Lincoln Memorial Uni. Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
m

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just came across this program so I have a lot of questions.

1. Is it too late to apply to this program?

2. Those who gotten accepted, CONGRATS!!! do you mind sharing your stats?

3. GPA, sGPA, MCAT and/or GRE scores?

4. How many LORs are needed?

5. How full is the class?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

From what I picked up I think they average stats are around a 3.2ish and 23-24ish MCAT. Idk if they are still accepting students but I would email holly to try and figure that out. I think you need two from a professor, OR 1 from a committee (But that is in the application).

Applications are due by June 15th so you've still got two weeks. I got accepted with a 2.9s/3.3c gpa and a 23 MCAT. I had a committee LOR from my undergrad school that I used. I have no idea how full the class is but I was there yesterday talking with Holly and touring campus and she said there was still time for people to apply, so I'm assuming the class isn't full yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for answering my questions.

Which program did you apply for? Anatomical sciences or Biomedical sciences?

Hey everyone! I've been admitted for the fall. I know that someone made a Google+ group, but I think I'm going to make a Facebook group for all of us

Does anyone know the success rate of students doing MS in Anatomical Sciences and then getting into LMU DCOM? HELP !!!! Thank you.

Hey everyone! I've been admitted for the fall. I know that someone made a Google+ group, but I think I'm going to make a Facebook group for all of us

Did you end up making a Facebook group and if so can you post a link?

Also, does anyone know how we should list this program in AACOMAS?

Did you end up making a Facebook group and if so can you post a link?

Also, does anyone know how we should list this program in AACOMAS?

I talked about it in my personal statement. I don't think you can list future events in AACOMAS so I found a convenient way by adding it in my PS.

I just got into the program and will be attending the anatomy boot camp. I was thinking about dorming but found a few places with monthly rents of $250-300/month for a room compared to the $700/month rent for a dorm room. Im looking for 3-4 roommates if anyone is interested to find a cheap living situation. PM me! :)

Got accepted! Can someone add me to the google group?
Also, a facebook group might be helpful, has anyone started it?

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone applying for anatomical sciences track?

Thanks, I figured out the google plus. Any news on the facebook group?

Last edited:
Hi....do I have a good shot at an acceptance into the Masters Program with a 22 MCAT?

Also, if accepted, would I need to re-take in order to get into the D.O. Program?

Thanks!

Hi....do I have a good shot at an acceptance into the Masters Program with a 22 MCAT?

Also, if accepted, would I need to re-take in order to get into the D.O. Program?

Thanks!
----

Hello! I was accepted with a 22 mcat :) You should apply!!

ALSO: I spoke with Holly and she said to add LMU-DCOM to your med school application and she will give the school our names so they will know. But I would recommend starting your med school application asap.

Thanks!

After speaking with Holly and other students I think it is based on individual performance in the program + mcat score. So my guess would be that a higher MCAT score allows more breathing room for the program

Hi! I was also accepted and will be there in the fall! Nice to meet everyone!

Hey guys! I'm a former Masters Student from this past year (Anatomical Sciences) and am an OMS-I starting this fall at DCOM. I see that there have been a lot of unanswered questions about the Masters Program for a while now so I'm gonna do my best to start answering whatever you guys want to know -- fire away!

Congrats to those of you who have been accepted and are coming to Harrogate -- you won't regret it! And for those of you who haven't been accepted or are contemplating another Post-Bac -- do whatever you can to get into LMU's Masters Program. Simply put, this is the place to be if your goal is to be accepted to medical school.

-mosak

Last edited:
Does anyone know the success rate of students doing MS in Anatomical Sciences and then getting into LMU DCOM? HELP !!!! Thank you.

Pretty much every Anatomical Sciences student was accepted....can't think of anyone who wasn't. For the most part, Anatomical Sciences was composed of students who performed relatively well in the fall semester, especially in MGA (A or possibly B), so it should be no surprise that all of us were accepted.

Pretty much every Anatomical Sciences student was accepted....can't think of anyone who wasn't. For the most part, Anatomical Sciences was composed of students who performed relatively well in the fall semester, especially in MGA (A or possibly B), so it should be no surprise that all of us were accepted.

---

Thank you for answering our questions! What is the main difference between anatomical and biomedical? Do you have advice for us students? What should we expect starting school here?

---

Thank you for answering our questions! What is the main difference between anatomical and biomedical? Do you have advice for us students? What should we expect starting school here?
1) Anatomical vs Biomedical:

In theory, they're both the same thing -- it's your trial run at getting into medical school. To the administration/faculty you're all the same (they do not hold any one track in higher regard over another), and we're all one big happy Masters Degree family that hang out and study together.

