Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So did the laptop get put back in the tuition? Because it is 46k now, when I am pretty sure it was 44k at interview day..

I doubt it. At my interview day, if I remember correctly, pat (finaid lady) mentioned that the tuition might change before when started. It wouldn't surprise me if it increased

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it. At my interview day, if I remember correctly, pat (finaid lady) mentioned that the tuition might change before when started. It wouldn't surprise me if it increased
I remember her talking about giving us a '1k allowance' for a computer, maybe its part of the general 'supplies'. A 2k tuition hike after it was hiked just a year or two ago sucks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Its on the OMS-1 detailed budget ~$900 and it's separate from tuition under 'books and supplies'
http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/oms1_detailed_description.pdf

Agreed it sucks
Ic, that breakdown is what I remember (minus the 46k part). I think I am choosing a new specialty, primary care cant pay these bills, time to go straight to DO school founder:
Cash.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ic, that breakdown is what I remember (minus the 46k part). I think I am choosing a new specialty, primary care cant pay these bills, time to go straight to DO school founder:
Cash.jpg

Tuition is pretty ridiculous, maybe after we graduate we'll open a school, seems like the way to go

And people wonder why we have a primary care shortage

Cash.jpg

And people wonder why we have a primary care shortage
The secret is, if we open enough DO schools, and only add a few primary care residencies each year, eventually 90% of DO will only match primary (All ACGME tho!)! Problem solved!

Last edited:
2k a year tuition hikes not a problem at all. No financial aid. I am begining to think DO is becoming the Caribbean.

The secret is, if we open enough DO schools, and only add a few primary care residencies each year, eventually 90% of DO will only match primary (All ACGME tho!)! Problem solved! And a side benefit is we will over saturate primary care thus further reducing cost as primary physicians take 'whatever job they can get' for less money!

This is slowly becoming a bubble, much like the pharmacy bubble an burst they are experiencing right now.

Law school
Pharmacy school
Next Medical School

There is quickly becoming no safe field.

The question I have is how in the world DO schools think they can get away with this. I mean, I understand the basic principle, there is a HUGE demand to want into medical school, so they can charge whatever they like. Easy money, anyone accepted can get a loan from the government, creating an inflation loop. The issue Im seeing is that there is aggressive expansion of schools, that should make supply a bit higher and cater to demand a bit more, right? And when does said loop collapse? It is about to for college, give it like 5 more years, but when for med school? You can't foreclose on an education.

These are legitimate concerns. I doubt the bubble will burst while we are in med school... When we become attendings, who knows.

This is slowly becoming a bubble, much like the pharmacy bubble an burst they are experiencing right now.

Law school
Pharmacy school
Next Medical School

There is quickly becoming no safe field.
The question I have is how in the world DO schools think they can get away with this. I mean, I understand the basic principle, there is a HUGE demand to want into medical school, so they can charge whatever they like. Easy money, anyone accepted can get a loan from the government, creating an inflation loop. The issue Im seeing is that there is aggressive expansion of schools, that should make supply a bit higher and cater to demand a bit more, right? And when does said loop collapse? It is about to for college, give it like 5 more years, but when for med school? You can't foreclose on an education.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are legitimate concerns. I doubt the bubble will burst while we are in med school... When we become attendings, who knows.

The bubble can't burst like those other fields, physicians will always be needed. The problem is the over saturation of certain fields (specialties) in popular areas while the undesirable primary care jobs in rural America will be left unfilled.

The bubble can't burst like those other fields, physicians will always be needed. The problem is the over saturation of certain fields (specialties) in popular areas while the undesirable primary care jobs in rural America will be left unfilled.

I agree with your overall point, but I see the "bubble" as #Med grads>#residencies (if they do not expand). I agree, physicians will be needed, just there is concern IMO about a residency bottleneck that prevents/delays med grads from becoming fully boarded physicians (of whom there is demand).

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with your overall point, but I see the "bubble" as #Med grads>#residencies (if they do not expand). I agree, physicians will be needed, just there is concern IMO about a residency bottleneck that prevents/delays med grads from becoming fully boarded physicians (of whom there is demand).

That's the goal. There's plenty of spots*.
*family practice only.

They want to push people to fill the primary shortage.

Exactly. We'll have jobs, just not the jobs we want. Can you say Walmart doctors? :wtf:

Yeah it really sucks, but I guess we can be glad that we're somewhat in the middle. Touro's and Western's are in the 50s. CCOM/AZCOM hit 60k tuition this year.
This makes me super happy CCOM rejected me. Even if they were classless and did it only after they had had my secondary for 6 months. Then they turned around a few weeks later and were all "well, sorry you didn't get in, but please come pay money for one of our programs a step away from what you actually want!"

