Lions, Tigers and Bears: Vet School is a Real-Life Nightmare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I just had someone tell me that they don't like my negativity and implied that I am ungrateful to be in vet school. I hope no one here takes it that way, for any of us who hate vet school.

To anyone stressing about starting vet school, I think this is a good thread. I would just be aware that there is a difference between being happy to be in vet school (on the way to being a veterinarian), and being happy in vet school (sitting through all the things people have already talked about). Other than that, enjoy your summer, and don't be afraid if the bull you are grabbing by the horns turns you black and blue before all is said and done.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just had someone tell me that they don't like my negativity and implied that I am ungrateful to be in vet school. I hope no one here takes it that way, for any of us who hate vet school.

To anyone stressing about starting vet school, I think this is a good thread. I would just be aware that there is a difference between being happy to be in vet school (on the way to being a veterinarian), and being happy in vet school (sitting through all the things people have already talked about). Other than that, enjoy your summer, and don't be afraid if the bull you are grabbing by the horns turns you black and blue before all is said and done.

Was this person in vet school yet? Truly curious. Because I remember thinking that last year when reading other people's complaints. Now, I totally get it!
And people need to realize that it's not being ungrateful, I think daily how lucky I am to be here, but if we weren't able to vent and support each other through bitch out sessions like this, we might go insane. I understand where that person is coming from, just not sure you should accuse someone of being ungrateful.

This is reality pre-vetties. Vet school is NOT a fun time. I can say that I am enjoying my life tremendously right now. Probably the best year of my life so far, but the vet SCHOOL part makes me crazy.
Am I doing it? Am I thankful? Am I learning? Do I enjoy wetlabs? Do I have to accomplish this to follow my dream? Yes.
Do I enjoy the classes? Do I enjoy every person in my class? Do I enjoy all of my professors? Do I enjoy the "administration" :rolleyes: ? Do I enjoy how ripped off I feel by paying MORE money every year but getting LESS every year? Absolutely fecking not! In fact this stuff straight up pisses me off. You think you can just suck it up and deal with it, but day after day, problem after problem, incompetence after incompetence, you lose a slice of your soul. Plain and simple.
And I have every right to feel that way. I've put in A LOT of money and time to feel that way.

With the price of vet school and how hard the work is, simply continuing on each semester defines me as grateful.

Was this person in vet school yet? Truly curious. Because I remember thinking that last year when reading other people's complaints. Now, I totally get it!
And people need to realize that it's not being ungrateful, I think daily how lucky I am to be here, but if we weren't able to vent and support each other through bitch out sessions like this, we might go insane. I understand where that person is coming from, just not sure you should accuse someone of being ungrateful.

This is reality pre-vetties. Vet school is NOT a fun time. I can say that I am enjoying my life tremendously right now. Probably the best year of my life so far, but the vet SCHOOL part makes me crazy.
Am I doing it? Am I thankful? Am I learning? Do I enjoy wetlabs? Do I have to accomplish this to follow my dream? Yes.
Do I enjoy the classes? Do I enjoy every person in my class? Do I enjoy all of my professors? Do I enjoy the "administration" :rolleyes: ? Do I enjoy how ripped off I feel by paying MORE money every year but getting LESS every year? Absolutely fecking not! In fact this stuff straight up pisses me off. You think you can just suck it up and deal with it, but day after day, problem after problem, incompetence after incompetence, you lose a slice of your soul. Plain and simple.
And I have every right to feel that way. I've put in A LOT of money and time to feel that way.

With the price of vet school and how hard the work is, simply continuing on each semester defines me as grateful.

qft

Every single pre-vet I've talked to thinks "no, I won't dislike vet school. I'm going to be different" and every year, I see pre-vets post during or after their first year. While there are a few that love it, they are not the norm. We weren't ungrateful to be in vet school but with the way things work there, it's hard not to get beat down a little.

Members don't see this ad :)

This x1000... I am very grateful to be here. I worked my ass off to get here and I am not about to stop doing this BUT I still strongly dislike the vet school part and I have every right to rant/vent/talk to others about how bad vet school can be at times. At least we can all rant together and pick each other up instead of keeping those frustrations bottled inside.

the worst part for me was realizing I hated vet school. Because you've worked so hard to get there and then you hate it. It was hard to admit it to myself.

the worst part for me was realizing I hated vet school. Because you've worked so hard to get there and then you hate it. It was hard to admit it to myself.

