Lincoln Memorial Uni. Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilon09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wanted to connect with people that applied to LMU's Post Bac Medical Science Program (PMSP). Someone on SDN mentioned that Fall 2010 is the program's first class and I am a bit worried about entering a program that has absolutely no feedback, etc. The one thing I liked was that according to the LMU website, "The Program offers a guaranteed interview to LMU’s Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine for students who complete the PMSP program in good standing." Other than that however, I don't know much else about it. Thanks for the help.

Did you get accepted? I would have started a thread for LMU's post bac program but I didnt know how to! ha:oops: what did you want to know? I am for sure going to be apart of LMU's first post bac class...and I am super stoked! yay LMU!!!! I think the program is going to be great!

Oh and the thing that really had me sold on the post bac program is that we take gross anat with the first yr med students. If we do well, we get credit for it at LMU. I think this is wonderful!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Oh yay! congrats!!! I was accepted in October last yr...haven't recieved my packet yet! I figured once it got closer I would. Ms. Martin told me if one does well in gross anatomy, they will get credit for it and not have to take it the first yr. She said it would give us the chance to focus on other areas of study our first yr. I have talked to like 3 others that have been accepted. Don't be nervous! It will be great! Do you think you are going to do the program?

Hey Guys - I just got into LMU's PMSP program today. I'm a little nervous seeing as how we would be the first entering class. I like that we would get an interview at the DO school, but that does not mean at all that we would get into the medical school.

I also got into The Commonwealth Medical College's MBS program. Its the program's 2nd year. Any thoughts about what I should do?

Last edited:
Though I have no investement in LMU-DCOM nor their program, I thought I'd point out a few things that stand out to me in both pros and cons.

By being able to transfer credit if you choose to matriculate to their medical school class in the Fall, it's a strong statement that the class with which you are transferring credit in (anatomy) is identical to the class taken as an MS1. You can also assume that the medical school will place heavy emphasis on your grade coming out of one of the two main basic core science classes that MS1s will take. That said, this is not unique to LMU-DCOM alone but is also found in other osteopathic programs such as KCOM MBS (3-5 medical courses you can transfer credit) as well as NSU and others that do not come to mind at the moment.

Secondly, LMU-DCOM is an up and coming osteopathic school even though it is so new. I am not up to date on my knowledge but is LMU still provisionally accredited and has yet to graduate it's first medical school class? Anyway, my point is not so much the school itself but the prototype class for the post-bacc program. Take for instance PCOM-Georgia when they first opened their MBS program or CCOM's MBS program. Students from both programs who were apart of the 1st to 2nd MBS class openly admitted heavy disorganization, some inevitable administrative conflicts and some promises unfulfilled (late LOR from committees, late interviews, etc). This is not to dissuade you nor to paint things in a negative light, it's something to simply take into consideration. VCOM's post bacc also had this problem where they didn't reserve enough seats and the vast majority of the class had to sit on the waiting list but I think I read that most have been accepted at this point.

Best of luck and I have no doubt that should you succeed in this program, you will be viewed positively no matter where you apply. Update us at SDN on how things go/information so we have a better picture of how things shake out as this is a new program.

I am going to be living in the Mars apartments. I heard Dr. Leo wants the post bac students to live together if possible. I think this is awesome bc were all going to be in this together! I sent my deposit like last week.

Neo-Where do you want to go to school? I would go to the school that my heart was set on. Somebody told me to apply to med school and apply to my top choice post bac program. LMU is my top choice. So I decided to apply to their post bac program....but...come to LMU so we can be buddies!:)

I am going to email Ms. Martin to find out if we need to submit another app for med school. Im not 100% sure how everything is going to work. Ill let you guys know whats up as soon as I get an answer.

i was told that they were going to accept about 25-30 students. They told me this in October...i dont know if things changed but I hope it still around that number bc i think its great to have a smaller size...more one on one.

I just got accepted into the program as well. Congrats to all of you who have been accepted to LMU post-bacc :) I'm still waiting to hear back from Western MSMS program. I'm debating whether or not to attend the program here at LMU. Western has a linkage program with their medical school, this program only offers a guaranteed interview. Also, there's a gap year after finishing the program. I think Dr. Vanderpool mentioned last week that the class this year will have about 40 students. How's the housing works? Are we going to live on-campus or off-campus? if it's off-campus, how are we gonna get to the school? is there any free-service shuttle? Also, does anybody know how's the school financial aid work? coz I absolutely can't afford the program out of my own pocket :(

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear back from a bunch of places like Loyola, Drexel, Tulane and USF's post-bac programs.

