Linked Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sundaybrunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether prelim interviews that are "included" as part of the initial interview offer from your advanced program specialty are considered as your official prelim interview for the IM program (thereby allowing me to rank it for other non-linked specialty programs)? For example, if X Hospital Specialty Program has a linked prelim medicine program and you interview with the IM department at that time, does that "count" towards your prelim IM for other residency programs as well? Or should I anticipate a separate interview invite from the prelim IM? Would I only be allowed to rank it for X Hospital Specialty Program? Thoughts much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know whether prelim interviews that are "included" as part of the initial interview offer from your advanced program specialty are considered as your official prelim interview for the IM program (thereby allowing me to rank it for other non-linked specialty programs)? For example, if X Hospital Specialty Program has a linked prelim medicine program and you interview with the IM department at that time, does that "count" towards your prelim IM for other residency programs as well? Or should I anticipate a separate interview invite from the prelim IM? Would I only be allowed to rank it for X Hospital Specialty Program? Thoughts much appreciated!
It depends. Some linked prelims do not take any prelims outside of the linked programs. Others will have spots for advanced programs not affiliated. I'd just email the program coordinator of the prelim and ask if not apparent by website.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends. Some linked prelims do not take any prelims outside of the linked programs. Others will have spots for advanced programs not affiliated. I'd just email the program coordinator of the prelim and ask if not apparent by website.
Thank you!