In practice, we just have some differences in classes (mostly Spring semester). Keep in mind that last year was the first year of the Masters Program. All of us were "Biomedical Professions" by default, and it wasn't until the end of the fall semester that we had the option to apply to switch to Anatomical Sciences.

Fall semester, everyone takes Medical Gross Anatomy (MGA) alongside OMS-I's as well as a 1-credit Colloquium course. Some students (especially those lacking strong background in the sciences) were placed in undergraduate biochem and/or genetics. Others (especially biochem/chem/bio majors) were placed in Medical Histology alongside OMS-I's. Some people took Medical Ethics, some didn't. Etc etc

Spring semester things got a bit shaken up. Everyone is placed in another Colloquium course and Medical Neuroanatomy (alongside OMS-I's) is open to everyone who did well in MGA, but pretty much everything else is different. Biomedical Professions students are placed in Graduate Biochem & Graduate Genetics. These 2 courses have their pros and cons. Anatomical Science students were placed in 2 unique courses: "Methods of Curriculum Development & Teaching Human Gross Anatomy" (they gotta come up with a new name...) as well as "Intro to Radiographic Anatomy & Clinical Imaging."
:banana:If you want the TL;DR answer to your question: Biomedical Professions is harder but can potentially prepare you better for 1st year of medical school. Anatomical Sciences is less challenging but you learn more about Anatomy than you ever thought you'd need.

FYI: this is merely my experience from last year and things might change depending on the administration's discretion (will Anatomical Sciences be the more challenging track next year? Will professors/teaching styles/exam formats change? etc.)
2) Advice for you students:

Oh yeah, I've got tons of advice for you guys. But it's getting late and I'm lazy so I guess you guys are just gonna have to ask the right questions :shifty:

But for now, I'll leave you with the most important piece of advice. I see so many posts about "if my MCAT is lower than a 6 are they gonna make me retake it" or "omg gimme ur stats and ill give u mines," etc. Guys, if you're accepted to this program then don't freak out over MCAT or GPA comparisons. LMU-DCOM is going to work with you once you're in the program; they truly want to see you do well. All you have to do is hold up your end of the bargain: get an A in MGA and all your other silly problems will go away. (Ok i'm pretty sure I accidentally just presented my advice to you in the form a rhyme...woops/sweet)
3) What should we expect starting school here:

Upon your arrival to Harrogate, TN you will absolutely fall in love with all of the wonders this quaint, charming town has to offer. Nestled in the mountains of Cumberland Gap, you and your new-found friends won't be able to resist the urge to take a quick study break to frolic through the beautiful trails on your way up to the Tri-Point peak, which simultaneously overlooks the great states of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia. You'll find it stunning, and will realize how blessed you are to have the opportunity to study medicine and chase your dreams in such a beautiful part of the country...

...but then 2 months will go by and your "new-found friends" are stealing the last awesome study room in MANS with the big window and plasma screen tv. It's the week before block exams and all you and everyone else can think about is how you can't wait to head to Knoxville as soon as the exams are over because there's pretty much nothing to do in Harrogate...

But on a more serious note -- this is not a cut-throat competitive environment, and everyone is actually here to help everyone else. Just check out the DCOM class of 2017 FB page and see how much students share study guides, tips, etc. Expect an awesome LMU family and a great experience, but be ready to get to work from day one.
Alright it's almost 4am and I've rambled enough -- hope some of that helped!

-mosak

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
After speaking with Holly and other students I think it is based on individual performance in the program + mcat score. So my guess would be that a higher MCAT score allows more breathing room for the program

This is correct. If you're worried about a low MCAT, it's not the end of the road for you -- provided you do well in the program! Straight A's is definitely doable, the occasional B is ok. You just don't want to give the admissions committee any reason to doubt you by combining a low MCAT with C's in the program.

If your MCAT is high but undergrad GPA is low, you're golden if you do well here. Good performance in the program essentially erases your past GPA as far as DCOM is concerned.

Reactions: 2 users
thank you so much for your contribution, mosak06! I can't wait to start :) Good luck with 2nd year!

What do you recommend for living situations? I saw the housing application which gives us a choice between living on campus or about 1-2 miles away (which has a gym available). Or do you recommend living off campus for cheaper rents??

