Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody on the forum going this Friday? Apparently the first interviews will start Friday according to an earlier post.

I'm going this friday too!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Happy_Student or any of the other medical students could you please enlighten me about my chances (website below). Should I retake MCAT or not?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/is-this-a-good-list-of-schools-retake-mcat.1097804/
Thanks
Hi, I'm a 2nd year med student here at DCOM. No one can really decided if you need to retake the MCAT, but you. The reason I say this, is I had a nearly identical score to yours and obviously I am here. However, that will not be the case for everyone getting that score. Like you, I debated taking the MCAT again, and ended up doing so. It turned out to be a terrible decision and I didn't prepare for it like I had the first one. Again, that may not be the case for everyone, many people have scored better the 2nd time. My point being, that you know or have a pretty good idea if your first score is really what you are capable of. Your score is not a bad score. It's very close to DCOM's average. Your GPA looks very good, and your EC's will definitely help your chances. There's always a risk with retaking the MCAT, for some it's well worth it, for others it's not. In your case, my personal opinion is go with the score you have. But again, it's totally your choice. If you would like to, you can send me a private message and I can give you more details about my scores and what not. Good luck.

This has probably been answered 100 times, but do IIs come via email?
Hey, I'm another med student here at DCOM. I don't know if you guys have already talked about this, but one of the best things you can do is to stay in contact with the school. If you haven't heard from them in a while, sit down and give the admissions office a call, and let them know when you completed the secondary, and ask if they have any additional information to give. A lot of my friends here and I received notification of interview invites while calling in routinely (in other words, they didn't call us to extend an II, it only happened when we called them). Food for thought!

Reactions: 1 user
I also want to second what's been said about the school. Awesome facilities, awesome instructors, leading curriculum, and producing some of the most knowledgeable and field-ready medical students and residents out there. This was my top choice while interviewing and I would recommend it to anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm another med student here at DCOM. I don't know if you guys have already talked about this, but one of the best things you can do is to stay in contact with the school. If you haven't heard from them in a while, sit down and give the admissions office a call, and let them know when you completed the secondary, and ask if they have any additional information to give. A lot of my friends here and I received notification of interview invites while calling in routinely (in other words, they didn't call us to

extend an II, it only happened when we called them). Food for thought!
After how long would you recommend doing this?

This has probably been answered 100 times, but do IIs come via email?

DCOM calls you.

For those of you receiving interview invites; the night before your interview there is a dinner called Meet and Greet. It is NOT mandatory and will NOT effect your chances of getting into LMU-DCOM. However, if you are available and your flight arrives in time, I would highly recommend that you attend. It usually starts at 6:30 and is held at a local restaurant called Gondoliers (it is less than a quarter of a mile away from DCOM). This is an opportunity to sit down with current First and Second years, as well as other interviewing students and ask whatever questions you want about anything you want. If you have silly questions you want to ask, but are too afraid to ask those at your interview, this is your chance to ask. If you want to know what students lives are like during medical school, this is your chance to find out. If you just want to know more about what to expect the next day during your interview, this is where you will find out. So, in short, go!

Reactions: 1 users
Happy_Student or any of the other medical students could you please enlighten me about my chances (website below). Should I retake MCAT or not?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/is-this-a-good-list-of-schools-retake-mcat.1097804/
Thanks

I think you are fine. You certainly have a chance at getting in. As Osasuna said, staying in contact with the school is never a bad choice. The squeaky wheel gets the oil right? However, don't be over bearing or annoying. If you have anything that needs updating in the next two months, it doesn't hurt to call the school and add it to your application, it allows your application to re-surface for another go around. Good luck!

Does DCOM call from an unknown number? And do they leave a message if you don't pick up?

does DCOM send a complete email when all materials are in?

It specifically states on their website to have a DO or MD letter along with either a committee letter OR 2 science professors. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal.

the LOR section doesn't mention if we can send letters via email or only snail mail. does anyone know please?

the LOR section doesn't mention if we can send letters via email or only snail mail. does anyone know please?

If you click the link in the very first spot on this thread, you will find the AACOM CIB page for LMU that gives this info:

Send Letters of Recommendation by:
Virtual Evals: Yes
Interfolio: Yes
Paper: Yes

If you click the link in the very first spot on this thread, you will find the AACOM CIB page for LMU that gives this info:

Send Letters of Recommendation by:
Virtual Evals: Yes
Interfolio: Yes
Paper: Yes

thank you thank you, i overlooked that section!

Hi, I'm a 2nd year med student here at DCOM. No one can really decided if you need to retake the MCAT, but you. The reason I say this, is I had a nearly identical score to yours and obviously I am here. However, that will not be the case for everyone getting that score. Like you, I debated taking the MCAT again, and ended up doing so. It turned out to be a terrible decision and I didn't prepare for it like I had the first one. Again, that may not be the case for everyone, many people have scored better the 2nd time. My point being, that you know or have a pretty good idea if your first score is really what you are capable of. Your score is not a bad score. It's very close to DCOM's average. Your GPA looks very good, and your EC's will definitely help your chances. There's always a risk with retaking the MCAT, for some it's well worth it, for others it's not. In your case, my personal opinion is go with the score you have. But again, it's totally your choice. If you would like to, you can send me a private message and I can give you more details about my scores and what not. Good luck.
What is LMU's average GPA/MCAT?

