Likelihood of getting off waitlist at this point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ginger13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, what is the chance of getting off of the waitlist at this point? There's less than 2 weeks left until April 15 so I'm not sure if things usually shift at the last minute or not. I am first on a waitlist and the other applicant has been holding the offer since the end of January. The POI there has had multiple conversations with that applicant trying to get a decision from them, but they still haven't made a decision. I assume they are waiting to see if they get off of another waitlist. Has anyone ever been in this position and had any luck?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So, what is the chance of getting off of the waitlist at this point? There's less than 2 weeks left until April 15 so I'm not sure if things usually shift at the last minute or not. I am first on a waitlist and the other applicant has been holding the offer since the end of January. The POI there has had multiple conversations with that applicant trying to get a decision from them, but they still haven't made a decision. I assume they are waiting to see if they get off of another waitlist. Has anyone ever been in this position and had any luck?

I'm in the exact same position. I'm going to wait as long as possible before accepting my #2 offer, but who knows, maybe I'm the person your POI is waiting on to make a decision! Maybe you're the person I'm waiting to make a decision at my #1! The whole process is so stressful!!

Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Haha that is funny to think about! This waitlist is my only option, so I can assure you you aren't waiting on me :):)

Members don't see this ad :)
Right there with you guys. I'm going to be so anxious this week and a half. I feel TERRIBLE about holding my one offer for so long (I don't think my POI is pleased), and am almost tempted to just take the offer I have, but know I would feel awful if I then got the offer at my top choice. I don't know how long I can hang on!

I want to say my waitlist offer came perhaps a day or two before the 15th (it's been a number of years, but that's what I think I remember happening).

As briarcliff mentioned, there's a complex chain consisting of plenty of folks still holding offers while waiting to hear back from personally higher-rated choices, so unless you've heard back definitively from the program, the odds now are probably about the same as they were a couple weeks ago. I'd imagine there's a slight flurry of activity in the few days prior to the 15th, and even on the 15th itself. It's always good to begin contingency planning just in case, but until the POI says "no," there's still a chance.

i'm so stressed out. i don't know how much longer i can take this :(

Obviously it varies- but I just released an offer this weekend so someone's Monday was hopefully made! So I would think things should start moving along soon for people waiting as the 15th approaches. I definitely wouldn't lose hope.

I want to say my waitlist offer came perhaps a day or two before the 15th (it's been a number of years, but that's what I think I remember happening).

As briarcliff mentioned, there's a complex chain consisting of plenty of folks still holding offers while waiting to hear back from personally higher-rated choices, so unless you've heard back definitively from the program, the odds now are probably about the same as they were a couple weeks ago. I'd imagine there's a slight flurry of activity in the few days prior to the 15th, and even on the 15th itself. It's always good to begin contingency planning just in case, but until the POI says "no," there's still a chance.

What's the significance of the April 15th? Is it a fiscal year thing or something?

If you didn't get a rejection you're still in the game. As others said, there are just folks holding on/waiting until the deadline.

I was just accepted off a wait list on Thursday! It can happen!

Reactions: 2 users
So, what is the chance of getting off of the waitlist at this point?

...the odds now are probably about the same as they were a couple weeks ago. I'd imagine there's a slight flurry of activity in the few days prior to the 15th, and even on the 15th itself.

This is how I'm choosing to view the situation. As opposed to thinking that my chances of getting an offer are declining with each day that passes with no news, I've just started thinking that I may or may not hear some good news on the 14th or 15th.

That said, I appreciate the support among members on this board! In my case, I'm waitlisted at a funded PhD that I would love to attend. I'm holding on to an offer from a research-heavy masters that I'm considering so that I could reapply to PhDs in two years. The PhD is across-country from where I am now. If I end up at the masters, I would be living in my same apartment. So despite my best efforts to not get carried away (and in contrast to my above statement), every time my phone buzzes in my pocket with a new email, I watch my mind go all, "IS THIS THE ONE IS THIS THE EMAIL AM I IN DO I GET TO WORK WITH THAT REALLY INTERESTING RESEARCH AND AVOID LOANS AND SHAVE OFF TWO YEARS OF MY LIFE PLAN AND I GET TO MOVE TWO TIME ZONES AND oh, it's just Groupon."

