Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did any of you guys find out if you were accepted before Friday after your interview? Also if you get wait listed do they call and tell you or do you have to wait for the letter?

Can't help with your first question but if you are waitlisted, you don't get a phone call. You're stuck waiting until the letter comes in to confirm it.

Members don't see this ad.

Did any of you guys find out if you were accepted before Friday after your interview? Also if you get wait listed do they call and tell you or do you have to wait for the letter?

On my interview they said the committee meets every Wednesday or Thursday. I interviewed on a Friday and found out the following Friday. However, I don't know if you would find out on the first Friday after your interview if you interviewed on a Monday, for example.

I interviewed on a Monday and get my acceptance call that Friday of the same week.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have there been any interview offers in March?

Reactions: 1 user
My app was completed on 02/01/15 and I've not heard anything since. :(
I wonder if I still have a shot or not.

My app was completed on 02/01/15 and I've not heard anything since. :(
I wonder if I still have a shot or not.
rule of thumb is call after a month. For you, subtract the 2 weeks they weren't in session for massive snow. Time to call and prove how interested you are.

I'd just call the office. They'll patch you through to the right person.

Random Question: So I am looking into purchasing a laptop for med school and want to make sure I get something that will meet the needs of a medical student. Is there any reason to need an optical disc drive? Aside from the minimum requirements on the website, such as the operating system, 1.5 GHz or faster processor, 10.5" screen size, webcam, etc, is there anything that you would recommend having? Is a 14" or 15" screen sufficient for class and testing purposes? Anything you wish you knew before you purchased your laptop? Comments or suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Just talked to Janette today and she was surprised that I didn't get an interview. She said she would bring my application for review again. Fingers crossed that I would get an interview still. She told me that there are only a few interview days left for this application cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
Random Question: So I am looking into purchasing a laptop for med school and want to make sure I get something that will meet the needs of a medical student. Is there any reason to need an optical disc drive? Aside from the minimum requirements on the website, such as the operating system, 1.5 GHz or faster processor, 10.5" screen size, webcam, etc, is there anything that you would recommend having? Is a 14" or 15" screen sufficient for class and testing purposes? Anything you wish you knew before you purchased your laptop? Comments or suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Here's what I will be using for help. These guys know their stuff, plus there's some suggestions to the right.

http://www.reddit.com/r/suggestalaptop

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've got a couple of questions about the MS in Anatomical Sciences that feeds into the medical school. I recently got my waitlist letter in the mail and this is my backup plan, but the interview made me think that the transition is not seamless. So could anyone who is an OMS1 or OMS2 answer some questions?
1) these block exams - I know as an MS student, you are taking your MGA exams apart from the med students. When you are an OMS1 student and you are not having to take anatomy, do you still have anatomy on your block exams?
2) finances. If you are not taking MGA as an OMS1, how much does this knock off the $44,000 tuition.
3)A few people have mentioned that LMU still pulls several people from the waitlist a week before classes start? Does being in the MS program make it less or more likely that you will recieve a call?
4) do you recommend the gross anatomy boot camp before starting the MS in anatomical sciences? I know it is open for MS students as well.

for number 2, (I'm a master's student accepted to DCOM this year) I talked to Dr. Leo and he said that tuition doesn't change even if you've already taken it. It's same price for everyone, if you don't have to retake it he suggests auditing the class to keep up for boards and whatnot. They said if you have above a 3.0 for fall semester in the masters program, you are granted an interview! Just do really well in all your classes, and get an A or B in MGA. I wish I had done the bootcamp, everyone I talked to absolutely loved it and said it really prepared them. If you haven't taken anatomy at all I definitely would do bootcamp.

Moved my stuff into the Ball Realty apartments this weekend. My first impression is that it's great place to be if anyone is considering it. It's quiet and you know you are surrounded by people in similar shoes. Very nice neighborhood. Plus it's just down the road from LMU.
Are those affiliated with the school?

Any word on pre-interview holds?...as in..should I start prepping next year's app?

I'm in the same boat @bioethicsgrad0748 I spoke with admissions last week and was told theres always hope, but a definite answer should be given out around the end of this month or first week of April. Let me know if you hear anything new!

Also, is there anyone else in the same position this cycle who did get offered an interview?

Are those affiliated with the school?

No not really. However, They only rent to LMU medical, PA and Vet students. So it is a good place to live because it's a neighborhood with people of similar goals to yourself. At least that's the word, I just moved in so hopefully I'm not proven wrong lol.

