Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone wants to be a physician but ain't no one wanna go to medical school hehe. I kid.....maybe

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The degree is the first of its kind but not a surprise. The evolution of heathcare has forced NPs to get a DNP and many advocates of the PA profession are wanting to introduce a doctorate degree to keep a competitive edge and gain more respect and attention. Much like DNPs, I don't believe that PAs with a DMS degree will be afforded the privilege of introducing themselves as "Dr." in a clinical setting.
I could be wrong, but I heard this does happen (I even think there's an sdn story where a psych DNP led patients to call her a psychiatrist).

Reactions: 1 user
I could be wrong, but I heard this does happen (I even think there's an sdn story where a psych DNP led patients to call her a psychiatrist).
I am sure that it does happen. I just know there is proposed legislation by physicians to prohibit non-DOs and MDs from introducing themselves as "Dr." unless they identify their profession (i.e. Hello, I am Dr. Doe and I will be your nurse practitioner.) In some states, like Arizona and Delaware, this is already the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like doctoral degrees is a way to convince patients of equal training for those mid level providers wanting to push their scope, welcomed by many in healthcare reimbursing less. Again I'm confused on what the semi online DMS offers practicing PAs other than additional knowledge. I can only imagine what the tuition is...

Are they any current students or recent interviewees who could PM some advice for the interview? I'm very excited for this interview but I know it's closed file and I'm wondering how this is going to go..

Are they any current students or recent interviewees who could PM some advice for the interview? I'm very excited for this interview but I know it's closed file and I'm wondering how this is going to go..

The interviews are very relaxed. I have heard of one case where the interviewer was a little tough on the interviewee. Just be yourself, don't try to make up some cookie cutter answer. Expect these types of questions: why LMU-DCOM? Why DO? Why physician?

Interviews are usually 30 min, mine ran overtime, about 45 min, because we ended up talking about Texas bbq and the lack of good Mexican food in the harrogate area.

It's hard to do, I know, but just don't stress and be honest.

The interviews are very relaxed. I have heard of one case where the interviewer was a little tough on the interviewee. Just be yourself, don't try to make up some cookie cutter answer. Expect these types of questions: why LMU-DCOM? Why DO? Why physician?

Interviews are usually 30 min, mine ran overtime, about 45 min, because we ended up talking about Texas bbq and the lack of good Mexican food in the harrogate area.

My first question, right out of the gate, was "Who has the best BBQ in Texas?"

Thanks for the quick reply! Are you from the area?

I'd expect those questions from just about every school! Where are the follow up questions drawn from? My responses to their initial questions? Are they determining/examine interpersonal skills and fit during the interview or is there more to it?

Lastly, do you know what the interview-acceptance ratio? I really appreciate the help.

I'd expect those questions from just about every school! Where are the follow up questions drawn from? My responses to their initial questions? Are they determining/examine interpersonal skills and fit during the interview or is there more to it?

Lastly, do you know what the interview-acceptance ratio? I really appreciate the help.

Don't stress over the interview at all! Everyone I met at DCOM were super nice and it was the most relaxed interview you could ever ask for. The conversation really is what you make of it so my interview experience (and many others) could be a variety of different things. I wasn't even asked the cliche "why DO, why medicine, why DCOM" questions I prepped for. I just described myself to start out with and then based on that the conversation just went in whatever direction I wished. For some it's about BBQ, for me it was fun non-medical things I was doing during my gap year, and so on. My recommendation is just be yourself (surprise surprise) and instead of stressing in your hotel room the day or night before, go out and check out the beautiful area and campus. Good luck!

Don't stress over the interview at all! Everyone I met at DCOM were super nice and it was the most relaxed interview you could ever ask for. The conversation really is what you make of it so my interview experience (and many others) could be a variety of different things. I wasn't even asked the cliche "why DO, why medicine, why DCOM" questions I prepped for. I just described myself to start out with and then based on that the conversation just went in whatever direction I wished. For some it's about BBQ, for me it was fun non-medical things I was doing during my gap year, and so on. My recommendation is just be yourself (surprise surprise) and instead of stressing in your hotel room the day or night before, go out and check out the beautiful area and campus. Good luck!

