Lions, Tigers and Bears: Vet School is a Real-Life Nightmare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
). I think there has been a shift toward honesty and toward expecting professional treatment from our vet schools and that makes me really happy.
This!!

Maybe I am spoiled by my age, but I expected to be treated professionally, not like a child. Too many lecturers don't give a rat's anus about educating, in many ways both big and small.

I wish they would just send us to some Vet vocational school that had full time educators for 2 years, and then came to the hospital to spend the next 2 years with the awesome clinicians, who actually seem to care in one-on-one situations. I can think of a number of people who have lectured who I despised, until I got to see them in a clinical setting, where they do a good job teaching what they know, and what we want to hear.

Members don't see this ad.

. there is a ****e ton of work.... and I feel like I study my arse off for exams and get very little gain out of it.... which is very frustrating, to say the least.......

I said it before, but for me this is the biggest soul-sucking part of vet school, and that part I was unprepared for.

I think a lot of us are used to working hard, so we think vet school will be fine. What we are not expecting is the realization that most of your effort is sucked into a black hole of uselessness. Maximum effort for little return is a hard way to go through 4 years.

It is hard to study and be motivated in those circumstances. In a way, vet school is the biggest demotivating structure I have ever seen, and that is sad considering most of us have no problem working hard or studying in normal circumstances.

In addition to the constant effort for minimal success, the lack of real understanding correlating with your grades. Some of the classes I retained the least from I got stellar grades in. Yet I just about failed renal but it's the topic I understand the best from this semester. And my Pathology prof said it best 'Why would we ever test your knowledge in multiple choice format. How clinically relevant is it for a dog to show up at your clinic with a select-the-best-answer sign aroun his neck?' He is in his 70's, been teaching for 40 years and is the BEST teacher I have ever had. Ever. In my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to the constant effort for minimal success, the lack of real understanding correlating with your grades. Some of the classes I retained the least from I got stellar grades in. Yet I just about failed renal but it's the topic I understand the best from this semester. And my Pathology prof said it best 'Why would we ever test your knowledge in multiple choice format. How clinically relevant is it for a dog to show up at your clinic with a select-the-best-answer sign aroun his neck?' He is in his 70's, been teaching for 40 years and is the BEST teacher I have ever had. Ever. In my life.

I'm very surprised to hear that the exams are in a multiple-choice format. I would have expected something more along the lines of essay questions for that very reason.

I'm very surprised to hear that the exams are in a multiple-choice format. I would have expected something more along the lines of essay questions for that very reason.

there are always a few that are short essay or something like it. The majority are multiple choice due to time (at least that's the excuse they use)

there are always a few that are short essay or something like it. The majority are multiple choice due to time (at least that's the excuse they use)

This is how it is different in the UK.... our exams are heavily based on short answer questions. We do get a multiple choice exams but it is not worth near as much as the short answer part of the exam. Basically you will have 3-4 months worth of material and information and you will be given 10 short answer questions to cover the whole period... I wouldn't consider it a good test of your knowledge of all the material, IMO. For example: The exam I am studying for right now is over somewhere around 75 lectures, we will be given 10 short answer questions and I think 20 MCQ (IIRC)... so 30 questions on 75+ lectures. Doesn't seem like a good gauge of your knowledge to me, but you also really have to know everything because you don't know what the questions will be on.

This is how it is different in the UK.... our exams are heavily based on short answer questions. We do get a multiple choice exams but it is not worth near as much as the short answer part of the exam. Basically you will have 3-4 months worth of material and information and you will be given 10 short answer questions to cover the whole period... I wouldn't consider it a good test of your knowledge of all the material, IMO. For example: The exam I am studying for right now is over somewhere around 75 lectures, we will be given 10 short answer questions and I think 20 MCQ (IIRC)... so 30 questions on 75+ lectures. Doesn't seem like a good gauge of your knowledge to me, but you also really have to know everything because you don't know what the questions will be on.

To me that is a perversion of the whole point of essay type exams.

Having fewer questions on a larger number of lectures SHOULD encourage the testing of general concepts that are most important, and not focusing on all the minor details that are quickly forgotten (and can be looked up IRL).

SMH.