CHOCCHIP1207 - I'd like to get into a medical school. ANY medical school ! : )

Unfortunately, I went to a very difficult college - Northwestern - and science classes were all on a curve. So, 10% of students got A's, and if you didnt beat the curve (half the class) you automatically get a C, D or F. It was really frustrating that I would study my ***** off, but because other kids did too, and knew 1 more question on tests than I did, I got C's in science classes.

It is my goal to ultimately help others. If LMU-PMSP can help me get into a medical school with my 26 MCAT and 3.06 GPA (not science), then I'll definitely do it!

By the way, what did you mean when you said that there is a year between applying and getting in? We cant apply this upcoming cycle for the DO program at LMU for entrance in the 2011 class?

Hi everyone! I was accepted into this program also. I just received my letter two days ago. I have not 100% decided if I will attend the program or not.

Have any of you ever visited the school? I have and it's really nice. I'm not too fond of it being in the middle of nowhere, however that wouldn't be a factor in my decision. Everyone that I spoke with at the school has been nothing but kind and helpful in answering any questions.

Also, I wasn't aware that we would have to do a gap yr. Where did you guys get that information from? That's kinda a big deal.

Thanks!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually spoke with Dr. Vanderpool (the post-bacc program's director), and she said we will have to apply for medical school in summer 2011 (right before finishing the post-bacc program). This means that we will actually attend medical school in 2012 (if everything goes smoothly).

I actually spoke with Dr. Vanderpool (the post-bacc program's director), and she said we will have to apply for medical school in summer 2011 (right before finishing the post-bacc program). This means that we will actually attend medical school in 2012 (if everything goes smoothly).

really...a gap yr? i asked ms. martin and she said there wasn't. but vanderpool is the program director so ofcourse she would know. I was going to start working on my app for the next yr. I dont like this gap yr thing...ehh...i dont like it at all! then that means id have to move back home for a yr...work...and then just wait to get into med school. now i dont know what to think! boo!!!:(

Last edited:
very true. im still going to do the program...if i have to wait a yr im going on a cruise! you guys should come too!:D

So did anyone else get a call from financial aid? I was told the program would cost approx. 24K for the yr not including housing but on the website it says tuition for the yr will be $15,120. Maybe they gave me an incorrect number?

If the tuition is 15,120 then the 24,000 number is probably the Cost of Attendance (COA)

Hey, I was just accepted to LMU's post bac program! I just want to connect with a few people who are also going to be in the program with me this fall! My wife and I are coming from Minneapolis MN and are currently looking for housing off campus. does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey, I was just accepted to LMU's post bac program! I just want to connect with a few people who are also going to be in the program with me this fall! My wife and I are coming from Minneapolis MN and are currently looking for housing off campus. does anyone have any suggestions?

oh yay! welcome! on the lmu dcom page some ppl posted bout housing. im coming from texas.

Hey, has anyone heard anything from LMU yet about program details? I have looked up everything I can about the program and the surrounding area on the internet and there is not much. I spoke with the housing director yesterday about links to local apartment rentals and she said you wont find very much. Small rural town = few off campus housing details/ options.

I'm applying to the LMU post bacc program right now and I'm just waiting on my transcripts to arrive. I've heard nothing but great things about this school and I wold love to end there for Med school. I am currently deployed in Iraq as a Medical Service Corp Officer and I'm getting the opportunity to shadow a great D.O. while here on deployment. The more and more I see, the more and more I want to attend a D.O. program. I graduated from a big state school with a 2.7 and have recently brought that up to a 2.9 with more coursework. I have a 3.5 GPA in my last 35 hours of coursework and that includes several hard sciences like Microbiology and A & P 1 and 2. I know the GPA you need is a 2.5 but for anyone that has been accepted, have your scores been close to mine or what did it take for you to get into the post bacc program? This program looks phenomenal. I hope the class is not full by the time my transcripts get there. Congrats to everyone who was accepted and I hope I get to see you in class this Fall!

Just for curiousity's sake, is it for sure that after completing the program, they require you to take a glide year by applying after the program is completed and not during so the soonest you can matriculate if you start the program of Fall 2010 is Fall of 2012?

Just for curiousity's sake, is it for sure that after completing the program, they require you to take a glide year by applying after the program is completed and not during so the soonest you can matriculate if you start the program of Fall 2010 is Fall of 2012?

Correct. If you start this year (fall 2010 class) you aren't allowed to apply to LMU's DO school until summer 2011 for the fall 2012 entering class. One of the main reasons I am NOT attending LMU even though I've been accepted.

