Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone can provide any feedback on this, it would be really helpful. Class of 2016 (if even on here) would probably be able to comment on this the best. DCOM increased the class size from 150 to 225 students (pretty substantial) for class of 2016. I am just wondering if there there has been any difficulties in securing CORE rotation sites that you want. Any feedback is helpful.

Also, are there any plans for DCOM to partner up for any residency slots in the future? I know they current have a few residences they helped to start up.

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone can provide any feedback on this, it would be really helpful. Class of 2016 (if even on here) would probably be able to comment on this the best. DCOM increased the class size from 150 to 225 students (pretty substantial) for class of 2016. I am just wondering if there there has been any difficulties in securing CORE rotation sites that you want. Any feedback is helpful.

Also, are there any plans for DCOM to partner up for any residency slots in the future? I know they current have a few residences they helped to start up.

We are just starting to organize for rotations so maybe ask again in a month ish if it's still a burning question. I know this year they've added two new hospital and there's another one in the works. We had 3rd and 4th years come in today and talk about the core sites and most everything was positive. Last I heard, the vast majority of students got one of their top two or three choices for core (and I think that hospital A counts as top two if you mark it for either core 1 or core 2). Anyways, so it seems pretty good odds.

There is no hospital affiliated with DCOM in the area, so I don't foresee residencies any time soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Canadians planning to attend this year?

Also, any ideas on how full the class is?

Last edited:
To those who have interviewed here, what did guys wear to the meet and greet dinner?

To those who have interviewed here, what did guys wear to the meet and greet dinner?

When I went in November, it was really cold outside. I had on Sperry (shoes), blue jeans, an under armor top and a nice top on top of the UA but I never took my jacket off. I would suggest not wearing what you plan on wearing for the interview the next day; the dinner is just a casual, fun outing.

I wore T-shirt and jeans and a jacket. And I was late because I overslept my alarm so I'm sure I wasn't looking very fresh lol. Meet and greet was very casual, don't sweat it, the med students are there to talk about the school in a very informal manner, they don't care how you dress.

Didn't attend the meet and greet, but I went to Gondolier about a month later and sat at the table next to my interviewer. Made sure to chew with my mouth closed. He was impressed. I'm pretty sure that's the sole reason I was accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone,

I will be interviewing at LMU feb 6th. I was hoping that I can share a ride with anyone from Knoxville airport. I will happily share the cost and everything. Would anyone be interested?

Any Canadians planning to attend this year?

Also, any ideas on how full the class is?
I am Canadian (from Manitoba). If I get accepted I will most likely decide to come to this school provided I don't get accepted to my home med school...What province are you from?

I'm from BC. Low COA is becoming quite attractive with the USD/CDN conversion rate.

I'm from BC. Low COA is becoming quite attractive with the USD/CDN conversion rate.
For sure. I drove around the area and the rent and even home prices are crazy inexpensive. What would rental prices be up there in BC?

I'm seeing a lot of Canadians in this thread. I am a current first year and also Canadian. Any questions just shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For sure. I drove around the area and the rent and even home prices are crazy inexpensive. What would rental prices be up there in BC?
Very New York like but not nearly as bad, so it would be awesome to move to a place where all your income does not go into rent/mortgage.

I'll probably try to get into an ACGME residency, so this is great to hear. Thank you!
Two things on this:
One, to get in, you'd have to take USMLE Step 1 AND Step 2. Step 1 is pretty easy. You can take that anywhere, but you're going to have to fly to take step 2. And you're going to have to fly to take COMLEX Step 2. You have to be REALLY dedicated to want to go fro an ACGME residency. And it's not like they do anything special. DO residencies are no 'different' than MD residencies, they are just only open to people that pass the DO boards.

Aside from the fact that it's pretty hard to get into an MD residency as a DO (from the standpoint that taking the boards is a pretty significant hardship), it is worth noting that it won't matter by the time you graduate. If the current plan goes into effect, MD and DO residencies will be merged by 2017. They were supposed to be merged in 2015, so I'm not sure if they'll delay it again.

The even bigger issue is, residency is at current at LEAST 4.5 years away for any of us accepted into the class of 2019. We all probably have more pressing things to think about in that time.

