Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for sharing. I was complete mid September, so I'll wait a bit longer.
Why aren't you wallowing in your interview invite?!? You should be obsessing over that school for a day or so more before you start getting anxious again.
Seriously though, bask for a minute or two in getting an invite already. That's a pretty quick turnaround.

Members don't see this ad.

Why aren't you wallowing in your interview invite?!? You should be obsessing over that school for a day or so more before you start getting anxious again.
Seriously though, bask for a minute or two in getting an invite already. That's a pretty quick turnaround.

I got that invite yesterday, so I guess I am done obsessing/wallowing over that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got that invite yesterday, so I guess I am done obsessing/wallowing over that.
On to the next, I suppose. Well, they're a smaller office it sounds like, and they're getting lots of applicants I'm sure (just as everyone), so they may be really backed up now. I was complete in late August, and got my interview invitation Monday this week (9/29), so it took me over a month to hear.

I'm all booked for interview on 11/3. Was much less expensive to fly in on the Saturday prior to the interview, than the Sunday. I'll have an entire day to take in the area, and maybe some of Knoxville. Any suggestions?

On to the next, I suppose. Well, they're a smaller office it sounds like, and they're getting lots of applicants I'm sure (just as everyone), so they may be really backed up now. I was complete in late August, and got my interview invitation Monday this week (9/29), so it took me over a month to hear.

Thanks for sharing!

How long after the interview does it take to get a decision?

I'm all booked for interview on 11/3. Was much less expensive to fly in on the Saturday prior to the interview, than the Sunday. I'll have an entire day to take in the area, and maybe some of Knoxville. Any suggestions?
I love Middlesboro and Harrogate, and I don't want anybody to take this the wrong way, but it really doesn't take any time to see pretty much everything there is to see here. If I were you, I would actually stay in Knoxville and see sights and go to a restaurant (I recommend Calhoun's on the river... Awesome place). Use the interview day itself to check out Harrogate, I promise it will be plenty of time; like I said, there's not a ton to see. That's just my opinion.

Where do most people with significant others live? Is there a decent house rental market? Anywhere neighborhoods within 30 mins?

Last edited:
Daggum right it is!! All about goin' fast and turnin' left!

I hope it isn't too weird if I go to watch it one day if I attend there (I'm asian...).
But I don't think I can stay the entire race... just too long...

Some turn right, but that's a big nono...

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope it isn't too weird if I go to watch it one day if I attend there (I'm asian...).
But I don't think I can stay the entire race... just too long...

Some turn right, but that's a big nono...
Haha it's an experience - we can get you liquored up with some PBR, throw a pair of cut off jean shorts and a dirty tank top on you and you'll be all set.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha it's an experience - we can get you liquored up with some PBR, throw a pair of cut off jean shorts and a dirty tank top on you and you'll be all set.

dude... I'm a guy...

Not going here.

Bahahaha oh goodness....only people who actually live here can really appreciate that

Bahahaha oh goodness....only people who actually live here can really appreciate that
I'm originally from Indiana and not at all above the occasional trashy visit to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

I love Middlesboro and Harrogate, and I don't want anybody to take this the wrong way, but it really doesn't take any time to see pretty much everything there is to see here. If I were you, I would actually stay in Knoxville and see sights and go to a restaurant (I recommend Calhoun's on the river... Awesome place). Use the interview day itself to check out Harrogate, I promise it will be plenty of time; like I said, there's not a ton to see. That's just my opinion.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm already set to stay in Middlesboro. I'm leaving directly after interview for a flight out of Knoxville, so won't be able to catch anything that day. I'll probably spend most of the time in Knoxville, and maybe use Sunday evening to jaunt around Harrogate.

Every time I hear/see Knoxville, I keep thinking about Jackass...

does anyone know how much the taxi would cost from Knoxville airport to either sleep inn or Holiday Inn express?
If anyone is scheduling their interview on Oct 17th or 31st and would like to split the car rental/gas fee, please let me know!!
I can't drive and there is no shuttle from airport to the inns.

does anyone know how much the taxi would cost from Knoxville airport to either sleep inn or Holiday Inn express?
If anyone is scheduling their interview on Oct 17th or 31st and would like to split the car rental/gas fee, please let me know!!
I can't drive and there is no shuttle from airport to the inns.

Why can't you drive? You will need that skill to survive after year 2. And a taxi will be VERY expensive

Why can't you drive? You will need that skill to survive after year 2. And a taxi will be VERY expensive

I also can't imagine the first two years going very smoothly driving. While you can bike to school, it's not the best thing to so in mid-winter in my opinion. Also, the Walmart and Kroger are through the mountain via tunnel which I don't think you can bike/walk in, not that you'd want to pack groceries that far anyway.

I also can't imagine the first two years going very smoothly driving. While you can bike to school, it's not the best thing to so in mid-winter in my opinion. Also, the Walmart and Kroger are through the mountain via tunnel which I don't think you can bike/walk in, not that you'd want to pack groceries that far anyway.
Kroger?!?! Wal-Mart?!? No HEB?

