Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i have no idea
i enjoyed it alot i just have no idea how i did
were you early or later?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the second group, how about you

Did you guys see the mess spilling out of the OMT lab in the afternoon?

Members don't see this ad :)
i have no idea
i enjoyed it alot i just have no idea how i did
were you early or later?
I also felt the same way..definitely enjoyed the day a lot!! Here's to getting an acceptance call on Friday, hopefully! I really wanna go here..this week will be torturous

Reactions: 1 user
I also felt the same way..definitely enjoyed the day a lot!! Here's to getting an acceptance call on Friday, hopefully! I really wanna go here..this week will be torturous

I believe the admissions committee meets early this new week; from what others have told me calls may even start going out as early as Wednesday or Thursday

I believe the admissions committee meets early this new week; from what others have told me calls may even start going out as early as Wednesday or Thursday

That happens sometimes, but I'd hate to get people staring down their cell phones that early when it's usually Friday and has been as last as sat/sun this cycle.
Although I think it's a lighter week for the administration, so maybe it will be early. :)

That happens sometimes, but I'd hate to get people staring down their cell phones that early when it's usually Friday and has been as last as sat/sun this cycle.
Although I think it's a lighter week for the administration, so maybe it will be early. :)

no white coat this week, so that might help speed it up a bit too. Here is to hoping for good news. Def. my top choice!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed earlier but does every interview group have that driver guy who lingers around?

Anybody else interviewing this Friday (10/9)?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed earlier but does every interview group have that driver guy who lingers around?
I got to talk with Bob at lunch, really cool guy; i wont talk about him in detail on the internetz, but he really is interesting and has lots of good stories to tell (and information about the school and area!)

Im staying at the sleep inn. I want to go to the meet in greet but I have to wait until 730pm when I get off work to leave. So I wont be in town until like 1 or 2am :(

Last edited:
anatomy labs are some afternoons. means potentially awkward tour groups for the 2nd group who tours the anatomy lab while there are like 120 students in there staring at you ;) morning group may not be a bad deal lol

received the "file is complete, will be reviewed by Admissions soon" email, secondary submitted 4 weeks ago

Anybody else interviewing in the afternoon on the 16th?

How quickly does this school give you an answer after your interview?

Just saw that we're getting a new dean as of January! Dr. Kessler looks awesome! :)

Just saw that we're getting a new dean as of January! Dr. Kessler looks awesome! :)
how come? I feel like that is a sign of not good things happening so they are being replaced.

Can any current students or anyone who knows more about the new dean comment on how this will affect the school?

Dean Stowers announced his retirement late last year so the school has been searching ever since -definitely not an abrupt announcement. The school welcomes a new dean and a novel perspective with open arms :)

Reactions: 5 users
how come? I feel like that is a sign of not good things happening so they are being replaced.

Dr. Weiting was just an interim dean from my understanding. This means they've finally found a new dean to replace Dr. Stowers after he retired.

to those who got accepted 9/18 and before, when did you get any instructions on how to put down a deposit. i was accepted after the 9/18 interview but have received nothing since, except for an acceptance letter via snail mail

With that acceptance snail mail you should have received two other pieces. One with an agreement you have to sign, and another with instructions on sending in the deposit.

Dr. Stowers was so very ready to retire. He was done with his career and did a fantastic job setting up a wonderfully paved road to success. Dr. Weiting will still be an important part of te DCOM family and still be able to offer his years of experience. A new dean is a good thing, not a bad thing and certainly not a sign of "not good things happening". New blood mean new perspective and energy. Teaching medicine is a very tiring feat. An example of good change, Dr. Weston was hired as the new OPP director last year, he came in and has really done a lot to make the OMT curriculum stronger. His perspective, mindset and methods of teaching helped me out a ton on step 1 for OMT material.

Reactions: 2 users
Dr. Stowers was so very ready to retire. He was done with his career and did a fantastic job setting up a wonderfully paved road to success. Dr. Weiting will still be an important part of te DCOM family and still be able to offer his years of experience. A new dean is a good thing, not a bad thing and certainly not a sign of "not good things happening". New blood mean new perspective and energy. Teaching medicine is a very tiring feat. An example of good change, Dr. Weston was hired as the new OPP director last year, he came in and has really done a lot to make the OMT curriculum stronger. His perspective, mindset and methods of teaching helped me out a ton on step 1 for OMT material.
This could be different however, in my experience whenever things like this happen its because the person was performing very poorly. At my job whenever a manager was fired/replaced and customers asked, they were always told a really nice PR answer that had nothing to do with the real reason. We are those customers in this case. At my university, same with the past 2 presidents, the public was told the president was retiring for one thing, it turns out it was another very serious personal reason based on their decision making. The next conveniently had "announced" his retirement a year before (there was no announcement) everything went down hill at the school and hit national and local news for several scandals and such. The timing was too convenient for him to have been 'planning' to step down this whole time when there was no announcement.