Two things on this:
One, to get in, you'd have to take USMLE Step 1 AND Step 2. Step 1 is pretty easy. You can take that anywhere, but you're going to have to fly to take step 2. And you're going to have to fly to take COMLEX Step 2. You have to be REALLY dedicated to want to go fro an ACGME residency. And it's not like they do anything special. DO residencies are no 'different' than MD residencies, they are just only open to people that pass the DO boards.

Aside from the fact that it's pretty hard to get into an MD residency as a DO (from the standpoint that taking the boards is a pretty significant hardship), it is worth noting that it won't matter by the time you graduate. If the current plan goes into effect, MD and DO residencies will be merged by 2017. They were supposed to be merged in 2015, so I'm not sure if they'll delay it again.

The even bigger issue is, residency is at current at LEAST 4.5 years away for any of us accepted into the class of 2019. We all probably have more pressing things to think about in that time.
Really? I've been told most osteopathic students that go into an ACGME residency only take step one of the USMLE and not step two. But even with the merger, don't you think they'd still want us to take the USMLE? Otherwise, its harder to compare osteopathic vs allopathic students for residencies. And I've been looking at the UT residencies (in Nashville, Knoxville, and Memphis), and it seems like there are a fair amount of DCOM students. I'm really hoping to end up with an internal medicine or emergency medicine residency at one of the UT medical centers. So I'm already planning ahead on taking the USMLE. I personally feel like its beneficial to take the USMLE to keep your options open, but perhaps I'm wrong. You seem quite educated on the subject! :)

Two things on this:

So, I don't know why you think it's any harder to take Step 2 then Step 1 since they're offered at the same testing centers. Unless you're talking about the clinical exam, then in that case you only need the COMLEX PE even for ACGME residencies 98+% of the time. Some specialties have very few DO residencies and very limited geographically, so it's much more convenient to match ACGME. Not to mention if you want to do research or be at a decent sized academic center, you need to go ACGME. The merger has to take place by 2020, therefor, yes they should be merged by the time you would graduate residency, but that doesn't change the above mentioned things. Also, once the merge takes place, the 'DO' residencies will also most likely be open to MDs who do some OMT training. If you do a DO friendly residency, I wouldn't necessarily so it's 'hard' to match ACGME as much as you just have to jump through a few more hoops and 'prove yourself' sometimes, ie better board scores on USMLE, research, good letters, etc. A little more food for thought, though conventional wisdom is to take both USMLEs if wanting a moderately competitive ACGME residency, there are some that accept COMLEX only, though it's very program dependent.

But yes, at this point, getting through 1st year is more important.

So, I don't know why you think it's any harder to take Step 2 then Step 1 since they're offered at the same testing centers. Unless you're talking about the clinical exam, then in that case you only need the COMLEX PE even for ACGME residencies 98+% of the time. Some specialties have very few DO residencies and very limited geographically, so it's much more convenient to match ACGME. Not to mention if you want to do research or be at a decent sized academic center, you need to go ACGME. The merger has to take place by 2020, therefor, yes they should be merged by the time you would graduate residency, but that doesn't change the above mentioned things. Also, once the merge takes place, the 'DO' residencies will also most likely be open to MDs who do some OMT training. If you do a DO friendly residency, I wouldn't necessarily so it's 'hard' to match ACGME as much as you just have to jump through a few more hoops and 'prove yourself' sometimes, ie better board scores on USMLE, research, good letters, etc. A little more food for thought, though conventional wisdom is to take both USMLEs if wanting a moderately competitive ACGME residency, there are some that accept COMLEX only, though it's very program dependent.

But yes, at this point, getting through 1st year is more important.

I'm referring to the practical part of the exam. I thought you would need that part too, but I could be wrong about that. My wife said that typically only step 1 was really required to be competitive, but it is still hard for DOs to get MD residencies.

The fact is, few people are interested in specialties, so there aren't as many residencies available. Most of the specialties will branch out of IM as a fellowship. Both of the specialties I am considering take that route. You can't match into infectious disease or pulmonology right out of school.

And the number of people that say "I'm TOTALLY doing _______" before finding out that the idea of that practice is more appealing than the actual practice itself. Heck, even I adm that I might change my mind midway because I have never had experience in the ICU from a physician standpoint, only as a pharmacist.