To me that is a perversion of the whole point of essay type exams.

Having fewer questions on a larger number of lectures SHOULD encourage the testing of general concepts that are most important, and not focusing on all the minor details that are quickly forgotten (and can be looked up IRL).

SMH.

Some of the questions were great, they really make you think here and are already having us interpret things clinically. IIRC, the last exam had a question about Addison's Disease and how that affects the endocrine and urinary systems... the question wasn't this general it was more direct and asked specifics but it was a good question. But, we were given two endocrine questions that one and one on parathryoid hormones and calcium. Nothing else about endocrine was asked at all. Parasitology was also a beast because even after having learned the hundreds of parasites we were asked about 2 of them. :lame: So, if one of those parasites is something that you didn't know as well or you didn't focus on as much you are kind of SOL, better hope you know the answer to another question really well to make up some points.

That's where your exams differ from ours.... ours are all essay based and they are long answer essays..... about 3-5 long form essays for an entire semester worth of information.... and they are focused.... so you pretty much end up studying past papers to find out the questions that were asked in the past... answering those questions and focusing studying on that which takes forever - the people that do well in essay exams are those that can memorize their entire essays they formulated prior and spill it verbatim..... it fecking blows... you cross your fingers an essay that you can answer comes up on the friggin test cause it is luck of the draw what they ask and you could be royally screwed if essays you cannot answer get asked

our finals suck..... :lame:

The last 6 or 7 classes we took had only one grade... A MC final exam in a computer testing center. :rolleyes: Most of them were under 50 questions.
50 questions. To test your understanding of an entire subject.
And Camelid, I completely agree about the inverse relationship. I knew, and still know cardio like the back of my hand, but I got a 68 on my final. A sixty freaking eight. I emailed my professor asking if she got the numbers backwards bc it wasnt possible for that to be my grade :lol: Lowest grade of my life, highest mastered subject thus far :mad:

Last edited:
I said it before, but for me this is the biggest soul-sucking part of vet school, and that part I was unprepared for.

I think a lot of us are used to working hard, so we think vet school will be fine. What we are not expecting is the realization that most of your effort is sucked into a black hole of uselessness. Maximum effort for little return is a hard way to go through 4 years.

It is hard to study and be motivated in those circumstances. In a way, vet school is the biggest demotivating structure I have ever seen, and that is sad considering most of us have no problem working hard or studying in normal circumstances.

YES!!! It's quite amazing how much of the "testable" material are crap no clinician ever gives a rats bum about and are pointless to have in your precious brain space. Even more amazing are all the clinically important things they don't teach you because they're so busy teaching you random factoids that will never matter to you. And then the crappy lecturers write even crappier exams where the questions are so poorly written half the students get it wrong simply because we didn't know what the question was asking (though sometimes they will throw those out). Or the questions are totally off target from what they focused on in class. It wouldn't be so bad if this didn't happen EVERY week for three years. My grades in vet school has been better than undergrad, so it's not like super difficult or anything for me, but it's extremely annoying and frustrating exactly for the reasons sov stated.

YES!!! It's quite amazing how much of the "testable" material are crap no clinician ever gives a rats bum about and are pointless to have in your precious brain space. Even more amazing are all the clinically important things they don't teach you because they're so busy teaching you random factoids that will never matter to you. And then the crappy lecturers write even crappier exams where the questions are so poorly written half the students get it wrong simply because we didn't know what the question was asking (though sometimes they will throw those out). Or the questions are totally off target from what they focused on in class. It wouldn't be so bad if this didn't happen EVERY week for three years. My grades in vet school has been better than undergrad, so it's not like super difficult or anything for me, but it's extremely annoying and frustrating exactly for the reasons sov stated.

For sure. I despise the writing of our questions. When professors test my actual knowledge on a subject and write good questions, I do well. When you write a question (or an exam full of them) that doesn't make sense, or that 3 guest lecturers had different answers on, it becomes an eeny meany miney moe at its just not ok.

I figured this was appropriate for this thread, since this is how vet school feels a lot of the time:

58103_10151339324101612_324841067_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)

The vast majority of our exams are multiple choice, like many of the other U.S. schools. The usual reason given is "I don't want to hand grade 100 essay exams."

