.

At least as a PhD you are learning something useful and contributing to humankind with research into new mechanisms and possible pharmaceutical pathways. To choose the path of pharmD is to accept a grunt position as a glorified bank teller with hardly any real value to society. PharmD is just memorizing things more intelligent individuals have already discovered.

My bachelor's in Chemistry was actually more intellectually stimulating than the PhamD program.

Somewhat True....During first year PHD, u also learning things individual already discovered. Biochemistry mostly.........The purpose PHD might seems grandiose. You are making innovation and contribute to Mankind. In reality, You can spend more time mixing solution and pi-petting for years without seeing an expected outcome. The problem is that in academic science, the incentives are to train as many graduate students/postdocs as possible. They are cheap labor that allow labs to run with lower than free market paid, highly skilled workers and the more there are, the easier it is for the established scientists to run their labs. Doesn't matter that they are "training" for positions that will never exist. It is kinda sad because pharmacy is gradually turning this way also.

Last edited:

Are you Asian? Why are those the only options?
I agree PhD isn't a path to a stable financial career compared to PharmD. It should probably only be pursued by people who are genuinely interested in the field and don't care about getting a ~50k job after years of work. PhD's do grunt work in disguise while getting paid zilch for it.

Somewhat True....During first year PHD, u also learning things individual already discovered. Biochemistry mostly.........The purpose PHD might seems grandiose. You are making innovation and contribute to Mankind. In reality, You can spend more time mixing solution and pi-petting for years without seeing an expected outcome. The problem is that in academic science, the incentives are to train as many graduate students/postdocs as possible. They are cheap labor that allow labs to run with lower than free market paid, highly skilled workers and the more there are, the easier it is for the established scientists to run their labs. Doesn't matter that they are "training" for positions that will never exist. It is kinda sad because pharmacy is gradually turning this way also.
Not true.

I had a cousin who went to a top PhD program in Statistics. He had multiple offers lined up for him even before he graduated. All of them had salary ranges above 100K with nice benefits. He took the job in a highly desirable coastal city in California. No debt. No Post-Doc.

PhDs can be lucrative if you know what field is in demand.

This board has more than enough info about the pharmacy job market. Know what you are getting into before you commit. You are not promised a job at the end just because you have a professional degree.

Last edited:
Not true.

I had a cousin who went to a top PhD program in Statistics. He had multiple offers lined up for him even before he graduated. All of them had salary ranges above 100K with nice benefits. He took the job in a highly desirable coastal city in California. No debt. No Post-Doc.

This board has more than enough info about the pharmacy job market. Know what you are getting into before you commit. You are not promised a job at the end just because you have a professional degree.

Statistics/Math majors make alot of money. Many of them go on to become actuaries or staffed at banks/hedge funds. Anyway, back on topic.....

How in demand can a statistics phD be? I learned mean, median and mode in like 4th grade.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How in demand can a statistics phD be? I learned mean, median and mode in like 4th grade.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Very in demand. Mean, median and mode is kiddy stuff. The real juicy stuff that industry and medical research need is beyond even seasoned scientists and doctors involved in research.

Some universities have stats departments that are separate from the math departments (They're that hot).

Having in-depth knowledge of statistics will allow you to get jobs easily in government (defense, public health, economics), education (medical and basic science research), and private sector industry (actuary, finance, research).

Unlike pharmacy school, the qualifying exams are difficult because the grad school will be paying you to do research. No joke exams like PCAT or NAPLEX.

Last edited:
if its any solace, dentistry is the same. Plus since we're on the pharmacy board, my dad is a pharmacy manager at Wal-Mart (dont me ask why he chose to do that lol). Makes 160k in Northern CA l but he definitely does not have that "pharmacy is a great career" vibe anymore because of the rampant saturation. And mind you he is out towards the boonies - you would figure there would be positions available in those neck of the woods.
How is dentistry the same?

on occasion there will be a poster on the pre-dental/dentistry board saying dont go into dentistry, its not worth it, blah blah, saturation, etc.
There is sooooo much debt involved in becoming a dentist. 250K alone for tuition and fees (no living expenses included) at my nearby public school. 500K for private schools. Then you have to shell out a fortune to get your practice going (unless a family member already owns a practice).

Not for the faint of heart. It's no wonder the competition for Dental HPSP scholarships have intensified in the last few years.

Last edited:
There is sooooo much debt involved in becoming a dentist. 250K alone for tuition and fees (no living expenses included) at my nearby public school. 500K for private schools. Then you have to shell out a fortune to get your practice going (unless a family member already owns a practice).

Not for the faint of heart. It's no wonder the competition for Dental HPSP scholarships have intensified in the last few years.

plus the best jobs for opening a successful practice tend to be in very rural areas (with some exceptions of course). People dont realize how rural we're talking about until they actually try to go from the airport or city to the actual place.

And plus applicants think getting admitted into their state school is pretty simple.

Not true.

Ppl in computer, engineering and stat r making a fortune right now.... Even entry level data scientist r making six figure. Being a data scientist is not that easy. It required combination of skill in programming and statistics. A combination of skills not in huge supply anyway.
My argument is only valid for PHD in basic science. The market is tight for lab-bound scientists in biology and chemistry.

So are these data scientists the same dinguses who came up with useless **** that doesn't work like MySchedule and the rest of the stupid metrics CVS comes up with that people spend a solid 20% of their work day trying to work around?

So are these data scientists the same dinguses who came up with useless **** that doesn't work like MySchedule and the rest of the stupid metrics CVS comes up with that people spend a solid 20% of their work day trying to work around?

Rumors are the top data scientist gravitate toward major tech companies such as Google, Microsoft, etc. or startups that pay higher than average high salaries with lavish perks including catered gourmet meals, open bars, on-site dry cleaning services, etc. Everyone else is left with mediocre to incompetent ones, as there are not enough of them to fill the gap.

Rumors are the top data scientist gravitate toward major tech companies such as Google, Microsoft, etc. or startups that pay higher than average high salaries with lavish perks including catered gourmet meals, open bars, on-site dry cleaning services, etc. Everyone else is left with mediocre to incompetent ones, as there are not enough of them to fill the gap.

The genesis of all the frustrations of my life have just been succinctly explained to me in a paragraph.