Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with everyone else and agree that AUC is a good school. I am somewhat similar to you. I have a 27, 3.3 sGPA 3.4cGPA. I failed out of school in the 90s. When I went back I have a 3.8s and cGPA. I had a bunch of interviews and was wait listed last year but no love. I was also accepted in the Carribean (SGU). I also have lots of experience 20 years as a paramedic. When I was dropped off wait lists I started to meet with admissions staff and discussed my application. It helped me realize my mistakes and what it would take to increase my chances. In the end SGU let me differ (although I had our second kid and that is why I differed). It's a really tough decision for you. You need to decide whether another round of rejections is ok or can you achieve your goal of being a physician. You can always apply to SGU or some of the other International Schools if AUC doesn't work out either.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, if you are unattached (not married with responsibilities) then AUC may be a good fit for you. Lots of good doctors have gone that rout and have been successful.

The worry now about going that route is that the merger could affect how difficult it will be to get a good residency as an IMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so far from the truth.
Absolutely not in my case. I came from a community college and my classes there were harder than the "prestigious" private college I'm now attending. So, from my personal experience, it is absolutely true.

Ok so Harvard and your state school are the same?
Not sure how so anyone can pretend a local private college is as difficult as a school of Berkeley's caliber haha. When discussing top 40 schools in the nation, it's pretty fair to say that the perceived level of difficulty is more than just class size .... there's a reason the colleges are harder to get into, have better job placement, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure how so anyone can pretend a local private college is as difficult as a school of Berkeley's caliber haha. When discussing top 40 schools in the nation, it's pretty fair to say that the perceived level of difficulty is more than just class size .... there's a reason the colleges are harder to get into, have better job placement, etc.
Not sure why you were trying to get my personal info and you don't even know where I go. Onviously I'm not comfortable giving my exact location to a complete stranger. Also, I didn't claim to go to Harvard. Let's try acting like professionals here.

For what it's worth I went to a Top 75 then transferred to a no name state college for family reasons. The science classes at my no name college were harder but the gen eds were easier.

I was trying to figure out why you would make such a bold statement, therefore I asked where you went to school. I am not trying too figure out who you are, nor do I care. On a side note, I think it's pretty funny that you won't tell me where you went to school, yet you had a picture of yourself as your avatar for the entire world to see. Anyways...

Your statement is absolutely ridiculous. GPA is extremely variable between schools. I went to UCLA for undergrad. UCLA constantly ranks top 3 for sending the most students into medical school. What does this mean? It means that the science courses at the institution are FULL of SMART PRE-MEDS. We did a poll in my neuroanatomy class and out of 250 students, 230 were pre-med! So....not only are these students smart because they are at UCLA, but they are premed, meaning they are ALL trying to get 150% in the class. Then, lets throw in the fact that only 10% of the class will get A's because of the curve that most of the science courses at UCLA have. Your chances for having a stellar GPA are not that high. I once scored a 92% on an o-chem exam (which was super hard) yet because of the curve, I got a B on the exam.

Now lets compare this to a state university. I will compare it to San Diego State because I have talked with friends who go there about their classes. One of my friends I was talking to about biochemistry at UCLA and how hard it was. I worked my butt off and still only got a B. My friend said that her biochem course at SDSU was super basic, and if she had just done the extra credit that they offered, she would have gotten an A+. How is this the same? Me at UCLA knowing a ton about biochemistry/her at SDSU knowing NOTHING about biochemistry, but gets an A. It is not comparable. Yes, you're right. SOME schools may be there same, but saying that ALL COLLEGES ARE THE SAME is not even close to reality.

And your statement about you knowing from personal experience because of your "prestigious" school....prestige doesn't always correlate with academic rigor.

The difference is the competition that you are up against, not the material. The material doesn't change.
Okay I'm not even finishing reading your post because it's ridiculous and long. I'm entitled to an opinion. Stop clogging this thread up with your defensive responses. I'm not the only one with this opinion.

I was trying to figure out why you would make such a bold statement, therefore I asked where you went to school. I am not trying too figure out who you are, nor do I care. On a side note, I think it's pretty funny that you won't tell me where you went to school, yet you had a picture of yourself as your avatar for the entire world to see. Anyways...

