lifestyle of a psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soulsearchin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the lifestyle of a psychiatrist..in terms of the time he has for himself during residency n post residency in private practice...considering he tries to earna decent living too..like around 200 k/yr

Members don't see this ad.

what is the lifestyle of a psychiatrist..in terms of the time he has for himself during residency n post residency in private practice...considering he tries to earna decent living too..like around 200 k/yr
I have no time for myself, but I have 4 kids, so I have only myself to blame...:eek:

Reactions: 1 user
It is really what you make of it. Of course, more money can be made in private practice (in general) though you'll probably work hard to make it (ie. long hours, call, etc). You can find plenty of "lifestyle" jobs such as salaried positions in community psych systems, but income will be limited. I do get a bit confused by the "lifestyle" question. I assume you are referring to hours worked versus free-time. Keep in mind that despite good working hours, psychiatry can be extremely taxing emotionally. I worry when people gravitate to psychiatry for the perceived "good lifestyle". It requires skills that some people struggle with and often psychiatry can be more stressful, despite good hours, than people anticipate.

Members don't see this ad :)
private practice call and long hours? what you talking about, all the PP docs I know in psych are cash pay, 9-5 types-and why would they have call? you talking to the wrong peeps dude

Yes, many private practice docs have fee for service arrangements and are able to have the type of practice you described. However, building a large enough patient population willing to pay out of pocket and be consistent enough with appts and follow-up to support a full time practice takes time. Just hanging a shingle asking for $X often does not work. Most people cannot afford this setup or want insurance to cover their care. Also, this is going to extremely limit your population given the socioeconomic drift of the mentally ill. If you're wanting to stay interested by your practice, you may need to think beyond this.

Call is often part of a good outpatient system, particularly if you are affiliated with a hospital (salaried or contracted). If so, it is good care to provide extra-hour support by being available to patients and/or other doctors (ie. ER docs). If your practice is associated with any hospital privileges (whether you work on inpt or not) you're likely going to be part of a call pool on some level; particularly to assist in "crisis" issues.

If it was so simple to work 9-5, have no call, charge fee for service and bank $200,000 or more annually, everyone would be doing it. Point is, this is generally not realistically, at least during early career development. Of course, I might not have as much exposure to private practice to be entirely accurate.

Well maybe you are not talking to the right people-most PP psychiatrist I meet describe exactly this situation and I hvae researched many of them in deciding to do psych. You are probably in a podunk city or something but I am in one of the top 5 biggest cities and the population who affords psychiatrists is HUGE and that is who I hvae talked to-maybe not in your area but where I am this is not just realisitic, it is the norm. And no, not everyone would be doing it since poeple in general do not like dealing with psych issues.

Well maybe you are not talking to the right people-most PP psychiatrist I meet describe exactly this situation and I hvae researched many of them in deciding to do psych. You are probably in a podunk city or something but I am in one of the top 5 biggest cities and the population who affords psychiatrists is HUGE and that is who I hvae talked to-maybe not in your area but where I am this is not just realisitic, it is the norm. And no, not everyone would be doing it since poeple in general do not like dealing with psych issues.

I see my psych for therapy and shes provate practice, ill tell you what, she works her ASS off for that money. I'm in a larger city too - the privates that dont' fair as well are usually in oversaturated areas. You will get paid MORE for going to underserved areas where no one wants to live. You will also have more autonomy.

Hours range from 35-120 depending on the practice, how many partners, how new the practice is, etc etc etc. Its not just one factor playing into the financial return.

so from reading these posts, is it safe to assume most psychiatrists have very little free time outside of family and work?

so from reading these posts, is it safe to assume most psychiatrists have very little free time outside of family and work?

Depends on how you define "free" time. I work 45-50 hours most weeks, but weekends are off except 3-4 times a year. The OP asked how much time one has for oneself, which for me means an hour or so a day after the kids are in bed. If you're better at avoiding these entanglements than I am, you might find you have more free time!;)

Just a med. student's point of view here: If you read the previous posts and based on my talks with psychiatrists, how much you work in psychiatry has a lot to do with how much money you want to make. The OP included how to be a psychiatrist, make 200K, AND still still have a normal life. I think the point is that this it is hard to make a lot of money in psychiatry and work relatively few hours. However, I know a lot of psychiatrists that have a great lifestyle with plenty of time for family and absolutely love what they do; but they don't make the big bucks. I also know a couple of psychiatrists that work their butt's off...The point is that it depends on how much you want to make and if you can handle the stress of every day practice of being a psychiatrist.

Hours range from 35-120 depending on the practice, how many partners, how new the practice is, etc etc etc.

why the heck would a psychiatrist work 120 hours per week in private practice? that sounds like a surgicial resident's work schedule.

that averages out to be 24 works per day if they only work 5 days per week, 20 work hours if they work 6 days per week, and 17.14 work hours if they work 7 days per week. that's ridiculous for a psychiatrist to work that many hours in a week, no matter how money hungry they are.

sounds like a good recipe for a burnout!

also remember that child, pain and forensics can pay a lot more. the other fellowships may add 20k or so extra.

also remember that child, pain and forensics can pay a lot more. the other fellowships may add 20k or so extra.

How does a forensics guy make a lot of money. I don't get this. It seems to me that most of the work will be government paid, court appointed evals, etc. I don't see where the money comes from.

Judd

How does a forensics guy make a lot of money. I don't get this. It seems to me that most of the work will be government paid, court appointed evals, etc. I don't see where the money comes from.

Judd

Private disability claims, private custody evals, termination of parental rights, IMEs, professional witnessing, private case review, etc.