Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Having worked at a level 1 trauma center, it is my opinion that they are overrated unless you LOVE orthopaedic/trauma surgery, in which case they are the place to be. Everything else can be gotten in a large level 2 just as easily (like open heart, transplants etc.). Both the level one traumas near me I feel are worse hospitals than the level two trauma I work at now.

The ER will be busy at any downtown hospital, level 1 or not, and internal med is internal med no matter where your at. I think as DO students we will be at the bottom of the bucket (i.e. last in line to be able to do stuff) at most teaching hospitals and basically end up mostly shadowing and doing histories. But at the rural places our opprotunities to do more wil prob be greater.

So I guess what it comes down to when picking a rotation the question is more 'big hospital with more severe cases that I wont get to touch versus small hospital with less severity where I might get more hands on.' There is an educational benefit to both and one must decide if you learn better by seeing or doing.

DOs are doctors. Plain and simple. We are no less than the MDs. As a student (MD or DO) you will be shadowing and doing histories, mostly because we will not be able to write notes for our patient encounters. It used to be that the hospital could still bill for a student note, but now they can't.

That said, you'll still get to do a lot of stuff, but it depends more on your preceptor and what they let you do. Your mileage will vary depending on which preceptors you get and how much they want to show you/let you do.

As for level 1 trauma center, they don't really get 'better' cases. They just get different cases. As someone else said, unless you're really angling to be a trauma surgeon or an orthopod, you will get a better mix at a different hospital.

Fact: a decent chunk of what you see in the ER will be neither emergent nor urgent. People use the ER as primary care. Furhtermore, a decent chunk of what you see will be urgent but not EMERGENT. You'll patch 'em up and send them on their way. The rest will be emergent care, and that will be things that will vary from sepsis patients to cardiac patients to strokes.

You'll see PLENTY of those things at ANY hospital. But if you're all about the gunshot wounds and the bloody car crashes, then level 1 trauma is for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
DOs are doctors. Plain and simple. We are no less than the MDs. As a student (MD or DO) you will be shadowing and doing histories, mostly because we will not be able to write notes for our patient encounters. It used to be that the hospital could still bill for a student note, but now they can't.

That said, you'll still get to do a lot of stuff, but it depends more on your preceptor and what they let you do. Your mileage will vary depending on which preceptors you get and how much they want to show you/let you do.

As for level 1 trauma center, they don't really get 'better' cases. They just get different cases. As someone else said, unless you're really angling to be a trauma surgeon or an orthopod, you will get a better mix at a different hospital.

Fact: a decent chunk of what you see in the ER will be neither emergent nor urgent. People use the ER as primary care. Furhtermore, a decent chunk of what you see will be urgent but not EMERGENT. You'll patch 'em up and send them on their way. The rest will be emergent care, and that will be things that will vary from sepsis patients to cardiac patients to strokes.

You'll see PLENTY of those things at ANY hospital. But if you're all about the gunshot wounds and the bloody car crashes, then level 1 trauma is for you.
That's my deal. I'd like to work with car wrecks and gun shot wounds and severe trauma (at least I think so). So I really wish DCOM had affiliations with atleast 1 level 1 trauma center. I wonder what the odds are that they make an affiliation with one in the next few years? If not, its no big deal :D. I'll just have to do my electives at a trauma center.

Last edited:

Actually the majority of our sites are very hands on. When the third and fourth years came back to talk to us, the vast majority were writing their own notes, delivery babies, suturing, see patients in clinic, etc etc. Anywhere you rotate you're gonna have to work hard and seek out many of these opportunities but they sites we are affiliated with are very willing for you to have a hands on experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to throw this in here, the core in Kingsport is not a level 1 trauma center, but the hospital down the road is. I spent 4 out of my 6 months off core there, one being trauma surgery. They're very used to having DCOM students as well as ETSU students.