DCOM calls you.

For those of you receiving interview invites; the night before your interview there is a dinner called Meet and Greet. It is NOT mandatory and will NOT effect your chances of getting into LMU-DCOM. However, if you are available and your flight arrives in time, I would highly recommend that you attend. It usually starts at 6:30 and is held at a local restaurant called Gondoliers (it is less than a quarter of a mile away from DCOM). This is an opportunity to sit down with current First and Second years, as well as other interviewing students and ask whatever questions you want about anything you want. If you have silly questions you want to ask, but are too afraid to ask those at your interview, this is your chance to ask. If you want to know what students lives are like during medical school, this is your chance to find out. If you just want to know more about what to expect the next day during your interview, this is where you will find out. So, in short, go!

Yes, it calmed my nerves a lot and made it less awkward/stressful since I had met the other ppl that were interviewing with me the night before.

Does DCOM call from an unknown number? And do they leave a message if you don't pick up?

They left a message when they called me.

Wow, I was interested in this school but after interviewing today, it has moved to one of my top choices! Here's to some anxious waiting for a week!

Wow, I was interested in this school but after interviewing today, it has moved to one of my top choices! Here's to some anxious waiting for a week!
What did they ask during the interview if you don't mind sharing?

What did they ask during the interview if you don't mind sharing?
Sure. They just asked me why DO and why LMU-DCOM. I talked about myself some and they just asked some follow up questions about me such as my research, my interests, etc. It was super laid-back and conversational. No ethical questions or anything like that. I heard other interviewers asked some other questions including a couple situational/ethical questions, but the general consensus was that it was a very laid-back conversational interview. It is closed file, so they really just want to see if you would be a good fit, able to get along with your classmates, aren't a jerk, would enjoy being in a rural town, those kinds of things. I absolutely loved the school and the people!

Sure. They just asked me why DO and why LMU-DCOM. I talked about myself some and they just asked some follow up questions about me such as my research, my interests, etc. It was super laid-back and conversational. No ethical questions or anything like that. I heard other interviewers asked some other questions including a couple situational/ethical questions, but the general consensus was that it was a very laid-back conversational interview. It is closed file, so they really just want to see if you would be a good fit, able to get along with your classmates, aren't a jerk, would enjoy being in a rural town, those kinds of things. I absolutely loved the school and the people!

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Did they say anything about stats and how long their decision will take. Last year's forum indicate they let you know in like a week. Also how many people were interviewing when you were there

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Did they say anything about stats and how long their decision will take. Last year's forum indicate they let you know in like a week. Also how many people were interviewing when you were there
They didn't mention anything about stats. But they did say that the admissions committee was meeting next Wednesday and would let the people who interviewed today and next Monday know either next Thursday or Friday. There were 8 or 9 of us I believe.

Thanks, I can't wait to interview there. It's my top choice as well. Best of luck!

It was strange seeing people walking around in suits considering so many of us were in that position only a few months ago.

Sorry if you didn't get a lot of feedback from the 1st years, we have a pretty significant exam on Monday and today was a review day.

What did y'all think of the facilities? I was scrubbed up in the Anatomy lab when the tour came through.

does dcom tell the interviewee who the interviewers are? in general, can someone comment on their interview?

thanks

does dcom tell the interviewee who the interviewers are? in general, can someone comment on their interview?

thanks

No, you will most likely not know who will be interviewing you until you have shaken their hand. You can however look up all of the faculty on the LMU-DCOM website. They will be the ones interviewing you. In the past it has been two interviewers per interviewee, but I think I noticed that the first interview this year they only had one interviewer per interviewee.

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/faculty/

thanks

No but they're all nice! So don't worry! I interviewed 2x here and I had a great time both times. Just relax and be yourself.

thanks

In my interview, two years ago, your whole interview group meets at the beginning of the day in one conference room. At each seat was a folder full of information, among that information is a paper with the times of the interviews and who the interviewers were. So you can find out who are your interviewers at the very beginning of the day. I don't know if that is how they still do it.

In my interview, two years ago, your whole interview group meets at the beginning of the day in one conference room. At each seat was a folder full of information, among that information is a paper with the times of the interviews and who the interviewers were. So you can find out who are your interviewers at the very beginning of the day. I don't know if that is how they still do it.
Yep this is still how they do it, just interviewed last Friday!

I want an interview here so badddd ! Please show me some love :)

I want an interview here so badddd ! Please show me some love :)

OMG, not long after this post.... LMU-DCOM has just called me to invite for the interview. LOVE IT !!! Scheduled for 10/10 interview. This made my day woohooo !

Reactions: 5 users
I want an interview here too soo badddddddddddddddd! :)))

Reactions: 2 users
I was complete on September 12. When/if should I expect an II?

Stats: 3.6 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 33 MCAT