Im not saying what you are saying is untrue, its just in my case this has never been the case.

to those who got accepted 9/18 and before, when did you get any instructions on how to put down a deposit. i was accepted after the 9/18 interview but have received nothing since, except for an acceptance letter via snail mail
My acceptance letter had another piece of paper in it with instructions about the deposit. If that wasn't in-depth enough, I believe you have to contact admissions. I know once you send that in they will send you more information about how to submit all the other information like the background test, vaccination, drug test , etc stuff.

This could be different however, in my experience whenever things like this happen its because the person was performing very poorly. At my job whenever a manager was fired/replaced and customers asked, they were always told a really nice PR answer that had nothing to do with the real reason. We are those customers in this case. At my university, same with the past 2 presidents, the public was told the president was retiring for one thing, it turns out it was another very serious personal reason based on their decision making. The next conveniently had "announced" his retirement a year before (there was no announcement) everything went down hill at the school and hit national and local news for several scandals and such. The timing was too convenient for him to have been 'planning' to step down this whole time when there was no announcement.

Im not saying what you are saying is untrue, its just in my case this has never been the case.
Dr. Weiting has always introduced himself as an interim-dean, he was never the second dean to begin with I believe. This is more like they finally found the new dean then replacing another one, if that makes sense.

The fact that all of the current students posting here do NOT see this as a bad thing should hopefully help you see that this isn't a problem.

I understand that you feel your past life experience should translate to this, but our experience of being here through all of this gives us better insight into this particular situation.

Reactions: 2 users
The fact that all of the current students posting here do NOT see this as a bad thing should hopefully help you see that this isn't a problem.

I understand that you feel your past life experience should translate to this, but our experience of being here through all of this gives us better insight into this particular situation.
You're missing the point. How do you know you've been told the correct info?

Does anyone know how many, if any, students had nowhere to go after the match/scrambling in 2013, 2014 and/or 2015?
I'm pretty set on this school and this is about the last leaf to turn over before sending my deposit.

Does anyone know how many, if any, students had nowhere to go after the match/scrambling in 2013, 2014 and/or 2015?
I'm pretty set on this school and this is about the last leaf to turn over before sending my deposit.

Please don't let something like that deter you from any school. Matching is pretty much up to the student. Every school, MD or DO will have students that don't match or make the scramble. I will add that I'm just a first year, but I have absolutely zero reason to believe that attending this school will be the reason why I do go where I want to in life.

Reactions: 3 users
Please don't let something like that deter you from any school. Matching is pretty much up to the student. Every school, MD or DO will have students that don't match or make the scramble. I will add that I'm just a first year, but I have absolutely zero reason to believe that attending this school will be the reason why I do go where I want to in life.

This.
Most people who don't Match made the mistake of picking the wrong programs and specialties. If you are a below average student and want Ortho and have Optho as your back up? Good luck scrambling!
Look at your application and honestly ask yourself, if I were a PD, would I rank this student for this program/specialty?

How many people go unmatched exactly? I feel that if your smart enough to get into a US medical school you would at least be doing everything you can to match. I already put in a deposit and now im a bit anxious as well.

How many people go unmatched exactly? I feel that if your smart enough to get into a US medical school you would at least be doing everything you can to match. I already put in a deposit and now im a bit anxious as well.

We have a great record of matching. Unfortunately there's no official ranking body of medical schools so there's no "official" list, but I have been told by several people that we rank in the top 3-5 DO schools for students getting their #1 spot every year since our first graduating class. I do think last year was a rough year for our students because of what was mentioned above (people going for difficult fields). Where you match is more about you than your school. You have to put in the effort on your board scores and clinical rotations (and year 1-2 exams but to a lesser extent).

We have a great record of matching. Unfortunately there's no official ranking body of medical schools so there's no "official" list, but I have been told by several people that we rank in the top 3-5 DO schools for students getting their #1 spot every year since our first graduating class. I do think last year was a rough year for our students because of what was mentioned above (people going for difficult fields). Where you match is more about you than your school. You have to put in the effort on your board scores and clinical rotations (and year 1-2 exams but to a lesser extent).
I feel like they told us percentages at the interview but I can't remember! I think close to 100% of the students who applied for residency matched with close to half getting their top choice. I might be TOTALLY wrong though. I'm at work right now, but I'll look through my folders when I get home.

Just checked in at the hotel! Interview in the morning whoop!

Reactions: 6 users
My acceptance letter had another piece of paper in it with instructions about the deposit. If that wasn't in-depth enough, I believe you have to contact admissions. I know once you send that in they will send you more information about how to submit all the other information like the background test, vaccination, drug test , etc stuff.

They haven't actually sent this info (about background test/vaccinations/etc) yet right?

is there a Facebook page for the class of 2020??