Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone i am making my final decision as to what i want to pursue as my career. I have a few questions regarding admissions to LMU-DCOM. some may or may not be pointless. I checked out the pre requisites for the school and was wondering if those who applied to the DO program completed? Basically what I am asking is the list of requirements as far as classes, if a BS in Biology is needed for entrance, etc. I do know the MCAT and letters of recommendation and experience in medical volunteer is HIGHLY recommended. I am just curious on what other classes I would have to take to be eligible for admission. I have completed bio 1+2, English, psychology courses, and currently taking organic chem courses this summer. I saw that inorganic chem is required but im assuming I would have to go to another school to take them since they do not have them here in my current school. I have a 3.3 GPA, and plan on joining several medical related ECs this following year. I am also taking extra science courses to boost my GPA. ANY KIND OF FEEDBACK AND RECOMMENDATION(S) WILL BE GREAT. THANKS

Hey everyone i am making my final decision as to what i want to pursue as my career. I have a few questions regarding admissions to LMU-DCOM. some may or may not be pointless. I checked out the pre requisites for the school and was wondering if those who applied to the DO program completed? Basically what I am asking is the list of requirements as far as classes, if a BS in Biology is needed for entrance, etc. I do know the MCAT and letters of recommendation and experience in medical volunteer is HIGHLY recommended. I am just curious on what other classes I would have to take to be eligible for admission. I have completed bio 1+2, English, psychology courses, and currently taking organic chem courses this summer. I saw that inorganic chem is required but im assuming I would have to go to another school to take them since they do not have them here in my current school. I have a 3.3 GPA, and plan on joining several medical related ECs this following year. I am also taking extra science courses to boost my GPA. ANY KIND OF FEEDBACK AND RECOMMENDATION(S) WILL BE GREAT. THANKS

Without prereqs you won't get in. Also. Your school has inorganic chem. Trust me on this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just notified about that. I have another question. would you happen to have a gpa/mcat criteria you can fill me in on to know what are my chances of applying? I have checked out averages based on statistics but they lack in precision and I assume you would have a better understanding of what is needed. thank you!!!

I was just notified about that. I have another question. would you happen to have a gpa/mcat criteria you can fill me in on to know what are my chances of applying? I have checked out averages based on statistics but they lack in precision and I assume you would have a better understanding of what is needed. thank you!!!

It isn't precise. It's all over the place. Some people with lower GPAs and higher MCAT and vice versa. I'd advise calling the school telling them your numbers and seeing what they say. They'll have lots of advice for you, they did for me.

I know this is frustrating to hear. You want to hear an absolute number; I did too. Unfortunately that doesn't exist.

Also. Have you taken the MCAT yet?

Number 1 school right here!

To the people who applied last year, how long were your secondary essays?

I am starting the graduate program at LMU next year and am currently looking for somewhere to live. I was hoping someone could help me learn about the areas off campus that most people live and also where I shouldn't try to live. Any feedback will be greatly appreaciated

I'm not sure there are really any areas that are bad. If you join the Facebook group there are people posting daily of houses they are moving out of/other properties their landlords have, etc. that's really one of the only resources for Harrogate because it's so far away from everything there's no craigslist or anything like that.

Number 1 school right here!

To the people who applied last year, how long were your secondary essays?

Will be attending in a few months. Think quality over quantity. You don't want them to have to read an short novel. Keep it on topic and lengthy enough to say everything you need

Application submitted...good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Do they send us an Email with the secondary prompt? I found the secondary on their website, do we fill it out and mail it to them? How does this work?

Do they send us an Email with the secondary prompt? I found the secondary on their website, do we fill it out and mail it to them? How does this work?

If it's the same as last year, you have to fill out the secondary yourself. They won't send you an e-mail about it. To fill it out, you'll make an account and once filled out, you can submit it.

Secondary Submitted
Prompts
In your own life, what experiences and/or people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician and what personal qualities do you possess that will help you become a successful osteopathic physician?

Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. Have you prepared for this commitment?

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary Submitted
Prompts
In your own life, what experiences and/or people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician and what personal qualities do you possess that will help you become a successful osteopathic physician?

Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. Have you prepared for this commitment?

Thanks for posting. When were you complete?

I was completed June 5ish, but with the secondary, you just go to the site and fill it out
At least I hope thats how it goes as thats what I did.

I'm having some issues with paying the application. My payments never seem to go through- that is, I submit my payment and I wait and wait until I get an error and I have to exit. Is it an internet browser thing or is there something else?

I had that problem too, I posted that I submitted before the payment went through and it never did despite multuple tries, but its finished otheriwse. I figured I'll try monday and if that doesnt work, I'll call unless someone knows how to get past the error.

I was completed June 5ish, but with the secondary, you just go to the site and fill it out
At least I hope thats how it goes as thats what I did.

do you know what the word limit is for both the essays? thx

Could be the case, I could have sworn some people said they submitted it already in another thread though.

I'm having some issues with paying the application. My payments never seem to go through- that is, I submit my payment and I wait and wait until I get an error and I have to exit. Is it an internet browser thing or is there something else?

I had that problem too, I posted that I submitted before the payment went through and it never did despite multuple tries, but its finished otheriwse. I figured I'll try monday and if that doesnt work, I'll call unless someone knows how to get past the error.

