Likely reapplicant, question about LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

absie107

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. While I had one interview this cycle (suuuper late in the cycle, won't hear back til the end of this week at the very earliest), I'm 99% sure I'm going to be a reapplicant.

This past cycle I had a committee letter (one music prof, one anthro, one science) plus a letter from a history professor. I've had a hard time keeping up with a lot of my profs since undergrad since I went out of state and haven't been able to visit the school at all, really. Been working full time as a chief medical scribe at an ED with a lot of wonderful physicians since last summer and have connected well with the physicians there, so that pool of folks knows my work best at this point.

It's been a while since I've been working around the people who wrote me letters the first time around, and they can't necessarily comment on me two years out, but I don't really know what else to do for a science rec since, besides frequenting office hours a fair amount and doing well in the classes, I didn't form strong bonds with my post-bacc science professors. Basically wondering how anybody else went about finding science recommendation letters when they've been out of school for a while. I'm thinking of contacting my orgo professor since he and I connected well while I was in his class, meeting in person, updating him with my activities, and trying that route. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any feedback folks have to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why not just get recommendations from the doctors you work with now?

I'm thinking of contacting my orgo professor since he and I connected well while I was in his class, meeting in person, updating him with my activities, and trying that route.

Pretty much exactly what I did. Be sure to ask if they can provide a strong letter for you. Typically professors will let you know if they don't think they can do you justice.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, I am very fortunate and will be getting a few letters from the doctors with whom I work @Nysor_bttw, but I know most of the schools require a science prof letter if I'm not mistaken. Thank you for reinforcing the info about the professor and I likely will be the route I go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember professors are busy folks! Ask sooner rather than later. Also, if meeting in person is killing time, email will accomplish the same goals. I understand face-to-face, formal meeting are more desirable, but it's really not necessary!

Yeah with finals and everything this week he's probably swamped so I just sent him an email. I may at the very least try to schedule a phone call with him for a little bit. Thanks again!

Good luck! I know the reapplying game is tough. Nearly had to do it for a second time myself.