Your statement is absolutely ridiculous. GPA is extremely variable between schools. I went to UCLA for undergrad. UCLA constantly ranks top 3 for sending the most students into medical school. What does this mean? It means that the science courses at the institution are FULL of SMART PRE-MEDS. We did a poll in my neuroanatomy class and out of 250 students, 230 were pre-med! So....not only are these students smart because they are at UCLA, but they are premed, meaning they are ALL trying to get 150% in the class. Then, lets throw in the fact that only 10% of the class will get A's because of the curve that most of the science courses at UCLA have. Your chances for having a stellar GPA are not that high. I once scored a 92% on an o-chem exam (which was super hard) yet because of the curve, I got a B on the exam.

Now lets compare this to a state university. I will compare it to San Diego State because I have talked with friends who go there about their classes. One of my friends I was talking to about biochemistry at UCLA and how hard it was. I worked my butt off and still only got a B. My friend said that her biochem course at SDSU was super basic, and if she had just done the extra credit that they offered, she would have gotten an A+. How is this the same? Me at UCLA knowing a ton about biochemistry/her at SDSU knowing NOTHING about biochemistry, but gets an A. It is not comparable. She has a 3.7 sGPA from SDSU and I am sitting at a 3.4 sGPA from UCLA. Yet, when she took her MCAT, she scored 24 and I scored 31. So looking at sGPA's (which reflect how well you did in your science courses) it seems the 3.7 doesn't really show how well she knows the material.

Yes, you're right. SOME schools may be there same, but saying that ALL COLLEGES ARE THE SAME is not even close to reality.

And your statement about you knowing from personal experience because of your "prestigious" school....prestige doesn't always correlate with academic rigor.

The difference is the competition that you are up against, not the material. The material doesn't change.

This argument is very dumb.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Now lets compare this to a state university. I will compare it to San Diego State because I have talked with friends who go there about their classes. One of my friends I was talking to about biochemistry at UCLA and how hard it was. I worked my butt off and still only got a B. My friend said that her biochem course at SDSU was super basic, and if she had just done the extra credit that they offered, she would have gotten an A+. How is this the same? Me at UCLA knowing a ton about biochemistry/her at SDSU knowing NOTHING about biochemistry, but gets an A. It is not comparable. She has a 3.7 sGPA from SDSU and I am sitting at a 3.4 sGPA from UCLA. Yet, when she took her MCAT, she scored 24 and I scored 31. So looking at sGPA's (which reflect how well you did in your science courses) it seems the 3.7 doesn't really show how well she knows the material.

Yes, you're right. SOME schools may be there same, but saying that ALL COLLEGES ARE THE SAME is not even close to reality.

Lol, chill bro.

Reactions: 3 users
Do they let you know if your file is complete or not post secondary?

Do they let you know if your file is complete or not post secondary?

I didn't receive an email, but if you sign in on their site and click the apply online on the right hand side, you can see your status. My status says marked complete as well as the date.

Last edited:
I didn't receive an email, but if you sign in on their site and click the apply online on the right hand side, you can see your status. My status days marked complete as well as the date.
Ah yes, I guess I could have actually gotten it together and figured out it was there! Thanks buddy!

@YeastyMan

1. Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. Have you prepared for this commitment?

2. In your own life, what experiences and/or people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician and what personal qualities do you possess that will help you become a successful osteopathic physician?

@YeastyMan

1. Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. Have you prepared for this commitment?

2. In your own life, what experiences and/or people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician and what personal qualities do you possess that will help you become a successful osteopathic physician?
word limit?

word limit?

There isn't one listed. It just states to write 2 short essays. Basically, use your own judgement to write essays with enough information about yourself without being too wordy.

How many words did people use for the uno prompto? I know that one should be concise, just curious if my conciseness is another man/woman's excess.

Thank you to all who reply.

Hi guys,

First year LMU-DCOM student here, just started and am familiar with the application process, feel free to contact me with questions!!

Hi guys,

First year LMU-DCOM student here, just started and am familiar with the application process, feel free to contact me with questions!!