First year here. I was going to type out this whole long message, but the user above just nailed it. I really can't think of anything to add. It is a very conversational interview - they literally, just want to get to know you.

Ps. Just be sure not to give a single, yes or no answer, add some words lol.

Follow up questions usually just feed off of you. If you mention some clinic in Uganda that you helped whittle new prosthetics so that kids with one leg can walk normally again, that'll be the the direction the conversation goes. Just like others have said, it's just a conversation, sometimes you ask the interviewer a question and they'll ramble on for 10 minutes. They want to make sure you're human and that you can relate to others. There's really not much more to it than that.

I don't know the ratios. I think most everyone got accepted from my interview day but I'm sure it varies for other interview days.

First year here. I was going to type out this whole long message, but the user above just nailed it. I really can't think of anything to add. It is a very conversational interview - they literally, just want to get to know you.

Ps. Just be sure not to give a single, yes or no answer, add some words lol.

Follow up questions usually just feed off of you. If you mention some clinic in Uganda that you helped whittle new prosthetics so that kids with one leg can walk normally again, that'll be the the direction the conversation goes. Just like others have said, it's just a conversation, sometimes you ask the interviewer a question and they'll ramble on for 10 minutes. They want to make sure you're human and that you can relate to others. There's really not much more to it than that.

I don't know the ratios. I think most everyone got accepted from my interview day but I'm sure it varies for other interview days.

Thank you for all the help guys! I'll be taking all this advice to heart. I'm getting really excited for this Friday! I'm sure I'm going to have more questions, but for now thank you again guys.

LMU was by far the most lax interview I had. They really do want to get to know you and my interviewers were quirky which resonated with my personality. The most serious question they asked me was : "Let's say we accept you, you are failing, what are you going to do?". You will be fine. Just relax and let the real you shine.

Members don't see this ad :)
So just a heads up. We had a storm come in early this morning and ended up with a couple of inches of snow. And it's still snowing, lol. Classes and offices are closed for the day. So if you sent someone an email and they don't reply today, it's because of the snow.

So just a heads up. We had a storm come in early this morning and ended up with a couple of inches of snow. And it's still snowing, lol. Classes and offices are closed for the day. So if you sent someone an email and they don't reply today, it's because of the snow.
Damn... I was hoping adcoms would review our files today

I'm not sure if anyone has a real answer for this, but awhile back I was placed on hold and recently sent an update letter, along with my official new transcript through AACOMAS. I just sent my letter to the admissions email, but I didn't get any sort of response.

Is it safe to say they added it to my file, or is there somewhere else I should send it?

Thanks!

Lol I know of a nurse anesthetist student at my workplace that was posing as an anesthesiologist on dating websites. I def called him out on it.

Reactions: 2 users
Dr. is ambiguous and used in many different contexts, but telling patients you're a psychiatrist or anesthesiologist when you're not is (or should be) criminal.

Reactions: 2 users
Dr. is ambiguous and used in many different contexts, but telling patients you're a psychiatrist or anesthesiologist when you're not is (or should be) criminal.
Agreed. I do not like this new degree. A doctor in my eyes is one of two things. A person who has completed a rigid science/law program, with publications, and the ability to be a standalone researcher, or someone who graduates medical school and passes board certification. Anything else does not qualify you as a doctor of the subject.

Ehh, lying about your profession is immoral but calling it criminal is kinda harsh (unless someone actually got hurt from the lie).

Update, school is closed for tomorrow. In case you were wondering, us students are fine. The school will try to have the professors come and record a lecture and then put it on mediasite for us to watch or they will upload last years lecture. For the moment, they've uploaded last years lectures and this years powerpoints as well. Us first years are thanking our lucky stars that the storm hit this morning instead of yesterday when we had our first exam for the semester.

Update, school is closed for tomorrow. In case you were wondering, us students are fine. The school will try to have the professors come and record a lecture and then put it on mediasite for us to watch or they will upload last years lecture. For the moment, they've uploaded last years lectures and this years powerpoints as well. Us first years are thanking our lucky stars that the storm hit this morning instead of yesterday when we had our first exam for the semester.
What about the adcom? Will they meet tomorrow?

