Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do people commonly wear scrubs to class? That seems odd.

Business casual is required for class. Scrubs are only allowed in labs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Business casual is required for class. Scrubs are only allowed in labs.

What is DCOMs / student body interpretation of business casual? Usually has a loose definition.

What is DCOMs / student body interpretation of business casual? Usually has a loose definition.

It gets looser as the semester drags on. :) by the handbook it would be collared shirts for guys, nice tops/blouse for girls, nice jeans are acceptable. No flip flops.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommended scrubs? This will be my first purchase of scrubs.

On a different note, for those of us going to boot camp, what all do we need? Scrubs? Do we need a dissection kit?

I've also been wondering about stethoscopes for the first year. My dad gave me a stethoscope he got for free from a drug rep a few years ago, but I'm thinking about getting a cardiology stethoscope. Is it a good idea to go ahead and get a nice stethoscope? Or should we wait until we start rotations?

Any recommended scrubs? This will be my first purchase of scrubs.
Buy cheap for the first two years. You'll throw your anatomy ones away. They also sell monogrammed scrubs later in the semester (but you'll need some before then).

On a different note, for those of us going to boot camp, what all do we need? Scrubs? Do we need a dissection kit?

I've also been wondering about stethoscopes for the first year. My dad gave me a stethoscope he got for free from a drug rep a few years ago, but I'm thinking about getting a cardiology stethoscope. Is it a good idea to go ahead and get a nice stethoscope? Or should we wait until we start rotations?

You will start listening to heart and lung sounds immediately. My advice is to invest in one that EPI plan to use for awhile. It takes awhile to get in the hang of listening (or at least it has for me). I wouldn't want to switch steths right now. Just my opinion though.

You will start listening to heart and lung sounds immediately. My advice is to invest in one that EPI plan to use for awhile. It takes awhile to get in the hang of listening (or at least it has for me). I wouldn't want to switch steths right now. Just my opinion though.
Would you recommend a cardiology stethoscope? Or is that uneccessary?

Buy cheap for the first two years. You'll throw your anatomy ones away. They also sell monogrammed scrubs later in the semester (but you'll need some before then).
Whoa whoa whoa. You'll throw away your anatomy ones???

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh psssh. Just wash with those little bounce pebbles.

LOL. When I took graduate anatomy, I would just copy the pages I would use for that day (since copying was free at the medical school where my class was). Then I would not have to face having a formaldehyde ridden book.

As a respiratory therapist, I would recommend Litmann Cardio III as well. A nice stethoscope and can be found for a decent price online.

For buying scrubs, I like the Dickies brand, comfy and they have a style with lots of cargo pockets, comes in handy.

LOL. When I took graduate anatomy, I would just copy the pages I would use for that day (since copying was free at the medical school where my class was). Then I would not have to face having a formaldehyde ridden book.

We had one dedicated lab book that we left in there. It got pretty disgusting.

I'm in the same boat @bioethicsgrad0748 I spoke with admissions last week and was told theres always hope, but a definite answer should be given out around the end of this month or first week of April. Let me know if you hear anything new!

Also, is there anyone else in the same position this cycle who did get offered an interview?

Just got the bummer email...looks like I will be applying here again this upcoming cycle..

Well I have the Littmann Master Cardiologist myself, but you can't go wrong with a Cardiology III. Littmann is the brand to get in stethoscopes, everything else is sub-par in comparison IMO. You might as well get an expensive one now (150ish), cause you will be using it forever. I have had the same one since around 2006, and quite frankly, its on the young side compared to others I see.

Reactions: 1 users
Whoa whoa whoa. You'll throw away your anatomy ones???

I literally burned mine. Formaldehyde is very flammable.

Just scrubs and gloves for the lab part. As mentioned above don't get too attached to them. You will be learning on the prosected bodies from the PA class. You wont do any actually dissection.

Anyone know if you were supposed to receive an email regarding "Certified Background" once you pay the seat deposit?
I need to know exactly what vaccinations and medical tests are required...

Anyone know recent step 1 and comlex averages for Dcom?

