Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Absolutely nothing to worry about. You will have your MCAT back by October and plenty of time to have an interview and potentially get accepted. They do interviews all the way up to April.

Unless you are flying from England or a far distant country with an extremely different time zone, you should be perfectly fine with the 1.5 hour drive following your flight. Just rest on the plane and grab yourself a big gulp with your favorite caffeinated beverage and you will be fine. Besides, the drive is very pretty and should keep you engaged enough to stay awake.
just flying from san diego lol but i can't drink carbonated stuff (makes my stomach hurt) or coffee (don't like the taste). maybe i should just hire a plane to fly me over the school so that i can skydive in. i wonder if that's ever been done before

Members don't see this ad.

I would highly recommend doing your best to attend the dinner the night before your interview. You will be meeting with current 2nd years who will give you insight into the life of a medical student, what to expect during your interview and how to do your best in the interview. It will certainly help to calm any nervousness you may have. DCOM is very relaxed. If you got an II, you are already acceptable on paper, they now want to see what type of individual you are in person and if you will mesh well with the mission of DCOM and its targeted student body. If you cannot make it to the dinner, don't panic, there is absolutely no weight on it and you still just have as much chance of getting in as someone who did attend.
ooh i didn't see anything in my email about dinner. that happens every year??

II as well! My first ever too, super excited about possibly living in Tennessee

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes Knoxville is cheaper than Tri-cities, and sometimes Tri-cities is cheaper than Knoxville. Knoxville or Tri-cities, you are looking at a 1 - 1.5 hour drive (depending on your foot) no matter which one you come into. Rentals are easier to get too in Knoxville than Tri-cities. You will just have to look and see. If you don't mind driving ~3-4 hours after your flight, you can fly into Nashville or Louisville.

Lexington is also an option

ill be staying in town Thursday night before the interview and Friday night (8/28) after the interview if anyone wants to do something!

II this morning, hadnt even submitted my secondary yet! Had to ask them if they still wanted it! :) First interview... anyone have insight? The admissions lady said it was a blind interview..

Nope, I live on the opposite side of the country so I needed a little more time to set up my travel. My interview date is September 18th. 3.5/3.6, 28. Published research, lots of volunteering and I was born and raised in a rural medically undeserved area.
I will be doing the interview the 18th as well! I guess Ill be seeing you there!

Nope, I live on the opposite side of the country so I needed a little more time to set up my travel. My interview date is September 18th. 3.5/3.6, 28. Published research, lots of volunteering and I was born and raised in a rural medically undeserved area.
are you flying in to knoxville on that thursday by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning, hadnt even submitted my secondary yet! Had to ask them if they still wanted it! :) First interview... anyone have insight? The admissions lady said it was a blind interview..
what in the world...?? lol CONGRATS!! :)
that's so weird though. i had no idea they sent out interviews without reviewing secondary apps first

@Happy Student you ever heard of this?

If you're asking if the interviews are indeed blind, yes they are. The people who will interview you will not know your mcat or gpa scores. They do have access to everything else though. Someone please correct me if that has changed from last year when I interviewed.

Congrats guys, good luck to everyone and their interviews! Also, patience is important to have. I had everything in the very first day, didn't interview till November, got waitlisted and wasn't pulled off the waitlist till the very beginning of July.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, I do believe it says they cannot do an interview without it.
what in the world...?? lol CONGRATS!! :)
that's so weird though. i had no idea they sent out interviews without reviewing secondary apps first

If you're asking if the interviews are indeed blind, yes they are. The people who will interview you will not know your mcat or gpa scores. They do have access to everything else though. Someone please correct me if that has changed from last year when I interviewed.

Congrats guys, good luck to everyone and their interviews! Also, patience is important to have. I had everything in the very first day, didn't interview till November, got waitlisted and wasn't pulled off the waitlist till the very beginning of July.

i was referring to the below post where this guy said he got an II without even sending in his secondary. but on another note, was it MMI or traditional?

@Happy Student you ever heard of this?

I have heard of it. Rare, but happens. If your primary is impressive then why wait for a secondary? They will still require a secondary though, but they probably knew they would invite him for an interview either way and went ahead and did it. He must be a high roller.

That sounds like fun, what is the dress attire? Can you bring a spouse?

It is fun. Yes spouses are for sure invited. You will find that this is their process too. They may not be the one studying, but they are the support, the stress relief, the shoulder to cry on and they share in the difficulty as well. Giving them the opportunity to know what they will be going through is important as well. Remember that when you get accepted somewhere. With that being said, if she wasn't planning on fly to the interview with you, don't fork the money over unless it was already a plan.

ooh i didn't see anything in my email about dinner. that happens every year??

Well, I would make sure it is happening with your interview date. It typically happens the night before every interview and will most likely be happening before yours as well. Look through your email to see if you find the link. It is nothing fancy, nor at a fantastic restaurant (it is okay food, the pizza is probably their best item). It is at Gondoliers just by the school. They set an area aside for the school and allow some students to come sit with the interviewees and talk. It has absolutely zero weight on your interview and ability to get accepted. Attire is casual, no need to dress up. It is usually at 6:30 the night before your interview. Again, look through your email and see if you find a notification or link to it.

i was referring to the below post where this guy said he got an II without even sending in his secondary. but on another note, was it MMI or traditional?

It will be a traditional, very non-stressful interview. All they want to do is to get to know you. Last year, during the pre-interview day stuff, I asked the admission staff if they would incorporate MMI and they didn't seem like they enjoyed that type of interview.

Can they give out Interviews without an MCAT?

Last edited:

I am assuming you are asking if DCOM does the mini interviews? No, thank goodness. I personally feel that is a poor evaluation method. As previously stated, the interview is a blind interview. The interviewers actually know very little about you. They have not looked at your MCAT, GPA or even really your EC's. They may have looked at the EC's a little, but not enough to quote something you said. I really liked this about the school, it made the evaluation of you completely honest and unbiased. If you have received an interview invitation, it means you look good to them on paper. If this is the case, forget about a poor MCAT performance or low GPA. They got past it and are now seeing if they like you in person. Someone can look great on paper, but be different in person.

Can they give out Interviews without an MCAT?

I highly doubt it. The MCAT is a standard requirement for all US medical schools, with the exception of Caribbean schools. You will probably never hear of someone getting and interview without an MCAT score, at least not from here.

Guys how do they look upon rescheduling for logistics? I may need to due to an ii I just received this morning that's only a few hours away from the school. I won't do this if it will look negative on me. What do you think @Happy Student

Guys how do they look upon rescheduling for logistics? I may need to due to an ii I just received this morning that's only a few hours away from the school. I won't do this if it will look negative on me. What do you think @Happy Student

Well, it depends on when your interview is and why you want to switch. If you are suppose to interview Friday, I wouldn't recommend trying to change the date. If you are a little while out, you should be fine. The school is very understanding. I would call the admissions office. You will probably get a hold of Rebbecca Barnett. Talk to her about your situation and she will tell you what to do. With 4000+ applicants a year, interview spots are valuable. I just re-read your post. You have another interview near DCOM? They will work with you. Just talk to Mrs. Barnett.

Well, it depends on when your interview is and why you want to switch. If you are suppose to interview Friday, I wouldn't recommend trying to change the date. If you are a little while out, you should be fine. The school is very understanding. I would call the admissions office. You will probably get a hold of Rebbecca Barnett. Talk to her about your situation and she will tell you what to do. With 4000+ applicants a year, interview spots are valuable. I just re-read your post. You have another interview near DCOM? They will work with you. Just talk to Mrs. Barnett.
Ok thank you....I think I'm going to just keep it as it is at this point then. If the other school decides to switch anything for me, then I'll go with that. Aug 28th is my interview day...I feel pretty set to stick with that date. Wish I could get there early to go to the dinner but doesn't look I'll be able to :( (12 hour drive).

Be wary of two things;

1) interviewers will look up your Facebook/twitter/Instagram/MySpace/Reddit ;) account

2) there are a ton of Master's students (~150) looking for your spot. They interact with professors, adcom, and faculty weekly so they have a leg up on you. I'm surprised a lot of them didn't make the cut. IMO If you're wait listed, I would suspect the MS dudes will be picked over you. Really make the impression you want to go to this school, an hour and a half away from civilization, don't make it another stop on your interview trail. Also be honest, they don't care if you want to do rad/onc or submarinal FM, but you better have a good reason for pursuing your goals. Best of luck!

Be wary of two things;

1) interviewers will look up your Facebook/twitter/Instagram/MySpace/Reddit ;) account

2) there are a ton of Master's students (~150) looking for your spot. They interact with professors, adcom, and faculty weekly so they have a leg up on you. I'm surprised a lot of them didn't make the cut. IMO If you're wait listed, I would suspect the MS dudes will be picked over you. Really make the impression you want to go to this school, an hour and a half away from civilization, don't make it another stop on your interview trail. Also be honest, they don't care if you want to do rad/onc or submarinal FM, but you better have a good reason for pursuing your goals. Best of luck!

reddit account.. haha good luck!

Anyone else going 9/4? It's the only Thursday/Friday I can get off from work

School:
Pros: The school is very friendly and willing to look at you as a whole. They are very open to opinions and student feed back. The school is basically a a big family and everyone helps everyone, there is no cutthroat behavior (there is no need for that). The staff is very approachable and willing to help. Your success is the schools success and they know that and it is a key component of their mission. The school is very organized and does a great job at managing 200+ students, hiccups happen and will happen at any school, DCOM does a good job of recovering and making sure you get a great education and have plenty of opportunity to get where you want to go. The facilities are state of the art and technologically advanced. Each study room has 10-15 chairs with a TV available to group study, there are about 15 of these rooms in each building. Sim lab and OSCE labs are fantastic and help prepare you well for rotations. It has been expressed to the school many times that preceptors clinical rotations are very pleased with preparation that students receive to do a history and physical on a patient and actually do well. The school sits on a hill that over looks a gorgeous view. You cannot beat the scenery, seriously.
Cons: The school does accept about 220 students, it is a large class, but as I said in Pros, they do well on keeping it organized. It is a newer school, so we don't have a ton of practicing physicians in the field yet, not a big deal though, there will be 10 classes ahead of you that have paved a very nice pathway to residencies. My experience here has been fantastic and I am very please with my choice to attend DCOM. I can't say I have that many cons on the school, truly.

Just a note: Hiccups happen no matter where you go, the best way to evaluate a school is to gain an understanding of how a school handles the hiccups. DCOM does a great job at hiccup management.

The area:
Pros: It is gorgeous here. The mountains and the lushes green terrain is fantastic. The storms are fun to watch and the sun peaking up over the mountains as you head to school really makes the area shine. There is a lot of outdoor stuff you can do here. Plenty of adventure. It is an hour and a half away from Knoxville, so it makes it easier to focus and study as there is not a lot to do in terms of night life. If you do want to go see a movie there is a theater in Middlesboro, it is not nice by any means, but a new movie is much cheaper there than a nice theater.
Cons: It is an hour and a half away from Knoxville, so you do have to drive a little ways in order to get to something more than Palancos and Gondolier for restaurants and entertainment. The area is rural, which isn't necessarily a con as I actually enjoy a smaller town than a large city, but if you are from a city, it does make for an experience from what you are use too. But you can do anything for 2 years, then you can head to rotations and try to get a spot at a larger area like Knoxville, Memphis or Nashville.

If you are from the city, the way I look at it, you can come to DCOM and get more than just an education, you get to experience a different culture and way of life. When you are done with it all, you can aim for a residency in a larger city and still go back to your roots if you want. If you do this, then you have more to comment on in life than just a city life, as you experienced a rural one as well. All of this just adds to help make you a better well rounded physician.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
School:
Pros: The school is very friendly and willing to look at you as a whole. They are very open to opinions and student feed back. The school is basically a a big family and everyone helps everyone, there is no cutthroat behavior (there is no need for that). The staff is very approachable and willing to help. Your success is the schools success and they know that and it is a key component of their mission. The school is very organized and does a great job at managing 200+ students, hiccups happen and will happen at any school, DCOM does a good job of recovering and making sure you get a great education and have plenty of opportunity to get where you want to go. The facilities are state of the art and technologically advanced. Each study room has 10-15 chairs with a TV available to group study, there are about 15 of these rooms in each building. Sim lab and OSCE labs are fantastic and help prepare you well for rotations. It has been expressed to the school many times that preceptors clinical rotations are very pleased with preparation that students receive to do a history and physical on a patient and actually do well. The school sits on a hill that over looks a gorgeous view. You cannot beat the scenery, seriously.
Cons: The school does accept about 220 students, it is a large class, but as I said in Pros, they do well on keeping it organized. It is a newer school, so we don't have a ton of practicing physicians in the field yet, not a big deal though, there will be 8 classes ahead of you that have paved a very nice pathway to residencies. Um... my experience here has been fantastic and I am very please with my choice to attend DCOM. I can't say I have that many cons on the school, truly.

Not really a con, just a note: Hiccups happen no matter where you go, the best way to evaluate a school is to gain an understanding of how a school handles the hiccups. DCOM does a great job at hiccup management.

The area:
Pros: It is gorgeous here. The mountains and the lushes green terrain is fantastic. The storms are fun to watch and the sun peaking up over the mountains as you head to school really makes the area shine. There is a lot of outdoor stuff you can do here. Plenty of adventure. It is an hour and a half away from Knoxville, so it makes it easier to focus and study as there is not a lot to do in terms of night life. If you do want to go see a movie there is a theater in Middlesboro, it is not nice by any means, but a new movie is much cheaper there than a nice theater.
Cons: It is an hour and a half away from Knoxville, so you do have to drive a little ways in order to get to something more than Palancos and Gondolier for restaurants and entertainment. The area is rural, which isn't necessarily a con as I actually enjoy a smaller town than a large city, but if you are from a city, it does make for an experience from what you are use too. But you can do anything for 2 years, then you can head to rotations and try to get a spot at a larger area like Knoxville, Memphis or Nashville.

If you are from the city, the way I look at it, you can come to DCOM and get more than just an education, you get to experience a different culture and way of life. When you are done with it all, you can aim for a residency in a larger city and still go back to your roots if you want. If you do this, then you have more to comment on in life than just a city life, as you experienced a rural one as well. All of this just adds to help make you a better well rounded physician.

Hope this helps.
many thanks!

Happy Student speaks the truth. Can't beat $3.25 Sunday matinees. A Professor told us last night that they're currently clearing out space for another building filled with study rooms and a snack/coffee bar by the current science building. The all-you-can-eat cafeteria is good. Dollywood, Gatlinburg and the Smoky Mountains were fun weekends too. I've been going down there and Knoxville a lot. Weaning off Chipotle and Starbucks is rough.

Happy Student speaks the truth. Can't beat $3.25 Sunday matinees. A Professor told us last night that they're currently clearing out space for another building filled with study rooms and a snack/coffee bar by the current science building. The all-you-can-eat cafeteria is good. Dollywood, Gatlinburg and the Smoky Mountains were fun weekends too. I've been going down there and Knoxville a lot. Weaning off Chipotle and Starbucks is rough.
are the school buildings pretty new?

I do hope you are correct on the "study building", I do know that the plot of land you are speaking of has been under construction for at least 2 years. It was first cleared and flattened when I got there and rumor had it they were making the Vet building there. We saw activity many times through the last two years but I think they decided not to proceed with what the development was suppose to be. I truly hope you are right though and they have decided to make that into a study building. That would be awesome! DCOM is not short on cash, so that would be great if they went ahead and did this.

are the school buildings pretty new?
The DCOM building is 6 years old. The Math and Science building is 3 years old. These two places are where you spend all of your time as a medical student. You may go to the library, but it is not a huge study area, at least it wasn't for me. LMU campus is relatively old with a few other new building. I know they were constructing a new Golf Club house down by the driving range as well as developing something in the park as well. The campus is certainly growing.

Last edited:
Any new II? Was compete pretty early but no updates yet for me :/

If I received an email saying that my supplemental application was received, and that I will be contacted if selected for an interview, does that mean I am complete? Or will they send me an email specifically stating that my application is complete?

Just got an II this morning!! Submitted and paid on 8/8.

II this morning. Complete email 8/14. Are you guys renting a car?

I think the closest airport is an hour and a half away. I'm flying in.

Renting here...I'll be driving in on Aug 27th for the 28th and leaving the 29th (2-night stay). Probably won't get there until 8pm...missing the dinner i think :(

More study rooms?!?! This will be wonderful! I can't say how many times I've raced to find a study room only to find them all taken lol

If I received an email saying that my supplemental application was received, and that I will be contacted if selected for an interview, does that mean I am complete? Or will they send me an email specifically stating that my application is complete?
i was wondering the same thing, but i got a separate email saying i was complete Monday; but i submitted everything in mid july