What about the adcom? Will they meet tomorrow?

I would be shocked if they went up to the school. Trust me, I know how badly you want them to review your files, but this is about safety. While the county roads in front of the school get plowed and salted and as long as you are careful, are safe to drive on. The school does things a little different. They don't salt the roads, they use tractors to plow them.

It got so bad during snowpocalypse last year, that they were interviewing students at the hotels they were staying at.

I would be shocked if they went up to the school. Trust me, I know how badly you want them to review your files, but this is about safety. While the county roads in front of the school get plowed and salted and as long as you are careful, are safe to drive on. The school does things a little different. They don't salt the roads, they use tractors to plow them.

It got so bad during snowpocalypse last year, that they were interviewing students at the hotels they were staying at.
I see... I guess I will have to be patient, a wise man once said patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Last edited:

I hope history doesn't repeat itself. That sounds awful for everyone.

Can any locals comment on the road conditions today driving in via 58west? Are roads clear enough for a 2wd compact to get around on?

does anyone know how many applications LMU received this year and how many interviews they will give out ?

does anyone know how many applications LMU received this year and how many interviews they will give out ?
Nothing is definitive as the interview cycle has not ended, but extrapolating from the c/o 2019 data, there will be ~5800 applications and ~600 interviews conducted for a matriculating class of 225 students.

Also, has anyone emailed the admissions committee to see if they have met yet ? Im assuming the phone calls on friday is no longer a thing due to the snow.

Nothing is definitive as the interview cycle has not ended, but extrapolating from the c/o 2019 data, there will be ~5800 applications and ~600 interviews conducted for a matriculating class of 225 students.

Is it 225? Current oms1-2 classes are larger than that.

Are we supposed to rsvp for the meet and greet tonight?

Yes, they are approved for 225 seats, however they are allowed to accept ~10% more to allow for attrition.

Huh. The school gave us a different number at the Dean's hour the other week.

Hi guys! Care to guess what I'm about to post? And then this time, offices are 100% closed too. Meaning the professors can't hold office hours - where students come by their office and ask for help on certain topics.

Hi guys! Care to guess what I'm about to post? And then this time, offices are 100% closed too. Meaning the professors can't hold office hours - where students come by their office and ask for help on certain topics.

I heard the office hours were being held at your place trs88.

Anyone has a clue when the school get reopened?

Nothing has been e-mailed to us yet. This week, we have received daily notifications around 6am on whether or not the school is closed. Going by weather.com only, it looks like the storm should settle down by Sunday. But the days afterwards....it's hard to say. During the day, things warm up but at night it gets back down below 32 degrees. Meaning, I have no clue what that will mean for the school roads.

To answer your question more directly, don't know. Sorry.

Nothing has been e-mailed to us yet. This week, we have received daily notifications around 6am on whether or not the school is closed. Going by weather.com only, it looks like the storm should settle down by Sunday. But the days afterwards....it's hard to say. During the day, things warm up but at night it gets back down below 32 degrees. Meaning, I have no clue what that will mean for the school roads.

To answer your question more directly, don't know. Sorry.

Okay, Thanks anyways :)

Hello all! For those of you who have been lucky enough to get an acceptance or interview (CONGRATS FIRST OF ALL!:) how long was the turn around time from completed application to hearing about interviews? They told me to contact them in a couple of weeks, but with the snow storm i figured I would wait 2.5 weeks lol.
Just wondering! Thank you in advance!!

Hello all! For those of you who have been lucky enough to get an acceptance or interview (CONGRATS FIRST OF ALL!:) how long was the turn around time from completed application to hearing about interviews? They told me to contact them in a couple of weeks, but with the snow storm i figured I would wait 2.5 weeks lol.
Just wondering! Thank you in advance!!
hey , I was complete on Dec 7th and I got a phone call for an interview on January 19th. However, they did not conduct the interview on the 20th due to the snow storm. So basically, it will take 6 weeks until they call you up for an interview but since there is snow storm everything will be behind a little.

Just got the call from the DEAN. I got in. I'm Crying.

Reactions: 9 users