Linked In and the Dean of Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedPhys

Moraxella mozzarella
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently the Dean of (Medical School) Admissions at a particular university added me on LinkedIn (I didn't even have a LinkedIn account, though?) I had to make an account to accept his invite. It was also targeted to my university email, rather than, say, the email I used to sign up for the MCAT. Looking at the other contacts he has, they're pretty legit (i.e. they don't seem fake, and they are all other professionals at that university or in the medical field).

Is this...normal? Granted, perhaps he knows of me since he knows someone who knows someone who knows one my parents ...but...just kind of confused by the whole thing.

Anyone else have had this happen to them?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

LinkedIn is notorious for sending invites to random people in your contacts list even if you didn't ask it to. Could have been just a mistake or that've assumed you had a linkedin account and just wanted to add you.

Wouldn't make too much of it

I see nothing wrong with it. A LinkedIn is a great thing to have. Accept the invite and build your profile? It's nice to have decent LinkedIn connections (it's how I came to shadow my first physician)

Members don't see this ad :)
Look up "phishing"

Hi all,

Recently the Dean of (Medical School) Admissions at a particular university added me on LinkedIn (I didn't even have a LinkedIn account, though?) I had to make an account to accept his invite. It was also targeted to my university email, rather than, say, the email I used to sign up for the MCAT. Looking at the other contacts he has, they're pretty legit (i.e. they don't seem fake, and they are all other professionals at that university or in the medical field).

Is this...normal? Granted, perhaps he knows of me since he knows someone who knows someone who knows one my parents ...but...just kind of confused by the whole thing.

Anyone else have had this happen to them?

Thanks,

Reactions: 1 user
Then look up "catfishin" That's how you'll win this one! :D