And then you hate yourself for hating it. Its a nasty spiral, at least for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

And then you hate yourself for hating it. Its a nasty spiral, at least for me.

Both of these things :thumbup: I don't want to discourage anyone from this profession. Just go in realistic rather than idealistic.

Agreed. It was very hard to admit it, but I am kind of glad that I did because I know I am not the only one. Makes it easier to deal with it when you can commiserate with others about it.

Yes :thumbup:

Yes, in my class.

And the rest of your post is pure gold.

which means someone in your class LOVES vet school everyday? :eyebrow:

I don't even think our class has any of those left!

They just decided to close our bookstore. A week's notice. Which is our means of food, supplies, merchandise, drinks, BOOKS, etc. Cool guys. Glad I pay so much to be here. :mad:

Vet schools do what they want bc there are so many people dying to go, they don't have to make their "customers" (us!) happy bc the next one is knocking down the door. It's a flaw in the system. They have no motivation or incentive to keep us happy. You'd think educating and producing competent veterinarians would be enough reason for a vetetinary school. Really sad.
And it may not be everywhere, but that's how it is here. We're all very frustrated.

Members don't see this ad :)
They just decided to close our bookstore. A week's notice. Which is our means of food, supplies, merchandise, drinks, BOOKS, etc. Cool guys. Glad I pay so much to be here. :mad:

Vet schools do what they want bc there are so many people dying to go, they don't have to make their "customers" (us!) happy bc the next one is knocking down the door. It's a flaw in the system. They have no motivation or incentive to keep us happy. You'd think educating and producing competent veterinarians would be enough reason for a vetetinary school. Really sad.
And it may not be everywhere, but that's how it is here. We're all very frustrated.
WHAT!?! You mean the school has a place like that right now and they are shutting it down right before I get there???

which means someone in your class LOVES vet school everyday? :eyebrow:

I don't even think our class has any of those left!

I'm doubtful too lol.

That sucks :-( We our fortunate that our bookstore is running strong, but since it is run by only 1 person, the hours are odd and it gets busy quick when we are about to change blocks (maximum occupancy is about 4... Yes, four.)

And do not get me started on the lack of respect professors have for our time. "Oh you're supposed to get a 10 minute break? How's a 10 second one?"
Can you tell I'm writing this in class pissed off bc we aren't getting our break? And crippled people on crutches like me need at least 10 minutes to make it to the bathroom and sit in the 15 minute line since there are three stalls for 100 females.
Oh and how about how our professor who switched our schedule less than 24 hours in advance and told us its not his problem if we get a zero for not going if we had appointments scheduled. When we did the right thing by following the schedule that was dictated 4 months before.
Vet school does NOT care about your time. At all. Vet school is rude :mad:

And do not get me started on the lack of respect professors have for our time. "Oh you're supposed to get a 10 minute break? How's a 10 second one?"
Can you tell I'm writing this in class pissed off bc we aren't getting our break? And crippled people on crutches like me need at least 10 minutes to make it to the bathroom and sit in the 15 minute line since there are three stalls for 100 females.
Oh and how about how our professor who switched our schedule less than 24 hours in advance and told us its not his problem if we get a zero for not going if we had appointments scheduled. When we did the right thing by following the schedule that was dictated 4 months before.

I'm sorry, Emi. :thumbdown: My belief that you're not allowed to have real crises in vet school is re-enforced daily.

10 second breaks are AWESOME - even better is NO break :laugh:

Yes, it is.

I'm sorry to hear about your guys' problem with administration. While they haven't been perfect and there have been kinks, our administration is extremely supportive, receptive to our concerns, and trying to work with us to fix things that aren't working. I have a friend who has been in and out of the hospital the last few weeks and they are working with her to make sure she can finish out the semester. I've actually been pleasantly surprised with our admin.

I'm sorry to hear about your guys' problem with administration. While they haven't been perfect and there have been kinks, our administration is extremely supportive, receptive to our concerns, and trying to work with us to fix things that aren't working. I have a friend who has been in and out of the hospital the last few weeks and they are working with her to make sure she can finish out the semester. I've actually been pleasantly surprised with our admin.
Nstarz - So happy to read all the positive things you have had to say about OSU in this thread. I was feeling pretty defeated about the next four years after I read this thread. Still feel defeated, but with some hope now, thanks to you!

Only for you pre-vetters, I am finding it rather enlightening to know that school problems are across the board, and everyone pretty much has the same mutual feelings towards school.

I am finding it rather enlightening to know that school problems are across the board, and everyone pretty much has the same mutual feelings towards school.

could you share what kind of administration problems you've encountered at U of I? As an Illinois resident hoping to go there, it makes me nervous to hear people have had negative experiences with administration there :(

could you share what kind of administration problems you've encountered at U of I? As an Illinois resident hoping to go there, it makes me nervous to hear people have had negative experiences with administration there :(

Nothing big, same daily grind like everyone else has posted. Its not isolated to Illinois.
eta: Don't get me wrong, over all we have great admin personnel here.

Last edited:
Only for you pre-vetters, I am finding it rather enlightening to know that school problems are across the board, and everyone pretty much has the same mutual feelings towards school.

I think everyone is afraid to admit it out loud. Like they don't belong there if they hate it.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with hating school.

Thinking back to vet school there are people and classes and such that I miss. And some of the best things happened to me while in vet school. I learned a lot about myself in the process. But I would never want to repeat them.

Every place of work and study has it's own problems. I cannot tell you how many friends will complain about their job's HR department or upper level administration. As a rule, things are disordered. haha

Some people do not like to hear bad news or what the future may hold; however, I'm one of those people who likes to be prepared. I'm going to vet school knowing that I will not like it (I like learning, but not school) and I'm ok with that. As long as there is the occasional glimmer of goodness, I'll be able to get through.

Some people do not like to hear bad news or what the future may hold; however, I'm one of those people who likes to be prepared. I'm going to vet school knowing that I will not like it (I like learning, but not school) and I'm ok with that. As long as there is the occasional glimmer of goodness, I'll be able to get through.

I like this. I'm generally optimistic about everything, but it's best to go into something like this with eyes wide open. I'd much rather hear about the struggles people are having and be able to prepare myself (to whatever extent I can) than to go in thinking it's always going to be a great time.

I like this. I'm generally optimistic about everything, but it's best to go into something like this with eyes wide open. I'd much rather hear about the struggles people are having and be able to prepare myself (to whatever extent I can) than to go in thinking it's always going to be a great time.

Same here. :thumbup:

For me personally, I appreciate any feelings current students express about how they're doing. It will definitely make me feel less alone once I start and less likely to be harboring resentment for the fact that I may not enjoy it as much as I thought.

I think everyone is afraid to admit it out loud. Like they don't belong there if they hate it.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with hating school.

Thinking back to vet school there are people and classes and such that I miss. And some of the best things happened to me while in vet school. I learned a lot about myself in the process. But I would never want to repeat them.

My biggest issue is that I was working a job for 10 years. Having to sit and learn classroom style again for undergrad was fun for about a week, then it got old. I carried and average of 25 units and worked 3 days a week and definitely felt the dread that comes with that kind of lifestyle. I am not looking forward to the next 2-3 years doing the same thing in vet school and having those units be 3 times harder than undergrad. I just want to be a part of the workforce again. I deal with it by putting on my blinders and grinding my way through it. DVMD, I agree wholeheartedly that not having the wetlabs and being forced to do so much husbandry is soul-sucking. Actually performing the task learned in the classroom and interacting with clients brings back drive. I hope for your sake that something amazing revitalizes an "oh right, that's why I'm doing this" moment, even if it's just for a little while. In the meantime, SDN solidarity is here for those in need of someone to listen.