It's all well and good to have goals, but I have to remember to not put the cart before the horse. I have two years of didactic studies to get through and then rotations. I will cross all the bridges as they come. I try to keep an eye on the present as well as the path ahead.

Really? I've been told most osteopathic students that go into an ACGME residency only take step one of the USMLE and not step two. But even with the merger, don't you think they'd still want us to take the USMLE? Otherwise, its harder to compare osteopathic vs allopathic students for residencies. And I've been looking at the UT residencies (in Nashville, Knoxville, and Memphis), and it seems like there are a fair amount of DCOM students. I'm really hoping to end up with an internal medicine or emergency medicine residency at one of the UT medical centers. So I'm already planning ahead on taking the USMLE. I personally feel like its beneficial to take the USMLE to keep your options open, but perhaps I'm wrong. You seem quite educated on the subject! :)
Just wanted to apologize if my reply earlier came off as unsupportive. I didn't mean it to be. I try to be helpful and supporting to everyone. Upon rereading, my tone was a bit off.

If you want a different residency, don't be afraid to go for it. Just know that any time you go off the beaten path, you have to make your own way. I hope we all end up success and happy.

My wife said that typically only step 1 was really required to be competitive, but it is still hard for DOs to get MD residencies.

Again, I would say hard-er but not necessarily hard in itself. It's very program dependent, obviously, but it's certainly doable. Just look at the last few years of matches. There's a whole lot of ACGME. If you're doing something hyper competitive (ortho, derm, ENT) then yeah, it's very hard and you should heavily only consider DO. However, if you're doing something DO friendly (IM, FM, Anesthesia) then most good applicants have a decent shot at ACGME. Especially if they take and do well on the USMLE.

Not trying to fight or start anything here, just giving the information that I know and have heard myself.

Again, I would say hard-er but not necessarily hard in itself. It's very program dependent, obviously, but it's certainly doable. Just look at the last few years of matches. There's a whole lot of ACGME. If you're doing something hyper competitive (ortho, derm, ENT) then yeah, it's very hard and you should heavily only consider DO. However, if you're doing something DO friendly (IM, FM, Anesthesia) then most good applicants have a decent shot at ACGME. Especially if they take and do well on the USMLE.

Not trying to fight or start anything here, just giving the information that I know and have heard myself.
The Hyper competitive residencies are competitive for MDs too. At least with DO residencies, you are competing with a smaller pool.
Hard residencies are not hard so much because you are a DO. You just have more people to beat for a small number of spaces

II invite 2/13 !

Reactions: 5 users
The Hyper competitive residencies are competitive for MDs too. At least with DO residencies, you are competing with a smaller pool.

True until the merger takes full affect and MDs can also apply to these 'osteopathic focus' residencies. Assuming things stay as stated thus far in the process. This may or may not affect the incoming class. It's hard to say at this point.

Hard residencies are not hard so much because you are a DO. You just have more people to beat for a small number of spaces

Truth here. And this is why from day one you have to think about making yourself a competitive applicant.

True until the merger takes full affect and MDs can also apply to these 'osteopathic focus' residencies. Assuming things stay as stated thus far in the process. This may or may not affect the incoming class. It's hard to say at this point.

Truth here. And this is why from day one you have to think about making yourself a competitive applicant.
Yes we do. Even if you are at the top of your class, you will be competing with people that were also top of the class.

You have to do anything that sets you apart.

Yeah I called them!
Wait, so you randomly just called their offices and they offered you an interview?? I thought the admissions committee decides on if they give an applicant an ii... Can someone explain this to me (PS I'm Canadian and that is how ii are given in my country)?

Wait, so you randomly just called their offices and they offered you an interview?? I thought the admissions committee decides on if they give an applicant an ii... Can someone explain this to me (PS I'm Canadian and that is how ii are given in my country)?
I have the same question!

I emailed them and simply asked what the timeline for hearing back about an interview was. I got an email back saying that my application had already been reviewed and that I had been given an interview. I don't think they hand out interviews frequently, but that they send out large batches of interview invitations once every so often. So, you may get a green light for an interview, but may not hear about it for a few weeks unless you email or call them, in which case they'll go ahead and tell you the result of your application. If you've been complete for 2-3 weeks, I'd shoot them an email or give them a phone call.