Just to throw this in here, the core in Kingsport is not a level 1 trauma center, but the hospital down the road is. I spent 4 out of my 6 months off core there, one being trauma surgery. They're very used to having DCOM students as well as ETSU students.
Do you know if any DCOM students chose to do electives with any of the University of Tennessee Medical Centers? I think doing the Knoxville rotation and then doing some elective rotations at UT's Medical Center in Knoxville would be pretty cool.

It's official! Put a deposit down on one of the Ball Realty Duplexes. My wife is actually moving ahead of time but I'll get there eventually.

Reactions: 6 users
Fingerscrossedpremed you from UTK? Hope to see you at LMUDCOM. I got the same plans with going to UTMCK. Had some of the best experiences of my life in that hospital, and one of the major reasons why I am going to DCOM.

Anyways I need some housing advice:

I would like to get a 1 bedroom apartment for the first year, I was told there aren't any on campus.

Should I go with:

University Inn- The LMUDCOM website says its $7950/yr (so $3975/semester) for one bedroom. Two bedroom is $10,130/yr so that would be $5065/yr per person (so I would pay $2532.5 per semester). I would be willing to get a roommate if it means I can save $1443 a semester. Is this correct?

or

Ball apartments (Panther Dr.)- I am not sure about these. They are about $565/month + someone told me add $40 for internet *12 months = $7260. It seems very close to the university inn price. Should I even consider the ball apartments?

Any other suggestions for someone that wants to stay as close as possible to campus and save some $?

I can't remember my geography very well, are the University Inn apartments before the tunnel or after the tunnell going from LMUDCOM? If after, has it affected anyone negatively as far driving/traffic/other issues?

Food:
Do DO students buy meal plans? What do single students do about food? I spent most of undergrad eating fast food, really don't want to do that anymore. I am considering a meal plan so that I can stay within a budget and not have to worry about cooking (I can't cook, and I need good tasty food to keep up my spirits). Some of you might find this funny/lame/unnecessary but having good food is very important to me. I expect to spend my time studying, sleeping, and eating.

Thanks in advance, impatiently waiting for July.

Reactions: 1 user
Fingerscrossedpremed you from UTK? Hope to see you at LMUDCOM. I got the same plans with going to UTMCK. Had some of the best experiences of my life in that hospital, and one of the major reasons why I am going to DCOM.

Anyways I need some housing advice:

I would like to get a 1 bedroom apartment for the first year, I was told there aren't any on campus.

Should I go with:

University Inn- The LMUDCOM website says its $7950/yr (so $3975/semester) for one bedroom. Two bedroom is $10,130/yr so that would be $5065/yr per person (so I would pay $2532.5 per semester). I would be willing to get a roommate if it means I can save $1443 a semester. Is this correct?

or

Ball apartments (Panther Dr.)- I am not sure about these. They are about $565/month + someone told me add $40 for internet *12 months = $7260. It seems very close to the university inn price. Should I even consider the ball apartments?"

You should join the FB pages. We/they talk about these places on there. I visited the university inn apartments after my interview. I personally don't think I could live there unless it was my last option. I would go with Ball or at least visit before to commit there. Also, I'm from UTK too!

And for those of you discussing rotations, I've been a scribe in Knoxville EDs for two years and scribed in Cleveland, TN at Skyridge, one of LMU's rotation sites for about 2 months last fall. I volunteered at UT Medical center as an undergrad too. The only real difference between those is non-trauma vs. trauma, and UT is an academic center. I feel like you would get more hands on experience at the non-trauma centers, so even if you do not get a trauma center, you will be just fine. During my time at Skyridge, a current OMS IV was at Skyridge rotating in the ED. He was able to see many patients and do procedures. The physician even had me follow him to do the charts before he went to see the patient after that. We also have an LMU student at one of the facilities right outside Knoxville right now, and she is getting great experience as the Internal med doctor she's with is the doctor on shift when she's there.

My post above messed up, but this was my response to you, Dr. McCoy!

