Life is good.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1441426638.028144.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
A lot of angst and disappointment on this forum. Much of it is justified. But sometimes when you're making lemonade out of lemons, you get to ride on the ramp.

Members don't see this ad :)
Life is good when the DD 214 is in hand!

Reactions: 3 users
Life is good when the DD 214 is in hand!
I saw his post last night and my first thought was to wonder which person would be the first to post something pissy, petulant, and negative.

It's a sad, sad human being who can't even pass by a smiling person without blathering on about how horrible things really are.

Reactions: 2 users
Tuck those pants into your boots, soldier.

Actually those trousers should be unbloused and covering down most of the boot. Also I hope those boots are Nomex, trooper. I'll get off my ALSE high horse now.

I rode the ramp sometimes on Air Assaults sitting next to the 240 gunner when I wasn't in the jump seat. One of the favorite tricks of my FE's during a hasty extraction when we were bobbing and weaving was to throw a monkey harness past me onto the ramp. That always produced a moment of sheer panic but they thought it was hilarious.

I'm glad to see you're enjoying Hondo. Do they still have a bar on the airfield at Soto Cano? A couple of my crew dogs and pilots rotated there and they seemed to like it.

500 combat missions over two tours and about 800 hours later, I can look back and say that flying was one of the best parts of the daily flight surgeon grind. Harrowing at times, especially "over there" but it gives you a real appreciation for what your folks do on a daily basis, what they are putting on the line. I was fortunate to experience true comradeship with my men; something not a lot of Docs get a taste of.

Keep flying with your guys. See if they'll progress you as a crewmember in the UH-60. Do you guys have Mike models down there? I did it in the A/L and I liked that airframe better.

Flying doesn't just dull the inevitable tedium of being a GMO-FS, I truly believe that it makes you a better one.

Good luck to you, keep reading and start making a plan to get back to residency if you haven't already.

- ex 61N

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome picture with awesome views .. not sure about the boots though ;-)

PGG - +pity+

Thin skin? Don't read or respond to my posts. I said nothing inflammatory like you did.

Last edited:
PGG - +pity+

Thin skin? Don't read or respond to my posts. I said nothing inflammatory like you did.

Mmmm hmmm. It's just sad that in a thread about enjoyable diversions while in the military, that the very best thing you could think of was the day they let you leave.

Back on topic, I posted this in another subforum the other day, but it fits here.

The Navy gave me TAD orders to go shoot the Atlantic Fleet, All Navy East, and later the national matches -

Quantico, VA -
hpr1.jpg

And Camp Perry, OH. Sunrise and Colors on Viale is always something to remember.

hpr2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Mmmm hmmm. It's just sad that in a thread about enjoyable diversions while in the military, that the very best thing you could think of was the day they let you leave.

Back on topic, I posted this in another subforum the other day, but it fits here.

The Navy gave me TAD orders to go shoot the Atlantic Fleet, All Navy East, and later the national matches -

Quantico, VA -
hpr1.jpg

And Camp Perry, OH. Sunrise and Colors on Viale is always something to remember.

hpr2.jpg

What were y'all shooting? Standard issue M-16? Sniper rifle?

What were y'all shooting? Standard issue M-16? Sniper rifle?
Service rifle, aka NRA/CMP highpower. They're AR15s, externally the same as a M16 - fixed stock, 20" barrel, iron sights. They've got some internal modifications to make them match worthy, like a heavier and better barrel, a free-floating handguard that doesn't contact the barrel, sights that are finer with more precisely repeatable adjustments, adjustable 2-stage triggers. Semi-auto only. Sometimes people add weights added to the stock or handguard to move the balance point. We also use better ammuntion, typically 77 and 80 grain match bullets instead of the 55 grain M193 or 62 grain M855 (green tip). The issue M262 ammo (the .mil's long range 5.56) is very good but most of us handload our own.

The course is offhand/standing unsupported slow fire at 200 yards (10 rounds in 10 minutes), sitting rapid fire at 200 yards (10 rounds in 60 seconds with a magazine change), prone rapid fire at 300 yards (10 rounds in 70 seconds with a magazine change), and prone slow fire at 600 yards (20 rounds in 20 minutes). The 10 ring is 7" at 200y and 300y, and 12" at 600 yards. For the sitting and prone stages, you can use a sling for support but nothing else.

Beginners are welcome. The Altantic and Pacific fleet matches are in Quantico and Pendleton every April. They have loaner rifles for people who don't have their own. Ammunition provided. The rest of the gear is there to borrow. Plenty of instruction and coaching throughout, except for the actual for-record matches. It's a good time.

pgg, would you happen to have any advice on attaining weapons qualification (pistol/rifle) and their respective ribbons while at usuhs? Who to talk to, range locations, places to practice, etc.?

Reactions: 1 user
pgg, would you happen to have any advice on attaining weapons qualification (pistol/rifle) and their respective ribbons while at usuhs? Who to talk to, range locations, places to practice, etc.?
No idea. I didn't really start shooting much until my GMO time with the Marines. I remember some of my classmates said it was possible and they'd done it. Maybe via the Naval Academy?

Quantico's only an hour away. Consider getting yourself a few days of no-cost TAD and come down in April for the Atlantic Fleet matches. Rifle, pistol, ammo supplied. There's even free housing if you don't want to commute each day. The whole thing goes from April 7-17, 2016. If you can't get TAD orders for part of it ... the events that happen to fall on Sat/Sun might be enough. If you've got any prior shooting experience at all, or are even minimally teachable, you'll leave with pistol and rifle ribbons, maybe a new addiction.

Reactions: 2 users

Not PGG, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway.

There isn't/wasn't a great option in the DC area. Most people who did it while at USUHS seemed to knock it out while on rotations at places that have range availability. Norfolk used to (unsure if still does) have a range at Camp Allen that would offer qualification courses for both on a very regular basis in the evenings.

Other options would be during your summer operational experience after MS1 year if they still require it.

Not PGG, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway.

There isn't/wasn't a great option in the DC area. Most people who did it while at USUHS seemed to knock it out while on rotations at places that have range availability. Norfolk used to (unsure if still does) have a range at Camp Allen that would offer qualification courses for both on a very regular basis in the evenings.

Other options would be during your summer operational experience after MS1 year if they still require it.

The Norfolk range burned down a few years ago because some guy shot a tracer into the shredded rubber backstop. True story.

It has reopened. They do pistol and rifle quals for $50 and $60, respectively.

http://www.mccscampallen.com/shooting_range.htm

I'm a little amused that the web page now includes the notice
PROHIBITED AMMUNITION:
Steel Core
Green, Black, Red, Orange Tip
Bird/Game Shot

Better late than never! Can't make this stuff up ... :)

Reactions: 1 user
DC has Marines, so there has to be a range somewhere.

DC has Marines, so there has to be a range somewhere.

Doesn't mean it is publicly accessible (even to military) or offer qualification courses. My guess though is they go to Quantico.

Many military ranges only offer qualification courses to Units and not just an individual member who wants to qualify randomly.