Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
15 days but haven't received any complete email!

Members don't see this ad.

jbuc1081, do you mind sharing your stats? I am surprised you got wait listed with all your clinical experience. Did you complete a graduate program or post bach?
Not at all: cGPA 3.57, sGPA 3.87, MCAT 23 (probably the reason for wait listing), 5,000+ hours of work as a CNA on the resource team at my local hospital, meaning I worked in every department, and somewhere between 100-200 hours of shadowing a pediatric DO whom I work for now. I really like LMUDCOM, but the chances of me going there are slim since I have a few other acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got put on pre-interview hold. Any ideas on how to best improve my application? I can only assume it was due to my MCATs verbal...but I am not sure I can get a 3rd test in before the new MCAT. Sorry for long post.

Non-tradition out of school for +4 years
- cgpa 3.47 sgpa 3.41 MCAT 1st 24 (8/5/11) 2nd 22 (9/5/8)
- 2 year club president/founder
- Shadowing internship +200 hours with MD and DOs (DOs 27 hours)
- Research for 3 months at Stanford cancer center with 2 publications and a letter from the PI who is the Director of Radiation Oncology
- Lived and volunteered in Central America for 2 years working in international development for health programs in rural communities as Program Director
- Volunteered for +1 year with a non-profit technology start-up and did tons of business development
- Presented at 3 conferences regarding international work
- Currently a clinical research coordinator and business development for +1 years for 2 companies working side by side with patients in an urgent care clinic in a low-income hispanic community
- Lived in Ecuador 3 months to start up a clinical research project with that same company
- I have a lot of strong LOR and one from a DO
- Trilingual in Spanish Vietnamese and English

So overall I have tons of clinical, shadowing, and volunteer hours and some research. My bad on my apps are I have a misdemeanor for minor in possession of alcohol, failed 1 class and Ds in 2 which I replaces with 2 A's and 1 B. I have 1 Withdrawal freshman year. Not sure what I can do to improve? My current job might sent me back to Ecuador to start a new clinical research project soon, maybe thats a good update?

When were you complete?

I have called LMU-DCOM at 1800-325-0900 ext# 7090 today. Two times were in the afternoon with 1h apart, but no one picked it up. Did I call the right number? Is there any specific time that I should call? Any previous experience on this?

I have called LMU-DCOM at 1800-325-0900 ext# 7090 today. Two times were in the afternoon with 1h apart, but no one picked it up. Did I call the right number? Is there any specific time that I should call? Any previous experience on this?
Robin Lamb: 423-869-7401

Reactions: 1 user
@Hayden19 and @schwasted589: I appreaciate both of your opinions and advice. It all depends on each individual... Are you guys 1st year or 2nd year?

I'm a 2nd year. And not doing boot camp hasn't hurt me, or any of my other friends, in the slightest. This is coming from someone that did nothing the summer before starting med school and nothing last summer. I'm already burnt out. Which is why I suggest spending time with friends/family/a good book/lots of tv before you get here.

Reactions: 2 users
Robin Lamb: 423-869-7401

Thank you very much. I have just received the complete email earlier. However, I definitely think that I could've received it earlier if I asked you this question a few weeks ago.

I'm a 2nd year. And not doing boot camp hasn't hurt me, or any of my other friends, in the slightest. This is coming from someone that did nothing the summer before starting med school and nothing last summer. I'm already burnt out. Which is why I suggest spending time with friends/family/a good book/lots of tv before you get here.

And based on your username, I assume you would also recommend getting schwasted. amirite?

Reactions: 2 users
So those who interviewed last Friday will we hear back tomorrow or Friday?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete on 10/31 and was put on hold yesterday, so you guys are probably still in the running!

:( seriously, this waiting game makes me to re-interpret all the promising words such as "soon" as in the complete email.

I cannot even express how much I am going to stress this, but CALL THEM!!! They are very friendly over there, and the only reason I have an ii is because I called, then they told me then and there that I have an interview and asked me when I would like to come in. They even told me prior to this, on where I am on their list - gives you an idea on when you could call them back and check in on your status.

Anyone interviewing this upcoming Monday (11/10)?! I am very anxious on the types of Qs they will ask. Since it's closed file, I literally have to spill out my personal statement in the interview. However if I were to do that, my answers are absurdly long and elaborate. Any pointers anyone?

I cannot even express how much I am going to stress this, but CALL THEM!!! They are very friendly over there, and the only reason I have an ii is because I called, then they told me then and there that I have an interview and asked me when I would like to come in. They even told me prior to this, on where I am on their list - gives you an idea on when you could call them back and check in on your status.