At almost the end of my first year, I can confidently say that I don't hate vet school. I'm not sure I love it either, but I can say it's not as bad as I was expecting and I like it more now than I did at first.
Some of this has been the result of purposeful activities in clubs, so access to cool wetlabs and other opportunities. Doing stuff like that monthly helps me remember why I'm here and sometimes brings home concepts from classes, making lectures seem less like endless torture sessions filled with an impossible amount of information. I also take frequent personal mornings or days and just don't go to class. I'm doing well in my classes, so that hasn't affected my grades but it helps me mentally tremendously.
The other part that has turned my attitude around is consciously turning my attitude around. Instead of being annoyed by class drama, or feeling squeezed and pressured to compete with my classmates (yep, still a competitive environment in some circles), or letting a jerk in class get to me-I just don't. I just keep my head down and don't get involved. I'm not a meek or a non opinionated person at all, I just want my sanity more than I want to be right, or prove a point, or even to have a ton of friends in school. And I'm the better for it. Frankly, once I started to view the interpersonal interactions with my classmates as a self growth opportunity, an opportunity to become a more even tempered, calm and respectful person, I was much happier in vet school.
I also generally make sleep and eating well a priority, and am incredibly lucky to have an amazing, patient husband who is able to be here with me.
And, our administration, faculty and staff are amazing and supportive. Obviously some of my good fortune is just luck ;)

I'm honestly not trying to just blindly talk smack and am usually a tolerant person who takes what's given to me and makes the best of it. But I'm also poor, always have been, so when I pay this much money I expect to get what I pay for. I just can't even explain the frustrations that come from dealing with it sometimes. I heard people complain about the administration before I got here and thought they were just big whiners and didn't respect admin, but I get it. There are absolute gems who will do anything for you. Jonathan Orsini kept me sane throughout my out of state tuition ordeal. And everyone is very nice, but we just cannot understand the mistakes and miscommunications that still occur. I really like our interim dean too! :)
Just wanted to clarify that I'm not trying to be disrespectful toward admin, we're all just frustrated.

Last edited:
Oh man, I'm sorry Emiloo if you thought I was directing any of what I said at you, or at anyone else on here. I was trying to share my experiences and how I seem to be faring pretty well in a somewhat hostile, unforgiving environment.
It totally sucks that you schools admin is soo sh*tty! I don't think your being a whiner or unreasonable at all.

Yeah...this thread gave me extra anxiety on top of the anxiety I already have about my first year starting vet school this summer :-\

agreed....even though I know if I had read this many years before I put all the effort into being accepted I still probably would have done it...I still kinda wish I hadn't read it...I've known all along that this is going to be a rough ride but this makes me much more nervous :(

I don't hate vet school... but the times where I'm not loving it definitely outweigh the times that I do love it. Seeing a pair of binturongs in our exotic service today? Awesome, love it. The seven finals last week? Being used as a guinea pig for new courses that they have barely prepared for? Being regarded as if I'm whining when I make course suggestions? Don't love that. I've gotten some amazing experiences and met great people so far in vet school, but also had some very frustrating moments.

I'm reading all this and definitely taking it into consideration but I have to somewhat keep it in the back of my mind because I can't predict how I will handle something until I'm actually in that situation. Not "Oh I'm going to be different I'll love vet school" as dyachei referred to (and I've definitely run into those!) but in a way that I don't know specifically how I will react. Maybe I won't mind sitting in class all day but will hate the drama. Maybe I'll be ok with the exams but hate sitting in class all day. Or maybe I'll hate all of the above. I can't get either super excited or super stressed about starting vet school right now because there are just too many unknowns.

Now I went down to Open House and got my trailer this weekend and that I'm excited about. I really really like it. It's more tangible, more known. I'd be really surprised if one of the things I hated about the vet school experience was my trailer. But that's because I've seen it and carefully decided on it and know it's what I want. I can't say that about the rest of the vet school experience.

I think I might have a unique perspective but here it goes.....

1) I had to come back to school after 20+ years, and I absolutely LOVED being in classes taking the prerequisites and learning again. I absolutely have HATED most of vet school, so it is not about disliking being out of the real world.

2) I find there is a high correlation to satisfaction in vet school and memorizing ability. Those who are really good at memorizing generally coast through.

3) The biggest frustration for me is not how much I have to study, but the very small return given on studying. Before I got here I was taking classes, volunteering, and working full time, but everything I was doing felt rewarding and worthwhile. Now I expend a ton of time and energy just to get by on exams, while I feel like I have learned very little. I just don't see the point in killing yourself for so little accomplishment.

