Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This. At this point all I have to do is show up to DCOM. With DMU, I would have to do all of their stuff frantically before another deadline... And redo finaid AND find a place to live.

I have until next week to decide. I will ponder it over the weekend. I feel I already know what it is.
I admit that if DMU was significantly cheaper or MD I might tell you differently, but I dont think it is really worth it as is. Even with the better rep in the 'DO world' that just really isnt worth anything. AOA residencys are shrinking and not growing, especially for specialties, (which is all that matters since a DO can match primary with ease in ACGME). So no decision should be made based on them IMO.

Therefore, I say stay DCOM, unless DMU give you some crazy scholarship or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just got an acceptance offer from Des Moines. And I am in the uncomfortable position of having to decide between DMU and DCOM.

I already have a lease for a house for my family and I at DCOM (not that I can't get out of it, but already went through all that effort). And I would have to scramble another 1k for a deposit (and lose my one from DCOM).

Des Moines is only 3 hours from where I live now, so less move, but more expensive than DCOM as far as living expenses and the like.

More likely than not I'll still go to DCOM, anyone had to choose between 2 schools you really liked?

Edit: 1,250 deposit from DCOM

Wow. Congrats on another acceptance at least. I can't imagine being in your shoes, DMU is a good school. In the end I think you have two good choices and no bad choice. Either way you are going to be a physician and get to where you want to be.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the name of the pet friendly ball apartment complex that most students live in. I cannot remember the name but I know its about 10-15 mins away from the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
How true is it that they don't rank their wait list?

Can someone help me convert semester units to credits for the AACOMAS application. I go to McMaster University and our courses have 3 units per semseter (Ex. Bio 1A03). How would I input this as a credit on the application?

Can someone help me convert semester units to credits for the AACOMAS application. I go to McMaster University and our courses have 3 units per semseter (Ex. Bio 1A03). How would I input this as a credit on the application?
I can't be of any assistance. However, every time I called AMCAS or AACOMAS they were quite helpful. I'm sure they could help you out.

I imagine every school has an internal ranking regardless of what they tell you on the phone. It just wouldn't make sense not to.

Here's my understanding. Some schools tank their wait list. They have students numbered 1-100 and as spots become available the pull them off the list in order.

As far as I know, we don't have that. When you get wait listed, your go into the wait list pile with everyone else. Our admissions committee continues to meet (how often, I don't know) and if they have 12 new spots open, they pick 12. The next time they meet, they look at everyone again.

This is why it's so very important here to keep your application updated and to let the school know if your continued interest and such.

Obviously I'm not on the admissions committee, but this is how it's been explained to me.

Here's my understanding. Some schools tank their wait list. They have students numbered 1-100 and as spots become available the pull them off the list in order.

As far as I know, we don't have that. When you get wait listed, your go into the wait list pile with everyone else. Our admissions committee continues to meet (how often, I don't know) and if they have 12 new spots open, they pick 12. The next time they meet, they look at everyone again.

This is why it's so very important here to keep your application updated and to let the school know if your continued interest and such.

Obviously I'm not on the admissions committee, but this is how it's been explained to me.

If that's true. That's HORRIBLY inefficient.

If that's true. That's HORRIBLY inefficient.

I don't think it's "horribly" inefficient. It's just how they decide to do things, they are the committee they can do things how they choose. If you ever become a part of the committee then you can create your own perfect system.

I don't think it's "horribly" inefficient. It's just how they decide to do things, they are the committee they can do things how they choose. If you ever become a part of the committee then you can create your own perfect system.

They say approx half the list gets accepted.
That means they go through the list 50 times vs going through it once and writing down how much they liked each student (ranking them)
50 times takes more time than 1 time. That's why I say it is horribly inefficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
That means they go through the list 50 times vs going through it once and writing down how much they liked each student (ranking them)
50 times takes more time than 1 time. That's why I say it is horribly inefficient.

Maybe each time they go through it, it gives them a different perspective on candidates. There is a lot of information in applicant files, maybe each time they go through it gives the opportunity for something new to stand out, something they are looking for in a candidate.

That's not exactly right because they wouldn't meet each time a spot became available.

None of us know, so let's move on to bigger and better things :)

Maybe each time they go through it, it gives them a different perspective on candidates. There is a lot of information in applicant files, maybe each time they go through it gives the opportunity for something new to stand out, something they are looking for in a candidate.

