Lifestyle poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you typically do when you get home from work?

• Keep working on medical stuff

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Work on other business

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Spend time with fam/friends

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Exercise

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Partake in a hobby

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Drink yourself into a stupor

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
Heterosexual. But good for you if you're curious...

Reactions: 1 user
Exercise every other night. Date night with Mrs midweek. Spring & summer BBQ as much as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ran 6 miles today

#WeekendWarrior

i get up in the morning really early, do chores and run 5 + miles, then shower, then go to work. in Sacramento in the summer it is too hot to do anything after work. only time temperature is reasonable outside is early morning. once global warming gets fully cranked up i imagine many people will do things this way.

Awesome, sound like a lot of runners. I've been trying to train for my second marathon but when I get to about 12 mi in training, things seem to reliably go wrong. Injuries, shin splints, etc despite trying all manner of shoes. So these days I feel happy to do 3-9 a few days/week.

i run around after 3 kids all under age 10 at home.

"Work" - ie pain clinic - is less stressful and more relaxing than being at home.

for running long distances i do not think there is anything i have found better than this.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Main_Page

short version - buy Hoka Hoka One Clifton shoes, (or Stinson ATR's) , do lots of hip stabilization exercises, increase your cadence to 80-90 per minute, land on the front of your shoe, not the heel, (get rid of the heel strikes). soon you will be in running nirvana.

Awesome, sound like a lot of runners. I've been trying to train for my second marathon but when I get to about 12 mi in training, things seem to reliably go wrong. Injuries, shin splints, etc despite trying all manner of shoes. So these days I feel happy to do 3-9 a few days/week.
1/2 marathon is my favorite distance anyways. Done 26.2 three times, and it's the only thing you do in life for 4 months

for running long distances i do not think there is anything i have found better than this.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Main_Page

short version - buy Hoka Hoka One Clifton shoes, (or Stinson ATR's) , do lots of hip stabilization exercises, increase your cadence to 80-90 per minute, land on the front of your shoe, not the heel, (get rid of the heel strikes). soon you will be in running nirvana.
I have the hokas. I like them

Members don't see this ad :)
Jiu-Jitsu/Muay Thai. Great stress reliever. Great way to experience chronic pain for yourself.

I brew my own beer, and also run to burn off the beer! Hobbies other than exercise are another great way to relax.

My wife and I are thinking about putting in a bee hive.

Wife and kids have 3 chickens. Watch them peck and scratch as they mosey around the yard...very relaxing.

When kids in bed, put on headphones and listen to Miles Davis, Beck, My Morning Jacket.

Reactions: 1 users
I brew my own beer, and also run to burn off the beer! Hobbies other than exercise are another great way to relax.

Show us your rig!

I'm gathering supplies for a Heady Topper clone. Just ordered the Conan from Yeast Bay.

I did one about two years ago and it was easily the best beer I ever did.

I want to brew an awesome apricot/peach ale for summer, so if you have any tips, much appreciated. Homebrewtalk hasn't been very helpful here. The last two that I did with the canned puree came out way tart. Maybe the trick is to use less apricot and more peach.

I've been going kind of crazy with hobbies this spring.

Finally adding a counterflow chiller to my brew rig this week.

Mixed doubles with the wife once a week....
Men's tennis once a week...
B ball once a week...
Sushi twice a week...
Massage every other week...
Vacation every 4 months....
Retire by 55.... I hope

Reactions: 1 users
Sex once a week....:(

Wife and kids have 3 chickens. Watch them peck and scratch as they mosey around the yard...very relaxing.

When kids in bed, put on headphones and listen to Miles Davis, Beck, My Morning Jacket.
Old Miles Davis is badass. Beck, also. Check out Alabama Shakes, "Sound & Color"

Show us your rig!

I'm gathering supplies for a Heady Topper clone. Just ordered the Conan from Yeast Bay.

I did one about two years ago and it was easily the best beer I ever did.

I want to brew an awesome apricot/peach ale for summer, so if you have any tips, much appreciated. Homebrewtalk hasn't been very helpful here. The last two that I did with the canned puree came out way tart. Maybe the trick is to use less apricot and more peach.

I've been going kind of crazy with hobbies this spring.

Finally adding a counterflow chiller to my brew rig this week.

I'm a minimalist. As you know, there are so many nooks and crannies to dive into with any hobby. I've chosen to pursue the best beer I can make with the most minimal setup. I do 5gal BIAB, with a 3500w induction cooker. Then I no-chill in the kettle, and transfer to my fermenter the next day and pitch. Primary fermentation only, then cold crash and into the keg. So the rig itself isn't very sexy, but having my own homemade beer on tap sure is!

I tried a fruit beer once. Also got unpalatable levels of tartness. You can always try just a fruit extract at the end of fermentation. Other people swear by frozen fruit rather than canned puree. I always like to do a saison or a wheat for the summer. I'd like to try a Berlinerweisse this year.

i run 3-4x/week, about 25 or 30 miles/week. have done a bunch of marathons and halfs, but run to clear my head more than anything. considering a 30 mile "trail race" in the fall.

as far as injuries are concerned -- and this is contrary to everything that everyone says -- you just have to run more. your body will eventually adapt. there's no magic shoe or glut stretch or cadence. you think the kenyans are lifting weights, doing pilates, and foam rolling out their IT bands? no. they just run

I'm a minimalist. As you know, there are so many nooks and crannies to dive into with any hobby. I've chosen to pursue the best beer I can make with the most minimal setup. I do 5gal BIAB, with a 3500w induction cooker. Then I no-chill in the kettle, and transfer to my fermenter the next day and pitch. Primary fermentation only, then cold crash and into the keg. So the rig itself isn't very sexy, but having my own homemade beer on tap sure is!

