Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
General question I cant find: Does DCOM rank the class? If not does the Dean say stuff in the letter that let people know like "so and so was in the upper 3rd" or w/e.

At my interview day, they said they do rank the class ->for that reason

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
General question I cant find: Does DCOM rank the class? If not does the Dean say stuff in the letter that let people know like "so and so was in the upper 3rd" or w/e.
At my interview day, they said they do rank the class ->for that reason
They said they do it at the end of the year and rotations and those who are at the top have the first choice at the hospital they want to do their rotations at. So better be in the top 25% :)

They said they do it at the end of the year and rotations and those who are at the top have the first choice at the hospital they want to do their rotations at. So better be in the top 25% :)

We better get a bomb study group going off the bat

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys planning on doing anatomy boot camp?
No, because I already took anatomy, and I don't have a spare $900.00 I am willing to part with. Also I want to work as long as I can to keep my piggy bank from going broke. It sounds cool, but three weeks less of income and $900 more cost don't sound so cool.

No, because I already took anatomy, and I don't have a spare $900.00 I am willing to part with. Also I want to work as long as I can to keep my piggy bank from going broke. It sounds cool, but three weeks less of income and $900 more cost don't sound so cool.

I hear ya. That part does suck

I'm doing my own anatomy boot camp right now. I'm doing a medical masters with an elective in gross lab. By the time I get to medical school, this won't be my first time with a cadaver. I'll happily study with anyone that wants to. I can probably also help people with pharmacology and therapeutics. It helps being a PharmD.

In other news, I'm just going to put it out there. I freakin' hate anatomy. Why does everything look the same. ;_; I like things better the way Netter draws it. And color codes it. Sigh.

Reactions: 2 users
Just so those of us who are waiting for the committee to meet they will be opening back on Monday. I hope they meet Monday or Tuesday cause I have interview next Friday and the following Monday I won't go if I get in!

Are you guys planning on doing anatomy boot camp?
You bet. Submitted my deposit about a month ago. All I've taken is UG anatomy, which is slightly more than "leg bone is connected to the hip bone", and so on.

I'm doing my own anatomy boot camp right now. I'm doing a medical masters with an elective in gross lab. By the time I get to medical school, this won't be my first time with a cadaver. I'll happily study with anyone that wants to. I can probably also help people with pharmacology and therapeutics. It helps being a PharmD.

In other news, I'm just going to put it out there. I freakin' hate anatomy. Why does everything look the same. ;_; I like things better the way Netter draws it. And color codes it. Sigh.

You should use Rohen's. It will help you more.

Just remember that knowing where things begin and where things ends will help you identify them. Otherwise, everything will look alike.

Just remember that knowing where things begin and where things ends will help you identify them. Otherwise, everything will look alike.

Rohen is AMAZING. I highly recommend it over Netter's. There was one point in anatomy that I barely went into lab after hours and studied from Rohen.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have been using it. I'm just lamenting the fact that everything in the cadaver is the same odd shade of gray. EVERYTHING. You really have to know your stuff to be able to identify anything. It's so much nicer when everything is color coded in the books. If only it were all color coded....

I was really hoping to get into DCOM just to have you in the class, now I can avoid memorizing drug interactions again, lol. Anyhow I bet you get more study buddies than you can handle.

Rohen is AMAZING. I highly recommend it over Netter's. There was one point in anatomy that I barely went into lab after hours and studied from Rohen.
So your saying that I should sell the netters my parents got me and just use the Rohen (which they also got me, I have no clue who gave them those book names either)?

I posted this earlier but didn't get an answer so I'll ask again. :)

Can any OMS I or II students comment on what everyone uses for a laptop/ tablet? I know LMU has a bring your own device policy but is there any specific software that our devices will need to run. Also does the IT department have a contract with any manufacturers?

I posted this earlier but didn't get an answer so I'll ask again. :)

Can any OMS I or II students comment on what everyone uses for a laptop/ tablet? I know LMU has a bring your own device policy but is there any specific software that our devices will need to run. Also does the IT department have a contract with any manufacturers?

That's actually a new policy that started with this year's first years. In the past, the school issued Lenovo Thinkpads. There is specific software that had to run, but I believe they usually send that information out. I'm not sure that the school maintains any contracts now.