4) I have had 2 medical leaves so I feel I have had a good chance to look with perspective. The first time I was ACHING to get back to classes, I was so excited to do better the 2nd time around. This leave I have no desire to return. I just feel like I know what will happen again, and I am not anxious to return to the useless grind.

I think to get by you really have to stop thinking about how ridiculous things are set up, otherwise you expend too much energy being negative when there is little you can do about it. Frankly the pollyannas around really annoy me, because they aren't being honest, but I guess I need to recognize that at least they are surviving.

Everyone says to make sure you have a life outside of vet school, well, I kind of wish I didn't have a life outside of vet school. It would be MUCH easier to have nothing to miss and no commitments, so be careful of that advice.

By far the best students (and the ones who seem to enjoy the most) tend to be single, or where their SOs are not around much, study most of the time, and have little to miss out on. :smuggrin:
There are exceptions, but not many.

By far the best students (and the ones who seem to enjoy the most) tend to be single, or where their SOs are not around much, study most of the time, and have little to miss out on. :smuggrin:

I am single, I study a decent amount and I don't really have anything else to miss out on. I hate it and I am not anywhere near the best student.... like bottom third of my class. I think I am just broken.

2) I find there is a high correlation to satisfaction in vet school and memorizing ability. Those who are really good at memorizing generally coast through.

:thumbup: Seriously. And if you're great at listening in class for extended periods of time - and especially if you're an auditory learner. If you're a kinesthetic learner with a short attention span, dear lord the teaching style is hell.

:thumbup: Seriously. And if you're great at listening in class for extended periods of time - and especially if you're an auditory learner. If you're a kinesthetic learner with a short attention span, dear lord the teaching style is hell.

I am actually a decent auditory learner (and visual), but it is useless unless I can remember it through repetition, and there is no time in vet school for enough repetition, so everything I learn in class is "lost".

I am the guy who explains things to other people in class and then would get it wrong on the exam because I couldn't remember what I fleetingly knew one day...

My ideal way of acing school would be to listen to every lecture for the first time the morning of the exam and walk to the exam with 13,20 or whatever lectures fresh in my head. Unfortunately there is no way to practically do that without going insane.

I am single, I study a decent amount and I don't really have anything else to miss out on. I hate it and I am not anywhere near the best student.... like bottom third of my class. I think I am just broken.

You are not broken - you just have medical issues that interfere with your life. That's not broken in the sense that you're implying (at least according to my interpretation :laugh:)

At almost the end of my first year, I can confidently say that I don't hate vet school. I'm not sure I love it either, but I can say it's not as bad as I was expecting and I like it more now than I did at first.
Some of this has been the result of purposeful activities in clubs, so access to cool wetlabs and other opportunities. Doing stuff like that monthly helps me remember why I'm here and sometimes brings home concepts from classes, making lectures seem less like endless torture sessions filled with an impossible amount of information. I also take frequent personal mornings or days and just don't go to class. I'm doing well in my classes, so that hasn't affected my grades but it helps me mentally tremendously.
The other part that has turned my attitude around is consciously turning my attitude around. Instead of being annoyed by class drama, or feeling squeezed and pressured to compete with my classmates (yep, still a competitive environment in some circles), or letting a jerk in class get to me-I just don't. I just keep my head down and don't get involved. I'm not a meek or a non opinionated person at all, I just want my sanity more than I want to be right, or prove a point, or even to have a ton of friends in school. And I'm the better for it. Frankly, once I started to view the interpersonal interactions with my classmates as a self growth opportunity, an opportunity to become a more even tempered, calm and respectful person, I was much happier in vet school.
I also generally make sleep and eating well a priority, and am incredibly lucky to have an amazing, patient husband who is able to be here with me.
And, our administration, faculty and staff are amazing and supportive. Obviously some of my good fortune is just luck ;)

That's really encouraging. You sound like you have a similar MO to what I have had in the last few years - just keeping your head down and grinding the grind, striving for serenity even when some interpersonal interactions try to upset your tranquility. I look forward to the opportunity for learning and personal growth that the challenge will offer.