Anyone interviewing this upcoming Monday (11/10)?! I am very anxious on the types of Qs they will ask. Since it's closed file, I literally have to spill out my personal statement in the interview. However if I were to do that, my answers are absurdly long and elaborate. Any pointers anyone?

How long after the complete email should we call them and ask, if you would recommend?

i would just know your PS, your general story, a short explanation for your most significant ECs, why DO, why LMU, etc.

don't worry about having a long elaborate drawn out story prepared because they may not even ask you a question to which you will be able to transition your PS into very easily. it's your own life, don't stress... you know it.. you lived it.

In my interview, we talked about the book Dune for 20 minutes (a book I don't know anything about, really) and then they asked me if I was trying to learn anything new, and I told them I was learning Japanese. That was my whole interview at LMUDCOM haha.

Reactions: 1 users

Ii was very laid back in my experience. they're looking for people who know how to communicate, are friendly, and personable. My interview involved a lot of open conversation - my interviewers and I literally told different stories back and forth that related back to the questions they had asked. Questions were very general. Why dcom, why DO, strengths and weaknesses, volunteering, research.

Last edited:

The interview is conversational. While you're likely to get the typical "why LMU" and "why DO" questions, you're much more likely to spend the majority of the time talking about something that interests you and your interviewers. In the past, people have talked about the outdoor sports they enjoy, the legalization of marijuana (not too political), and frogs. It's very, very laid back. I recommend going to the Meet and Greet on Sunday night before your interview. You'll get to have dinner with current students and can hear their experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how I can get to DCOM from Tyson Airport without renting a car or taxi? Is there any shuttle service?

Does anyone know how I can get to DCOM from Tyson Airport without renting a car or taxi? Is there any shuttle service?
I've never seen a shuttle or anything from Knoxville. Having flown in to Tyson many times to visit my folks your best bet is probably just using a USAA discount to rent a car. I got a 3 day rental for under $100.

I've never seen a shuttle or anything from Knoxville. Having flown in to Tyson many times to visit my folks your best bet is probably just using a USAA discount to rent a car. I got a 3 day rental for under $100.
The problem is if I rent a car I have to return it at the terminal. I am thinking ahead if I move to DCOM for class of 2019... How do I get to DCOM? Taking a taxi is the only choice? It is expensive.

The problem is if I rent a car I have to return it at the terminal. I am thinking ahead if I move to DCOM for class of 2019... How do I get to DCOM? Taking a taxi is the only choice? It is expensive.

Ship your car in?

Ship to the airport? @.@

If you were to attend DCOM, you can ship your car in so that you have a mode of transport. That's what I will be doing if i were to get into this school. If the shipping price for my car turns out to be beyond my budget, I'll probably be Road-tripping down to Harrogate with my car and keep it with me.

If you were to attend DCOM, you can ship your car in so that you have a mode of transport. That's what I will be doing if i were to get into this school. If the shipping price for my car turns out to be beyond my budget, I'll probably be Road-tripping down to Harrogate with my car and keep it with me.
I will definitely ship my car to my new place over there. But how do I get from Tyson Airport to my new place for the cheapest price? It looks like taxi is the only choice but it could cost me more than $100 @.@ whereas the gas and labor are not that costly.

I dont think I can do road-tripping all the way from west coast to Harrogate.

Put on hold today. What does this mean for my app?

Did anyone from the 10/31 or 11/3 interview groups hear back tonight?? Getting anxious

only benefit about shipping your car is you can probably load it with stuff haha.

$100 for a taxi is a lot, but you'll be laughing at $100 when you see your loan balance after 4 years lol

A bunch of you guys interviewed on last Friday or Monday will get the call tomorrow for sure... Be patient ! :)

withdrew from my interview here on 11/14, may it go to the next best applicant

So bummed. I'm interviewing on the 14th and the weather forecast keeps getting worse. I had plans to go hiking and visiting Circle G Ranch but with a high of 40 and a low of 28 with a 30% chance of rain. I don't think I can risk being out in the elements. Thankfully I have a few indoor things I can do, like Ripley's Believe it or not museum.

Ok maybe they are calling today because I just got ACCEPTED!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Just got the call, accepted, too surreal :D

Reactions: 8 users
All the accepted people mind sharing their stats?

29 (B 10/V 11/P 8) 3.33, 3.56, big upward trend, great letters, lots of volunteering & shadowing.