You should join the FB pages. We/they talk about these places on there. I visited the university inn apartments after my interview. I personally don't think I could live there unless it was my last option. I would go with Ball or at least visit before to commit there. Also, I'm from UTK too!

And for those of you discussing rotations, I've been a scribe in Knoxville EDs for two years and scribed in Cleveland, TN at Skyridge, one of LMU's rotation sites for about 2 months last fall. I volunteered at UT Medical center as an undergrad too. The only real difference between those is non-trauma vs. trauma, and UT is an academic center. I feel like you would get more hands on experience at the non-trauma centers, so even if you do not get a trauma center, you will be just fine. During my time at Skyridge, a current OMS IV was at Skyridge rotating in the ED. He was able to see many patients and do procedures. The physician even had me follow him to do the charts before he went to see the patient after that. We also have an LMU student at one of the facilities right outside Knoxville right now, and she is getting great experience as the Internal med doctor she's with is the doctor on shift when she's there.

Members don't see this ad :)
We still are looking for places for my wife, daughter, and I. I want to get something reasonable, but my luck we'll get the bare minimum space and we'll wind up having another baby or something.

We still are looking for places for my wife, daughter, and I. I want to get something reasonable, but my luck we'll get the bare minimum space and we'll wind up having another baby or something.
That's what I worry about hahaha

Do you know if any DCOM students chose to do electives with any of the University of Tennessee Medical Centers? I think doing the Knoxville rotation and then doing some elective rotations at UT's Medical Center in Knoxville would be pretty cool.

They for sure have done electives there. However, all the academic centers only take visiting students for 4th year rotations. So 3rd year, you'll have to fill your electives somewhere else. If I'm wrong here on UT specifically, someone correct me.

I can't remember my geography very well, are the University Inn apartments before the tunnel or after the tunnell going from LMUDCOM? If after, has it affected anyone negatively as far driving/traffic/other issues?

The University Inn is before the tunnel. I live in Middlesboro on the other side of the tunnel. The only thing living on the other side of the tunnel effects is how close you are to the grocery store/Walmart. Depending on where you live in Harrogate, Middlesboro may be just as close to campus. The tunnel has never been shut down while I have been here. (Although there was this one time an RV almost went into the river in the National Park and people got stuck trying to get into back into TN for a long while.) Every once in a while you'll have to wait for a semi to go through the tunnel. I have never been late to anything because I had to wait 1-2 minutes for a truck to go through. Don't let the tunnel be a reason you don't live in Middlesboro. I'm very happy with my choice to live in Middlesboro with my family.

I applied about a month ago, but did not receive a secondary invite. what the hell????

I live at the Inn. I recommend the two room over the studio (I've lived in both). You cannot really do a roommate at the Inn. The two room is a bedroom and a living area. I like it because it's close to campus, quiet, furnished, and I don't have monthly bills to worry about. You can do roommates at Mars/Lee. You can likely find an apartment for roughly the same price with more space, but you would have to furnish it and keep up with monthly expenses.

I do not know anyone who has a meal plan, although you can certainly do that. I'd advise learning how to cook a but before you come! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I hate that the school has been closed! I wanna know if I got in !!!

That sucks. I hated waiting weeks to hear from places. I want to hear for you guys too, getting that call was the biggest relief.

You're telling me. I sent my deposit check on Feb 5th via certified mail. Because of snow in Boston and TN I have no idea if they have received it yet. I hope you get some good news soon.

Offices start opening back today, so hopefully they'll get around to you guys sooner rather than later!
Yeah I was hoping to hear back before this Thursday so I don't have to go to my other interviews ...

Yeah I was hoping to hear back before this Thursday so I don't have to go to my other interviews ...
Did you see the email Robin just sent out? Also, it is ironic that the guys at the dinner assured me they only had flurries usually lol.....

Did you see the email Robin just sent out? Also, it is ironic that the guys at the dinner assured me they only had flurries usually lol.....
Yeah ... Grr. This is killing me!!!!

