Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the secondary, they ask for 3 letter writer, but on AACOMAS, we can have up to 6. Do you know if they look at more than 3?

If all you have is 3, that is fine. If you have more, it never hurts to include them, whether or not they read them, you included them so they can if they want.

Members don't see this ad.

If all you have is 3, that is fine. If you have more, it never hurts to include them, whether or not they read them, you included them so they can if they want.

They only ask for three in the secondary application.

hey guys, got my secondary today and had a couple questions since this is my first time applying to DO schools and using this application system. Does anyone know if they will get all the letters I have through AACOMAS? Do the schools get sent the letters as I receieve them in AACOMAS? I am waiting for my Pre-Health Advisor to finish his letter and since this is a major requirement for the letter of rec. I am afraid my application will get delayed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey HappyStudent,

I was wondering if you know how DCOM will take the new MCAT test into consideration. Looking from previous threads, they seem to be OK with anything around the 24 and up range which would be the 498 range, but from what a lot of the other DO schools I have talked to, don't bother applying with out a 500, the equivalent of a 25. Were there people in your class with 23-25?

I got accepted with a 23 MCAT. I also only had a 3.35 cGPA and a 2.9 sGPA. So there's hope!

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know when they will start sending out IIs? I'm hoping they start on Mon

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone konw when they will start sending out IIs? I'm hoping they start on Mon

Did you get an email from them asking you to fill out the secondary?

I don't have the MCAT score back yet and didn't know if I should.

Did you get an email from them asking you to fill out the secondary?

I don't have the MCAT score back yet and didn't know if I should.
I did, but I already submitted it in June. Hmm not sure, but I think I heard some people were filling out their secondary before they had their primary verified (don't remember clearly though)

Earlier, someone asked me what rotations were like here, and I responded, if you would like to see that post you can scroll back through and find it. However, I did have something more I wanted to add. DCOM's rotations work so that half the class is on "core 1" and the other half is on "core 2". Core 1 consists of 6 months of rotations set up and scheduled by the school (the first 6 months of year 3). This includes Family, Internal, Surgery, OB, Peds and Psych. The second 6 months, students set up their own rotations. As for Core 2, the first 6 months of year 3 are set up by the student and the second 6 months set up by the school. This means that if you are interested in a specialty, say cardiology, you can set up a selective in this specialty and help decide whether or not you truly are interested in cardiology. While having 6 months of rotations you have to decide on and set up yourself might seem like a burden, it is actually quite beneficial. The school will assign you to a rotations coordinator to help set them too. In fact they set the rotation up, you just give them the name and contact information of who you are wanting to rotate with. DCOM has set it up this way to assist in giving the student opportunity to rule in and out specialties they might be interested in early in their clinical rotations. For example, recently I have spoken with a student from another school. His entire 3rd year is set up for him and he doesn't get to choose the specialties he might be interested in, early on. The first rotation he will set up will in essence be his audition rotations. So if he is interested in cardiology, he wont have the opportunity to investigate the specialty before he would need to start setting up his audition rotations and applying for residency. If you don't know what you want to do, or even have an idea, this could be a problem.
Also, the 6 months of selective and electives can be done anywhere you want. So if you have a family friend who is a doctor and willing to take you for 4 weeks, you can essentially go home for 4 weeks and do a rotation there, or you could just do all your selective and electives in your rotation site you are assigned. It is your call.

Hopefully this wasn't confusing. If I didn't make sense, you are welcome to message me or ask for clarification and I will do my best. I personally like how rotations are done here and am grateful for the opportunity to be able to investigate other specialties that the school doesn't assign for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Earlier, someone asked me what rotations were like here, and I responded, if you would like to see that post you can scroll back through and find it. However, I did have something more I wanted to add. DCOM's rotations work so that half the class is on "core 1" and the other half is on "core 2". Core 1 consists of 6 months of rotations set up and scheduled by the school (the first 6 months of year 3). This includes Family, Internal, Surgery, OB, Peds and Psych. The second 6 months, students set up their own rotations. As for Core 2, the first 6 months of year 3 are set up by the student and the second 6 months set up by the school. This means that if you are interested in a specialty, say cardiology, you can set up a selective in this specialty and help decide whether or not you truly are interested in cardiology. While having 6 months of rotations you have to decide on and set up yourself might seem like a burden, it is actually quite beneficial. The school will assign you to a rotations coordinator to help set them too. In fact they set the rotation up, you just give them the name and contact information of who you are wanting to rotate with. DCOM has set it up this way to assist in giving the student opportunity to rule in and out specialties they might be interested in early in their clinical rotations. For example, recently I have spoken with a student from another school. His entire 3rd year is set up for him and he doesn't get to choose the specialties he might be interested in, early on. The first rotation he will set up will in essence be his audition rotations. So if he is interested in cardiology, he wont have the opportunity to investigate the specialty before he would need to start setting up his audition rotations and applying for residency. If you don't know what you want to do, or even have an idea, this could be a problem.
Also, the 6 months of selective and electives can be done anywhere you want. So if you have a family friend who is a doctor and willing to take you for 4 weeks, you can essentially go home for 4 weeks and do a rotation there, or you could just do all your selective and electives in your rotation site you are assigned. It is your call.

