lifestyle of heme-onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok I ll bite. Why do you say that.

Certainly other specialities can be more stressful, depending on what causes you stress, but these are onc patients, and you are the primary caregiver for them. Do you expect you just give them chemo without any problems and peace out? They die, they get infected, they get fluid in every pocket imaginable, they get depressed, their family gets neurotic... all that stuff happens and more, and guess who usually deals with it first? Not the rad or surg oncologist and many times not their primary care doctor.

Oncology is extremely important work, but it can be hard, sometimes extremely hard.

IMO, IM specialites like endo and allergy are the least stressful. If you're looking for that, check them out. Rheum, in general, is not super hectic, but their patients can also be sick, sick, sick.... and they want pain medicine all the time.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the least stressful of the IM specialties then? Rheum? Allergy?

If by least stressful you mean largely outpatient with lighter volumes and better lifestyle .... then yes Rheum.

Thanks for the posts guys. I had a couple of questions....

1. What is the balance between inpatient/outpatient in heme/onc?
2. In terms of landing a fellowship, any particular residency programs great at matching its residents into heme/onc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the posts guys. I had a couple of questions....

1. What is the balance between inpatient/outpatient in heme/onc?

During training or after? During the clinical portion of fellowship (keep in mind that this will be only 1/3 - 1/2 of your time) it will be something in the range of 50/50 - 90/10 with most programs landing on the high inpatient side of the curve. This will also only get worse now that residents can only work 15 minutes at a time before they need an 8 hour nap break.

2. In terms of landing a fellowship, any particular residency programs great at matching its residents into heme/onc?

Academic ones with hem/onc fellowships. Beyond that this is way too broad a question to give a more specific answer to.

During training or after? During the clinical portion of fellowship (keep in mind that this will be only 1/3 - 1/2 of your time) it will be something in the range of 50/50 - 90/10 with most programs landing on the high inpatient side of the curve. This will also only get worse now that residents can only work 15 minutes at a time before they need an 8 hour nap break.

Academic ones with hem/onc fellowships. Beyond that this is way too broad a question to give a more specific answer to.

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering more after training? It seems like there are a fair number of opportunities in the outpatient setting. I just don't know much about heme/onc unfortunately. At my school, we have either an Inpatient rotation or an Outpatient rotation, no combined rotations unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering more after training? It seems like there are a fair number of opportunities in the outpatient setting. I just don't know much about heme/onc unfortunately. At my school, we have either an Inpatient rotation or an Outpatient rotation, no combined rotations unfortunately.

In private practice, you'll be doing primarily outpatient. Again, it varies from person to person but I'd say somewhere from 10/90 to 40/60 (IP/OP) with most people doing less IP work. Depends on the structure of your practice and group and whether or not you have hospitalists managing your patients. Some (primarily larger) groups will have an inpatient doc for the day/week who sees all of the inpatients for the group and takes all consults at whatever hospital(s) where they have privileges. In others, everybody rounds on their own patients in the morning and then goes to clinic. It's not at all like residency/fellowship though where you're in-house all day every day.

First off, many thanks gutonc for servicing these forums.

How would you rank these places for heme-onc: Loyola, Rush, UIC, Northwestern, UofC? If I do end up pursing the IM/Heme-onc route, I would like to work in a suburban hospital. While I am still undecided between IM and EM, my heart still wants to do some sort of oncology. My wife really wants to be in Chicago, it's where both our families are. So my ultimate goal as of now is to get in Chicago, preferably the IM program with this strongest heme/onc program. I am probably on the lower end of competitiveness for NU/UofC, so I guess it comes down to: Rush vs Loyola vs UIC (pending interviews of course). This will help me in terms of where to apply for my aways. Thanks again.

For residency, fellowship or practice?

Sorry for not clarifying. Mainly in terms of fellowship. Its seems that most of the Chicago programs fill half of their heme/onc spots in-house.

I will be shadowing heme onc soon with hopes to do hem onc research this summer. Will it be anything like shadowing IM???