Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my email to interview this past Tuesday :) I'm really excited to interview here and I love that they include spouses and family to join in on the day:) Does anyone have any tips for interview day? I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Just be yourself. 100% not kidding. DCOM already likes you well enough to send you an interview, now you need to show them what's great about you. Have some stories mentally prepared about your hobbies and interests so that you don't freeze on the spot. It is pretty common for people to come out of the interview saying "I only answered 2 questions that are the normal med student interview question (why DO? why med school? why dcom?) with the rest of the time being spent chatting about hobby/sport/favorite book/cool thing."

I do recommend going to the pizza dinner the night before, it's a good way to meet others and help chase the jitters away.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just be yourself. 100% not kidding. DCOM already likes you well enough to send you an interview, now you need to show them what's great about you. Have some stories mentally prepared about your hobbies and interests so that you don't freeze on the spot. It is pretty common for people to come out of the interview saying "I only answered 2 questions that are the normal med student interview question (why DO? why med school? why dcom?) with the rest of the time being spent chatting about hobby/sport/favorite book/cool thing."

I do recommend going to the pizza dinner the night before, it's a good way to meet others and help chase the jitters away.
Thanks so much! I definitely plan on being at the meet and greet!

Thanks!

He was impressed with the faculty and the atmosphere (being a good balance of relaxed and accessible). I would keep in mind he was a PA student at the time, so I cannot presume this applies directly but I would presume at least some of it does.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my email to interview this past Tuesday :) I'm really excited to interview here and I love that they include spouses and family to join in on the day:) Does anyone have any tips for interview day? I would greatly appreciate any advice!

I got an II too! When are you interviewing?

I found a serious mistake on my secondary application. My whole essay is about my experience and my motivation to serve in an underserved area which was perfectly aligned with school's mission but I did some stupid mistake. Somehow, I missed to check mark on those three 'Possible interests' questions right below the essay. As a result, every questions asking about 'interested in primary care or underserved area?' is NO. I don't know what I should do. I don't know if they are even going to read my essay.

Last edited:
I found a serious mistake on my secondary application. My whole essay is about my experience and my motivation to serve in an underserved area which was perfectly aligned with school's mission but I did some stupid mistake. Somehow, I missed to check mark on those three 'Possible interests' questions right below the essay. As a result, every questions asking about 'interested in primary care or underserved area?' is NO. I don't what I should do. I do know if they are even going to read my essay.
I'm thinking those questions must not have been on the actual application. They are all showing "no" on mine as well, and can bet your ass I would've selected them had I noticed them. Choosing no basically says that you could care less about their mission.

I found a serious mistake on my secondary application. My whole essay is about my experience and my motivation to serve in an underserved area which was perfectly aligned with school's mission but I did some stupid mistake. Somehow, I missed to check mark on those three 'Possible interests' questions right below the essay. As a result, every questions asking about 'interested in primary care or underserved area?' is NO. I don't what I should do. I do know if they are even going to read my essay.
Don't worry about it. The "no" answer is a software upgrade glitch and they are aware of it.

I called and they said they're still processing people's secondaries from July.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted mine long time ago and have not heard a word yet. (primary or secondary confirmation).

If you call the Admissions Office, they can tell you what all they have received.

Man, I got a complete email on 8/8 but have no word about an II when it seems like this school had a pretty quick turn around for others :( I'm way to anxious for this process.

I interview here tomorrow! Anyone who has interviewed here in the past have any advice or tips for me?

Also, anyone remember any questions they like to ask?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I interview here tomorrow! Anyone who has interviewed here in the past have any advice or tips for me?

Also, anyone remember any questions they like to ask?

There is an interview feedback resource on this site. You can see questions usually asked recently and over the years.

Okay, first impressions Post interview!

The school is awesome. Everyone is friendly, accommodating, and just all around nice people!

The interview was very laid back, the toughest questions was the first question where they had me answer "Why medicine and why LMU?" in one sentence. The next toughest was "what is your greatest failure"The rest of it was pretty laid back! My interview lasted about 40-45 minutes (the average was 20-30, so that's a good sign I guess lol) and it was mostly my interviewers getting to know me as a person. I had no ethical questions, but others did, my interviewers were interested in how I spend my time an how I will cope with stress in my medical Education.

The campus is very up to date and impressive for such a small private school. Due to the large class size I was disappointed to hear that on mandatory lectures they may have to divide the class up into multiple rooms and stream the lecture. The anatomy lab was awesome and fairly advanced.

The students were friendly, and the faculty was very knowledgeable and genuinely happy to be there. I was disappointed to hear that the dean over the medical academics would not tell me the COMLEX average, only the pass rate.

Interview stress 2/10

Facilities 8.5/10

Faculty 8/10

Student happiness 9/10

EDIT: one thing I should mention, we were told before the interview that we would not have a decision until the end of the month because the dean is in China. So basically anyone that interviews in September will be waiting until the last week for news

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

The school is awesome. Everyone is friendly, accommodating, and just all around nice people!

The interview was very laid back, the toughest questions was the first question where they had me answer "Why medicine and why LMU?" in one sentence. The next toughest was "what is your greatest failure"The rest of it was pretty laid back! My interview lasted about 40-45 minutes (the average was 20-30, so that's a good sign I guess lol) and it was mostly my interviewers getting to know me as a person. I had no ethical questions, but others did, my interviewers were interested in how I spend my time an how I will cope with stress in my medical Education.

