Lions, Tigers and Bears: Vet School is a Real-Life Nightmare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, vet school is a nightmare. I spent so many years working my butt off to get here and now I am finally here and I hate it. Yes, I was expecting it to be hard work and that it wouldn't be "fun" but I wasn't expecting to completely despise it either. I hate studying, I hate lectures, I hate practicals. I miss being in the vet clinic. Lectures are not my thing; I don't really learn from them and I am expected to be in lectures for 8 or more hours a day. I still want to be a vet, but I want vet school to be over. I am sure that there have to be others that feel the same. So this is the support group for those of us that honestly can not stand vet school.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, vet school is a nightmare. I spent so many years working my butt off to get here and now i am finally here and i hate it. Yes, i was expecting it to be hard work and that it wouldn't be "fun" but i wasn't expecting to completely despise it either. I hate studying, i hate lectures, i hate practicals. I miss being in the vet clinic. Lectures are not my thing; i don't really learn from them and i am expected to be in lectures for 8 or more hours a day. I still want to be a vet, but i want vet school to be over. I am sure that there have to be others that feel the same. So this is the support group for those of us that honestly can not stand vet school.

amen

As someone about to graduate (landed a job, packed my apartment, and counting the days) let me tell you...

Well, people said crap to me like "it will go by so fast!", "you will miss the school SO much when you finally go"...

No! You are 100% right. Vet school blows. The truly sad part is, it doesn't have to. So many of the aspects that made the last 4 years the worst of my life didn't have to be the way they were. Whenever I/we tried to bring it to the administrations attention (to make it better for the next batch of students), we received such jewels as "Well, it builds character" or "but its always been that way..."

Sorry, but while it does get better, its all relative to the first few years of complete **** (in other words, the good times only feel like good times because the rest of your experiences there set the damn bar so low).

I did however receive two pleasures from vet school: Practicing the chosen career of my choice and the pleasure I will receive the first time someone from the alumni association tries to solicit $$ from me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't lend much support specifically related to vet school (obviously), but I feel for you guys. It makes me sad to read this. :(

Hugs x1000

Yes, vet school is a nightmare. I spent so many years working my butt off to get here and now I am finally here and I hate it. Yes, I was expecting it to be hard work and that it wouldn't be "fun" but I wasn't expecting to completely despise it either. I hate studying, I hate lectures, I hate practicals. I miss being in the vet clinic. Lectures are not my thing; I don't really learn from them and I am expected to be in lectures for 8 or more hours a day. I still want to be a vet, but I want vet school to be over. I am sure that there have to be others that feel the same. So this is the support group for those of us that honestly can not stand vet school.

:thumbup:
So ready for summer.

:thumbup:
So ready for summer.

I would be ready for summer too, except we are required to work during our breaks here. That is right, we have to gain husbandry experience during our time off. So instead of being done at the end of May, my break doesn't start until the middle of July. :mad:

I would be ready for summer too, except we are required to work during our breaks here. That is right, we have to gain husbandry experience during our time off. So instead of being done at the end of May, my break doesn't start until the middle of July. :mad:

Most of my class are taking on externships or some other type of vet related job too. I have an externship lined up, but at least working with animals is better than learning how their arterioles constrict in their kidneys.

Most of my class are taking on externships or some other type of vet related job too. I have an externship lined up, but at least working with animals is better than learning how their arterioles constrict in their kidneys.

I would love to do an externship or something, but I am stuck doing basic husbandry work... which involves usually living on the farm with the farmer and working for the farmer doing normal ever day tasks for free. I would love to do something that is actual vet work and not just husbandry crap. I have a feeling this summer is going to be filled with lots of cleaning up animal poo.

I would love to do an externship or something, but I am stuck doing basic husbandry work... which involves usually living on the farm with the farmer and working for the farmer doing normal ever day tasks for free. I would love to do something that is actual vet work and not just husbandry crap. I have a feeling this summer is going to be filled with lots of cleaning up animal poo.

