Likelihood of Getting WHICHE Funding.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lionking101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether or not to apply as a WHICHE student or to just be a regular OOS applicant. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone knows if people with less than competitive GPA's (3.5 and below) generally get WHICHE funding or if it's normally for the 4.0'ers and above.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any stats, but my experience makes me think you have a better chance as a wiche than just OOS and the opportunity for in-state tuition is a no -brainer. There are several other schools you can apply OOS to as well, so it's not all or nothing unless you have a specific school in mind. In general low gpa and OOS don't mix well. But, I also know some people really dislike wiche too, so there is no right answer.

This really depends upon which state you are applying from and how many other people are applying through WICHE. I have been told that it is similar in competition to applying as an OOS for those coming from AZ and may even be harder to get accepted via WICHE. But this is going to be highly dependent upon your state, how many applied and how many students your state is going to support for that year.

If you are planning on applying to the WICHE schools anyway, even as an OOS, then it really does not hurt any or cost any additional to apply via WICHE as well. The schools will consider your application as both a WICHE applicant and an OOS applicant, so you aren't losing anything and might gain IS tuition if you happen to be accepted via WICHE.

Members don't see this ad :)
The schools I applied to (CSU and WSU) considered applicants for both WICHE and OOS. I got WICHE for both and I have a low gpa. You have better odds getting in as a WICHE applicant than OOS b/c there is a greater number of OOS applicants applying. At least when I looked at the stats that's what they showed.

The schools I applied to (CSU and WSU) considered applicants for both WICHE and OOS. I got WICHE for both and I have a low gpa. You have better odds getting in as a WICHE applicant than OOS b/c there is a greater number of OOS applicants applying. At least when I looked at the stats that's what they showed.

CSU told me directly that WICHE (from AZ at least) is just as competitive, if not more so, than OOS. There are only x number of seats for WICHE (from each state) and quite a few people applying for it. You aren't just competing against the WICHE applicants who applied via WICHE at CSU, you are competing against all WICHE applicants for all 4 WICHE schools (CSU, OSU, UC Davis and WSU). So the competition is 4-fold because it is competition from multiple schools. This is also why WICHE highly recommends that you apply to all the WICHE schools as it increases your chances of possibly getting a seat.

So, when you apply via WICHE to CSU you aren't competing for just the seat(s) available at CSU, you are competing against all available WICHE seats among CSU, WSU, OSU and UCDavis. Last I checked, I think AZ has somewhere around 5-10 WICHE seats available each year for vet med and there is no number put onto how many seats a specific school will have, this is in total among all 4 schools.

Just to clarify for applying to WHICHE schools...you have to apply to all 4 vet schools (CSU, WSU, OSU, and Davis) in order to be determined eligible, correct?

Just to clarify for applying to WHICHE schools...you have to apply to all 4 vet schools (CSU, WSU, OSU, and Davis) in order to be determined eligible, correct?

No, you don't. You can apply to one, two, three or all 4. It is up to you. My first year I applied to 3 of the 4 (I didn't have animal nutrition for OSU). They just highly recommend that you apply to all 4 because it increases your chances of being ranked higher by the WICHE committee (you still have to be accepted by the vet school via their normal criteria, the schools then send that info to each WICHE state, the state then compiles a ranked list of who is deemed most likely to get WICHE aid and send that back to the schools). So if someone is accepted by 3/4 schools (they are evaluated only against other WICHE applicants by the school at this point) and you are only accepted by 1 of the 4, then the person with 3 of 4 will be ranked higher for getting funding... Make sense?

No, you don't. You can apply to one, two, three or all 4. It is up to you. My first year I applied to 3 of the 4 (I didn't have animal nutrition for OSU). They just highly recommend that you apply to all 4 because it increases your chances of being ranked higher by the WICHE committee (you still have to be accepted by the vet school via their normal criteria, the schools then send that info to each WICHE state, the state then compiles a ranked list of who is deemed most likely to get WICHE aid and send that back to the schools). So if someone is accepted by 3/4 schools (they are evaluated only against other WICHE applicants by the school at this point) and you are only accepted by 1 of the 4, then the person with 3 of 4 will be ranked higher for getting funding... Make sense?

Totally! thank you!