I'm taking my road test after all these are over, but really? Walmart is that far from the school? o.0 now im considering if I should even go to the interview..........

I'm taking my road test after all these are over, but really? Walmart is that far from the school? o.0 now im considering if I should even go to the interview..........
This is a fantastic school. It's definitely not in a large town but it's not like it's an hour from Wal-Mart. If you're willing to pass this school up because you have to drive 15-20 min to get to Wal-Mart then why are you applying? Like I said, it's a great school.

You should look up info about middlesboro ky since that is civilization.

I don't mean to make it seem like it's that far! Like another poster said, it's like a 10-15 min drive. I have heard of people coming from a big city imagining they can use public transportation or walk/bike where needed, and this isn't the place you can do that.

You would let a 10 minute drive to Walmart be your determining factor as to whether or not you should attend the school?

I think humor is under-appreciated or misunderstood on SDN very frequently...

Hey now, let's keep this thread professional please.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them-I'm currently a second year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

The Walmart is not that far away. Takes maybe 10 minutes to get to the Walmart from Harrogate. I don't think I have ever lived any closer to a walmart or grocery store before. You wont necessarily have to have a car to survive, but, it will make your life much much easier. To take a Taxi from knoxville, it will cost you around $100. A girl in my interview group 2 years ago took a taxi and paid that much. I ended up offering to take her back to the airport following the interview. I would try to find a car rental buddy if you can. Just keep watching on this site and posting if anyone is interviewing on your date and someone is bound to respond.

The Walmart is not that far away. Takes maybe 10 minutes to get to the Walmart from Harrogate. I don't think I have ever lived any closer to a walmart or grocery store before. You wont necessarily have to have a car to survive, but, it will make your life much much easier. To take a Taxi from knoxville, it will cost you around $100. A girl in my interview group 2 years ago took a taxi and paid that much. I ended up offering to take her back to the airport following the interview. I would try to find a car rental buddy if you can. Just keep watching on this site and posting if anyone is interviewing on your date and someone is bound to respond.
Thanks for the info!!

I think this Walmart thing has gone out of control...

Hey now, let's keep this thread professional please.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them-I'm currently a second year.

I have a question - but it is more of an administrative question - I'll shoot it here anyway. If I have not received a secondary yet from LMU-DCOM, is it likely that at this point in the game I will not receive one - thanks.

I have a question - but it is more of an administrative question - I'll shoot it here anyway. If I have not received a secondary yet from LMU-DCOM, is it likely that at this point in the game I will not receive one - thanks.

They don't send it to you. It's on their website.

Didn't make it in time for the dinner, but i'm looking forward to meeting everyone who's interviewing tomorrow!

Didn't make it in time for the dinner, but i'm looking forward to meeting everyone who's interviewing tomorrow!
Please tell us your interview experience after your interview tomorrow ! Best of luck

Can anyone comment on the research opportunities available for students at LMU-DCOM.

Research is not a huge priority for LMU-DCOM. There are professors here that are currently doing it, and some that I am sure if you presented an idea, they would jump on board and help you with it. I know that Dr. Throckmorton (Spelling?) is currently working on some and so is Dr. Shirley (Anatomy) and Dr Wood (Pharmacology). I know that last year and this year the school sent some students to a conference to present their research. Just recently a group of students also presented to other students, faculty and Doctors on the research they are conducting. The great thing about the school not being a large research university is that if you do have an idea and want to pursue it, it is much easier to get funding than at a school that is largely research oriented. Less people applying means more money and opportunity for your research. Does this help? The down side, less piggy backing on a professors idea and more motivation required for you to think of something.

Please tell us your interview experience after your interview tomorrow ! Best of luck
Interview was pretty laid back as everyone has already said. There were 12 people including myself interviewing. 2 staff members per interviewee. After the interview, school information such as financial aid, course descriptions, etc was presented to us. The tour was after that, finishing up with a lunch with student ambassadors. Great school, I really enjoyed it there. Top notch lab and facilities. Good luck!

I will be boarding in the early morning tomorrow for the 10/10 interview. I am so excited for the trip to DCOM and the long drive from Knoxville to Middlesboro to stay after landing. Plus, I just checked the weather, there will be some thunderstorm, rain or something on the interview day. Hope it will not too bad because I want a complete campus tour from this school. Anyhow, It will certainly be the best memory of my life !

I will be boarding in the early morning tomorrow for the 10/10 interview. I am so excited for the trip to DCOM and the long drive from Knoxville to Middlesboro to stay after landing. Plus, I just checked the weather, there will be some thunderstorm, rain or something on the interview day. Hope it will not too bad because I want a complete campus tour from this school. Anyhow, It will certainly be the best memory of my life !
Also flying into Knoxville prior to my November interview. Thought drive was only around an hour or so...

Also flying into Knoxville prior to my November interview. Thought drive was only around an hour or so...
It's about an hour and a half. A really pretty drive through a bunch of small towns. It was a great interview day for me yesterday!