MSW Limited License Reimbursements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wesleysmith

LCSW
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just browsing through the NASW news feed and found an interesting article about how Medicaid is going to start reimbursing newly graduated, limited license MSWs (LCSWAs in NC). I guess BCBS is also soon to be on board,,, just thought that was interesting. Imagine what affect that could have on job availability for MSWs fresh out of grad school if other states caught on...thoughts?

<https://www.socialworkers.org/pubs/news/2015/04/medicaid-agreement.asp>

Members don't see this ad.

My state currently does this! Medicaid is currently the only payer that will allow LCSWs under supervision to bill for services. Which is frustrating to me because LPC's have a provisional licence in my state (LPC-C) and can bill quite a few commercial companies.

It's not as amazing in practice as it sounds. Also make sure you check and see what percentage your state's medicaid pays. Frequently, medicaid reimbursement is referred to as a % of medicare reimbursement. For example, my state has a high-ish rate, Medicaid (SoonerCare) pays at 95% of medicare rates. This is not the norm and in some states it can go as low as 30% for some services. So keep in mind that many agencies will only pay you a percentage of your billed hours. Which sounds ridiculous to me, because supposedly we can't work as contractors during our supervision, and this seems like just skirting the rules. So SOME (not all) agencies get around this by calling you an "employee." Yet really, you are getting paid the same way a contractor does. Dr. E talks a lot about how PP works, and how she was frustrated with her split (I wish I could tag her so she could correct me if needed), and basically I've been discovering that it works the same way for LCSWs under supervision. A bad split is 50%, while a really great split is 85%. You are right, a payer is better than no payers, but it still feels like breadcrumbs haha.

I think it would be incredible if a commercial payer got on board. If BCBS hopped on, then the others would soon follow. I am currently looking for jobs that pay a straight salary rather than % of billing. I'm personally really uncomfortable with marketing myself and I don't want to worry about no-shows or not getting paid on weeks I go to conferences. I'd really like to be certified in MI, and I'll need to travel for that. I'm still new at this for goodness sake? Can I please just focus on being a better therapist? Can I hone my craft at ALL?? LOL. Now after I get my license I'll expand my horizons, but as of now I'd prefer to focus on gaining skills rather than worrying about everything that goes along with PP. Typically with integrated MH, they pay you a set salary anyway, and the practice keeps your billing $$. In the practices I have experience with, the billed $$ does not equal the salary. Except for in my current clinic, but we are IHS and the billing for integrated services is an entirely different animal and they have entirely different rules that go completely contrary to the national standard.

That makes sense though, just paying a small percent as opposed to the norm. My follow up question was going to be in larger agencies in states that have this, what's the point of getting fully licensed? But there we go. Do you still feel like it opens up the doors for recent grads to gain employment? It has to be easier for an agency to throw an LL on the roster knowing they can at least cover their wage (more or less). That's really interesting though, depending on the split it does sound an awful lot like a private group practice scheme. Are these private np-organizations that do this? I can definetily understand the breadcrumbs sentiment, but at the same time, given the difficulty some people say they have in finding paid supervision it at least has you covered on that front.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I do feel like it opens doors. There are quite a few people who earn their licensing hours this way.

Yes, it is mostly np agencies who do this. In my area the CMHC are the ones offering a salary. Not all of the non-profits offer free or low cost supervision. I have also been told to be wary of free supervision. Sometimes that "free supervisor" is also your direct supervisor. It can get weird. Many agencies will also make you sign a contract for X number of years to pay back that free supervision.

I had been hoping for an agency that offers supervision, but now that you mention it, depending on the setup it could bring up some ethical dilemmas. Although, having said that, the paid supervision seems even more troublesome.

I know, we get so much information from so many places, it's hard to know *the truth*.

I'm just going to assume it's all subjective hahaha.