I tried a fruit beer once. Also got unpalatable levels of tartness. You can always try just a fruit extract at the end of fermentation. Other people swear by frozen fruit rather than canned puree. I always like to do a saison or a wheat for the summer. I'd like to try a Berlinerweisse this year.
you dont need any fancy stuff to brew the best beer. when i used to brew, all i used was a non-aluminum pot and stove. made my own chiller, made of copper tubing i bent into a coil and attached cut off hose on both ends - one had adapter that you twist onto the kitchen faucet. cooled wort down in <10 minutes. primary fermentation in a plastic bucket with lid. eventually did move up to a glass carboy and made my own sparging system with a cooler and some mesh...

course, back in the day, some states were still not accepting Jimmy Carter's declaration that beer brewing should be legal, so parts were a lot harder to find...

as a shameless plug, if you are not a member, join Homebrewers Association. Zymurgy is a great magazine, it doesnt cost much. join as a lifetime member - they definitely honor their commitments. when i joined, lifetime memberships cost $250...

you dont need any fancy stuff to brew the best beer. when i used to brew, all i used was a non-aluminum pot and stove. made my own chiller, made of copper tubing i bent into a coil and attached cut off hose on both ends - one had adapter that you twist onto the kitchen faucet. cooled wort down in <10 minutes. primary fermentation in a plastic bucket with lid. eventually did move up to a glass carboy and made my own sparging system with a cooler and some mesh...

course, back in the day, some states were still not accepting Jimmy Carter's declaration that beer brewing should be legal, so parts were a lot harder to find...

as a shameless plug, if you are not a member, join Homebrewers Association. Zymurgy is a great magazine, it doesnt cost much. join as a lifetime member - they definitely honor their commitments. when i joined, lifetime memberships cost $250...

What led you to stop brewing? I agree about materials - I use cheap options whenever possible, and keep my setup as minimal as I can. Some people just love to buy bling, though.

I brew my own beer as well. Play golf when I csn. Do a little gardening. Exercise on days off, Fish whenever possible. Shoot guns on occasion. But, the majority of my time is spent with the family.

Roserosen. I do a 5 gal BIAB also, but you pitch the second day? Isn't that dangerous for contamination? I am so paranoid about contaminating my batch I pitch immediately. V

This reminds me I have to order material for a summer whit.

I am not a minimalist.

Attachments

• rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 81
Wow. That is bordering on a commercial operation there. I am calling ATF.

Seriously, is that a ten gallon setup?

i run 3-4x/week, about 25 or 30 miles/week. have done a bunch of marathons and halfs, but run to clear my head more than anything. considering a 30 mile "trail race" in the fall.

as far as injuries are concerned -- and this is contrary to everything that everyone says -- you just have to run more. your body will eventually adapt. there's no magic shoe or glut stretch or cadence. you think the kenyans are lifting weights, doing pilates, and foam rolling out their IT bands? no. they just run

you ever seen a lion stretch and warm up before it takes down a gazelle?

Wow. That is bordering on a commercial operation there. I am calling ATF.

Seriously, is that a ten gallon setup?

Yeah, those are 15 gallon kettles. Currently I have two 3500W induction burners, plus a 5500W element in the HLT (far right) under PID control. I completed the brew controller a few weeks ago, that was an 8 month long project! Typically I do 7-8 gallon batches, keg 5.5 and bottle the rest to give away. A keg will last me and my wife a LOOOONG time, which is interesting because you really get to see how the beer matures. Most taste best about 2 months in.

Hmm...remembering the coffee maker thread. A gadget or two. Would like to see your home.

The only areas I've really spent on toys have been the home theater, coffee bar, kitchen, and my brew setup. The house itself is pretty unremarkable. I don't have anything like your pinterest-worthy pool, although we're doing a bunch of backyard landscaping this year.

As for the coffee setup, I've since added a Compak E-10 conical grinder. Not a huge difference from my Mazzer, so unless someone were aching to spend money on coffee gear, the Mazzer is fine. You know what really makes a difference? Having weight on the beans in the hopper. Since I roast my own coffee beans and am constantly switching, I have been in the habit of only grinding what I need, and emptying the grinder in between. Doing it this way I can not tell a difference between grinders. Once you partially fill the hoppers, or put a weight on the beans, that is when the conical grind quality becomes apparent. The difference in taste for me is not huge, but in terms of stream consistency, lack of channeling, and lack of micro-sprays, you see a big difference there.

I'm off this week and twiddling my thumbs.

Getting things together for the Heady clone is going to take a bit of time, but I can get an apricot/peach going now.

How's this relatively simplistic recipe I threw together in Beersmith?

6 gallon batch

Straight RO water, no adjustments
1 lb crystal 10L steep at 150F for 30 min
Golden Light LME 9.9 lbs (3 cans)
Magnum 1 oz boil for 60
1 oz Galaxy/1 oz Apollo whirlpool for 30 at 180F
Wyeast 1099, 2L starter
No dry hop
1 big can peach puree, and 1/2 can apricot puree in secondary
Brite tank with gelatin for 4 days
Keg

Should be about 35 IBUss from the Magnum. Beersmith is adding an additional 32 IBU for the whirlpool addition, but I think that's way overestimating.

Estimated OG 1.063, ABV 6%, Color 6.4 SRM

The goal here is something like they serve at Dunedin Brewery down near Clearwater, FL. THAT is a great fruit beer.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that wheat LME is usually only about 50-60% wheat. You might do a little bit more to get your desired wheat character