Anyone know if you were supposed to receive an email regarding "Certified Background" once you pay the seat deposit?
I need to know exactly what vaccinations and medical tests are required...
Yup, I can't remember how long it took, but I got an email with instructions about logging into certified profile and starting an account. Then, certified profile will tell you exactly everything they need from you. Its all pretty easy. Hang tight until you get your email. I'd call after two weeks or so if you haven't gotten the email.

Anyone know recent step 1 and comlex averages for Dcom?
http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/postgraduate.shtml
This page has the pass rates from 2011-2013, I'm not sure where you could find out about the actual average score. Perhaps one of the medical students would know? I'd like to find out too.

Edit-Actuallyyyyy, I just realized those pass rates are for Step 3 of the COMLEX. Whoops! Sorry about that. I have no idea where to find the Step 1 scores or the pass rates.

Hang in there man. You'll learn a lot in your gap year, I'm actually glad I ended up having one
Thanks, man. Yes just trying to look on the bright side, and hoping this upcoming year will do me some good.

This page has the pass rates from 2011-2013, I'm not sure where you could find out about the actual average score. Perhaps one of the medical students would know? I'd like to find out too.

Edit-Actuallyyyyy, I just realized those pass rates are for Step 3 of the COMLEX. Whoops! Sorry about that. I have no idea where to find the Step 1 scores or the pass rates.

Pretty sure not a single DO school posts their average scores. Let alone, half of them are pretty sketchy about what they let you know even about pass rates.

Pretty sure not a single DO school posts their average scores. Let alone, half of them are pretty sketchy about what they let you know even about pass rates.

All we've gotten is a vague "greater than 90% passed."

Does anyone know whether medical records of vaccinations will suffice or are titers needed?

Does anyone know whether medical records of vaccinations will suffice or are titers needed?

I think it says titers are required. For Hep B, Varicella, and MMR. Five total. If you don't have insurance, find a doc that will code you low, usually at around 50$. Tell them its for med school. Then just ask him to write script to Theranos, the Walgreens labs. It would only be about 40$ for the titers.

Yup. Gotta have titers to prove the vaccines "took." A lot of us had to have boosters.

Agreed. I interviewed at DMU and they gave us their avg COMLEX/USMLE scores during interview. But as you said, schools don't seem to be forthcoming with posting these publicly.

has anyone from the 3/20 or 3/23 interview dates gotten called yet? I'm so anxious I've practically bitten my nails down to nothing :scared:

has anyone from the 3/20 or 3/23 interview dates gotten called yet? I'm so anxious I've practically bitten my nails down to nothing :scared:
Wait till about 10 pm to be nervous, that is when I got my call.

I'm waiting by the phone too. Blood pressure might be going up at the moment lol

I'm waiting by the phone too. Blood pressure might be going up at the moment lol
Still waiting for the phone call as well. I interviewed 3/23. Anyone get a call yet?

I haven't been on here for a while, but reading through the forum there are some questions that maybe I can help expound on.

Scrubs (boot camp and during classes): you will need a few pair of scrubs. You will also need some scrubs for OPP lab, or you can wear gym clothes for this too. As for the anatomy scrubs, you will want to probably go cheap as already stated. Earlier it was said that you will burn these scrubs, but really, if you don't bath yourself or get the fluids all over you, then you wont have to burn the scrubs. I still have my scrubs and you cannot smell formaldehyde on them at all. But, I am taller and was able to work on the donor from above and not the side, if that makes sense, so keeping the fluid off me was easier than having to work up and in the table.

Stethoscope: When you start, the school hosts Welch Allyn who comes and sells a diagnostic kit. The kit does contain a stethoscope if you want to just use that. However, I agree with what was said earlier regarding Littmann products. I have a Cardiology III and love it. I worked with several stethoscopes as an EMT before starting at DCOM and the Cardiology III is my favorite by far. But, this does not mean that a Cardiology III is necessary. There are many different ones that people have and like. A recommendation: If you don't go with the Welch allyn stethescope, this can be benificial as you can order your own perosnal one with your name on it. The welch allyn kit sells all the same colors, so they could easily be confused with someone elses and lost. I bought mine from Allheart.com and had it personalized with my name. If you end up buying the diagnostic kit, you can ask to have the stethescope removed and they will take 100 off the price of the kit (or something like that).