... And then pay us 60k tuition, if we decide to take you. Well we are happy you'll be a fellow DCOMer with us :)

This makes me super happy CCOM rejected me. Even if they were classless and did it only after they had had my secondary for 6 months. Then they turned around a few weeks later and were all "well, sorry you didn't get in, but please come pay money for one of our programs a step away from what you actually want!"

Not sure when it technically begins. I'd say in the next few weeks. And they do pull people off even into orientation week.
Looking at past threads, I think we're at least close to done with interviews (website says "through early-May") so hopefully things will start moving. The wait is killing me! Please you people who kinda want to go somewhere else, DO!
That being said, could anyone post a kind of "to-do" list? I'd like to at least get my vaccines and titres done, what do I need besides Hep B?

Looking at past threads, I think we're at least close to done with interviews (website says "through early-May") so hopefully things will start moving. The wait is killing me! Please you people who kinda want to go somewhere else, DO!
That being said, could anyone post a kind of "to-do" list? I'd like to at least get my vaccines and titres done, what do I need besides Hep B?

I would wait until you get an official acceptance. Drug screens and blood work have to be within X months of entering school and in the unlikely chance you don't get the acceptance, you don't wanna have to pay for them again next year.

We have our official "end of interview" dinner tonight with the tour guides so I believe they're over :)

I don't know if any of you guys signed up for those messages from the AAMC when you signed up for your MCAT, but did anyone see the one about "Sen. Schumer sponsors legislation to expand GME." I couldn't find any articles about it directly, but I did find the text of HR 1117 ---> https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/1117/text?q={"search":["Graduate medical education"]} Which, from my limited understanding of legalese, *LOOKS* like it's trying to create more residency spots via grants.

(Although Schumer is not even the author of the legislation and it is a house resolution rather than a senate one, so maybe I found the wrong one?)

Janette just responded to my email and said they have concluded their interview process. She said that their are about 100 people on the alternate list. She also informed me that about 50 people who paid their matriculation fee will end up dropping it and the waitlisters will be considered here as well! Good luck!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Obviously it will be difficult to get the background check and drug test without the codes/forms they provide on Certified Profile, but you need the following titers - measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, and hep b.
You need to provide proof of the following vaccination series - Tdap and polio.
There will be about 4 forms your doc needs to fill out after (physical exam, health history, immunization from, and TB test), then you download and sign their technical standards form, the records release, and upload proof of insurance and scan for all to certified background/profile/whatever they decide to call themselves for the point in the process you are. Voila!

Do you have a back up plan to fill your gap year yet?

Last edited:
Janette just responded to my email and said they have concluded their interview process. She said that their are about 100 people on the alternate list. She also informed me that about 50 people who paid their matriculation fee will end up dropping it and the waitlisters will be considered here as well! Good luck!!!!!
Did she say anything about how full the class is currently? Just to get a estimate on how many people will be pulled off including those 50 people who will be dropping their seats.

I'm assuming the 50 people is an estimate based off of historical wait list movement.

Did she say anything about how full the class is currently? Just to get a estimate on how many people will be pulled off including those 50 people who will be dropping their seats.
She did not tell me that. I could send her an email and ask her. I'm sure she is tired of my emails already. I hope all of us positive waitlisters get pulled off!

Hey guys I am new to this thread and it is my first time applying to American schools. Can someone please help me with a few questions.
1. When do applications for next year admissions start?
2. Have there been any canadians at DCOM?
3. Should I apply with a 3.3 GPA, 25 MCAT (9P, 6V, 10B), good ECs. Are those stats competitive for DCOM as a canadian applicant?

If you apply here and at other schools, apply to the med program, but maybe also try and apply for the masters program here as well. They have biomedical sciences and anatomical sciences, i would chose the latter (and I did... it was amazing). You get to take three med school classes to get out of the way for your first year of medical school. just an idea for ya! message me if you have any questions about it :)

Withdrawing my acceptance today. Good luck to all. Hope a deserving applicant enjoys the surprise of being accepted as much as I did.

Question to those on the wait list: Since the AACOMAS primary application just re-opened today (actually like 15 minutes ago), are you going to send in your application again while on the wait list?

I currently have zero acceptances for the Class of 2019 but I am on the wait list at LMU-DCOM, ACOM, and Touro COM NY Middletown. I know that most of the movement from these wait lists will happen this month but there is still a good chance that I don't get accepted off any of them or even possibly get pulled of a wait list in late June/early August. The problem is that I want to apply ASAP for the next cycle to be as competitive as I can.

Any thoughts? What are you other wait listers without acceptances doing?

Question to those on the wait list: Since the AACOMAS primary application just re-opened today (actually like 15 minutes ago), are you going to send in your application again while on the wait list?

I currently have zero acceptances for the Class of 2019 but I am on the wait list at LMU-DCOM, ACOM, and Touro COM NY Middletown. I know that most of the movement from these wait lists will happen this month but there is still a good chance that I don't get accepted off any of them or even possibly get pulled of a wait list in late June/early August. The problem is that I want to apply ASAP for the next cycle to be as competitive as I can.