Hopefully this wasn't confusing. If I didn't make sense, you are welcome to message me or ask for clarification and I will do my best. I personally like how rotations are done here and am grateful for the opportunity to be able to investigate other specialties that the school doesn't assign for me.

Whoah it would suck to be on core 2 first...I wouldn't want to be doing audition rotations right off the bat with no experience. Is this not a huge issue?

Whoah it would suck to be on core 2 first...I wouldn't want to be doing audition rotations right off the bat with no experience. Is this not a huge issue?

Oh no, core 2 doesn't mean that audition rotations are first. Core 2 means that your first 6 months are rotations that you have set up or gone through the schools extensive list of elective and selective rotations and requested to rotate with. These are not audition rotations. Audition rotations occur at the beginning of 4th year and have been set up with residencies you are interested in. I personally like core 2 because I get 6 months experience before I start doing the core rotations. Core rotations have quizzes and tests associated with them that you have to pass. Having 6 months extra experience before these core rotations means more knowledge to help with the Shelf exams at the end of each required rotations. That is just my opinion though. Each Core (1 or 2) has its advantages and disadvantages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no, core 2 doesn't mean that audition rotations are first. Core 2 means that your first 6 months are rotations that you have set up or gone through the schools extensive list of elective and selective rotations and requested to rotate with. These are not audition rotations. Audition rotations occur at the beginning of 4th year and have been set up with residencies you are interested in. I personally like core 2 because I get 6 months experience before I start doing the core rotations. Core rotations have quizzes and tests associated with them that you have to pass. Having 6 months extra experience before these core rotations means more knowledge to help with the Shelf exams at the end of each required rotations. That is just my opinion though. Each Core (1 or 2) has its advantages and disadvantages.

Yep def read that wrong lol thanks for clarifying

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received a complete email or II yet? Sent in everything like in June and only got my primary and secondary receipt from the school but no complete email...

Has anyone received a complete email or II yet? Sent in everything like in June and only got my primary and secondary receipt from the school but no complete email...
I just completed a tour this week at LMU. I would honestly email the admissions team your question. They were really nice when I met them and even said to email them when we completed something if we wanted to give them a heads up. If anything, this will just show your interest in the school.

I just completed a tour this week at LMU. I would honestly email the admissions team your question. They were really nice when I met them and even said to email them when we completed something if we wanted to give them a heads up. If anything, this will just show your interest in the school.
how was the tour?

First year here. Keep in mind, this is only our first week. Adcom is probably still transitioning from orientation and whatever for our class and getting ready for this cycle. If you have any questions, I can try to answer them. So far, I really like it here. Biggest surprise is the extreme diversity. We have people from all over with different ethnicities and races.

Reactions: 4 users
First year here. Keep in mind, this is only our first week. Adcom is probably still transitioning from orientation and whatever for our class and getting ready for this cycle. If you have any questions, I can try to answer them. So far, I really like it here. Biggest surprise is the extreme diversity. We have people from all over with different ethnicities and races.

Awesome! That's what I loved most about going from a very white high school to a large university. There were actually people who were different

Awesome! That's what I loved most about going from a very white high school to a large university. There were actually people who were different

Yeah it's great. Everyone in the area is super friendly as well.

Last edited:
do you know what the word limit is for both the essays? thx
My writing lab gave a suggestion that a short essay is around 500 words. I just finished all of mine last night and will be taking the MCAT in September.

My writing lab gave a suggestion that a short essay is around 500 words. I just finished all of mine last night and will be taking the MCAT in September.

DANG! I always write too much! Mine are 900 and 600 (give or take)... but I have so much to say! lol
Hmmm... I wonder if I should shorten them. Any suggestions?