Oh yea, that does not sound like fun. Maybe you will get to be on a goat farm. Baby goats are awesome.

That's one thing I'm not looking forward to in regards to a UK vet education. Through my pre-vet intern/volunteer work, I think I have over 1,500 hrs of husbandry and my own animals aren't included.

As far as your originally post, I've heard from many new graduates that they did not enjoy veterinary school. It was simply something they had to get through. Sorry to hear you're not happy. :(

That's one thing I'm not looking forward to in regards to a UK vet education. Through my pre-vet intern/volunteer work, I think I have over 1,500 hrs of husbandry and my own animals aren't included.

As far as your originally post, I've heard from many new graduates that they did not enjoy veterinary school. It was simply something they had to get through. Sorry to hear you're not happy. :(

I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that if you have the required hours already in a specific species, you can can petition to not have to do it. (whatever the correct word is, :laugh:)

Like if I went to a UK school, I would fill out the paperwork saying I already have so many years working with Dairy/Beef cattle and Swine.

I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that if you have the required hours already in a specific species, you can can petition to not have to do it. (whatever the correct word is, :laugh:)

Like if I went to a UK school, I would fill out the paperwork saying I already have so many years working with Dairy/Beef cattle and Swine.

I think you're right about being able to get exempt from certain areas if you have enough hours. I'm not sure what the process is to do that, and it might vary between the schools.

Also, we have a lot of people feeling this way in my class currently and quite a few are considering dropping out. I personally, don't feel like it's been too horrible yet (although I hear next year is brutal) so I'll get back to you on that next year.

Wish I knew something awesome to suggest to attempt to make it better for you.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can get up to 4 weeks of exemption from EMS. Two weeks of the husbandry has to be cattle and of the two weeks cattle, one of those weeks has to be UK dairy, so even all with all of your experience, you would still have to do one week of UK dairy EMS.

I was able to get the 2 weeks of horses and 2 weeks of cat and dog exempt, which left me with only 8 weeks EMS left to complete.

Not even admitted to vet school yet and this thread is making me hate life/hate undergrad finals even more

Exempt! That's the word I was looking for. Thank you. :laugh:

You can get up to 4 weeks of exemption from EMS. Two weeks of the husbandry has to be cattle and of the two weeks cattle, one of those weeks has to be UK dairy, so even all with all of your experience, you would still have to do one week of UK dairy EMS.

I was able to get the 2 weeks of horses and 2 weeks of cat and dog exempt, which left me with only 8 weeks EMS left to complete.

It's different at Glasgow. I had 8 weeks exemptions for pre clinical. And pre clinical no longer has to include everything like pigs and poultry. We are also allowed to do all of our EMS wherever we want, doesn't have to be UK based.

I'm sorry school is sucking so much for you DVMdream. I wish I could say I share your feelings, but overall, I have loved my experience...of course there have been days and weeks where I hate life, but the rest has been pretty great :( Hopefully clinical years will be better for you, when you can start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

I hate the stupid high school drama which I thought our class was so good at avoiding until I have somehow landed myself in the middle of some without doing anything...soo annoying!! I can't believe how people so smart can be so immature

Hopefully clinical years will be better for you, when you can start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

And hopefully, by then you will have answers and remedies to your medical issues, which are no doubt causing some of the hate towards vet school. (and rightly so! I wouldn't have been able to handle it if I were in your shoes. You are much stronger than I am!)

I hate the stupid high school drama which I thought our class was so good at avoiding until I have somehow landed myself in the middle of some without doing anything...soo annoying!! I can't believe how people so smart can be so immature

Before I left for vet school, my vet told me that vet school was going to be just like high school... and boy was he not joking. (I did not enjoy high school)

DVM, sorry about your husbandry rotations, I could not imagine spending my summer working with poultry :barf:

I hate about 90% of vet school.

LOATHE it.

The long days of boring lectures. The stupid exams. The smelly labs. The highly annoying classmates. The summer assignments they are forcing on us.

And I feel extremely guilty about it, because I tried for so long and so hard to get here...