What did the email say?

I know when I talked to Robin they still had quite a few spots... Man I just wanna know!!

same here. im wanting to find a house to rent due to our pets and a baby coming in october but not too much like right now.

same here. im wanting to find a house to rent due to our pets and a baby coming in october but not too much like right now.

We are in the same boat sans pets. We want to find something that will fit for us, and the possibility my wife decides to get pregnant again :)

Can anyone convent on how bad the roads really are? Interviewing this week.

When I called to find out about admissions and they said the main roads were good. Just the back roads weren't .

From what I hear, main roads are fine. Parking lots stink. I'm at the Inn and cannot get out. The school parking lot is supposedly a sheet of ice. I *think* they moved yesterday's interviews to the hotels to keep people off the more treacherous roads, but I could be mistaken.

I will say this for DCOM. They've really kept our safety in mind during all this. They've moved tests and mandatory events, posted lectures early online, even sent a shuttle to take residents of the Inn to Walmart. They bough pizza for the Inn residents just the other day and have mentioned doing subway for lunch tomorrow. We really to have a family atmosphere and try to take care of each other!

Reactions: 6 users

My wife and I just got back from Knoxville today, they were a little snowy this morning but have since cleared up. The main roads are not bad. The back roads are still pretty covered in snow and ice. The problem for you will be if you come in at night or early morning. The snow that has been melting though out the day will freeze at night and make for some black ice. You should be just fine if you stick to main roads and highways.

From what I hear, main roads are fine. Parking lots stink. I'm at the Inn and cannot get out. The school parking lot is supposedly a sheet of ice. I *think* they moved yesterday's interviews to the hotels to keep people off the more treacherous roads, but I could be mistaken.

I will say this for DCOM. They've really kept our safety in mind during all this. They've moved tests and mandatory events, posted lectures early online, even sent a shuttle to take residents of the Inn to Walmart. They bough pizza for the Inn residents just the other day and have mentioned doing subway for lunch tomorrow. We really to have a family atmosphere and try to take care of each other!
Makes me want to go here even more!!!!

The two room is also more expensive. I am curious was there something wrong with the one bedroom?

Do you think its necessary to drive all the way back to LMU to find apartments. I assumed since they are furnished and sponsored by the school they are good enough.

The two room is also more expensive. I am curious was there something wrong with the one bedroom?

Do you think its necessary to drive all the way back to LMU to find apartments. I assumed since they are furnished and sponsored by the school they are good enough.

The one bedroom was too small for me. Its a studio type place. It's worked perfectly fine for others.

Just got the call !!!! I'll be going to DCOM!!!!

Reactions: 14 users
Got the call last week will be kindly rejecting it due to location !! Hopefully someone on the waitlist gets it !! Nice school, awesome facilities and great people !! =) Good luck !!

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I applied to LMU-DCOM this cycle, was complete on 01/28 and received an e-mail on 02/01 saying my application was put on hold. I sent an e-mail about 3 days ago and left a message to admissions 2 days ago, but still havn't heard back. Anyone have any information for people on hold pre-interview?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I applied to LMU-DCOM this cycle, was complete on 01/28 and received an e-mail on 02/01 saying my application was put on hold. I sent an e-mail about 3 days ago and left a message to admissions 2 days ago, but still having heard back. Anyone have any information for people on hold pre-interview?
Being on hold for one month isn't bad. At least they have said something. Try on hold since Nov (different school). As you may have read, a lot of us here didn't hear anything back after completion for at least a month. Have faith. Wait. Then call. Plus the weather is not helping them at all.

Being on hold for one month isn't bad. At least they have said something. Try on hold since Nov (different school). As you may have read, a lot of us here didn't hear anything back after completion for at least a month. Have faith. Wait. Then call. Plus the weather is not helping them at all.
Yeah this weather problem seems rough. Thanks for the info and best of luck to you with the holding game as well.

Last edited: