Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Liberty is super nice but I think at LMU they already know what they are doing and I feel you have way more time to prepare for boards. That's the most important I think.
I am inclined to agree, I am thinking of making a versus thread where I will put out my thoughts, and see what the response is.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I really wonder how much the weather has had an effect on west bound mail. I will be happy when going to the mailbox is just a normal thing again, instead of "omg did I get my letter today????"

Reactions: 2 users
I really wonder how much the weather has had an effect on west bound mail. I will be happy when going to the mailbox is just a normal thing again, instead of "omg did I get my letter today????"

Waiting for that damn letter is awful. I loved going back to ignoring the mailbox thereafter

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have a question. My application was completed a month ago and I've not heard anything back from them yet. Do you know when I should expect to hear from them?
My stat is 3.97overall, 3.94 science GPA, 24MCAT

Hi, I have a question. My application was completed a month ago and I've not heard anything back from them yet. Do you know when I should expect to hear from them?

You can call the admissions office, and see what is your status. I was complete in august and called back in late September to find out they offered me an II, they hadn't called me yet. Just be cordial on the phone and it won't hurt. Also they've been hit really bad with weather the last few weeks so that prob isn't helping anything

You can call the admissions office, and see what is your status. I was complete in august and called back in late September to find out they offered me an II, they hadn't called me yet. Just be cordial on the phone and it won't hurt. Also they've been hit really bad with weather the last few weeks so that prob isn't helping anything

We are closed today as well, so if you attempt this today you're unlikely to get an answer.

We are closed today as well, so if you attempt this today you're unlikely to get an answer.

So I know that you can stream last year's lecture from the media site, but what will you folks do to make up all the labs you missed?

So I know that you can stream last year's lecture from the media site, but what will you folks do to make up all the labs you missed?

They readjust the schedule as necessary. I think they cut some stuff out and combined others.

Thanks, I was going to call today to see if there were still spots open for bootcamp. Tomorrow instead, perhaps.

Accepted!!
The dean left a message yesterday. STATS: 3.91 gpa, 3.96 sgpa, 29 MCAT (From Canada)
Complete: Sometime in January.
Interview date: Mid-February

Any Canadians in this upcoming class??

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted!!
The dean left a message yesterday. STATS: 3.91 gpa, 3.96 sgpa, 29 MCAT (From Canada)

(Not Canadian, just liking because I am pretty sure you posted that this was your top choice and I am happy for you)

Reactions: 1 users
(Not Canadian, just liking because I am pretty sure you posted that this was your top choice and I am happy for you)

Yeah. I also just interview at Nova and I think I did really well. Both schools are unique and special in their own ways and I feel 50/50 on my decision.

LMU Pros/Cons:

-Has the friendliest students + faculty by far.
-Quiet area w/ barely any traffic
-Low standard of living + low tuition
-Poor amenities

NSU Pros/Cons:
-Nicest DO campus I have every witnessed.
-Weather + Attractions + Amenities
-Terrible traffic and noises from the road
-Distractions are everywhere

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you define poor amenities?
Mainly accessibility to resources outside of schooling (eg. recreation, shopping, entertainment, food, etc)
Harrogate has just the necessities. Nova is near Ft. Lauderdale and has everything you could imagine.

Ahhh. See, I am used to living out in the boonies, so I think an hour drive to entertainment is no big deal. I have to drive some 15 miles just to get to a gym to work out, haha.

Accepted!!

If come we will have to play some basketball! Guessing you like to play from the picture!!

Ahhh. See, I am used to living out in the boonies, so I think an hour drive to entertainment is no big deal. I have to drive some 15 miles just to get to a gym to work out, haha.

Speaking of, I was doing some Googling and saw some of the gyms in the area. The gym is a pretty big deal to me and most of them looked pretty lackluster as I go to a pretty nice gym now. Can anyone recommend good gyms in the area? Willing to drive maybe even thirty minutes each way.

Speaking of, I was doing some Googling and saw some of the gyms in the area. The gym is a pretty big deal to me and most of them looked pretty lackluster as I go to a pretty nice gym now. Can anyone recommend good gyms in the area? Willing to drive maybe even thirty minutes each way.
They just opened a new one, what I heaed

Can't find pictures of it on the website, though. I also found mention of a pool that was damaged, then drained and closed indefinitely. I would have liked a pool.

Can't find pictures of it on the website, though. I also found mention of a pool that was damaged, then drained and closed indefinitely. I would have liked a pool.

They did just build a new gym. It opened in just the last few weeks so there's probably not a lot online yet. The University Inn also had a modest gym. The on campus pool is the one I believe is broken, but there may be a new one in the new gym? There's also an outdoor pool at the Inn. There's a gym for ball games available too. I do know there's a gym in Middlesboro and one in New Tazwell but I'm not overly familiar with them.

Only 145 days until orientation...:)

Has anyone received II's recently?

Definitely call or email them. I emailed them and they replied with an interview invite.

Would it be too late to submit a secondary now?
I would send in a secondary, hopefully you can still get an interview. Worth a shot. If you still haven't sent a primary to them I would think it is too late.

Is there some sort of accepted students day where everyone goes to DCOM for a meet and greet and what not? I've heard other schools have something similar. I live about 4.5 hours away and would sort of like to see some houses/apartments before choosing (It would sure give me an excuse to make the trip). Along that note there's some conversation on FB about getting a house together, any others interested as well?

Ah! Okay I interviewed last Friday. Thought i did well. But I'm confused about the calling system.
If I haven't received a call today does that pretty much mean I'm not in?
Nope. They do the calls at their pace and the call might not necessarily come during business hours. Don't get worried if you don't get it today. Some people have gotten the letter first,while most, myself included, got the call first.

Is there some sort of accepted students day where everyone goes to DCOM for a meet and greet and what not? I've heard other schools have something similar. I live about 4.5 hours away and would sort of like to see some houses/apartments before choosing (It would sure give me an excuse to make the trip). Along that note there's some conversation on FB about getting a house together, any others interested as well?

Not that I know of. They do have "get to know you" type things during orientation.

I would send in a secondary, hopefully you can still get an interview. Worth a shot. If you still haven't sent a primary to them I would think it is too late.

Thanks. Does anyone know if the class is full or not?

Letter received today. :) going to ignore that mailbox tomorrow and really happy to be able to do so!

Reactions: 6 users
How long does it take for them to reply to email? I emailed them today to ask about my status. My application was completed a month ago.

Interviewed today. Told us they were getting very close to capacity but not to worry too much if you're waitlisted.

Man, that's just going to make me worry even more. I've waitlisted since November and have sent in a letter of intent on 2/16 but haven't gotten a response yet.

How long does it take for them to reply to email? I emailed them today to ask about my status. My application was completed a month ago.

They're not too bad with email but we were closed yesterday so the inbox may be full and it may be awhile before they get back. Usually it's best just to call.

Man, that's just going to make me worry even more. I've waitlisted since November and have sent in a letter of intent on 2/16 but haven't gotten a response yet.

A surprising number of our class were pulled off the wait list in June and July. Don't lose hope!

They told us about 60 people were taken off the wait list last year. Everything about the school is absolutely amazing, but you have to remember, Harrogate/Middlesboro/Tazewell are not really ideal places to live. If you're waitlisted, don't give up hope!

Nice. So does this mean you'll be with us in the fall? (Jw re: LMU-DCOM vs LUCOM thread)

Yessir. That thread was interesting tho. Helped me clear my thoughts.

Last edited:
Do you think that the extra Letters of rec helped?

Are we supposed to send a paper copy of them to DCOM?
All mine went via interfolio. I had strong LOR's with the exception of one Sci professor who obviously forgot how I was as a student, but still wrote me a 'positive' letter at least. I mean it depends on how relevent the letters are to you. I am a nurse, so I had 2 nursing supervisors, 2 Sci, 1 MD (really strong letter from a Friend/mentor I have know for 15 years), 1 DO (Works with me in surgical services), and my pastor (a big part of my app).

So if you have a bunch of letters that really attest to who you are as a person, I would send 'em. But make sure they are quality and not quantity.

I am not sure how much they helped, but I have to imagine that they were part of the reason.

Do you think that the extra Letters of rec helped?

Are we supposed to send a paper copy of them to DCOM?
I mean I really think it depends on where you are in your life. If you're like me and coming straight from undergrad and have a committee, all you need is that and a DO letter. If you want one more to supplement that's fine, but probably unnecessary, so I would say 2-3.
If you're later in life Id have 1 or 2 supervisors, science faculty as required and a DO, so I would say 4-5.

Edit: When you apply next cycle letters of rec can go straight to AACOMAS and they can distribute to medical schools, so don't worry about paper copies.

Last edited:
So what happens after they get your deposit? Do you get more info from the school about what's next?

After deposit they send you an email with all the background check information that you will need to complete.

I sent 4 LORs, 2 MDs, one from my Air Force commander and one from a PA from a clinic I have volunteered at for the past couple years.

I'd say minimum of 3 would be sufficient as long as they are from quality sources and talk about who you are not just what you've done.