I am sure the workload will feel overwhelming. But if nothing else, I'm good at stubbornly working in the face of sustained pressure. You're right, the attitude you bring to a situation often determines what you get out of it. I am hoping that going in with low, low expectations will help me not to hate school. I'm just hoping that when the rubber meets the road this fall, that I can maintain the determination and acceptance that it sounds like you are enjoying.

It'll be hard. I can't fully appreciate how hard right now. But lots of others have done it, I'll see it through, and I'll try to minimize my misery while I'm there. :)

Everyone says to make sure you have a life outside of vet school, well, I kind of wish I didn't have a life outside of vet school. It would be MUCH easier to have nothing to miss and no commitments, so be careful of that advice.

I kinda agree with this. I would never wish away my husband, or could we ever do a LDR, but in another life...vet school would be much easier academically if my non vet school life wasn't so freaking enjoyable and compelling! I want to go home at night, fix dinner and watch the news with my husband, and do fun stuff on weekends, not hole up and study all of the time. While I know my marriage plays a huge part in keeping me sane, balancing it with vet school isn't the easiest thing in the world. It'd be easier to be selfish and keep my own schedule, but again... in another life. I wouldn't trade what I have for anything.

Oh man, I'm sorry Emiloo if you thought I was directing any of what I said at you, or at anyone else on here. I was trying to share my experiences and how I seem to be faring pretty well in a somewhat hostile, unforgiving environment.
It totally sucks that you schools admin is soo sh*tty! I don't think your being a whiner or unreasonable at all.

No no not at all. I just realized I might be coming off as pissed off and irrational and that people might just perceive me as on a rant. When honestly, it's how I feel, and not just me whining. :oops:

I really think it's awesome that, at least online, people are able to be honest about how they feel about school. At orientation we got this cheerleadery ponies and rainbows talk about how it's all about your attitude. No attitude adjustment is going to make up for some of the things we deal with. Being fake happy only makes the soul bleed more and makes you think you are alone in feeling that way. A few years ago anyone saying vet school was short of a unicorn and fairy dance was completely invalidated and even a year ago I got a ton of crap from classmates for asking professors to give our copies of the slides, give us our breaks, etc (supposed to just suck it up and never ask for things to be corrected). I think there has been a shift toward honesty and toward expecting professional treatment from our vet schools and that makes me really happy.

I really think it's awesome that, at least online, people are able to be honest about how they feel about school. At orientation we got this cheerleadery ponies and rainbows talk about how it's all about your attitude. No attitude adjustment is going to make up for some of the things we deal with. Being fake happy only makes the soul bleed more and makes you think you are alone in feeling that way. A few years ago anyone saying vet school was short of a unicorn and fairy dance was completely invalidated and even a year ago I got a ton of crap from classmates for asking professors to give our copies of the slides, give us our breaks, etc (supposed to just suck it up and never ask for things to be corrected). I think there has been a shift toward honesty and toward expecting professional treatment from our vet schools and that makes me really happy.

I know many people want to hear how awesome vet school is, that it will transform your life to the point when you fart sparkles and rainbows shoot out, but thats not reality.

I know many people want to hear how awesome vet school is, that it will transform your life to the point when you fart sparkles and rainbows shoot out, but thats not reality.

It's NOT??

Aw man...

don't you already do that TT? :confused:

:p

But anyhow..... I don't hate vet school.... I know there are a lot of people though that do.... but I don't love it either - there are classes I enjoy and others I disdain..... there are profs I like and others I dislike.... there is a ****e ton of work.... and I feel like I study my arse off for exams and get very little gain out of it.... which is very frustrating, to say the least.... exam time is probably the hardest time.... cause it is studying, all day, every day, and then kicking yourself for not staying on top of the material as well as you could have, but there is so much material it is almost impossible to do so.. and the way we are examined is fecking ridiculous so it is not really cumulative more like luck of the fecking draw with essay exams... it is fecking stressful, hell, and hoping some flipping way you pass.... the profs expect you to be an expert and grade you with their heads up their arses.... and I wonder sometimes if I am just too old to learn all this damn ****e... and I feel like I study so much and it somehow just evaporates from my bloody brain.....

the only way I have found to get by is to have some semblance of a social life.... so I don't go bloody mad.....