Lifestyle of county hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sometime between the first and second time a group/hospital administrator tells you how to handle something that you think adversely impacts patient care, your views will change.

Sometime between the first and fifth times a patient says "I'm gonna sue you all if I don't get ___" you're feelings on the doctor-patient relationship will probably change. Doesn't mean you'll hate all your patients (no should it), but it will likely impact you.

The more and more you are asked to do things with your clinical time that have nothing to due with patient care (like charting exessively for coding purposes), you will feel less warm and fuzzy about the game.

Don't get me wrong, EM and medicine has a lot of redeeming factors and helping somebody truely in need is incredibly rewarding but make no mistake the job is hard and stressful in many different ways. You deserve to be paid fairly and working too much in it will ruin you.
And this is why I go teach EM in other countries as a reset button. Sure, there's other political turf battles to fight, but EM is so new they never have any bull**** metrics to deal with. You can just practice medicine, which is all any of us want to do (well, most of us).

Members don't see this ad.