But its ok. I still want to be a vet, I just have to suffer through 2 more years of class time, and then then clinics, which I think I will enjoy.

So, I am right there with you, DVMD.

By the end of this semester (3rd year...am I really a 4th year now?!), I despised vet school. We had 2 exams every week pretty much the entire semester. It sucked horribly, and by the end of it I really didn't even care anymore. Lectures + cram + exam = hate everything. This week we have started our clinical rotations--I have soft tissue surgery first. So far it hasn't been too bad--it definitely feels more "real life" and there are actual animals (yay!). The massive amounts of paperwork and the long hours will definitely suck, but at this point there is a tiny glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

So yes, you are not alone in thinking that vet school sucks. Hopefully clinic year will be better for you, but even if it's not, it's not the end of the road. I loved working with my vet at home, but that vs. vet school are two totally different worlds.

Hmmm. Not sure what to make of this. Is there any way to predict if I will hate vet school? Did everyone enjoy or hate their undergrad experiences? Or is that like comparing apples to snow tires?

For those that hate vet school, I gotta ask... did you like undergrad? I know undergrad and vet school are not the same and that the work load is very different but I'm just curious.

Hmmm. Not sure what to make of this. Is there any way to predict if I will hate vet school? Did everyone enjoy or hate their undergrad experiences? Or is that like comparing apples to snow tires?

I think I am just going to go in assuming I'll be miserable. That way, it can't be any worse than I'm expecting, only the same or better. :)

As far as apples and snow tires... they're both "round-ish." That's all I've got. :D

For those that hate vet school, I gotta ask... did you like undergrad? I know undergrad and vet school are not the same and that the work load is very different but I'm just curious.

haha ! we were thinking the same thing at the same time!

I think I am just going to go in assuming I'll be miserable. That way, it can't be any worse than I'm expecting, only the same or better. :)

As far as apples and snow tires... they're both "round-ish." That's all I've got. :D

haha they are! I'm going to assume the same, nice tactic. Despite frustrating moments, I love my undergrad, especially my school and teachers. I was imagining vet school to be like undergrad on steroids. I was hoping the subject material would ease the pain of constant studying...

I'm trying not to sound naive here so I apologize ahead of time if I'm coming off that way. I'm not at vet school yet so obviously I can't compare my experience to those who are. Did you guys expect this stuff before getting to vet school though? The most common complaints I'm seeing are lack of any free time, constant studying/cramming, not getting to see loved ones or do things outside vet med that you enjoy, constant exams, etc. Right now 15 hour days for me are the norm, not the exception and I get to see my friends about once a month. I haven't taken a vacation since my honeymoon two years ago and I never have any money. It's not fun but I wouldn't say that I hate it...

I'm trying not to sound naive here so I apologize ahead of time if I'm coming off that way. I'm not at vet school yet so obviously I can't compare my experience to those who are. Did you guys expect this stuff before getting to vet school though? The most common complaints I'm seeing are lack of any free time, constant studying/cramming, not getting to see loved ones or do things outside vet med that you enjoy, constant exams, etc. Right now 15 hour days for me are the norm, not the exception and I get to see my friends about once a month. I haven't taken a vacation since my honeymoon two years ago and I never have any money. It's not fun but I wouldn't say that I hate it...

the lack of free time sucks but was expected. Constant studying/cramming is pretty annoying and can wear you down. It simply does not compare until you are there. I worked 3 jobs and went to undergrad full time and I loved it. I did not love vet school. I got tired of the HS type actions, got tired of the administration's response to problems, etc.

I hate about 90% of vet school.

LOATHE it.

The long days of boring lectures. The stupid exams. The smelly labs. The highly annoying classmates. The summer assignments they are forcing on us.

And I feel extremely guilty about it, because I tried for so long and so hard to get here...

But its ok. I still want to be a vet, I just have to suffer through 2 more years of class time, and then then clinics, which I think I will enjoy.

So, I am right there with you, DVMD.