Had same problem, will try monday.

For previous applicants: What length do you think would be appropriate for the secondary prompts? I'm assuming around a half page or 500 words as that is what some other school's have placed for limits.

For previous applicants: What length do you think would be appropriate for the secondary prompts? I'm assuming around a half page or 500 words as that is what some other school's have placed for limits.
I think mine for LMU were actually a bit longer. Just as long as you aren't writing a 1.5 page response I'll think that you'll be ok. Articulation, desire, and succinctness is the name of the game.

Good luck, Holmes!

Just rechecked LMU's page and it shows the payments went through and that my secondary was complete. I also noticed it charged my card multiple times because I thought it was an error so I tried with a different card multiple times. Either way, I'm glad its done because it seems like a great school.

Just rechecked LMU's page and it shows the payments went through and that my secondary was complete. I also noticed it charged my card multiple times because I thought it was an error so I tried with a different card multiple times. Either way, I'm glad its done because it seems like a great school.
Same here, however the second charge is pending so that might go away.

Anyone use the fee waiver code to submit the secondary? Whenever I input "AACOMAS2015" for the promo code, I get a invalid code message.

I'm going to be a Master's student here this upcoming year - it's an absolutely gorgeous campus!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I'm a 4th year just dropping in to wish everyone good luck! Feel free to ask me questions that you may have as well. It may take a little bit to get back due to Step 2 studying but I'll do my best!

Hey Everyone!
Good luck to everyone applying this semester :)
I submitted my secondary over the weekend. After much browsing and perusing for the last 2-4 months, DCOM has become one of my top choices. I would even venture out to say it has become my first choice.
Hopefully I get some love from them for applying early (Good GPA, mediocre MCAT, lots of shadowing, non-trad student). Crossing my fingers.

Secondary submitted today.

Curious to hear what people wrote on the second essay. I just said I understand med school requires sacrifice to be successful and becoming a DO is my number one priority etc. Didn't know what else to write.

Secondary submitted today.

Curious to hear what people wrote on the second essay. I just said I understand med school requires sacrifice to be successful and becoming a DO is my number one priority etc. Didn't know what else to write.

I wrote about how my life experiences prepped me for the challenges of med school with the having to work 70-80 hours a week to support my family while attending college full time. I think they just want to get an idea that you know what you're getting yourself into and you're not going to be suddenly surprised by the firehose of information you're going to be expected to learn.

Reactions: 2 users
I wrote about how my life experiences prepped me for the challenges of med school with the having to work 70-80 hours a week to support my family while attending college full time. I think they just want to get an idea that you know what you're getting yourself into and you're not going to be suddenly surprised by the firehose of information you're going to be expected to learn.

^This
I gave some examples of time management skills that I've picked up and some personal experiences where I used said skills.

Just a heads up in case anyone needs to contact the admissions office. They will most likely be closed on Friday, July 3rd due to the 4th of July being on a Saturday this year. I spoke to Student Services today and was told that they would be out of the office Friday, so I'm assuming that admissions will also be out as well.

For "date requested" for the LOR...do we put when we received the LOR/when it was written. Or do we put when AACOMAS put it online?

Should I submit this supplemental application while waiting for my AACOMAS primary to get verified, OR should I at least wait till they send me a "primary received email" first?

Hey guys! I'm a 4th year just dropping in to wish everyone good luck! Feel free to ask me questions that you may have as well. It may take a little bit to get back due to Step 2 studying but I'll do my best!

Do you happen to know much about average incoming stats lately? This school is my number one choice but I'm a little concerned about a low GPA.

I have a 3.39/3.1 GPA/sGPA with C's in Orgo II and biochem. I just got my MCAT scores back, and received a 507 (~=30). Strong ECs (I think!)

I've lived my whole life in TN and this seems like a great school. Thanks!

Do you happen to know much about average incoming stats lately? This school is my number one choice but I'm a little concerned about a low GPA.

I have a 3.39/3.1 GPA/sGPA with C's in Orgo II and biochem. I just got my MCAT scores back, and received a 507 (~=30). Strong ECs (I think!)

I've lived my whole life in TN and this seems like a great school. Thanks!

A guy on SDN just got accepted into the school with a MCAT of 22. Dont sweat it. Just sell yourself like a champ. Show them you got the dance moves :zip:

A guy on SDN just got accepted into the school with a MCAT of 22. Dont sweat it. Just sell yourself like a champ. Show them you got the dance moves :zip:

He was on the wait list since January however. Be aware that you can wait until that long before you hear.

Hey all! For those of you who have filled out the secondary or are in the process can you tell me if you see a yes and no box in the disciplinary action section. The only option I see on my computer is to click yes. There isn't a no box.

hope this makes sense! thank you!

Hey all! For those of you who have filled out the secondary or are in the process can you tell me if you see a yes and no box in the disciplinary action section. The only option I see on my computer is to click yes. There isn't a no box.

hope this makes sense! thank you!

I had the same thing. I just didn't click any of them and then clicked save. It still allowed me to submit my application at the end.

Hey guys, how long the "short "essays should be? My first one is around 650 and second one 450. I am afraid that's way too long and they wont read it.