I emailed them and simply asked what the timeline for hearing back about an interview was. I got an email back saying that my application had already been reviewed and that I had been given an interview. I don't think they hand out interviews frequently, but that they send out large batches of interview invitations once every so often. So, you may get a green light for an interview, but may not hear about it for a few weeks unless you email or call them, in which case they'll go ahead and tell you the result of your application. If you've been complete for 2-3 weeks, I'd shoot them an email or give them a phone call.
I think this is the case for this school. It's worth noting that this school is an exception. Generally calling a school is seen as bugging them, but for this place, it works

I've been in contact with them for a couple months or so, ( well I called December and beginning of January). I was told to call at the end of January if I didn't hear anything yet. So I called this morning around 10 and asked to follow up with my application and was told I was given an interview invite and schedule it. That's pretty much it.

I've been in contact with them for a couple months or so, ( well I called December and beginning of January). I was told to call at the end of January if I didn't hear anything yet. So I called this morning around 10 and asked to follow up with my application and was told I was given an interview invite and schedule it. That's pretty much it.
Which number did you call?

Congrats on the interview! Can I ask what your stats were futuredoc? Out of all the DO schools I've looked into, I feel like people are getting just a generally great experience from DCOM and WVSOM so it seems like it's a really great place to go!

I think this is the case for this school. It's worth noting that this school is an exception. Generally calling a school is seen as bugging them, but for this place, it works
I agree. I really think DCOM's staff involved with admissions and the way they handle the application process is superior to every other medical school I've applied to. I got an interview invite 3 weeks after being complete, was notified about the results of my interview three days after, and all the secretaries I talked to over the phone on various occasions were quite friendly and helpful . Other medical schools should take notes. :D

I agree. I really think DCOM's staff involved with admissions and the way they handle the application process is superior to every other medical school I've applied to. I got an interview invite 3 weeks after being complete, was notified about the results of my interview three days after, and all the secretaries I talked to over the phone on various occasions were quite friendly and helpful . Other medical schools should take notes. :D
If I get into this school I'll prob attend here over other schools.

Anyone know how full the class is?!?!?

Hello,

Is there any current student in LMUDCOM in the forum? I am having difficulty with getting to Middlesboro... I was hoping whether there is anyone who is willing to allow me to hitch a ride with them from Knoxville greyhound station to Middlesboro. I will happily compensate for the trouble. My interview is on the February the 6th.

Thanks

Hello,

Is there any current student in LMUDCOM in the forum? I am having difficulty with getting to Middlesboro... I was hoping whether there is anyone who is willing to allow me to hitch a ride with them from Knoxville greyhound station to Middlesboro. I will happily compensate for the trouble. My interview is on the February the 6th.

Thanks
If it was the 13 I would man. I'm driving up there.

If it was the 13 I would man. I'm driving up there.

Thanks, man. It is kind of you to offer, but are you sure about Friday the 13th? ;). No, just jokking. In anycase, is there anyone who is willing to help me reach middlesboro? Applicant or current students...

Thanks

Received secondary today! Primary released on the 22nd.

Happened to myself last cycle. However, I called them 2 months later about my status after being complete. I think when they send that large batch out that there are a few people who "fall through the cracks" and have not received the email. Don't be afraid to call the office. Stuff happens and you want to be on top of it when it does.

Last edited:
Happened to myself last cycle. However, I called them 2 months later about my status after being complete. I think when they send that large batch out that there are a few people who "fall through the cracks" and have not received the email. Don't be afraid to call the office. Stuff happens and you want to be on top of it when it does.
Same thing happened to me. I didn't get an email....so I called this morning!
My application is on HOLD!

I called this morning and I was offered an Interview (I was on hold previously)! I have to call tomorrow to schedule an interview date so maybe I could hitch a ride with someone to the school from Knoxville as I don't think any rent-a-car company will let me burrow a car if I am under the age of 25, maybe I am wrong (plus I am Canadian so I don't know if there are restrictions)!

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like a much better idea than my thinking 2 months complete with no word was a silent rejection before I called and got an II lol.

Reactions: 1 users
It's weird they don't contact you and you call and you get an interview lol

How long after receiving this did you guys call?

Your file is complete and will be reviewed by our Admissions
Committee soon. If chosen for an interview, we will contact you by
phone with available dates. Interviews are conducted September 2014
through April 2015.

Thank you for your interest in Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk
College of Osteopathic Medicine.