I think we are twinkies in this regard, lady. (Except I only have one year... woowowowoo)

You know it's coming, sure. I mean, of course you do. But it's a bit like bracing for a tidal wave. Go ahead... it's still gonna knock you flat on your ass.

And if you think you know studying 24/7 and camming... well... it's gonna get worse. It just will. Inevitably. So, yep. You just can't really prepare yourself for it - I'm not sure if there's a way to really prepare.

the lack of free time sucks but was expected. Constant studying/cramming is pretty annoying and can wear you down. It simply does not compare until you are there. I worked 3 jobs and went to undergrad full time and I loved it. I did not love vet school. I got tired of the HS type actions, got tired of the administration's response to problems, etc.

Like dyachei summarized pretty well, there is no way to prepare for vet school. I thought I did my research pretty good, and knew it would suck to an extent, but it is all the factors. The intensity of the long days, constant studying, endless exams, and the administration can make vet school a quite daunting and frustrating experience that wears you down.

We are nearing the end of semesters, so give us 4 more weeks, and I am sure we will all be in better moods :)

I worked 2 part-time jobs while going to school full-time plus 10+ hours of volunteering a week in the 6 years leading up to vet school so I was used to no time off and no social life. I thought vet school would be similar but I was wrong. It is different because you are doing the same thing all the time and you see the same people all the time. There is almost no break from it. At AVC I'm in lectures/labs for 8 hours a day then I go home and try to memorize it all. It isn't really learning, it is straight up memorizing. I find it very draining. I think most of my classmates feel the same way and are ready for the summer.

We are nearing the end of semesters, so give us 4 more weeks, and I am sure we will all be in better moods :)

Good point! I know I'm currently not all sunshine and roses right now :)

Thanks for the responses everyone. It's interesting to hear about your experiences. I can only imagine how I will feel this time next year!

You know it's coming, sure. I mean, of course you do. But it's a bit like bracing for a tidal wave. Go ahead... it's still gonna knock you flat on your ass.

And if you think you know studying 24/7 and camming... well... it's gonna get worse. It just will. Inevitably. So, yep. You just can't really prepare yourself for it - I'm not sure if there's a way to really prepare.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This.

There are aspects of vet school that I do enjoy - I have made some great friendships here and I am extremely grateful that I even have this opportunity. But still....it just wears you down.

And I liked undergrad a lot....but I don't think the two are really comparable, IMHO.

Ya know, I'm done with vet school classroom work. And honestly, it has flown by. There have been a few weeks where I've been miserable, but it really wasnt as bad as I was expecting. I've had a lot of fun and still managed to pass all my classes. Maybe I'm not the top of the class, but who cares! I've made it through family issues, personal issues, financial issues, etc. I've had days where i've been pretty miserable but looking back, it definitely could have been worse (Heck, I had bad days/weeks in undergrad too!) There have been high school moments, but it's not ALL like that unless you want it to be. It hasn't been that hard to avoid lots of drama moments. I've made more friends than I have enemies.

I will say, vet school was better when I wasn't working. I could spend my "Free" time having fun rather than heading in to work.

I'm hoping fourth year doesnt suck all that badly. But overall, I haven't hated vet school much more than I hated undergrad + working, and it definitely flew by just as fast! Seriously - find something that keeps you sane. For me, that's horses and having a place to ride. I've been so much happier since having a horse to ride compared to first year when I did not.
Overall, I would repeat 2nd year or 3rd year if I had to. First year sucked and would not want to do that over again., but looking back, it's a blur. I'm still glad to be where I am today. And I think I would have said the same thing just before final started, so this isn't completely post-finals bliss :laugh:

Ya know, I'm done with vet school classroom work. And honestly, it has flown by. There have been a few weeks where I've been miserable, but it really wasnt as bad as I was expecting. I've had a lot of fun and still managed to pass all my classes. Maybe I'm not the top of the class, but who cares! I've made it through family issues, personal issues, financial issues, etc. I've had days where i've been pretty miserable but looking back, it definitely could have been worse (Heck, I had bad days/weeks in undergrad too!) There have been high school moments, but it's not ALL like that unless you want it to be. It hasn't been that hard to avoid lots of drama moments. I've made more friends than I have enemies.

