Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I have a couple of questions.

Anyone have recommendations on housing? I don't plan on having any roommates.

Also, I was given a phone number to call to order my white coat + DCOM patch. However, no one picks up when I call that number. Could anyone offer some guidance/recommendations in this matter?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Join the facebook page for the 2020 class. They will be able to better answer questions for you, as they are all going through the same stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I have a couple of questions.

Anyone have recommendations on housing? I don't plan on having any roommates.

Also, I was given a phone number to call to order my white coat + DCOM patch. However, no one picks up when I call that number. Could anyone offer some guidance/recommendations in this matter?

If you're calling the bookstore, their number is (423) 869-6306. Hours are 8am-5pm. Not sure if you're calling after they're closed or not (and don't forget time zone differences if this applies to you).

Also I recommend Ball Realty for housing. They have both 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom duplexes. I have a 2 bedroom to myself and am using the 2nd bedroom as my office area. Granted it costs more to have a 2 bedroom vs a 1 bedroom, but I like having the extra space.

If you're calling the bookstore, their number is (423) 869-6306. Hours are 8am-5pm. Not sure if you're calling after they're closed or not (and don't forget time zone differences if this applies to you).

Also I recommend Ball Realty for housing. They have both 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom duplexes. I have a 2 bedroom to myself and am using the 2nd bedroom as my office area. Granted it costs more to have a 2 bedroom vs a 1 bedroom, but I like having the extra space.

Thank you for the reply! I have been calling that number before 5pm EST so I'm not sure what's going on there. I will try again in the morning.

I will also look into Ball Realty! I take it this is an off-campus apartment? If so, how far is it from campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Join the facebook page for the 2020 class. They will be able to better answer questions for you, as they are all going through the same stuff.

Thank you for the reply! I actually do not have Facebook, but I will probably reactivate mine to join the group. Do I just look up this group and join?

do you mean the whole masters program (biomedical plus anatomical sciences) has 140 ppl? or just biomedical masters?

The whole masters has about 140 people currently and I've heard that number is going up.

Thank you for the reply! I actually do not have Facebook, but I will probably reactivate mine to join the group. Do I just look up this group and join?

Yes, you can just search for it and request to join. Having facebook is essential for our school. A lot of communication goes on between faculty/fellows and students here.

Has there been any changes in rotations and the sites with the new dean? Also how do the students feel about the huge class size?

Has there been any changes in rotations and the sites with the new dean? Also how do the students feel about the huge class size?

The dean is working on getting us more rotations sites but it's all still behind the scenes stuff - was told to us at our most recent deans hour. The huge class size has not been an issue to my knowledge. A bigger size just means more diversity and a greater chance of making a ton of friends.

Thank you for the reply! I have been calling that number before 5pm EST so I'm not sure what's going on there. I will try again in the morning.

I will also look into Ball Realty! I take it this is an off-campus apartment? If so, how far is it from campus?

Yes Ball is off-campus. Ball is supposed to be all DCOM/PA/Professional people, so it's nice that you'll be surrounded by fellow students. It's about 5 minutes from campus, give or take the traffic light.

wow! this went up fast. i remember reading it before that there were just being 25 ppl. Or is 25 from AS only?

25 is only AS. There are significantly more BP students since the pre-vets are also BPs. There are about 20 Pre-Vet med BP students so that leaves about ~75ish Pre-DO BPs.

Are there opportunities to do basic science research at LMU-DCOM?

I know that a lot of students participate in the many clubs here. There is always something going on and there's a club for everything. There are also community service and fundraising events going on all the time. You'll definitely have time and opportunity for that.

Many say that DCOM isn't the place to go for research, but I think that is highly subjective depending on what kind of research. The anatomy department here is huge and have stuff going on nonstop, but they are all mostly anthropologists so its that kind of research. Lots of cadaver research going on. The only affiliation with UT will be if you find it yourself or work with a professor that does research in collaboration with UT which at least half of the anatomy professors do. I know MS students who go down there all the time. We also have an imaging center so I know people do research there all the time. I just wouldn't expect too many clinical research opportunities like sponsored drug trials or inventing a new medical device. However you can definitely find opportunities and create your own. Many people want research to be given to them, well in reality you need to be active and come up with an idea and professors will help you. So in my opinion there's definitely good research here, most people just don't want to put in the hard work getting it going. Oh and yes students are regularly getting published!

If you want in on research, I recommend reading our faculties' publications, find what they're doing that you're interested in, and then contact them only after you've done your homework. Faculty will support you if you do something related to their field and it's evident that you've already done some leg work. And what BlueSlurpee says is correct - the anatomical faculty have a lot of projects going on and a handful of DO students and a few MS students got research fellowships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has heard of any movement off of the waitlist?! I also had a question regarding reapplying. I am planning on reapplying this cycle. If I submit my application through AACOMAS, will this cause me to lose my spot on the waitlist, will I be automatically removed? I know it doesn't for AMCAS but couldn't find any information regarding AACOMAS.

To give those of you on the waitlist some hope, I know of at least a handful of accepted students that are giving up their seats for other programs. Don't give up hope just yet!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an incoming c/o 2020 student. Does anyone know if we can use the meal plan at LMU? I am not much of a cook and do not want to eat ramen every night.

I'm an incoming c/o 2020 student. Does anyone know if we can use the meal plan at LMU? I am not much of a cook and do not want to eat ramen every night.

You can, but I recommend against it. The hours of operation tend not to match up with your schedule. http://www.dineoncampus.com/lmu/show.cfm?cmd=menus. Yah, you can make it work if you mediasite but for the dinners, you'll be rushing on a few days. At the end of the year, I had several friends who were literally buying meals for their friends because they weren't able to use up enough of their plan.

One of the best things you can do before you start is learn how to cook healthy. Your body will thank you.

Applying to LMU for this current cycle. Any accepted students know how fast (or if it has) the anatomy boot camp course filled up? Can anyone who has taken it attest to how helpful it was for M1?

I am a non-trad who had very limited time in an anatomy/dissection lab and found that this course was available very interesting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Applying to LMU for this current cycle. Any accepted students know how fast (or if it has) the anatomy boot camp course filled up? Can anyone who has taken it attest to how helpful it was for M1?

I am a non-trad who had very limited time in an anatomy/dissection lab and found that this course was available very interesting.

I got accepted around August/September and I saw that there were still seats available in late March.

I was complete in November and never heard back. I read they usually don't give silent rejections... Was anyone in the same boat?

I am accepted elsewhere but am just curious what happened.

I was complete in November and never heard back. I read they usually don't give silent rejections... Was anyone in the same boat?

I am accepted elsewhere but am just curious what happened.

It's unusual that you haven't heard anything as the interview cycle is over. It may be that they're currently filling the class with people from the waitlist, so after the class is full, they'll be sending out the rejections.

Anyone know the schedule yet? I still haven't received any information on start date, or orientation, etc... I guess we're still about two months away, but I have to prepare for moving.

Anyone know the schedule yet? I still haven't received any information on start date, or orientation, etc... I guess we're still about two months away, but I have to prepare for moving.

Unless incoming first years have gotten emails with dates, this is all that's available at the moment. http://www.lmunet.edu/academics/sch...athic-medicine/do/academics/academic-calendar The 2015-2016 calendar is on top and if you scroll down, you will see the 2016-2017 calendar.

They just posted the book list for fall 2016. That's our class. No schedule yet!

Reactions: 1 users
When do we start buying these supplies/books? Also are all of those required?

When do we start buying these supplies/books? Also are all of those required?

If you haven't already, join the Class of 2020 facebook page. A lot of 1st and 2nd years are selling their books for much cheaper than what it cost to buy them if you're a textbook person. Textbooks are marked as required, but many people get by without using them. The only books I bought were First Aid and some books with review questions so I could practice. All you really need is some kind of anatomy atlas and that's just for reference sake when you're unsure of how something is oriented. You can either get the Netter atlas or if you join SOMA, you get a Timey atlas with your membership. You can also just get the Essential Anatomy app - this was what I used.

I will no longer be attending Debusk this upcoming year. Hopefully the spot goes to one of you on the waitlist. Best of luck!

do you mean the whole masters program (biomedical plus anatomical sciences) has 140 ppl? or just biomedical masters?

Thats untrue, there were 120 masters students this year and that included 20 vet students and several people who were not applying to medical school. One wanted the masters degree to become a teacher and the other was thinking about PT school.

Got a call Tuesday asking if I was still interested. I've already accepted elsewhere but for people waiting there's still hope! Good luck!

Thats untrue, there were 120 masters students this year and that included 20 vet students and several people who were not applying to medical school. One wanted the masters degree to become a teacher and the other was thinking about PT school.

You may be right - I was estimating at the total. The amount of people not trying to get into DCOM excluding the pre-vets though is really quite low. We've had maybe 5 in the whole program that didn't intend to go to DCOM and about 5 taking acceptances at other schools. About 40ish master students were accepted right after interviews. Down the grapevine, I've heard that about 10 more have been pulled off the waitlist. We won't know the final number of accepted master students until July, but I expect about 60-70 students in the 2020 class out of the 242 to be master students.

i called today and Janette said that they currently have no open spots for waitlisted students, but she anticipates more spots opening come next week and so some applicants should get calls for seats within the next couple of weeks hopefully

for those of you who got accepted from the masters program at LMU, what classes will you take now since you already took medical gross anatomy and such? is your student status kind of like advanced first year? or are you taking second-year courses as a first year student? do you think you will graduate early?

for those of you who got accepted from the masters program at LMU, what classes will you take now since you already took medical gross anatomy and such? is your student status kind of like advanced first year? or are you taking second-year courses as a first year student? do you think you will graduate early?

