Lifestyle during Psych residency & afterwards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm curious about lifestyle during residency and after residency for psychiatry. Also, for those specialized in Child & adolescent psychiatry or other sub specialties.

Hours worked per week/month (during residency):
Hours worked per week/month (after residency):
Vacation days/weeks (during residency):
Vacation days/weeks (after residency):
How stressed were you?
Did you have a spouse/child during residency?

Residency Match:
Were you able to get your first or second pick?

Salary:
Do you feel well compensated?

Members don't see this ad.

Hours worked per week/month (during residency): depends on year
Hours worked per week/month (after residency): now 40/week
Vacation days/weeks (during residency): 2 weeks
Vacation days/weeks (after residency): varies by years you have been employed here- I have 15 years and get 8 weeks for combined sick/vacation
How stressed were you? depends on the patient and family's behavior sitting in front of me at the moment
Did you have a spouse/child during residency? I was married and it was great, no kids until after.

Residency Match:
Were you able to get your first or second pick? yes

Salary:
Do you feel well compensated? Yes, but I get more for administrative duties than others here (and I earn it dealing with others' BS)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hours worked per week/month (during residency): depends on year
Hours worked per week/month (after residency): now 40/week
Vacation days/weeks (during residency): 2 weeks
Vacation days/weeks (after residency): varies by years you have been employed here- I have 15 years and get 8 weeks for combined sick/vacation
How stressed were you? depends on the patient and family's behavior sitting in front of me at the moment
Did you have a spouse/child during residency? I was married and it was great, no kids until after.

Residency Match:
Were you able to get your first or second pick? yes

Salary:
Do you feel well compensated? Yes, but I get more for administrative duties than others here (and I earn it dealing with others' BS)

Thank you for the response! Do you remember how many weeks of combined sick/vacation you received when you first became an attending physician.

years-
1-4 get 24 8 hour days per year
5-9 get 30
10-15 get 33
15+ get 36
We also get 9 holidays off a year.
We can accrue 600 hours before we start losing it and can also get comp time for working late, into lunch, etc. up to 22 hours. I am at 14 years here and over 600 hours before I realized I was losing hours of leave. It gets hard to use more than 4 weeks off a year, but I will certainly try.

How common are outpatient group practice/clinic positions with no call component and no inpatient unit coverage? Is weekend/night call the exception or the rule in the private practice world? I've only seen the academic/VA side of things which seems to be pretty distinct from private practice.

From my experience most jobs do expect you to do some call. There are a few out there with no call or that pay you more for taking call.

It is common to have "light call" if working only as an outpatient psychiatrist for your group's patients. Most ER or inpt call is where your lifestyle takes a dramatic hit. When we pulled out of inpt and ER work, it was one of the best days of my life.

Last edited: