Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

So the supplemental materials on the aacomas site says that you can fill out the secondary anytime, but I'm not finding the medical school secondary on the site in the link. Anyone have a similar experience?

So the supplemental materials on the aacomas site says that you can fill out the secondary anytime, but I'm not finding the medical school secondary on the site in the link. Anyone have a similar experience?

Probably not available just yet. Looking at last year's thread, we'll probably get an email once primary is received

Members don't see this ad :)
So assuming the same essay questions are repeated this year, which were the following:
Please COPY and PASTE the short essay addressing ONE of the following questions in the box below:
  • Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. How have you prepared for this commitment?
  • OR if you are a re-applicant please tell us what you have done to strengthen your application.
  • Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know that you haven’t explained on your AACOMAS application?
If I am a reapplicant, am I obligated to answer the second question?

LMU does not list a word limit, so what do you think we should stick to? I was thinking no more than 500 words, like a lot of other secondaries.

Reactions: 1 user
LMU does not list a word limit, so what do you think we should stick to? I was thinking no more than 500 words, like a lot of other secondaries.
Yeah, I'd say 300-500 words is appropriate. It does specifically say "short essay".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I tried to submit and you have 2000 characters

Reactions: 1 users
Do you just create an account and do this even though they did bot send us email about receiving or primary?

So if I wanted to pick the optional essay I would have to do two essay's in 2000 characters?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I wanted to pick the optional essay I would have to do two essay's in 2000 characters?

I am having a same question too.

How should we do this? Do we just list the title of each essay and answer it? Or we combine both?

Ok here what I have from admission director:

"I would type it on a word document then copy and paste into the area. Please include the question. I have asked IS to change the characters to 2500 since you have to include the question. Thanks"

Maybe it helps clarify things out for many people.

Update, she said that IS is adding another box for optional essay.

Good luck everyone

Good luck to all y'all! If this is your first time applying to the school, you should check out the virtual tour on our facebook page! Feel free to ask me any questions about the school/environment and I'll be seeing some of you soon hopefully!

Good luck to all y'all! If this is your first time applying to the school, you should check out the virtual tour on our facebook page! Feel free to ask me any questions about the school/environment and I'll be seeing some of you soon hopefully!

I saw on the video advertisement that the school is actually set up like a "hospital" where sometimes cases are stimulated? is it true? I'm very excited lol.

I saw on the video advertisement that the school is actually set up like a "hospital" where sometimes cases are stimulated? is it true? I'm very excited lol.

Hahaha I don't know if I'd call it a "hospital" setting, but we have OSCEs (objective structured clinical examinations). During your OSCEs, you have a simulated patient with a pre-determined condition and are expected to see the patient as if you were seeing a real patient at the clinic. OSCEs are timed and recorded so after you finish, you can go back and see what you actually look like while doing your exam. It's basically your chance to play doctor.

Hahaha I don't know if I'd call it a "hospital" setting, but we have OSCEs (objective structured clinical examinations). During your OSCEs, you have a simulated patient with a pre-determined condition and are expected to see the patient as if you were seeing a real patient at the clinic. OSCEs are timed and recorded so after you finish, you can go back and see what you actually look like while doing your exam. It's basically your chance to play doctor.

Wow, that's so cool. I'm in love with the school already.

I thought I would just jump on here really quick and offer my help in any way possible. I am a 4th year at DCOM and getting ready for residency applications. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I plan on writing a summary of my time here at DCOM, when I have a moment.

Good luck on applications.

Reactions: 3 users
can I submit my secondary before my LOR appears as "Accepted" in AACOMAS? I have one LOR that still is in the "Requested" stage but I want to submit. I swear I've asked this question in like 5 different places and have never gotten an answer.

can I submit my secondary before my LOR appears as "Accepted" in AACOMAS? I have one LOR that still is in the "Requested" stage but I want to submit. I swear I've asked this question in like 5 different places and have never gotten an answer.

Yes - it won't matter. The committee won't look at incomplete files so until they receive the LOR your file just sits in limbo.

I tried to submit and you have 2000 characters

Not sure how true this is yet. I copied and pasted roughly 4000 characters into the space and the page allowed it. I'm not sure though when you actually click submit if it gives off an error.

Any advice, I wrote out my essay on Word, it has 2,494 characters with spaces an I keep getting this:
A validation error occurred. The length of the 'l32_essay' attribute of the 'elcn_dcomsupplementalapp' entity exceeded the maximum allowed length of '2500'.

I don't think I need to type in the thing inthebox and I have three tiny paragraphs so that would only add to 2,497 characters....

edit: FIXED. Just decided to delete a word and it worked. Odd.

Last edited:
Confused- do you get an email asking you to submit a secondary or does everyone that got a primary fill out a secondary?

Confused- do you get an email asking you to submit a secondary or does everyone that got a primary fill out a secondary?

They said they will email us. The admission told me they won't download primary for a while.

You can also just go online and get the secondary.

do we have to pay for the secondary? Does anyone know the average gpa and mcat from past years for this school?

do we have to pay for the secondary? Does anyone know the average gpa and mcat from past years for this school?

Dude you ask that on all the threads. Search past forums or go online and you will find it. The average MCAT, according to LMUs website, is a 502.

When you make an account what is the entry term, and academic level?

Can anyone that has submitted a secondary answer my question- is the 2500 character limit with or without spaces?

With. Haven't come across a school that does not include spaces as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

So which of these are the secondary essay questions?

1) In your own life, what experiences and/or people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician and what personal qualities do you possess that will help you become a successful osteopathic physician?

2) Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. How have you prepared for this commitment?
3) OR if you are a re-applicant please tell us what you have done to strengthen your application.
4) Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know that you haven’t explained on your AACOMAS application?

I saw on the application link posted above that its only between the last 3 options, but the first one (in bold) was used last year (got from last year thread). Can someone let me know?

So which of these are the secondary essay questions?

1) In your own life, what experiences and/or people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician and what personal qualities do you possess that will help you become a successful osteopathic physician?

2) Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. How have you prepared for this commitment?
3) OR if you are a re-applicant please tell us what you have done to strengthen your application.
4) Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know that you haven’t explained on your AACOMAS application?

I saw on the application link posted above that its only between the last 3 options, but the first one (in bold) was used last year (got from last year thread). Can someone let me know?

It's the last 3 like you said. The secondary is open to everyone.

Did anyone else just get an unprompted "thank you for submitting?" email?