I think you could shorten just a bit, see if you could replace some words that could explain what you are trying to get across in a sentence? Less is more, if you did that I believe it would show a more articulate side. I wouldn't want it to sound like I was rambling on and on.

Just got a complete email...again. I got one in early July too.

I thought the school could see your AACOMAS before verification or am I mistaken?
Also, has anyone gotten a call for an interview yet?!

I thought the school could see your AACOMAS before verification or am I mistaken?

Nope. First interviews were not given out until August 20th last year, so I would assume we still have another week or two

First day for interviews is scheduled for 8/21 this year.

Source: swung by admissions and asked after class.

First day for interviews is scheduled for 8/21 this year.

Source: swung by admissions and asked after class.

Wow, two weeks from now and they haven't even sent out invites yet. Do schools normally have that short of a gap?

Well I am just waiting for my ACCOMAS to be verified. I submitted that it was all correct last week on 7/27. I am so nervous and excited!!! I take the MCAT September 12th right after my quarter is over.

Just sent secondary! May the Force be with all of us.

I live in North Knoxville and it will be about an hr drive for me one way. I hate to do it but I have a family and a husband with a great job with an amazing support system to help with my toddler. I just can't move right now. I hope if I get in I can maybe find someone to stay with or stay at a hotel if I really need the study time.

DCOM's very into diversity...

I guess I'm just curious with it being so close how come no one has heard from them yet.

I live in North Knoxville and it will be about an hr drive for me one way. I hate to do it but I have a family and a husband with a great job with an amazing support system to help with my toddler. I just can't move right now. I hope if I get in I can maybe find someone to stay with or stay at a hotel if I really need the study time.

In no way to discourage you, I will just state that commuting that far is very difficult. There are a few people who attempted it our first year, and only one stuck with it, with sacrifice. Year one first semester requires quite a bit of time in labs, which are required attendance. The student who succeeded at it ended up having to stay at peoples apartments, homes and even on the benches of a local church for a while. As long as you are willing to stay in Harrogate over the weekdays and commute home on weekends, you can make it work. This is what he did. Year two is much better and you have far less required labs to attend that you can mediasite from home and avoid the commute to Harrogate all together. If you get accepted, please contact me and I will get you in contact with the student who has been commuting and succeeded through it. He can help guide you and answer your questions/concerns.

I don't see it as being discouraging. My husband and I have discussed about moving and he is okay. He wouldn't mind driving the hr to work if he gets this raise. If he doesn't he said if we could financially do it he would be a stay at home dad til he decided on his next academic step. We have a few options to think about it. I wouldn't mind coming in on the weekends but I couldn't do that with a toddler. My heart would just break if I couldn't hold him. ;(

Wow, two weeks from now and they haven't even sent out invites yet. Do schools normally have that short of a gap?
Unfortunately I've found this to be true, I had about 10 days when I was told about my interview at Memphis. This can be really hard on those people that need to buy plane tickets or do not have understanding jobs, fortunately they usually give you the option to reschedule if it really is impossible.

I don't see it as being discouraging. My husband and I have discussed about moving and he is okay. He wouldn't mind driving the hr to work if he gets this raise. If he doesn't he said if we could financially do it he would be a stay at home dad til he decided on his next academic step. We have a few options to think about it. I wouldn't mind coming in on the weekends but I couldn't do that with a toddler. My heart would just break if I couldn't hold him. ;(

Awesome. Glad you and your husband have discussed options. If you do get accepted, I actually have a few people I can get you in contact with that are in your same position. One is a dad and the other a mom. When she started, she had a toddler as well. I am sure she would be happy to answer questions you might have. Just let me know.

Application is on hold. Just got an email

Is that the same as Hold for UTHSC? Where you have to have interviewed first and the like? What does their Hold status entail?

UTHSC? The email essential said that if my application became more competitive they would contact me for an interview.

UTHSC? The email essential said that if my application became more competitive they would contact me for an interview.
Sorry, UTHSC is UT Memphis Medical school. I know their hold status took place after your interview, it was as if they hadn't decided to accept or place on wait-list yet. I've not heard of a school doing hold before interviews are even sent out, at least not this early. Thank you for answering.

Just got a complete email, I didn't submit the secondary until July 26th. Hoping for good news, I'm a huge Titans fan and country music enthusiast, so I would love to live in Tennessee

I also received a complete email, very hopeful for some good news from this school.