Life in the country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump

Members don't see this ad.

Hah - dragging up an old topic but it's an interesting one : ).

I've lived in very big cities (Miami), middle-sized cities (Salt Lake) and in TINY (300-people) villages. I love all 3 places.

The really nice thing about small villages - you can grow your own food. My parents get most of their food from the garden, and we raise our own chickens.

Places like Miami: you can get EVERYTHING and it's so close. And I'm a visible minority and Miami was really diverse so I loved that too.

I hate NYC though - living here now and I can't wait to be gone.

I want to be able to ride my dirtbike to work ;) I want to have a ton of land with a cow, chickens, etc... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i live in the NT...i work 230km from home and most of the time i spend my days not so much in a hospital but flying to the aboriginal missions/ real remote areas with barely any health care or flying people back alive after a death adder bite in alice springs....as far as schooling, school on the radio was the way i did it.

Can I come shadow you??? That sounds like the most awesome shadowing gig ever! I'm from the US, so I could never work in Aus, but! That sounds crazy! That's serious rural medicine!

Can I come shadow you??? That sounds like the most awesome shadowing gig ever! I'm from the US, so I could never work in Aus, but! That sounds crazy! That's serious rural medicine!

i'd say yes but theres barely any room in the plane once a pt is loaded. but if you ever get the opportunity to do rural medicine in the US do it, the people are just like a big family out bush. you'll notice some things and appreciate life more and family more.

i love reptiles and i love the bush and love medicine so its perfect

I grew up with a 14' burmese python, and I had frogs and lizards in college. However, that said, I've never had to deal with poisonous snakes because there really aren't any where I grew up! I am sad... bigger planes!! I'll stand! I'll squish between the pilot and co-pilot!!

whoah now im jealous, i'd love a burmese python....actually its just me and the pilot..ohh yeah, i have my pilots licence so mainly i sit in the back as there is one seat.....

You can get the same type of shadowing experience in Alaska. Many of the doctors out of Fairbanks who work for Indian Health Service fly to the villages to provide medical care. Most villages only have a health aide who takes care of things in the interim. You could work it out to be there in the summer with 24 hours of daylight and average temps of 75. Just a thought. Feel free to PM me if you would like more information of who to contact.

I grew up in Hammond, IN ~100,000 which at the time had the best schools in IN, and
a satellite campus of Purdue, where I did my BS. After the war I moved to Valparaiso, IN, pop 30,000 which has Valparaiso University, and excellent schools.

Every year I purchased season tickets to over 100 performances at VU for $40. At their Jazz festival, one year, I saw Dizzy Gillespie play the sax. What a great horn!

Look for a University town. There are plenty of them. The presence of the University will provide you with cosmopolitan attitudes not present in farming communities, with colleagues and friends who are educated, and with cultural opportunities not otherwise available.

INDY