They just have a lighter first year course load. They take the same classes as the other first years, just not anatomy, neuro, histo, (fmhc?). They do not take second year classes until they reach second year.

If you haven't already, join the Class of 2020 facebook page. A lot of 1st and 2nd years are selling their books for much cheaper than what it cost to buy them if you're a textbook person. Textbooks are marked as required, but many people get by without using them. The only books I bought were First Aid and some books with review questions so I could practice. All you really need is some kind of anatomy atlas and that's just for reference sake when you're unsure of how something is oriented. You can either get the Netter atlas or if you join SOMA, you get a Timey atlas with your membership. You can also just get the Essential Anatomy app - this was what I used.
Well darn-- looks like the Moore anatomy textbook is required. I already bought Gray's, which was on last year's OMS-1 list. I dont know why I chose to buy early.
So I shouldn't be concerned?

Well darn-- looks like the Moore anatomy textbook is required. I already bought Gray's, which was on last year's OMS-1 list. I dont know why I chose to buy early.

Don't worry about it. Moore's book is a way better reference imo and you can get by without ever opening either. I have both and never touched either of them.

I'll be honest I didn't buy any of the books last year except the Rohens Color Atlas. Use that and the Sunny and Michigan State questions online and you're guaranteed an easy A in anatomy lab.

I'll be honest I didn't buy any of the books last year except the Rohens Color Atlas. Use that and the Sunny and Michigan State questions online and you're guaranteed an easy A in anatomy lab.

May I ask what is this Sunny of which you speak? Lol sorry - I know the Rohens and the Michigan State online questions.

How does Lincoln Memorial DeBusk feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?

Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!

How does Lincoln Memorial DeBusk feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?

Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!

Not an issue. I did my entire science series minus gen chem at a community college. Should also add that DCOM is more concerned that you did well in those classes than where you took them. Since the school is in a rural area and we have many students from the surrounding area that couldn't attend large university, they understand.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone comment on t-mobile cellular reception in middlesboro and around the school? I have heard Verizon is the best but I am liking the t-mobile plan.

How close are the surrounding cities? Looking more closely at Harrogate and seeing the population size.

Are there many major medical centers (job for my wife) around? Also, many options for childcare? Just concerns that come into mind looking at a smaller city... I know it's right on the border with Kentucky, but I'm still not familiar at all with the area.

Can anyone comment on t-mobile cellular reception in middlesboro and around the school? I have heard Verizon is the best but I am liking the t-mobile plan.

A classmate has T-mobile, it's fairly similar to At&t while on campus or in Middlesboro/Tazewell in that it works fine most of the time. LTE cuts in and out occasionally. Down in the Cumberland gap though, you're **** out of luck. Recommend getting a mini cell-tower if you live in the University Inn/Lee and Mars.

How close are the surrounding cities? Looking more closely at Harrogate and seeing the population size.

Are there many major medical centers (job for my wife) around? Also, many options for childcare? Just concerns that come into mind looking at a smaller city... I know it's right on the border with Kentucky, but I'm still not familiar at all with the area.

The closest city to Harrogate is Middlesboro in Kentucky. Middlesboro is where most students that live on campus and in the Cumberland Gap go for groceries/Walmart. It's about a 10 minute drive from campus. Tazewell and New Tazewell are the closest cities south of Harrogate and are about 20-30 minutes away.

I say cities, but they're really just small towns. They have a Kroger/Wal-Mart, fast food joints, and maybe 1 or 2 restaurants. The closest actual city is Knoxville which is about an hour and 15 minutes away. If your spouse is looking for a job, your best bet is to live in New Tazewell. Your drive will be about 30 minutes from campus, but your spouse can get a job in Knoxville and travel much more easily back and forth.

In terms of childcare - a lot of students have spouses and kids that stay home and they alternate daycare days or playdates.

Does anyone know if they do acceptances for next years class from the wait list? Just wondering.

Thanks

Does anyone know if they do acceptances for next years class from the wait list? Just wondering.

Thanks

The 'next years class' is throwing me off lol, so I'll answer both ways. They are pulling off the wait list for the 2020 class but an earlier post said that they stopped until people dropped their acceptances. If you are talking about the 2021 class, I don't think I have ever heard of them doing so.