Hey, I am new to the osteopathic applications, do you mind sharing your stats?

I don't have any advice on the situation. But I hope your waitlists turn into at least one acceptance!

I'd almost call and ask the admissions office. You can 1) let them know you're still very interested in a position and 2) get their honest advice. Word it correctly and I think it would be fine.

I will say this is our graduation week so most of our faculty and staff are busy elsewhere. I'd be surprised to see any wait list movement until closer to the end of May. But obviously that's just my opinion.

just withdrew my acceptance today. Hope one of you fine people get it:nod:

Reactions: 2 users
So I just got an acceptance offer from Des Moines. And I am in the uncomfortable position of having to decide between DMU and DCOM.

I already have a lease for a house for my family and I at DCOM (not that I can't get out of it, but already went through all that effort). And I would have to scramble another 1k for a deposit (and lose my one from DCOM).

Des Moines is only 3 hours from where I live now, so less move, but more expensive than DCOM as far as living expenses and the like.

More likely than not I'll still go to DCOM, anyone had to choose between 2 schools you really liked?

Edit: 1,250 deposit from DCOM

Last edited:
So I just got an acceptance offer from Des Moines. And I am in the uncomfortable position of having to decide between DMU and DCOM.

I already have a lease for a house for my family and I at DCOM (not that I can't get out of it, but already went through all that effort). And I would have to scramble another 1k for a deposit (and lose my 2.5k one from DCOM).

Des Moines is only 3 hours from where I live now, so less move, but more expensive than DCOM as far as living expenses and the like.

More likely than not I'll still go to DCOM, anyone had to choose between 2 schools you really liked?
Yeah, I did. The big thing for DMU over DCOM is the OPTI, IMO. The location seems like it might be a plus for you too, nd rotations are probably better established/set up. If I understood correctly DCOM students had difficulty in the AOA specialty match this year. I believe this is the only area where DMU will really help you over DCOM. Otherwise for ACGME all DO's are in the same boat. Its a hard decision. Just do your best with it.

Btw, DCOM obvious advantage is price. I dont know about required attendance or format for DMU either. Also we get a lot of electives that are not common at other programs in 3rd year.

$2.5k deposit? I think mine was only $1,250.

$2.5k deposit? I think mine was only $1,250.
Lol yeah i wondered about that too... stlblues must have been feeling REALLY committed when he got his seat.

Oh one more pro for dmu, if you have a deposit on the 2/2 duplex from ball realty, I want one, and am on the waitlist. So kind of a positive for me. Although not having stlblues as a classmate could be a downer in the long run, so maybe not quite even.

Waitlist are maddening man, I am on one too and its nothing but trouble. And yet I cant bring myself to cut it off. We just need to settle down with DCOM and stop the SDN based madness. Its a great school we all loved it on interview day, and were overjoyed to get in. But then you read about match issues and you go crazy with the what ifs. We are already in medical school, at least at this point theres no more wrong decisions here unless you fail.

Plus that certified background was time consuming too.

I have interviewed at both. DMU waitlisted me last cycle. This cycle they ignored my app the whole time lol. Not that I have any bad feelings about it! DCOM was so different when I went to the interview as opposed to DMU. Yes, both awesome schools. DCOM has the better anatomy lab, but we'll only see it ONE semester. DMU has an awesome theater for OMM. HOWEVER, which felt like home? Because it will have to be your new home. To me, DMU was what I imagine a super nice 5 star resort hotel would be like, whereas DCOM felt like coming home after a vacation. I know that's cheesy and corny, and you have other factors to worry about like the schools and day care available for your kids, opportunities for your wife's employment... But if those are equal at both, go with your gut.

Edit: Just remembered about their surgery prep deal. How interested are you in surgery? I don't think DCOM has a program similar to the one room that DMU has where you scrub in etc. But if you were particularly drawn to surgery, that might influence your decision.

Last edited:
My bad it's 1250, idk why I put that, think I was adding other expenses I already paid ino (house deposit/ certified background/etc)

Not one of the ball realty, it's in new tazewell
Thats funny, I have a deposit in old tazewell right now, we will be neighbors practically!

Waitlist are maddening man, I am on one too and its nothing but trouble. And yet I cant bring myself to cut it off. We just need to settle down with DCOM and stop the SDN based madness. Its a great school we all loved it on interview day, and were overjoyed to get in. But then you read about match issues and you go crazy with the what ifs. We are already in medical school, at least at this point theres no more wrong decisions here unless you fail.

Plus that certified background was time consuming too.

This. At this point all I have to do is show up to DCOM. With DMU, I would have to do all of their stuff frantically before another deadline... And redo finaid AND find a place to live.

I have until next week to decide. I will ponder it over the weekend. I feel I already know what it is.