How is the diversity of this school in terms of ethnicity and OOS students?

How are you liking the city so far?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!

I'm a 2017 student and have been there for the master's program as well. I'm an OOS student and was worried about the lack of diversity. Though the town isn't very diverse at all, the school has a pretty wide range of ethnicities/religions/sexual orientation/etc. There's a lot of muslims, hindus, atheists, LGBT, conservative christians, etc. And lots of OOS -- I know of people in my class from CA (multiple), Florida (multiple), Illinois (lots!), NY (lots), and pretty much wherever else you can think of. Though it's a different demographic than my undergad (way less asian/persian/african americans), it's not homogenous by any means.

I'm a 2017 student and have been there for the master's program as well. I'm an OOS student and was worried about the lack of diversity. Though the town isn't very diverse at all, the school has a pretty wide range of ethnicities/religions/sexual orientation/etc. There's a lot of muslims, hindus, atheists, LGBT, conservative christians, etc. And lots of OOS -- I know of people in my class from CA (multiple), Florida (multiple), Illinois (lots!), NY (lots), and pretty much wherever else you can think of. Though it's a different demographic than my undergad (way less asian/persian/african americans), it's not homogenous by any means.

Thank for your input! I'm coming from Portland Oregon and I just feel like it will bea big transition for me. I have never been to that region before either!

Hey guys! I'm really interested in this school, but I won't take my MCAT until mid-January. After the fall semester, the only class I would have left to take is Biology II. If I beast the MCAT (or at least get average), and manage to get As/Bs in my science classes (very average GPA, 3.0-3.1-ish, but science much higher and if all goes well, should have a 3.6 sGPA by the end of Dec), should I go ahead and apply for the DO school at the end of December when grades come out, and update them on my MCAT when I receive them in Feb?

Or would it be best to wait for the next cycle? I'm planning on applying for their Masters program but if I have a shot in their DO class then... why not! But I'm not sure if it'll be too late to apply for the DO school come Jan/Feb...

Hey guys! I'm really interested in this school, but I won't take my MCAT until mid-January. After the fall semester, the only class I would have left to take is Biology II. If I beast the MCAT (or at least get average), and manage to get As/Bs in my science classes (very average GPA, 3.0-3.1-ish, but science much higher and if all goes well, should have a 3.6 sGPA by the end of Dec), should I go ahead and apply for the DO school at the end of December when grades come out, and update them on my MCAT when I receive them in Feb?

Or would it be best to wait for the next cycle? I'm planning on applying for their Masters program but if I have a shot in their DO class then... why not! But I'm not sure if it'll be too late to apply for the DO school come Jan/Feb...
Before I say this, I want you to know that I'm not a medical student yet. I am a pre med as well, but from what I've learned so far, that seems like a lot of if's. If I were you I would definitely wait until next cycle to apply. It will greatly increase your chances and also give you a chance to increase your GPA because 3.0-3.1 is pretty low for a med school application; however, I'm sure it's been done before.

Does anyone know how to check the status of your application for this school?

Thanks in advance!

I'm loving it here- the area itself is not diverse whatsoever. I came from a pretty big city so it was a big shock, but the school itself is decently diverse...

So what exactly does everyone do for fun? Definitely interested but I'm from the suburbs with the city just a 20 minute drive from me so I'm used to being near the city. I lived in the countryside for quite a bit, then moved to the city, and now in the suburbs. I know what rural life is all about, and even though the scenery is GORGEOUS and absolutely breathtaking, and the quiet, and STARS AT NIGHT, and kdsjfk;; the awesomeness, it's still... boring at times lol. Not really a fan of living directly in the city, but the amount of things to DO is insane compared to the rural side. Though a good group of friends can help ebb the boredom away, and I'm hoping that LMU's "family" reputation will help me open up to people and make new friends. I keep hearing how people in LMU help people out and aren't so competitive and both faculty and students will do anything within their power to help.

That's really means a lot to me. I've emailed countless other schools with questions several times, and will typically get responses (IF I do) days or weeks later. IF I get responses! With LMU, I'll get responses within minutes sometimes, and not just one sentence responses, but detailed responses answering ALL of my questions. How awesome is that?