Which, to be honest, I can understand and kinda buy (from their perspective).

We did have an essay exam in epidemiology. And our clin-path final is two days (first day multiple choice, second day 'essay' (i.e. write reports based on lab results)).

WSU is probably close to a 50/50 spit not including anatomy which is always name that obscurity. The essay exams, for me at least, are glorious because you don't have to worry about tricky wording in a 60 word questions where every answer choice has at least 40 words to read through. Oh and select all that apply are the devil, pure and simple.

Ours are essays, short answers, and multiple choice. Pretty much all of the classes too. They are moving away from essays, and more towards short answer though. Most have a practical or lab component as well.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Our exams are mostly multiple choice with some short answer. Quite a few of our classes have quizzes, but those are usually multiple choice as well. We have had just a couple of group projects and essays as homework assignments, but those were strategically placed in the middle of the block to be less of a pain in the butt.

Dragging this back up because somebody try to stop me.

Year 3, still think this place is BS but literally could not care any less about it anymore. I can't even say I'm stressed out or burned out because I just do not care. I am to the point where every stupid little thing is just something else to laugh at and roll my eyes at and maybe crank up a middle finger if I feel it's worth the ATP to do so. I can't take anything that happens in a classroom seriously anymore because it is all so damn stupid, pointless and inconsequential in the long run. Just ready to go to clinics at this point, not because I think I will absolutely love clinics, but because it represents the next step to getting the hell out of here. :laugh:

next week - exam Monday, huge f-off practical exam on surgery & anesthesia skills/knowledge on Wednesday, three take-home exams due throughout the week and a stupid ~personal business plan~ draft due on Friday. Still can't find a single crap to give. Not a one.

Year 3, still think this place is BS but literally could not care any less about it anymore. I can't even say I'm stressed out or burned out because I just do not care. I am to the point where every stupid little thing is just something else to laugh at and roll my eyes at and maybe crank up a middle finger if I feel it's worth the ATP to do so. I can't take anything that happens in a classroom seriously anymore because it is all so damn stupid, pointless and inconsequential in the long run. Just ready to go to clinics at this point, not because I think I will absolutely love clinics, but because it represents the next step to getting the hell out of here. :laugh:

next week - exam Monday, huge f-off practical exam on surgery & anesthesia skills/knowledge on Wednesday, three take-home exams due throughout the week and a stupid ~personal business plan~ draft due on Friday. Still can't find a single crap to give. Not a one.

If you have any guns can I kindly suggest you give the bullets to a friend. ANd you DON"T really need any sharp objects. Really. Plastic knives will suffice.

And that hockey stick... Lock that baby up. I am sure you know how to wield that as well.

Breathe. Breathe... In.... out...

Good luck on your exams! You're almost of of there!!

Last edited:
If you have any guns can I kindly suggest you give the bullets to a friend. ANd you DON"T really need any sharp objects. Really. Plastic knives will suffice.

And that hockey stick... Lock that baby up. I am sure you know how to wield that as well.

Breathe. Breathe... In.... out...

lol what, I think this is going over my head

I'm breathing just fine. Going to a powerskating clinic this weekend instead of doing any of that mountain of BS I'm supposed to be doing. Last weekend I played in a hockey tournament.

Honestly, I don't think vet school is too bad. I've experienced far worse. I don't study past 9:15 ever, and most nights I quit around 8:30. If I have a particularly rough test, I'll get up at 5 to study for it, but otherwise I only study from the time we get done until 8 PM, with an hour break for dinner. I barely study on the weekends, and never on Friday night. I'm doing ok. I'm not at the top of my class, but I'm also not at the bottom. I don't plan on going on to a residency immediately after school, so that contributes to my philosophy of just survive and learn. Other than a couple of instructors, the faculty has been great. The exams are mostly fair (surgery is the main exception). I'm not saying I would want to repeat any of it, but then I also don't like cumulative exams.