I have been using it. I'm just lamenting the fact that everything in the cadaver is the same odd shade of gray. EVERYTHING. You really have to know your stuff to be able to identify anything. It's so much nicer when everything is color coded in the books. If only it were all color coded....

You'll get used to it. Remember the whole origin and insertion thing when it comes to muscles. Remember where nerves, arteries, and veins start and end. And make sure to look at as many cadavers as you can. The main thing is to get as much practice as possible. I know it is a lot to remember, but when it clicks, you will kill your exams.

Who told you this?

Unless the policy has changed in the last 2 years this is not true. They do rank you after 1st and then again after 2nd year, but the rotations site is a lottery and as far as I know (definitely not for my class anyway) is not associated with class rank at all.

Unless the policy has changed in the last 2 years this is not true. They do rank you after 1st and then again after 2nd year, but the rotations site is a lottery and as far as I know (definitely not for my class anyway) is not associated with class rank at all.
They told me that it's still an lottery but people in the top get to go first and so on . But that's just what I was told.

They told me that it's still an lottery but people in the top get to go first and so on . But that's just what I was told.

Well if this is the case then we better draft @JSensei to our study group, he'll be running circles around all of us in pharm

While I really wish that was the case, I think you were misinformed.

Well I definitely don't know everything. I think that would be great personally!

Is there an official/dedicated hospital affiliated with LMU?

If you mean something like a "Lincoln Memorial University Medical Center" then no. We have a few hospitals that only take our students, but that's as close as we get.
Something like the biggest hospital in the area being an official dedicated partner and learning site.

Something like the biggest hospital in the area being an official dedicated partner and learning site.
DCOM's rotations are fairly spread out. As of right now, my biggest interests are emergency medicine and internal medicine. Thus, I'm hoping to do my core rotations at a large, level 1 trauma center. That being said, DCOM has a core rotation option with Methodist Hospital in Memphis, which is a huge huge medical complex. Unless DCOM sets up any new rotations with level 1 trauma centers outside of Memphis, its likely where I'll try to go for my core rotations. If you're looking for big hospital affiliations, Methodist is the only one I know of. I think the other hospitals are fairly medium (like 120 beds or so, wheres as I believe Methodist is above 1500 beds) or small sized hospitals. Current Medical students, please correct me if I'm wrong!

DCOM's rotations are fairly spread out. As of right now, my biggest interests are emergency medicine and internal medicine. Thus, I'm hoping to do my core rotations at a large, level 1 trauma center. That being said, DCOM has a core rotation option with Methodist Hospital in Memphis, which is a huge huge medical complex. Unless DCOM sets up any new rotations with level 1 trauma centers outside of Memphis, its likely where I'll try to go for my core rotations. If you're looking for big hospital affiliations, Methodist is the only one I know of. I think the other hospitals are fairly medium (like 120 beds or so, wheres as I believe Methodist is above 1500 beds) or small sized hospitals. Current Medical students, please correct me if I'm wrong!
Methodist Hospital in Memphis the only level one trauma center affiliated?

I'm not sure about exact size, but that sounds about right. However, after your 6 month core, you can go wherever you want. They're also brining in some new sites this year and just appointed a new director of rotations who is way on top of visiting new sites.

Methodist Hospital in Memphis the only level one trauma center affiliated?
I believe so. But that's just after scanning the list of possible rotation sites. I could be very wrong. I'm really hoping DCOM adds some more big hospitals in the near future.

I believe so. But that's just after scanning the list of possible rotation sites. I could be very wrong. I'm really hoping DCOM adds some more big hospitals in the near future.

This year we have one in Franklin, TN (outside of Nashville) that seems like it's going to be pretty sweet. They've just opened a pediatric hospital (planning to serve a huge area as they're pretty sparse) and this summer they'll open a pediatric ER.

Even though DCOM claims associations with Methodist University, most of your rotations if you're at the Memphis site are at the small satellite hospitals in the area and not at Methodist University. University of Tennessee students rotate at Methodist University. It's also not a trauma center.