The campus is very up to date and impressive for such a small private school. Due to the large class size I was disappointed to hear that on mandatory lectures they may have to divide the class up into multiple rooms and stream the lecture. The anatomy lab was awesome and fairly advanced.

The students were friendly, and the faculty was very knowledgeable and genuinely happy to be there. I was disappointed to hear that the dean over the medical academics would not tell me the COMLEX average, only the pass rate.

Interview stress 2/10

Facilities 8.5/10

Faculty 8/10

Student happiness 9/10

EDIT: one thing I should mention, we were told before the interview that we would not have a decision until the end of the month because the dean is in China. So basically anyone that interviews in September will be waiting until the last week for news

Hey OMS 1 here at LMU. Just to address your concern about mandatory lecture and splitting the room up to accommodate the class size, from my experience so far with the mandatory lectures we have not been split up. We have all been able to fit into the lecture hall so far in the Hamiltons math and science building (the building with the anatomy lab). As first years our lectures for the most part will be in that building. OMS 2 can correct me if I am wrong. Maybe second year they split the class up because the classrooms in the DCOM building are smaller. Anyways I hope you enjoyed your time at the interview, and wish you the best of luck.

Hey OMS 1 here at LMU. Just to address your concern about mandatory lecture and splitting the room up to accommodate the class size, from my experience so far with the mandatory lectures we have not been split up. We have all been able to fit into the lecture hall so far in the Hamiltons math and science building (the building with the anatomy lab). As first years our lectures for the most part will be in that building. OMS 2 can correct me if I am wrong. Maybe second year they split the class up because the classrooms in the DCOM building are smaller. Anyways I hope you enjoyed your time at the interview, and wish you the best of luck.

I had very few complaints. The building I was talking about was the lecture hall for the OMS 2 students in the med school building. They said that in the small occasion that everyone shows up to lecture that there can be overflow

Just about to submit my secondary.

Is anyone else a recipient of AACOMAS' financial assistance? I indicated that I was (only option in the drop-down menu was AACOMAS2017), but I was still directed to pay. I figured I'd ask SDN instead of e-mailing them, since weekend plus Labor Day = probably no responses from LMU.

Should I pay first and ask questions later, or should I wait until I can actually reach them for an answer?

I had very few complaints. The building I was talking about was the lecture hall for the OMS 2 students in the med school building. They said that in the small occasion that everyone shows up to lecture that there can be overflow

Lol, you think everyone shows up for lecture. The only time that many students will attend is for TBLs and mandatory events. Then, it is possible for all students to fit into one lecture hall. Yes, some will have to stand if they are late but the school did bring in extra chairs. The overflow is something around 30 students? Or around there. If you text your friends and say "hey let's sit together in class" and at least show up before 7:59, you'll be sitting together.

Is anyone else a recipient of AACOMAS' financial assistance? I indicated that I was (only option in the drop-down menu was AACOMAS2017), but I was still directed to pay. I figured I'd ask SDN instead of e-mailing them, since weekend plus Labor Day = probably no responses from LMU.

Should I pay first and ask questions later, or should I wait until I can actually reach them for an answer?

I had the AACOMAS fee waiver. When they ask for a promo code, put down AACOMAS2017. That's what I did, and it didn't ask me to pay. Hope that helps!

Lol, you think everyone shows up for lecture. The only time that many students will attend is for TBLs and mandatory events. Then, it is possible for all students to fit into one lecture hall. Yes, some will have to stand if they are late but the school did bring in extra chairs. The overflow is something around 30 students? Or around there. If you text your friends and say "hey let's sit together in class" and at least show up before 7:59, you'll be sitting together.

Well I know it wouldn't be a normal thing for there the be lecture overflow lol other than that, it is a great school

I wouldn't pay first because I don't think they do refund

Thanks for replying, guys!

I had the AACOMAS fee waiver. When they ask for a promo code, put down AACOMAS2017. That's what I did, and it didn't ask me to pay. Hope that helps!

Yeah, I put the AACOMAS2017 option too, in the drop-down menu, but it still prompted me to input a credit card number after everything.

I wouldn't pay first because I don't think they do refund

Hmm, ok. Guess I'll try to get in touch with their admissions office.

Oh I see. I actually did that, and then it gave me a box to put promo code, so I typed in AACOMAS2017 again. I guess just contact them and see what they say.

Interview stress 2/10

Facilities 8.5/10

Faculty 8/10

Student happiness 9/10

Is there a panel of interviewers? And is it just one 30-min interview?

Is there a panel of interviewers? And is it just one 30-min interview?

One 30 minute interview of two people. Usually one clinical faculty and one academic faculty. It's really not stressful at all

One 30 minute interview of two people. Usually one clinical faculty and one academic faculty. It's really not stressful at all

Gotcha. Thanks a lot for sharing your interview feedback! It helps to relax a bit.

Pre-Interview Rejection, weird. I have 4 other II's so did not expect this from here.

Cancelled my interview here. Good luck to you all!

I'm guessing no one has heard back after their interviews last week?