Our exams depend on the class. We have some tests all MC, most seem to be short answer with a couple of longer essays sprinkled in. Fill in the blanks and matching have made appearances as well. Even a couple diagram questions - pretty sure the anesthetic machine I drew was barely recognizable :laugh:

I feel the exact same way!!! I'm just starting finals week and couldn't care less about 1 school related thing. I want to care, but I just can't quite muster it. I'm really lucky that I cared for the rest of the semester, so I'm going into finals with plenty of wiggle room, no danger of failing anything even if I bomb my finals, which is looking more likely each day. Ugg! Can't it be the 15th already.....?

Hey DVM Dream.

Now I really can't wait to get to Edinburgh. Where was this frank discussion before I sent in the deposit?

I thought you were a happy camper over there based on prior posts; loved, loved, loved the school.

Is it just the 12 weeks of EMS for the GEP program? I will have six weeks done before August here in the States and have enjoyed all of the so far.

Hey DVM Dream.

Now I really can't wait to get to Edinburgh. Where was this frank discussion before I sent in the deposit?

I thought you were a happy camper over there based on prior posts; loved, loved, loved the school.

Is it just the 12 weeks of EMS for the GEP program? I will have six weeks done before August here in the States and have enjoyed all of the so far.

I don't think it's Edinburgh that's the issue. If you don't like sitting in hours of lectures almost every day or studying in most of the time you're not in lectures, then you're not going to think vet school is fun no matter what school you're at. But if you want to be a vet, you have to go through it. It's a means to an end, really. But it's probably best to do it at a school that you think might make you less miserable than the others. Which is exactly why I chose Edinburgh over my other options. :smuggrin:

If you don't like sitting in hours of lectures almost every day or studying in most of the time you're not in lectures, then you're not going to think vet school is fun no matter what school you're at.

Except maybe Western? They don't do long weeks of ridiculous amounts of lecture per day, right?

I know, I know, not your point. :)

Hey DVM Dream.

I am so very sorry that I did not paint a pretty, rose-coloured picture of vet school for you. Excuse me for expressing my feelings and how I really feel. I should not do this, I should keep them inside and exhibit a fake sense of happiness so that people like you can't judge me or see how I could even possibly not like something or blame me for your being upset for sending in your deposit. (I didn't force you to send in your deposit).

I am very glad that you have enjoyed all of your EMS so far, good for you. Must be nice to do that while at home where you can go home at the end of the day and relax and do other things. I am sorry that I didn't portray my one EMS experience here as if it were like unicorns crapping rainbows. I am sorry that working 18 hours/day for 2 weeks while living at someone else's home unable to get away from the work and not being able to adequately study for my week of exams that I had immediately upon returning home did not make me a joyful, sparkly, happy person.

I am wondering if you even read this entire thread because this isn't only me ranting about how I hate vet school but a lot of vet students at various schools agreeing with me and explaining what they do not enjoy about vet school. The reason I made this thread is because I so often hear people talk about how they really do not enjoy vet school, it isn't a new concept. But these people are often afraid to express how they really feel because there are always a few people who judge them, look down upon on them and think they are crazy for not liking it. So, I made a thread where those of us that feel this way can commiserate. This isn't just Edinburgh, this is vet school. This is how myself and a lot of people feel and I am sorry that it has surprised you or come as a shock to you, but this is reality for a lot of us and while it may not be your reality we should not feel as if we can not express how we are feeling, which is what your post does. It makes me not want to express how I truly feel, because I just might upset someone else or someone else will look down on me or someone else had a great experience doing something and just can't possibly see how my experience could have been anything less than great.

I am not the only person at this school on here (SDN) and to say that you are now upset about sending in your deposit because I vented about not liking vet school, is a bit absurd and unfair, to me. To make you feel a bit better, I do enjoy some things about Edinburgh, some of the faculty are great and they really do provide a lot of support for the students. They also seem to care about making the curriculum the best that it can be by asking for constructive feedback and then sitting down and going over that feedback with some of the students. So, yes, there are things I like, but overall school is frustrating and I do not enjoy it. Add on to the fact that my personal life has been crumbling into a million pieces around me and then you will see that between vet school and life outside of vet school, things have just not been all sparkly rainbows for me and I shouldn't feel bad about expressing that.