Oh I'll agree I'm sure they get different insight each time for the first few times. Maybe even a dozen. But 50 times? There is a such thing as over analyzing something. I just think that after the 15th time, they've probably memorized most of the high points on all of the applications and future passes through the pile isn't accomplishing anything.
However, telling us that it isn't ranked achieves one goal: it stops us calling to ask where we are on the rank list.

Reactions: 2 users
Everybody links that site for Ball Apartments, but I just don't see them?
Edit: Are they the Panther drive ones? 1BR only :(?
They have a few condo/town house type things, but the majority are the 1 bedroom.

Everybody links that site for Ball Apartments, but I just don't see them?
Edit: Are they the Panther drive ones? 1BR only :(?

I went with the one of the one bedroom Panther drive ones.

Also, that is surely the most times I've used "one" in a sentence.

I went with the one of the one bedroom Panther drive ones.

Also, that is surely the most times I've used "one" in a sentence.

What do you think of the apartments? I was thinking of driving out from NC before moving there in July , but it'd be great if I could choose a place based on good feedback and not have to make the trip.

I also wish they had photos of the interior parts of the apartments.

Last edited:
What do you think of the apartments? I was thinking of driving out from NC before moving there in July , but it'd be great if I could choose a place based on good feedback and not have to make the trip.

"Went with" As in placed my deposit. I'll let you know how it is July 1st.

Reactions: 1 users

Join the LMU-DCOM Class of 2019 FB page. A current student posted pics of her place. I had also heard they might be full so check in soon!

I think for 2 bedrooms I believe ball is full, the ones that are on dcomdo.com might be available, but they arent updated (as in the apt might be gone) and the ones that are left are pricey imo.

Yeah i drove up and "looked" at the apartments, but only from the outside as no one was there to help on weekends. Ball seems to be the only pet friendly one around. If you dont have any pets, there are other options

The 1 BR Ball apts are pretty basic but clean and nice in my opinion. Nothing luxurious but they felt almost new at least when I lived there. Walls are thin but you get that anywhere. Large bedroom with room for a desk. OK sized kitchen and living room. No dining room. I think when I lived there it was $525 a month but it's probably more by now.

So, I have a few questions I'd love for a current medical student(s) to answer!

1. How much time do you spend on OMM (relative to your other classes) and how hard is it? I really want to spend the vast majority of my time going over histology, anatomy, biochemistry, etc. OMM is the only class in medical school I'm not excited about, but I'm trying to force myself to stay open-minded and positive about it.

2. I recently got a Littman Master Cardiology Stethoscope as a gift for graduating college. I was looking at the Littman Cardiology Classic III because it has the small bell that can be used for pediatrics. However, the master cardiology only has a diaphragm on one side. Is this okay?

3. Dr. Leo sent out an email for bootcamp saying that we could either wear scrubs or regular clothes. Do most people wear scrubs? What do you suggest?

4. What do you suggest for computers? I have one of the old white MacBooks. It runs okay. I can't decide if I should try to use my current computer or if I should upgrade. And if I upgrade, should I get a Mac? Or a convertible type laptop that can be used as a laptop and tablet? That way I could write on power point slides? Or just a big PC laptop? I'm leaning towards a surface pro 3. Also, how big do you suggest the screen be? I know we take tests on our computers, so if I'm going to have to read X-rays or MRIs or something, I'd like to have a decent sized screen. What are the more commonly used computers by students?

Thank you!

The Master Cardiology has an optional pediatric adapter if you want, but I never found it necessary when I was in peds rotation in nursing because you can adjust the pressure (push harder or lighter) and hear different tones without any adapter. It is an excellent stethoscope, I enjoy mine immensely.

1. How much time do you spend on OMM (relative to your other classes) and how hard is it? I really want to spend the vast majority of my time going over histology, anatomy, biochemistry, etc. OMM is the only class in medical school I'm not excited about, but I'm trying to force myself to stay open-minded and positive about it.

2. I recently got a Littman Master Cardiology Stethoscope as a gift for graduating college. I was looking at the Littman Cardiology Classic III because it has the small bell that can be used for pediatrics. However, the master cardiology only has a diaphragm on one side. Is this okay?

3. Dr. Leo sent out an email for bootcamp saying that we could either wear scrubs or regular clothes. Do most people wear scrubs? What do you suggest?

4. What do you suggest for computers? I have one of the old white MacBooks. It runs okay. I can't decide if I should try to use my current computer or if I should upgrade. And if I upgrade, should I get a Mac? Or a convertible type laptop that can be used as a laptop and tablet? That way I could write on power point slides? Or just a big PC laptop? I'm leaning towards a surface pro 3. Also, how big do you suggest the screen be? I know we take tests on our computers, so if I'm going to have to read X-rays or MRIs or something, I'd like to have a decent sized screen. What are the more commonly used computers by students?