Last edited:
I'm positive it only applies for LMU-DCOM itself and that the glide year is a requirement as part of the guaranteed interview contract. They want to see your entire year's grades upon completion before offering an interview and that this would not prevent you from applying elsewhere on AACOMAS.

As for the accreditation, that would probably be me, and it's not really a cause for concern. It simply means the school is given a provisionary accreditation by the COCA since they are very new and have yet to graduate their first class. A thorough review will be conducted after they do graduate their first class and the COCA will decide whether or not they will give a full accreditation.

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/about/accreditation.shtml

DeBusk is simply in the same category as the other provisionarily accredited schools that have recently opened such as RVU, PNWU, WC-COM, and the other medical schools. By all indications according to their boards and initial reviews by the AOA, they should have no problem in gaining a full accreditation. They opened in 2007, making 2011 the date for their first medical students to graduate.

That said, the forced lag year to apply back into DeBusk according to program policy (if that is true), is somewhat peculiar. LECOM has a 1 year program as well but the way they get around the glide year (they do want to see the full year's grades as well unlike a few others) they give conditional acceptances which can be revoked if you fall below the contract requirements. I'd like to hear more on this if possible, they might change the policy?

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! I just received my acceptance to the program and I am excited yet aprehensive at the same time after reading this thread :p I hope that they send us our information packets soon so we can have more of our questions answered!

Also, I called housing as well and was told the same thing as chilon09 regarding the need for a car since housing (Mars Apartments) are about a mile or so away from campus. The fact that the don't have a shuttle is unfortunate but apparently there is plently of parking on campus and near the apartments so at least that's good.

I'm applying to the LMU post bacc program right now and I'm just waiting on my transcripts to arrive. I've heard nothing but great things about this school and I wold love to end there for Med school. I am currently deployed in Iraq as a Medical Service Corp Officer and I'm getting the opportunity to shadow a great D.O. while here on deployment. The more and more I see, the more and more I want to attend a D.O. program. I graduated from a big state school with a 2.7 and have recently brought that up to a 2.9 with more coursework. I have a 3.5 GPA in my last 35 hours of coursework and that includes several hard sciences like Microbiology and A & P 1 and 2. I know the GPA you need is a 2.5 but for anyone that has been accepted, have your scores been close to mine or what did it take for you to get into the post bacc program? This program looks phenomenal. I hope the class is not full by the time my transcripts get there. Congrats to everyone who was accepted and I hope I get to see you in class this Fall!

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have not taken the MCAT yet. I hope that doesn't hurt my chances. That's a great idea about the letter of intent. Is it really true that classes start in July and not August???

I have not taken the MCAT yet. I hope that doesn't hurt my chances. That's a great idea about the letter of intent. Is it really true that classes start in July and not August???

Regarding not taking the MCAT, well the website doesn't say that it's needed but again, maybe you can just explain your background and experiences and talk about how you think this program will help you. I mean you are in Iraq as a Medical Officer....that is AMAZING!!!!! You should definitely talk about that. Good luck!

Last edited:
For everyone that had concerns about tuition, this is what I found out:

Tuition: $8100 per semester ($16,200 for the year)
Tech fee (incl. laptop fee): $375 per semester.
Health Insurance: not sure about the cost since you can have this waived if you already have health insurance
Parking: $30 (one time fee charged only in the fall semester)
Housing: $6000 for the year (for 3 bedroom en suite)

So total for the year (tuition + housing + above fees): ~ $23,000.
This does not include cost of food and books though.

Hope this helps.

Has anybody heard anything new lately? I tried calling Dr Vanderpool to make sure that they received my deposit but she's never in her office when I call.

At first I was really concerned about the gap yr but now, not so much. I guess it's not the end of the world if we have to wait a yr. Although, I did speak to Robin in admissions and she stated that if all goes well in the program and we get accepted to the medical school, there would be no gap yr (not to discredit anything any of u have said in regards to having a gap yr, just letting everyone know what I was told today). So, I don't know what to believe.

Either way, I'm excited!!!

Hey everyone, I am really confused now. I thought classes start July 30th, someones post says June 30th. I have not heard anything from the school and I have sent emails and left messages. Does anyone have a better answer or know when we are going to get information??? If classes start June 30th then getting financial aid, finding a place to live and moving down has just become very difficult. Let me know what the buzz is out there!!

Hey everyone, I am really confused now. I thought classes start July 30th, someones post says June 30th. I have not heard anything from the school and I have sent emails and left messages. Does anyone have a better answer or know when we are going to get information??? If classes start June 30th then getting financial aid, finding a place to live and moving down has just become very difficult. Let me know what the buzz is out there!!