I have never been to this school before (I live about 4.5 iiiish hours away) but I would love loooove to visit someday. I'm definitely applying for their postbac program and pray that I get in. So long as you have a good group of people, I'm sure even country life ain't so bad (I know, I lived in the country, country, countryside ~). It's not hard meeting new people in LMU, I'm assuming?

And it's not hard to get an A in MGA, given that you work your butt off? Are free tutoring available for people that need it? And can one be a TA for the next incoming class provided that they get good grades? I would love to help others in MGA and other things.

Before I say this, I want you to know that I'm not a medical student yet. I am a pre med as well, but from what I've learned so far, that seems like a lot of if's. If I were you I would definitely wait until next cycle to apply. It will greatly increase your chances and also give you a chance to increase your GPA because 3.0-3.1 is pretty low for a med school application; however, I'm sure it's been done before.
I figured so! That's why I'm going to apply to their postbac program (if I can afford it somehow, I have no idea how THAT's going to work) and apply for DCOM next cycle. Going to up my GPA by taking additional classes and retaking the MCAT if needed.

Congrats on interviews everyone! Make sure to post your stats in the "Official Interview Invite Thread 2014-2015 Cycle" in the Pre-Medical Osteopathic forum so we can keep track of the schools giving out invites!

The latest I would apply would be march. If you take your MCAT in January, you wouldn't get your score for a month. If you had everything ready to go for applying, the earliest your application would be available for review from schools would be mid to late march. DCOM stopped inviting people for interviews mid April. You would be pushing it if you applied this cycle. Rushing things is not always advised, it is expensive to apply and to base your chances on ifs.

The latest I would apply would be march. If you take your MCAT in January, you wouldn't get your score for a month. If you had everything ready to go for applying, the earliest your application would be available for review from schools would be mid to late march. DCOM stopped inviting people for interviews mid April. You would be pushing it if you applied this cycle. Rushing things is not always advised, it is expensive to apply and to base your chances on ifs.
Exactly! That's why I'm applying for the masters program. Rushing to apply for their DO school seems too much (oooh but what if I got a XX in the MCAT, oooh but whatifwhatifwhatif) and to be honest, the application process when not prepared just seems so daunting. Sure, I could save a year if I got accepted, but I could not and even thinking about the primaries, secondaries, interviews, etc. when I still have prereqs and the MCAT to take (for the first time) and applying so late and rushing everything seems stressful at this point. At least the masters program will really prepare me for med school - and when I do apply for DCOM, I'll be 100% ready with added awesomesauce, and then some!

I keep telling myself there's no rush. Med school will still be there, it's not going anywhere.

I received an email saying they had received my secondary app, but not one saying I was complete. It shows that I am complete (all letters received) on the website though. :)
Does any know if DCOM sends complete emails?

I received an email saying they had received my secondary app, but not one saying I was complete. It shows that I am complete (all letters received) on the website though. :)
Thank you. Potentially embarrassing question but where exactly, on the website, do you see the information regarding your letters? All I see is the date that I completed my secondary- no mention of the letters.

Last edited:
Ooops nope now I am embarrassed :smack: It doesn't show they have my letters I was thinking of a different school. However, it does say complete with a check next to it. So I guess now I am wondering if they do in fact have my letters or if I wouldn't be marked "complete" without them..
Thank you. Potentially embarrassing question but where exactly, on the website, do you see the information regarding your letters? All I see is the date that I completed my secondary- no mention of the letters.

Ooops nope now I am embarrassed :smack: It doesn't show they have my letters I was thinking of a different school. However, it does say complete with a check next to it. So I guess now I am wondering if they do in fact have my letters or if I wouldn't be marked "complete" without them..
Haha, it's all good. I was marked complete before I sent my letters in. I think complete, in this instance, is solely in regards to the actual secondary application, though.

Added this school!

Edit: And secondary submitted :xf:

Last edited:
DCOM is killing me with this waiting game!!

Finally got a complete email from them today. I sent everything in 7/29.