Even though DCOM claims associations with Methodist University, most of your rotations if you're at the Memphis site are at the small satellite hospitals in the area and not at Methodist University. University of Tennessee students rotate at Methodist University. It's also not a trauma center.
Really? Bummer. I thought it would have a trauma center because its so insanely large. Does DCOM have any affiliations with level 1 trauma centers then?

Not for your core rotations. But as people have said, you're free to do your electives anywhere that will take you. It just ends up being more work on your part to set it up.

Having worked at a level 1 trauma center, it is my opinion that they are overrated unless you LOVE orthopaedic/trauma surgery, in which case they are the place to be. Everything else can be gotten in a large level 2 just as easily (like open heart, transplants etc.). Both the level one traumas near me I feel are worse hospitals than the level two trauma I work at now.

The ER will be busy at any downtown hospital, level 1 or not, and internal med is internal med no matter where your at. I think as DO students we will be at the bottom of the bucket (i.e. last in line to be able to do stuff) at most teaching hospitals and basically end up mostly shadowing and doing histories. But at the rural places our opprotunities to do more wil prob be greater.

So I guess what it comes down to when picking a rotation the question is more 'big hospital with more severe cases that I wont get to touch versus small hospital with less severity where I might get more hands on.' There is an educational benefit to both and one must decide if you learn better by seeing or doing.

Last edited:
Interviewing on the 27th. Don't know what's going to happen with the weather.

Having worked at a level 1 trauma center, it is my opinion that they are overrated unless you LOVE orthopaedic/trauma surgery, in which case they are the place to be. Everything else can be gotten in a large level 2 just as easily (like open heart, transplants etc.). Both the level one traumas near me I feel are worse hospitals than the level two trauma I work at now.

The ER will be busy at any downtown hospital, level 1 or not, and internal med is internal med no matter where your at. I think as DO students we will be at the bottom of the bucket at most teaching hospitals and basically shadowing and doing histories. But at the rural places our opprotunities to do more wil prob be greater.

So I guess what it comes down to when picking a rotation the question is more 'big hospital with more severe cases that I wont get to touch versus small hospital with less severity where I might get more hands on.' There is an educational benefit to both and one must decide if you learn better by seeing or doing.
Why would we be at the bottom at a hospital that is used to having us there. I don't agree with that. You have to fight and show you belong.

Why would we be at the bottom at a hospital that is used to having us there. I don't agree with that. You have to fight and show you belong.

+1. It would be stupid for a hospital to put a DO "at the bottom". If you are keen and a good student, I'm sure no one can deny you the chance.

Exactly !! That's a terrible mindset. I worked in an ER for almost two years and the most competent well rounded Doc was a DO. I doubt he got that from doing histories.

I think not "bottom of the barrel" so much, but more so that the bigger institutions have more students there (some of which are directly affiliated eg UX-SOM/UX Hospital) in which you are in more of a competition to do things/get experiences. I doubt being DO students would be a problem anymore than visiting MD students from another institution would be. That said if you are in a medium sized hospital, with less students, you are likely to play an even more active role.

I think not "bottom of the barrel" so much, but more so that the bigger institutions have more students there (some of which are directly affiliated eg UX-SOM/UX Hospital) in which you are in more of a competition to do things/get experiences. I doubt being DO students would be a problem anymore than visiting MD students from another institution would be. That said if you are in a medium sized hospital, with less students, you are likely to play an even more active role.
I agree with that. If you can find a good medium size hospital with not a lot of students you will do a lot more. That's my goal. Then do some rotations as electives at the trauma center for fun

To be clear, I am not suggesting that DOs are bottom of the barrel as students/ practioncioners, but that we are last in line to do stuff at some places (i.e. resisdent needs theirs, then interns, then MD students with that hosp as a core, then us who are visiting). The fifth guy in line to do something doesnt get to do much.

Last edited:
I am not talking about our current cores, but rather trying to goto a huge level 1 trauma teaching hospital shared with many rotating students and residents who will get first dibs on doing any procedures.

You goto someplace smaller where no one is at, and you are the only student, you will get more opportunities to do stuff. I am not talking about quality of DO students, but rather amount of opportunity.

Last edited:
Interview invite today! It seems like a great place.