Hey! I am so sorry! I typed June 30th by mistake. I meant July 30th. I have since edited this on my post. Anatomy starts on July 30th and the rest of our classes start on August 18th. If you can't get a hold of the program director, you can always talk to someone in Financial Aid or even Housing because I guess they all went to a meeting about the program and the change in the start date.

Hello post bac buddies!:D i got two packets in the mail for the program. so if you didn't get yours yet, it will come soon! woo i can't wait to start school!!!:)

Does anyone know what the MCAT requirement is in order to successfully matriculate into LMU-DCOM via this program? I called DCOM and they said an MCAT of 24 is considered competitive but I am wondering if getting lower than that still gaurantees an interview, in addition to maintaining the 3.0 GPA, if we do the post-bac at LMU?

Can somebody please share about the housing and financial aid if you already got the information package :)..I haven't received mine yet. really confused as of what to do now. got no information whatsoever other than the school's website. :confused:

Also, for those of you who are coming from out of state, are you guys planning to just drive there or ship your car?

Is this program going to be helpful toward MD schools as well?

Thanks

well ill be living in mars apts...its like 500 a month with two other ppl...we get our own room and bathroom. move in is the 27th and orientation starts the 28th. lmu gave me 15000 roughly to take out in loans...so the rest im going to have to take out with other loans...sallie mae or wells fargo...which ever one gives me the better interest rate. im shipping my vehicle to tn from texas:)

they assigned me two classes on top of gross...which is 8 hrs. i got micro physio-3 hrs and molecular genetics-3 hrs. total of 14 hrs for the semester.

anybody plan on taking the mcat before the mcat prep class in the summer?

dont know about it being helpful for md programs.

Can somebody please share about the housing and financial aid if you already got the information package :)..I haven't received mine yet. really confused as of what to do now. got no information whatsoever other than the school's website. :confused:

Also, for those of you who are coming from out of state, are you guys planning to just drive there or ship your car?

Is this program going to be helpful toward MD schools as well?

Thanks

Does anyone know what we are supposed to get on the MCAT? Is there an MCAT minimum? I talked to DCOM and I was told a competitive MCAT score is a 24. However, our guaranteed interview is based on maintaining a 3.0 GPA but I did not see a MCAT minimum requirement. Does anyone know anything in terms of the MCAT requirement?

Last edited:
they don't really say anything about the MCAT requirement. so I'm not sure if they have a min MCAT score to get an interview for their med school.

Hi chochip, is taking the MCAT before summer will be helpful? and also, i'm not sure how much time we have to study for it since we'll be taking science classes in the program. i doubt that we'll have some extra time to study for the MCAT before summer. are we getting any school break during the semester?

I think you need a 20+ MCAT but their main focus is on students getting that 3.0 GPA. Does anyone know how they grade/test? We take Anatomy with med students so do we have the same exams? Are they shelf exams? Do we dissect and/or also have to learn anatomy of the entire body or will we have to know less information since it's a post-bac and not medical school? I know other post-bacs only require their post-bac students to learn anatomy of the torso, etc but not the extremities. Does anyone know? Thank you.

Last edited:
well if i want to start med school next fall i kind of have no choice but to take the mcat by jan...so i will be studying for that also...just have to stay very focussed and not waste time. ive known people that worked full time, went to school, and had to study for the mcat...so i guess i have to do what i have to do. plus ive already taken the mcat so i know the format and what to expect. i know we get our Christmas vacation but thats all I know of. I really want to start med school in 2011 and not 2012. taking the mcat next summer means id have to wait to apply which i dont want to do:(

they don't really say anything about the MCAT requirement. so I'm not sure if they have a min MCAT score to get an interview for their med school.

Hi chochip, is taking the MCAT before summer will be helpful? and also, i'm not sure how much time we have to study for it since we'll be taking science classes in the program. i doubt that we'll have some extra time to study for the MCAT before summer. are we getting any school break during the semester?

Hi chocchip, so does it mean that you're filling out the aacomas application now? How do you know which school you're applying to for the aacomas list if you haven't retaken your MCAT?. Also, isn't that too late for the application to be considered by med school if you take your MCAT in january to apply for this year cycle? What do you think?

Hi chocchip, so does it mean that you're filling out the aacomas application now? How do you know which school you're applying to for the aacomas list if you haven't retaken your MCAT?. Also, isn't that too late for the application to be considered by med school if you take your MCAT in january to apply for this year cycle? What do you think?

i sent you a pm.:)