Life decision between Texas tech vs. Texas a&m

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently got accepted to both school .Im excited with the news however I need to make decision which school I should go ....any suggestion ?????

Members don't see this ad.

isn't A&M a significantly better school that Tech?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A&M is in the SEC so you should go there. Better football conference.

UT or go home! It's the best one by far.

a&m kingsville is a fairly new program and it's in the valley. I would probably go with Texas tech

Reactions: 1 user
If A&M's school of pharmacy was in the same city as the main campus, then it would be a better choice :)
Texas Tech's pharmacy program is the best in Texas from what I gathered while doing my applications.

Thanks everyone for reply.... I decided to go Texas A&M

If A&M's school of pharmacy was in the same city as the main campus, then it would be a better choice :)
Texas Tech's pharmacy program is the best in Texas from what I gathered while doing my applications.
They just open new campus at college station this year

I was accepted to both of these programs when I was applying. I chose to go to Texas Tech. For me, it was an easy decision, and would again be an easy decision. I have seen other respected pharmacy schools in other states since this and interacted with their students (the medical school I attend has a pharmacy school), and have been impressed with how Tech's resources and students' knowledge and professionalism compare. The truth is that Texas Tech has a very strong reputation in the state of Texas. When I did a hospital summer internship after P1, the pharmacy director and clinical pharmacy director chose Tech students for both spots from over 40 applicants which included applicants from UT and A&M, because they were unimpressed with the quality of applicants from other schools, even though they had originally planned to take only one student per school. When it comes to clinical hospital pharmacy, Texas Tech gets the edge, even over UT. If you think you may at all be interested in anything other than retail pharmacy, Tech would be the right choice.

Also, A&M is a relatively new program, while Tech has had their PharmD program since 1996 and has a history of great and stable leadership (Dean Nelson was an experienced dean before coming to Tech and led from 1996 to 2012, really establishing and rooting the school). From day 1, Tech gears their students to be prepared for clinical pharmacy and to apply for internships and residency. A&M also seems like a quality program where you will receive an acceptable education, but your internship, job, and post-grad residency prospects may not be as good depending on what your interests are. Good luck!

Last edited:
Tech has the superior reputation. Shame but good luck with A&M.

Tech has the superior reputation. Shame but good luck with A&M.
Rankings are what they are (not very reliable) but A&M does make a good point that it's one of 2 programs under 30 years old that is ranked in the top 50 pharmacy schools. The satellite campus in College Station will really contribute to interprofessional training with the other components of the HSC.

Rankings are what they are (not very reliable) but A&M does make a good point that it's one of 2 programs under 30 years old that is ranked in the top 50 pharmacy schools. The satellite campus in College Station will really contribute to interprofessional training with the other components of the HSC.

Rankings? Those aren't credible. I said reputation.

I would imagine that it has to do with the fact that A&M's pharmacy school is attached to an institution that has the reputation as being the 2nd best public university in Texas, and many deans/administrators outside of Texas would recognize and rank the name "Texas A&M" even if they know little to nothing of the PharmD programs in Texas. Football might have more sway on these rankings than the actual programs themselves.

These rankings are made mostly by people far removed from Texas. Things on the ground in Texas are far different than some administrator in New England sees it who is guessing their way through a survey of programs nationally. Outside of the top 5 or so programs, few PharmD programs have a national reputation. Local reputation is more important anyways.