This thread is for people to come vent about vet school.... when it is getting them down, if they hate it, if they are having a crappy week cause it fecking blows... not for all you feckers who love vet school to come in and say "gosh you know I really love vet school there must be something wrong with you".... there is another thread for you....

so if you get the inclination to do that..... GTFO.....

:smuggrin:

I am so very sorry that I did not paint a pretty, rose-coloured picture of vet school for you. Excuse me for expressing my feelings and how I really feel. I should not do this, I should keep them inside and exhibit a fake sense of happiness so that people like you can't judge me or see how I could even possibly not like something or blame me for your being upset for sending in your deposit. (I didn't force you to send in your deposit).

I am very glad that you have enjoyed all of your EMS so far, good for you. Must be nice to do that while at home where you can go home at the end of the day and relax and do other things. I am sorry that I didn't portray my one EMS experience here as if it were like unicorns crapping rainbows. I am sorry that working 18 hours/day for 2 weeks while living at someone else's home unable to get away from the work and not being able to adequately study for my week of exams that I had immediately upon returning home did not make me a joyful, sparkly, happy person.

I am wondering if you even read this entire thread because this isn't only me ranting about how I hate vet school but a lot of vet students at various schools agreeing with me and explaining what they do not enjoy about vet school. The reason I made this thread is because I so often hear people talk about how they really do not enjoy vet school, it isn't a new concept. But these people are often afraid to express how they really feel because there are always a few people who judge them, look down upon on them and think they are crazy for not liking it. So, I made a thread where those of us that feel this way can commiserate. This isn't just Edinburgh, this is vet school. This is how myself and a lot of people feel and I am sorry that it has surprised you or come as a shock to you, but this is reality for a lot of us and while it may not be your reality we should not feel as if we can not express how we are feeling, which is what your post does. It makes me not want to express how I truly feel, because I just might upset someone else or someone else will look down on me or someone else had a great experience doing something and just can't possibly see how my experience could have been anything less than great.

I am not the only person at this school on here (SDN) and to say that you are now upset about sending in your deposit because I vented about not liking vet school, is a bit absurd and unfair, to me. To make you feel a bit better, I do enjoy some things about Edinburgh, some of the faculty are great and they really do provide a lot of support for the students. They also seem to care about making the curriculum the best that it can be by asking for constructive feedback and then sitting down and going over that feedback with some of the students. So, yes, there are things I like, but overall school is frustrating and I do not enjoy it. Add on to the fact that my personal life has been crumbling into a million pieces around me and then you will see that between vet school and life outside of vet school, things have just not been all sparkly rainbows for me and I shouldn't feel bad about expressing that.

:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

This thread is for people to come vent about vet school.... when it is getting them down, if they hate it, if they are having a crappy week cause it fecking blows... not for all you feckers who love vet school to come in and say "gosh you know I really love vet school there must be something wrong with you".... there is another thread for you....

so if you get the inclination to do that..... GTFO.....

:smuggrin:

May I add pre-vetters who have no clue either. ^

You are more than welcome to read but should refrain from passing judgement on that which you do not yet know. At least out loud (or in text). You may feel free to judge away inside your head, though. Such is life.

If pre-vets are not welcome in this thread, maybe it doesn't belong in the pre-vet forum.

I am finding it a useful read. Did not realize I was not welcome here.

You very obviously read that out of context. I may be wrong, but I think it was quite obvious that bbeventer was referring to pre-vets commenting on the difficulty of vet school or how people should view vet school, when they have not been there. I honestly do not think that is asking for much. I honestly think this is a good thread for pre-vets and that it needs to be here. I think pre-vets need to realize that vet school is not all roses and daises and that it is OK to be frustrated, that it is OK to not enjoy it, that it is OK to perhaps even despise it, but it is also OK to love it (which is why there is a thread for that).

Of course pre-vets are welcome here, just don't tell me how I should view vet school and how I should feel about it when you damn well have not been here.

2) I find there is a high correlation to satisfaction in vet school and memorizing ability. Those who are really good at memorizing generally coast through.