Thank you!

I personally am gonna go with a PC (hackintosh) + iPad combo. I've had a crappy Toshiba laptop all thru undergrad, id only replace it with a macbook for functionality. But for the pricing, I'm building my own PC (so I can play games!) And I think the iPad will suffice for portable use. I'm deciding between a standard vs mini though, I like the size of the mini better and I heard its great on rotations. Thoughts?

I personally am gonna go with a PC (hackintosh) + iPad combo. I've had a crappy Toshiba laptop all thru undergrad, id only replace it with a macbook for functionality. But for the pricing, I'm building my own PC (so I can play games!) And I think the iPad will suffice for portable use. I'm deciding between a standard vs mini though, I like the size of the mini better and I heard its great on rotations. Thoughts?

I'm also trying to decide between a gaming laptop and surface pro 3! I like how portable the surface is and that I can write on it...but I kinda want the laptop for gaming, not that I'll have much time for that during classes...

I definitely agree with atleast getting a new computer. After thinking it over, it seems quite silly to me to spend $40,000 + on tuition and then be cheap on the most important tool medical students have. And I think a laptop and an ipad would work well. I''ve heard of a lot of medical students using ipads. I am a bit hesitant about getting a PC though. Its been so nice not having to worry about viruses or malware on my mac.

Thank you!

1) You can spend as much time on OMM as you want. It is very possible to spend little time on it and do well in the class. A lot of people will study a couple of days/night before the test and do fine. There are also people who really like OMM and therefore will spend more time on it.

2) It is fine

3) I did the boot camp 2 years ago and most people wore regular clothes. If we had "lab" in the afternoon you could wear scrubs. I think I just wore my regular clothes.

4) I'm part of the class that that was required to use the school computer. It is a lenovo thinkpad. I really like it because you can write on, which I think is helpful for class notes. I do see first years with all different kinds of computers, so really it is up to you and what you prefer.

1) You can spend as much time on OMM as you want. It is very possible to spend little time on it and do well in the class. A lot of people will study a couple of days/night before the test and do fine. There are also people who really like OMM and therefore will spend more time on it.

2) It is fine

3) I did the boot camp 2 years ago and most people wore regular clothes. If we had "lab" in the afternoon you could wear scrubs. I think I just wore my regular clothes.

4) I'm part of the class that that was required to use the school computer. It is a lenovo thinkpad. I really like it because you can write on, which I think is helpful for class notes. I do see first years with all different kinds of computers, so really it is up to you and what you prefer.
You rock. Thank you!

Hi guys, quick question. I e-mailed Ms. Martin recently and received this as an automatic reply "I am out of the office Monday, May 18th. " Does anyone have a guess if she means "out of the office until the 18th" or if she may have clicked on the wrong Monday on her calendar? Thanks

Hi guys, quick question. I e-mailed Ms. Martin recently and received this as an automatic reply "I am out of the office Monday, May 18th. " Does anyone have a guess if she means "out of the office until the 18th" or if she may have clicked on the wrong Monday on her calendar? Thanks
Considering that the 18th is a week from now, I'd say she means exactly that. She's gone until Monday, May 18.

Considering that the 18th is a week from now, I'd say she means exactly that. She's gone until Monday, May 18.

Perfect. That's what I had assumed but wanted another opinion.

Yeah. I assume that since interviews are don't and the may 15th deadline is a Friday, she is probably enjoying a little well deserved rest before the next headache rolls in on Monday.

So you decided on Dcom?

Yes. After weighing the options, DCOM is a better fit for my family and I. At the end of the day DCOM will allow me a shot at what I want to do, if the choice was my state school an hour away (or Wash U) my choice might be different. But between the two schools, I feel I will be most successful at DCOM.

One big thing for me is DMU does not have block exams, they have exams for each individual class, all the time. Not that I couldn't do this, but I have a toddler, and a new baby on the way in December. DCOM will give me more time with my family (I know not a lot, but any bit more helps). All in all, one particular DO school over another will not provide me a significant outcome difference (eg Hopkins anything vs FM in North Dakota). DCOM is the best option for ME.

Sorry for the novella. There are other factors at play too, but no need to go there. Look forward to meeting you all! DCOM 2019!

Reactions: 4 users