No not really. However, They only rent to LMU medical, PA and Vet students. So it is a good place to live because it's a neighborhood with people of similar goals to yourself. At least that's the word, I just moved in so hopefully I'm not proven wrong lol.
I know the ones in Tazewell on Lester Green Lane have a few that are rented to non-students. I ventured down there two weeks ago and met one of the non-student neighbors; she was extremely nice and seemed like a perfect neighbor. With that said, she did say that most of the duplexes in Tazewell were students.

Ball Apts are awesome. All of my friends live there, and they are roomy!

I'm in the same boat @bioethicsgrad0748 I spoke with admissions last week and was told theres always hope, but a definite answer should be given out around the end of this month or first week of April. Let me know if you hear anything new!

Also, is there anyone else in the same position this cycle who did get offered an interview?
The wait is killing me...haha I keep going back and forth from "no chance" to "there is STILL hope!!" I'll keep you posted if there is any news on this end.

Also...did admissions say whether or not pre-interview holds will hear either way? Or only if an interview is granted?

Also...did admissions say whether or not pre-interview holds will hear either way? Or only if an interview is granted?

I believe they said you'll get some sort of response (good or bad) between the end of the month and 1st week of April, maybe even 2nd bc of the time off for the weather this year.

Holy crap, they process that FAFSA quickly.

Unrelated to admissions but we found out a 4th year matched at Harvard for Psych .. DCOM's moving up in the world!

Reactions: 6 users
Unrelated to admissions but we found out a 4th year matched at Harvard for Psych .. DCOM's moving up in the world!
Any other match news? I checked out their FB page, but no one has posted much!

Me too. I am still on pre-interview hold. Do you know know if they are interviewing for waitlist spots now?

Me too. I am still on pre-interview hold. Do you know know if they are interviewing for waitlist spots now?

I actually asked Robin something similar on Monday. She said they never interview solely for waitlist spots. There are seats open at every interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know it Ball apts or TK will be available by June. That's probably when I'll hear back from all my wait lists

Anyone know it Ball apts or TK will be available by June. That's probably when I'll hear back from all my wait lists

I would think that june/July their primary availability time because that's when people are about to move out.

Waitlisted. LMU was one of my top choices, and I need to decide is it worth staying on the waitlist since I've been accepted into KYCOM?

Waitlisted. LMU was one of my top choices, and I need to decide is it worth staying on the waitlist since I've been accepted into KYCOM?

Sorry to hear. Congrats on KYCOM. If given if opportunity to go to DCOM over KYCOM would you take it? If so there is nothing wrong with keeping your hat in the ring to get off WL. Way I look at it go where you get in... But if you have a choice, go where you want to go :)

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear. Congrats on KYCOM. If given if opportunity to go to DCOM over KYCOM would you take it? If so there is nothing wrong with keeping your hat in the ring to get off WL. Way I look at it go where you get in... But if you have a choice, go where you want to go :)

Agreed. And maybe think about when you'd realistically accept a WL spot. If you get the call the last week of July during orientation, will you accept it? If not, pull your name off at that point, just so the next guy will get the call that much sooner. But if you're willing to change plans last minute, leave your name on WL as long as you want! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Similar situation. I loved DCOM, but the smallishness of the town will be difficult with my family. Did anyone from previous years wait until late to find housing?

Similar situation. I loved DCOM, but the smallishness of the town will be difficult with my family. Did anyone from previous years wait until late to find housing?

I have a friend who moved her family into Harrogate late August/early September after realizing the commute form Knoxville was too far.

yes omg, do not move to knoxville. especially because you're going to be at school almost all of the time just for MGA... and then to have all of your other classes as well... move as close as possible.

Can anyone tell me: is Mars Lee or the Inn (campus housing) real loud? Is it difficult to sleep at night? That is my only concern I guess with campus housing, sorry if this question has been asked a bunch of times. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me: is Mars Lee or the Inn (campus housing) real loud? Is it difficult to sleep at night? That is my only concern I guess with campus housing, sorry if this question has been asked a bunch of times. Thanks!
I live at the Inn. First floor can be loud, otherwise it's pretty quiet. I have a neighbor that gets a bit loud but nothing I've felt the need to call him out on.

Is there a preferred color of scrubs for class?

Also I would like to know if we can wear scrubs in rotations

This is going to depend entirely on the rotation and the hospital you do it in. In general you where scrubs while in the hospital on surgery and obgyn and business clothes in clinic. Business clothes in almost everything else unless you do another surgical specialty rotation.