CSU told me directly that WICHE (from AZ at least) is just as competitive, if not more so, than OOS. There are only x number of seats for WICHE (from each state) and quite a few people applying for it. You aren't just competing against the WICHE applicants who applied via WICHE at CSU, you are competing against all WICHE applicants for all 4 WICHE schools (CSU, OSU, UC Davis and WSU). So the competition is 4-fold because it is competition from multiple schools. This is also why WICHE highly recommends that you apply to all the WICHE schools as it increases your chances of possibly getting a seat.

So, when you apply via WICHE to CSU you aren't competing for just the seat(s) available at CSU, you are competing against all available WICHE seats among CSU, WSU, OSU and UCDavis. Last I checked, I think AZ has somewhere around 5-10 WICHE seats available each year for vet med and there is no number put onto how many seats a specific school will have, this is in total among all 4 schools.

That doesn't sound right. If you look at the table below for CSU it shows over 1000 applicants for OOS and only 33 admitted where as the WICHE applicants are 50 or less applicants with 1-10 admitted. The WICHE seems like better odds even than the in state applicants get. This info is just for CSU, so I would say applying to all the WICHE schools would give you a good shot. I know there are a set number of seats but the odds still seem better.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1406931452.050249.jpg

No you do not have to apply to all schools where WICHE is to get accepted as WICHE for any single school. I only applied to two.

Totally! thank you!

You're Welcome!

I definitely think it is worth applying for WICHE if you are planning on applying to those schools anyway. You will still be considered for the OOS application pool as well so it doesn't really change anything and adds in a slight chance you might get in state tuition should you get WICHE funding. :)

That doesn't sound right. If you look at the table below for CSU it shows over 1000 applicants for OOS and only 33 admitted where as the WICHE applicants are 50 or less applicants with 1-10 admitted. The WICHE seems like better odds even than the in state applicants get. This info is just for CSU, so I would say applying to all the WICHE schools would give you a good shot. I know there are a set number of seats but the odds still seem better.

View attachment 184152

No you do not have to apply to all schools where WICHE is to get accepted as WICHE for any single school. I only applied to two.

You have to combine WICHE applications and acceptances at OSU, Washington and UCDavis to get the real picture. You are applying against all of those 4 schools.

For example, if AZ has 10 seats for WICHE applicants for vet school in their budget, those 10 seats can be all filled at one school or spread among all 4 schools. So to get the full picture, you have to view the other 3 schools stats as well.

Also, when I had my file review from CSU the person I spoke with said WICHE from AZ is very competitive and basically around the same odds as applying OOS. That is just coming straight from what the vet at CSU told me, granted this was back in 2010 for the c/o 2014.

View attachment 184152

Another thing to consider, is that many of those WICHE applicants were also considered in the OOS pool as well. Not sure if they add in those applicants to their OOS number (since they are still part of that and considered or if they keep that separate).

Also, it is hard to look at all the schools and get an accurate picture because person A may have applied to both OSU and WSU and will not be competing against them self, so an accurate representation is hard to really see and determine. Therefore, I am just going off what I was told directly from someone involved with admission at CSU.

I'm on my phone right now, so I'm lazy and don't feel like looking it up. But, even if you multiplied the applicants by 4 the odds still seem better.

Either way it is totally worth it to apply WICHE. I just wish all the WICHE schools had the same pre reqs b/c I would have applied at the other two. I'm sure I would still end up where I am b/c of my living situation but still would have been nice to have other options :)

O and I was on the alternate list for CSU for both WICHE and OOS. Not sure if that helps. Then for WSU I got a rejection letter and no other communication until I was called about being accepted as a WICHE applicant.

Last edited:
I'm on my phone right now, so I'm lazy and don't feel like looking it up. But, even if you multiplied the applicants by 4 the odds still seem better.

Either way it is totally worth it to apply WICHE. I just wish all the WICHE schools had the same pre reqs b/c I would have applied at the other two. I'm sure I would still end up where I am b/c of my living situation but still would have been nice to have other options :)

Completely agree. If you are wanting to apply to those schools anyway, might as well give WICHE a shot as worst case scenario is you just end up as a normal OOS applicant. The slight chance you might have of the IS tuition is definitely worth it. Glad it worked out for you! :)

And I wish they all had same pre reqs because I could have added in Oregon as well, but I did not have animal nutrition and it was not offered at my school and didn't have money to take it at that point.

And if anyone wants more info on WICHE... This really explains how the process works really well, just scroll down to page 3 as that is where the explanation is the best:

http://wiche.edu/info/publications/HowWICHEselectsPSEPstudents.pdf