I will say, vet school was better when I wasn't working. I could spend my "Free" time having fun rather than heading in to work.

I'm hoping fourth year doesnt suck all that badly. But overall, I haven't hated vet school much more than I hated undergrad + working, and it definitely flew by just as fast! Seriously - find something that keeps you sane. For me, that's horses and having a place to ride. I've been so much happier since having a horse to ride compared to first year when I did not.
Overall, I would repeat 2nd year or 3rd year if I had to. First year sucked and would not want to do that over again., but looking back, it's a blur. I'm still glad to be where I am today. And I think I would have said the same thing just before final started, so this isn't completely post-finals bliss :laugh:

You sound so much like the intern I work with who also went to OK State. Except she said straight up that she loved it except for first year.

Maybe I should have applied to Oklahoma State... ;)

In regards to EMS exemption, Edinburgh recently change their policy - in order to get exemption from any husbandry experience it has to have been done within the last year....which canceled out a lot of what I was hoping to be exempt from :mad:

So I *should* volunteer at the wildlife center again this summer. That made that decision easier.

So I *should* volunteer at the wildlife center again this summer. That made that decision easier.

Or go work with a really nice poultry farm. No way would I want to do poultry over the summer at a commercial farm.....

In regards to EMS exemption, Edinburgh recently change their policy - in order to get exemption from any husbandry experience it has to have been done within the last year....which canceled out a lot of what I was hoping to be exempt from :mad:

What?! That makes no sense. So if someone grew up with cattle or horses or worked as a tech at a SA hospital for years before starting vet school, they may not be able to get out of that species? No sense at all....:mad:

I haven't touched a horse in the last year, but you can bet I'm 100% on equine husbandry with years and years of experience. :rolleyes:

What?! That makes no sense. So if someone grew up with cattle or horses or worked as a tech at a SA hospital for years before starting vet school, they may not be able to get out of that species? No sense at all....:mad:

I haven't touched a horse in the last year, but you can bet I'm 100% on equine husbandry with years and years of experience. :rolleyes:

Yeah, this is slightly obnoxious to me since I did a bunch of wildlife rehabilitation 2 and 3 years ago during the summers, but was too busy to do it again last summer. I was considering doing it again this summer just because I like it a lot, but now I guess it's not really a choice... :rolleyes:

It is slightly longer than 1 year... I think it is more like 1 year and 6 months or something, because I was still able to include my horse work that was over a year ago, but it does have to be recent work. Also, vet tech is not supposed to count because it is not considered "pre-clinical" EMS it is considered "clinical" EMS (you can't get exemptions for clinical EMS) and the first two years you are doing "pre-clinical" EMS. I was still able to use my tech job because we had a grooming area and I made a point to emphasis the husbandry aspect. I think it is about how you present the work that you did.

This is the most depressing thread, even more depressing than the thread on depression.

Yes, I expected it to be hard. I expected to be studying a lot and cramming and getting little sleep. I also was one who worked while going to undergrad and I still enjoyed that more. I had one summer where I was working over 40 hours/week and taking classes and I was still having more fun. It just become very monotonous... go to lecture, attempt to listen, go to lab, come home, take shower, eat dinner, cram information in head, bed, repeat. I still do things for fun on the side, I hang out with friends, take study breaks, etc. But there are nights were I am having to study so much that I am making myself physically exhausted as well as mentally exhausted. I do admit that I have been dealing with quite a bit else this first year; that is not at all related to vet school, but vet school is very draining. I also wish that our school had things like wet labs and stuff. We do get the occasional interesting lecture with food, but we don't really have fun wet labs.

This is the most depressing thread, even more depressing than the thread on depression.

Yeah...this thread gave me extra anxiety on top of the anxiety I already have about my first year starting vet school this summer :-\