Reactions: 7 users
"IS THIS THE ONE IS THIS THE EMAIL AM I IN DO I GET TO WORK WITH THAT REALLY INTERESTING RESEARCH AND AVOID LOANS AND SHAVE OFF TWO YEARS OF MY LIFE PLAN AND I GET TO MOVE TWO TIME ZONES AND oh, it's just Groupon."

Lmao, groupon

Members don't see this ad :)
A little anecdotal encouragement... I have a friend (really it's just a friend, I've already made my decision!) who's holding offers from three(!) really great programs right now.
I'm encouraging him to let at least one go this week and he'll probably decide between the others at the last minute next week.

So! If you're at the top of a waitlist, remember there's probably plenty of others like this guy out there, and hold on to your hope! I'm thinking there will be a lot of shifting happening over the next few days!

Reactions: 2 users
"Difficulty making up one’s mind is not considered an adequate excuse to limit the options available to other applicants."

...you would think such competitive applicants would be aware of CUDCP policy. I understand difficulty deciding, but don't understand how/why people are so comfortable flouting guidelines that are supposed to make the process a little easier for everyone.

I personally don't have a huge issue finding out my destiny at the last minute, but even just holding one offer I am mindful of the fact that there are people waiting on pins and needles for my decision and I don't want to delay it any longer than absolutely necessary. I also worry that I might be generating some residual animosity from the POI at the school where I am holding an offer, as I'm sure they are quite frustrated with me right now and that seems like a less than ideal way to start a relationship with a mentor in the fall (if that ends up being my program).

@brownie88 not trying to shoot the messenger here--your friend's behavior doesn't reflect on you, and I appreciate the encouragement!

Just got rejected off my #1 waitlist - Just accepted my #2! So thrilled to have a definitive answer that I'm not even upset about not getting into my #1.

Reactions: 11 users
Just got rejected off my #1 waitlist - Just accepted my #2! So thrilled to have a definitive answer that I'm not even upset about not getting into my #1.
so happy you're not upset, and congratulations!!!!!!!

What was your #2 again? Congratulations! Isn't it a load off your shoulders? :)

I just emailed my number 1 (the one I'm waitlisted for) asking for an update and basically said if they extend me an offer for admission I will accept, and they got back to me saying I'm now number 1 on the waitlist since the person above me accepted an offer somewhere else.

I'm trying realllyyyy hard to stay humble, but COME ON. Number 1 on the waitlist for a psyd program? Those are good odds right???? They're waiting on 11 people to still answer the admission offer. I'm hanging by a thread here :nailbiting:

I feel your pain of being first in line. But if I'm understanding your situation correctly, I think you're sitting in a much better spot than I am--with 11 people still holding offers, I would think odds are excellent that one (or more) of them will ultimately turn it down. Fingers crossed for you!

I feel your pain of being first in line. But if I'm understanding your situation correctly, I think you're sitting in a much better spot than I am--with 11 people still holding offers, I would think odds are excellent that one (or more) of them will ultimately turn it down. Fingers crossed for you!

thank you so much! I know this situation is quite different/even more stressful for you prospective PhD students. Good luck to you all!

HI ONE FINAL UPDATE THEY JUST CALLED ME I GOT IN I ACCEPTED I AM GOING TO MY TOP CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting - it can still happen!

So, if you are waitlisted, does that mean you could get an acceptance after 4/15? My understanding is that initial decisions (which include waitlist as an option) must be made by 4/15. So, if someone holding on to an offer makes their decision to reject right on or near 4/15, then a waitlister might hear back AFTER 4/15. Is this correct?

I feel like I already know the answer to this, but I've been surprised before...

This is correct. A lot will be wrapped up by tomorrow, but our program for one has a contingency plan where an applicant will likely receive an offer on the 16th if we do not hear from another applicant before then.