ALSO FYI:

Mars apartments ( Dishwasher, gym, 1 mile away from campus) COSTS: $7280 for school year
Langley apartments ( Gym, on campus) COSTS: $6520 for school year

ALSO FYI:

Mars apartments ( Dishwasher, gym, 1 mile away from campus) COSTS: $7280 for school year
Langley apartments ( Gym, on campus) COSTS: $6520 for school year

Thanks for the info! I talked to the residential director and he told me the Langley apartments are all filled up. Do you guys know if there is a bus that takes students from Mars to campus? I don't mind the walk but that would be nice to have

What do you recommend for living situations? I saw the housing application which gives us a choice between living on campus or about 1-2 miles away (which has a gym available). Or do you recommend living off campus for cheaper rents??

For your 1 year as a Masters student, I recommend one of the university housing options. As @KDVMSPH mentioned, these include the 3bdrm/3bath apartments in Langley (on campus) and Mars/Lee (1.5 miles off campus, right next to the "University Inn"). The University Inn is full of tiny 1 bedroom studio apartments, if that's your thing.

Although pricey, they were worth it my Masters year: they come fully furnished, include all utilities, cable, internet -- everything. So you have that much less to worry about (just pay it once a semester along with tuition and you're good to go) and can devote all your time/worries to studying since that's all that matters. Plus, all the Masters/DO/some PA & nursing students live together here so you're in good company.

For your time as a DO student, you'll probably want to move off-campus to save money. That's what I did. After a year with the Masters students, I found the ones I want to room with for 2 years and am now much more comfortable putting the time/energy to buy furniture and sign a lease for the long haul.

Hey guys! Just accepted to the MS program at LMU today! Excited to start in the Fall with all of you! Is there a facebook group for the class? Thanks!

Thank you! Question @mosak06 ... after the 2 years, where are medical rotations? I know the hospitals are limited in the area..where do most students spend year 3 and 4?

Thank you! Question @mosak06 ... after the 2 years, where are medical rotations? I know the hospitals are limited in the area..where do most students spend year 3 and 4?

The following is a list of the locations where DCOM students are assigned for CORE rotations during 3rd year, the major ones being Memphis & Knoxville: http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/sites.shtml

Keep in mind that once CORE rotations are completed, students mostly have selective and elective rotations left -- and DCOM is very flexible on where you complete these. You can pretty much do elective rotations anywhere in the world and in any field you wish. So 4th year you're not stuck in the assigned CORE rotation site; a lot of students go back to their hometown for electives.

The following is a list of the locations where DCOM students are assigned for CORE rotations during 3rd year, the major ones being Memphis & Knoxville: http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/sites.shtml

Keep in mind that once CORE rotations are completed, students mostly have selective and elective rotations left -- and DCOM is very flexible on where you complete these. You can pretty much do elective rotations anywhere in the world and in any field you wish. So 4th year you're not stuck in the assigned CORE rotation site; a lot of students go back to their hometown for electives.
----
Perfect! thank you!! @mosak06

Hey guys,

How long does it take for the admissions office to send a "complete" e-mail confirmation from the time you sent your application in? It's been a week for me and still haven't heard anything. Thanks.

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could tell me what the best way to get from the airport to LMU? I've spoken to a few cab companies they've all said it'll cost $140+ just to get a one way trip to LMU

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could tell me what the best way to get from the airport to LMU? I've spoken to a few cab companies they've all said it'll cost $140+ just to get a one way trip to LMU

I've been trying to find out the same thing myself, and from what Holly and other students said the best way is to rent a car from Knoxville airport and drive to Harrogate. Can drop off the car in Middlesboro. One company gave me a quote for $85 dollars. What day are you flying in? Maybe we can carpool! PM me

Anybody know when Mars/Lee housing assignments will be sent out and if you can move in early?

According to the residence life you can move in anytime after July 2. I was waiting for my housing assignment also, but I ended up calling the residence life office and they confirmed my assignment over the phone. Therefore, I would recommend just calling them.

According to the residence life you can move in anytime after July 2. I was waiting for my housing assignment also, but I ended up calling the residence life office and they confirmed my assignment over the phone. Therefore, I would recommend just calling them.

Thanks! I ended up getting my room assignment, however, I was told by Turner Bowling you can't move in until the 25th/26th.

Oh...I guess the specific dorms you are moving into have limitations. I'm moving into the University Inn apartments this Saturday.

Anyone still waiting to hear back? Or is it just me??

Just got accepted into LMU masters program in Anatomical sciences!!!! way tooo excited but feel lost at the same time ...holly said she will be sending me acceptance package tomorrow. I really need to get to know/ get hold of some people who got accepted this cycle. I am from Texas.

Need to know info on when to move
where to live! need an affordable place so people looking for roommate...please response.
Congrats and good luck everyone!!! :D :D

Hey Guys!

I'm gonna be arriving at the Knoxville on July 25th around 11:30 AM and then driving over to the dorms. Anyone interested in splitting the cost of a rental car? PM me!