By far the best students (and the ones who seem to enjoy the most) tend to be single, or where their SOs are not around much, study most of the time, and have little to miss out on. :smuggrin:

This has been my saving grace in vet school. I pack so much into my brain, but then it falls out as soon as I don't need it anymore (for an exam)...probably not the best way to learn

This has been my saving grace in vet school. I pack so much into my brain, but then it falls out as soon as I don't need it anymore (for an exam)...probably not the best way to learn

Not here. I do okay just memorizing stuff, but I'm a very conceptual person. I tend to understand more of the big picture, but I find it hard to find the motivation to just memorize little details.

Not here. I do okay just memorizing stuff, but I'm a very conceptual person. I tend to understand more of the big picture, but I find it hard to find the motivation to just memorize little details.

I am the same way, when physio has pathways that all work together I get an Ah-Ha! moment, but when it is just little details strung together it is like trudging though mud to learn any of it.

So you guys are saying my electives on Unicorn Surgery (read: How to ligate vessels that are composed of glitter) and Sasquach Anatomy (including the Yeti!) aren't all rainbows? Boo.

No, really, I'm actually super stoked I found this thread because I'm so focused on getting IN that I haven't considered what getting in entails. This thread rocks the realities and more power to all of you for toughing it out. Major props and thanks for showing the 90% of vet school that should be considered, not just the 10% that is.

(and yes, i brought this thread back up, sorry guys)

So you guys are saying my electives on Unicorn Surgery (read: How to ligate vessels that are composed of glitter) and Sasquach Anatomy (including the Yeti!) aren't all rainbows? Boo.

No, really, I'm actually super stoked I found this thread because I'm so focused on getting IN that I haven't considered what getting in entails. This thread rocks the realities and more power to all of you for toughing it out. Major props and thanks for showing the 90% of vet school that should be considered, not just the 10% that is.

(and yes, i brought this thread back up, sorry guys)

Dudes, thanks for bringing this back thread up. Yes, definitely consider everything that vet school entails and make sure you're willing to survive through it. But beyond that, I wouldn't worry much about it. Second and third years were absolutely miserable, and made me want to punch people in the face when they would tell me I should be living the dream. But you know what, all of that passes very quickly in hindsight. Remember that your goal is to become a veterinarian, noy a vet student.

I've loooved clinics thus far, and it doesn't phase me how much work it is. Even with 9 months to go, I feel so much more confident that I'm finally on my way to becoming a good doctor. Everything is coming together nicely, and all the hard work from previous years is paying off. Recently, I did an emergency exploratory surgery on a dog with like 20 cm of dead intestines, chopped it out, sewed the two ends together, and voila the dog lived! Dog was doing extremely well 5 days post-op. As long as things didn't go south over the weekend, she will probably be fine. I managed her entire care afterward (with guidance of course), and it was a tremendous learning experience. I don't think I could have pictured myself being this doctorly and independent just 4 months ago.

Yup 75% of vet school will suck your soul, but there is def light at the end of the tunnel. A debt ridden light, but a light nonetheless.

Reactions: 1 user
Dudes, thanks for bringing this back thread up. Yes, definitely consider everything that vet school entails and make sure you're willing to survive through it. But beyond that, I wouldn't worry much about it. Second and third years were absolutely miserable, and made me want to punch people in the face when they would tell me I should be living the dream. But you know what, all of that passes very quickly in hindsight. Remember that your goal is to become a veterinarian, noy a vet student.

I've loooved clinics thus far, and it doesn't phase me how much work it is. Even with 9 months to go, I feel so much more confident that I'm finally on my way to becoming a good doctor. Everything is coming together nicely, and all the hard work from previous years is paying off. Recently, I did an emergency exploratory surgery on a dog with like 20 cm of dead intestines, chopped it out, sewed the two ends together, and voila the dog lived! Dog was doing extremely well 5 days post-op. As long as things didn't go south over the weekend, she will probably be fine. I managed her entire care afterward (with guidance of course), and it was a tremendous learning experience. I don't think I could have pictured myself being this doctorly and independent just 4 months ago.

Yup 75% of vet school will suck your soul, but there is def light at the end of the tunnel. A debt ridden light, but a light nonetheless.

:thumbup: :thumbup: This is awesome!

Haha Minnerbelle I was going to post:

"Fourth year is better."

but you said it much fancier!