Boot camp: For boot camp, you don't need to bring anything but your scrubs and a pair of shoes you don't care about. Those you cannot wash very well so the smell doesn't come out, even if you didn't get fluid on them. They will provide you with the book that will be used. However, last year several students brought their computers and used that along with the book. We posted powerpoints that we used to teach with and they would download and study from them.

Boards and Residency: You wont find the boards scores for schools on websites, from my understanding. DCOM does not post them. However, traditionally DCOM students do really well on boards. Last year I only heard of one student who did not pass on the first attempt. There have been some in the 400's that I have heard of, many in the 500's and several in the 600-700. The highest I have heard from last year was a 710, this is fantastic. DCOM's residency placement has been great in the last few years. Here is a link in case you haven't looked at it:

Sorry for everyone who hasn't heard back from the school yet or has received an unfortunate notification. Good luck with your other applications. Medicine is a persistence game, keep on keeping on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Congrats Happy Student, your post is 2000th. Lmu-dcom thread is always among the longest threads or maybe the longest. This indicates people's interest in DCOM !

I haven't been on here for a while, but reading through the forum there are some questions that maybe I can help expound on.

Scrubs (boot camp and during classes): you will need a few pair of scrubs. You will also need some scrubs for OPP lab, or you can wear gym clothes for this too. As for the anatomy scrubs, you will want to probably go cheap as already stated. Earlier it was said that you will burn these scrubs, but really, if you don't bath yourself or get the fluids all over you, then you wont have to burn the scrubs. I still have my scrubs and you cannot smell formaldehyde on them at all. But, I am taller and was able to work on the donor from above and not the side, if that makes sense, so keeping the fluid off me was easier than having to work up and in the table.

Stethoscope: When you start, the school hosts Welch Allyn who comes and sells a diagnostic kit. The kit does contain a stethoscope if you want to just use that. However, I agree with what was said earlier regarding Littmann products. I have a Cardiology III and love it. I worked with several stethoscopes as an EMT before starting at DCOM and the Cardiology III is my favorite by far. But, this does not mean that a Cardiology III is necessary. There are many different ones that people have and like. A recommendation: If you don't go with the Welch allyn stethescope, this can be benificial as you can order your own perosnal one with your name on it. The welch allyn kit sells all the same colors, so they could easily be confused with someone elses and lost. I bought mine from Allheart.com and had it personalized with my name. If you end up buying the diagnostic kit, you can ask to have the stethescope removed and they will take 100 off the price of the kit.

Boot camp: For boot camp, you don't need to bring anything but your scrubs and a pair of shoes you don't care about. Those you cannot wash very well so the smell doesn't come out, even if you didn't get fluid on them. They will provide you with the book that will be used. However, last year several students brought their computers and used that along with the book. We posted powerpoints that we used to teach with and they would download and study from them.

Boards and Residency: You wont find the boards scores for schools on websites, from my understanding. DCOM does not post them. However, traditionally DCOM students do really well on boards. Last year I only heard of one student who did not pass on the first attempt. There have been some in the 400's that I have heard of, many in the 500's and several in the 600-700. The highest I have heard from last year was a 710, this is fantastic. DCOM's residency placement has been great in the last few years. Here is a link in case you haven't looked at it:

Sorry for everyone who hasn't heard back from the school yet or has received an unfortunate notification. Good luck with your other applications. Medicine is a persistence game, keep on keeping on.

2000th? that means SDN will be paying for my loans right?

Congrats Happy Student, your post is 2000th. Lmu-dcom thread is always among the longest threads or maybe the longest. This indicates people's interest in DCOM !

Alright guys. Lets get serious about something. . .

. . . DCOM's website is terrible. Someone has to be an awesome web developer here. Lets update this blast from the 90s. Haha.

Reactions: 3 users

. . . DCOM's website is terrible. Someone has to be an awesome web developer here. Lets update this blast from the 90s. Haha.

I didn't even know they had internet in Tennessee

I

I would be happy if their darn app would work on my phone!!!

I like their website, its straightforward. I suppose modernizing would have only 4 buttons so its mobile friendly, but you wouldn't be able to find anything

Look at the DCOM site compared to the DVM school site http://vetmed.lmunet.edu.

Overall I don't mind the site, I would rather they spent the money on sim lab equipment or other class tech than the website. But I must admit @HandsomeRob is right, it's easy to navigate.