Lifestyle during Clinicals: Personal relationships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kboy2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends I hope everyone is well.

This is not your traditional topic, but it is definitely something thats on my mind. Sadly, my fiancee who I have been with for 5 years could not tolerate my dedication to this career path anymore. We separated, and I now have 2 months to study for Step 1 along with this depression to cope with.

Anyway, I am 29 years of age. I assume 2 years of rotations in different cities, plus minimum 3 years of intense residency. Adding in some room for error, lets say Ill be 35 years by the time I am DONE DONE DONE and possibly have some leisure time for dating and the like. Obviously, that does not paint a very promising picture for me, and leaves me wondering if I will be stuck settling on a marriage.

I understand this is a strange subject but I still just want to know. Is it realistic to expect to meet enough people/form meaningful/intimate relationships while going through this part of medicine? I am dedicated to this career, but there are certainly other things in life that I value very much as well, and starting a family at least in my low 30's was one of them. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I understand this is a strange subject but I still just want to know. Is it realistic to expect to meet enough people/form meaningful/intimate relationships while going through this part of medicine? I am dedicated to this career, but there are certainly other things in life that I value very much as well, and starting a family at least in my low 30's was one of them. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Realistically, how can any of us answer this question for you? I understand you probably just wanted to vent. If it's any consolation, a lot of my closest friends and classmates have gotten divorced from the time I started medical school to now, the end of third year. They're doing fine, and some have already met other people. It's possible, but that just depends on who you are and what you're looking for. I read this last night: what you do, who you’re with, and how you feel about the world around you is completely up to you. If you put yourself out there, you will probably find someone worthwhile. Hope you feel better. Study hard.

Reactions: 1 user
Match.com. Not even being sarcastic. Much more efficient and saves your time. Just make sure that anyone you decide to get serious with understands your commitments to medicine and can deal with it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, online dating helps. I started dating someone new in the middle(!) of MS3. Thankfully, he is rather understanding of my time commitments, especially while I was on surgery. :joyful:

I keep hearing about this app - is it not more fling oriented?

You should make an account then post your tinder convos on SDN this summer.

I need something to entertain me during my primary care rotation.

You should make an account then post your tinder convos on SDN this summer.

I need something to entertain me during my primary care rotation.
I think I know exactly what you're implying. :vulcan: