Lions, Tigers and Bears: Vet School is a Real-Life Nightmare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dudes, thanks for bringing this back thread up. Yes, definitely consider everything that vet school entails and make sure you're willing to survive through it. But beyond that, I wouldn't worry much about it. Second and third years were absolutely miserable, and made me want to punch people in the face when they would tell me I should be living the dream. But you know what, all of that passes very quickly in hindsight. Remember that your goal is to become a veterinarian, noy a vet student.

I've loooved clinics thus far, and it doesn't phase me how much work it is. Even with 9 months to go, I feel so much more confident that I'm finally on my way to becoming a good doctor. Everything is coming together nicely, and all the hard work from previous years is paying off. Recently, I did an emergency exploratory surgery on a dog with like 20 cm of dead intestines, chopped it out, sewed the two ends together, and voila the dog lived! Dog was doing extremely well 5 days post-op. As long as things didn't go south over the weekend, she will probably be fine. I managed her entire care afterward (with guidance of course), and it was a tremendous learning experience. I don't think I could have pictured myself being this doctorly and independent just 4 months ago.

Yup 75% of vet school will suck your soul, but there is def light at the end of the tunnel. A debt ridden light, but a light nonetheless.

That's amazing. I'm so used to feeling incompetent and in-the-way. It will be so great to finally have some clue and to provide care. Thanks, Minnerbelle.

Members don't see this ad.

I've loooved clinics thus far, and it doesn't phase me how much work it is. Even with 9 months to go, I feel so much more confident that I'm finally on my way to becoming a good doctor. Everything is coming together nicely, and all the hard work from previous years is paying off.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I agree! I was terrified to start clinics, but I've realized that I know and remember a lot more than I thought I did. And it's nice to finally meet real clients and see that you can make a difference in their lives. :)

This really gives me hope for the coming years. I can't wait to start meeting clients!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's amazing. I'm so used to feeling incompetent and in-the-way. It will be so great to finally have some clue and to provide care. Thanks, Minnerbelle.

That's not a bad feeling either per se. To be honest, you're going to feel like you're winging it for a while :laugh: It wasn't until my third year of residency that I started feeling pretty good about my abilities. I imagine it's the same for general practice - it takes time to develop your self-confidence even after all that schooling.

Since we have some fourth years in here, I want to put in a quick bit of advice.

The students I remember the best weren't the ones who did the most detailed reports or answered all my quizzes/questions correctly, they were the ones with GOOD ATTITUDES. Seriously, y'all have no idea how much better and easier it makes our (residents) lives if we have a friendly, enthusiastic group of students. We don't expect perfection, we expect a basic level of competency and a smile.

Reactions: 1 user
The students I remember the best weren't the ones who did the most detailed reports or answered all my quizzes/questions correctly, they were the ones with GOOD ATTITUDES. Seriously, y'all have no idea how much better and easier it makes our (residents) lives if we have a friendly, enthusiastic group of students. We don't expect perfection, we expect a basic level of competency and a smile.

Good to know, even from the perspective of someone about to start school. I always liked the enthusiastic, friendly students as a TA in undergrad, but it's easy to forget to make the effort yourself when you're the student.

Thanks WTF! :)

Sorry to threadjack a bit, but...

I was already thinking as I read some of the complaints in this thread, I wonder about for-profit schools? As someone who's only experienced public schools/colleges, I've ended up with some terrible professors who just don't give a **** because they have tenure, as well as having had professors that go well above and beyond their job requirements and are really invested in their students.

Hard to know with a sample size of one (Western) to go on for now, but you guys think for-profit American vet schools will beat traditional universities at hiring better teaching faculty and be more responsive to student feedback? I think it's an interesting issue, especially since for-profit vet schools are likely to be increasing in number. (Midwestern in AZ is taking its first applicants now.)

Well, both Midwestern and Western are not for profit, so it will be really hard to know as I can not think of a single for profit vet school in the US. ;)

1334416192202_9851953.png

Week 3 and this is already real life. I hate all the things.

I love the someecard.

I hated vet school with a vengeance for the first 3 years. Now it's just more of a dislike :p

Just remember, it's a means to an end, and it does end, and there are breaks, and clinics are better. Hang in there fellow school hater:luck:

The poor educational experience at a financial cost no one (neither students nor customer/consumers of veterinary services) can afford along with the mental stress and increased risk of suicide along with "leadership" that refuses to address problems with solutions that would cause them any pain (ie less schools with fewer jobs for them) and instead will screw the profession and students over, then why do you want to do it?

Certain aspects of veterinary medicine begin to look like a cult more and more to me.

The poor educational experience at a financial cost no one (neither students nor customer/consumers of veterinary services) can afford along with the mental stress and increased risk of suicide along with "leadership" that refuses to address problems with solutions that would cause them any pain (ie less schools with fewer jobs for them) and instead will screw the profession and students over, then why do you want to do it?

Certain aspects of veterinary medicine begin to look like a cult more and more to me.

Why do you continue to hang around SDN and troll here with your negativity? No offense, but you are a DVM and if you dislike it so much you do have the ability to change your job if you so choose. Yet instead you come on here and either start threads on the depressing reality of vet med (which we are all aware of and have discussed ad nauseum) or add your negativity to already started threads to try to dissuade people from the profession. I have yet to see you helpful or supportive in any thread on this forum.

I happen to like veterinary school for the most part, but can sympathesize with those who do not. Sure there are parts that are stressful and exam time can be very overwhelming for me, but I am not overall miserable in the path I have chosen. But if someone else is and chooses to vent on here about it, why judge them for it. This forum is here for that, to support people on their way into the veterinary profession.

What is your purpose here?

Why do you continue to hang around SDN and troll here with your negativity? No offense, but you are a DVM and if you dislike it so much you do have the ability to change your job if you so choose. Yet instead you come on here and either start threads on the depressing reality of vet med (which we are all aware of and have discussed ad nauseum) or add your negativity to already started threads to try to dissuade people from the profession. I have yet to see you helpful or supportive in any thread on this forum.

I happen to like veterinary school for the most part, but can sympathesize with those who do not. Sure there are parts that are stressful and exam time can be very overwhelming for me, but I am not overall miserable in the path I have chosen. But if someone else is and chooses to vent on here about it, why judge them for it. This forum is here for that, to support people on their way into the veterinary profession.

What is your purpose here?

:thumbup:

I'm in the process of applying. And while I know the downside/risks to vet school, debt, and the profession, your "life sucks" attitude is neither helpful nor productive.

Cheer up, Doc... :beer:

Members don't see this ad :)
Your responses indicate I touched a nerve. However, I am out of veterinary medicine because the excess capacity has made the likelihood of making a profit on my investment in my human capital through veterinary school less likely as the prices for veterinary services fall due to increased competition. Also I oppose further funding for any investments in veterinary education by the federal government which will allow you students to not pay for every red cent you take out in loans for both the principal and interest which you take on without thinking of your ability to pay back in the future. If you are the least economically literate you will understand similar behavior drove our recent housing bubble as well as past economic bubbles such as the bubble for tulips in Holland in the17th century where tulip bulbs went for much as a house. As an economist with interest in behavioral economics and particularly the economics of identity, your responses lend credence to some of my hypotheses.

If interested in the economics of identity, please read Identity Economics by George Akerlof (Nobel 2001) and Rachel Kranton. Veterinary students are such an interesting test group!!

Your responses indicate I touched a nerve. However, I am out of veterinary medicine because the excess capacity has made the likelihood of making a profit on my investment in my human capital through veterinary school less likely as the prices for veterinary services fall due to increased competition. Also I oppose further funding for any investments in veterinary education by the federal government which will allow you students to not pay for every red cent you take out in loans for both the principal and interest which you take on without thinking of your ability to pay back in the future. If you are the least economically literate you will understand similar behavior drove our recent housing bubble as well as past economic bubbles such as the bubble for tulips in Holland in the17th century where tulip bulbs went for much as a house. As an economist with interest in behavioral economics and particularly the economics of identity, your responses lend credence to some of my hypotheses.

If interested in the economics of identity, please read Identity Economics by George Akerlof (Nobel 2001) and Rachel Kranton. Veterinary students are such an interesting test group!!

Ah, blanket statements and sweeping generalizations. Gotta love them.

Of course since I'm a vet student I'm obviously too stupid to have given any thought to economics. Silly me, guess all that time I spent calculating my post-graduation payments and researching my financial options was just a figment of my imagination. :rolleyes:

No, to be completely honest, I am just sick of your asinine posts. And this is just another one of them. Love the holier than thou attitude you put on. And assuming something about a group of people only makes an ass out of one person. :rolleyes:

Starting to wonder if you were ever really a vet (seeing as you supposedly now have moved on) or just feel the need to come on here and stir the pot with your ridiculous drivel. Take your high horse and steer it somewhere else.

You should probably put to work contacting the associations responsible and not spouting off on a message board... If you care THAT MUCH.

Robert J Nix DVM, University of Georgia 1992, resident of Sherwood Oregon
[email protected]

I stood up to a humane society director who wanted me to spay overweight, in heat deep chested dogs like Rotties without basic life support, ie IV catheter. She said she would not allow that as it would slow down the number of procedures I could do per day I made a complaint to state board, state board contacted me 8 months later to begin investigation and took the word of the HUMANE SOCIETY director and issued me a letter of caution. I never trust state boards to do much until the manure hits the fan, see the whole issue with Dr Pol etc. I have followed the ethics guidelines of the AVMA and the state boards beyond the letter in two other instances in which I was fired. I do not trust the profession or the schools to do what is best for everyone and not just themselves. That is not the professionalism I learned from my father who was respected industry wide in the high risk industry of nuclear power..Be nice to me as I may be the one to save the profession from itself.

And isn't it funny that the AVMA has said nothing about Dr Pol., he obviously downgrades what people's expectations for quality care when the profession needs more clients to pay for good basic quality care that benefits pets as well as will pay you a living salary.. Who benefits by their silence?

Robert J Nix DVM, University of Georgia 1992, resident of Sherwood Oregon
[email protected]

I stood up to a humane society director who wanted me to spay overweight, in heat deep chested dogs like Rotties without basic life support, ie IV catheter. She said she would not allow that as it would slow down the number of procedures I could do per day I made a complaint to state board, state board contacted me 8 months later to begin investigation and took the word of the HUMANE SOCIETY director and issued me a letter of caution. I never trust state boards to do much until the manure hits the fan, see the whole issue with Dr Pol etc. I have followed the ethics guidelines of the AVMA and the state boards beyond the letter in two other instances in which I was fired. I do not trust the profession or the schools to do what is best for everyone and not just themselves. That is not the professionalism I learned from my father who was respected industry wide in the high risk industry of nuclear power..Be nice to me as I may be the one to save the profession from itself.

You need an ego check.... Big time.

I've done my research on the economics, I know what I'm getting into... I don't need you beating the dead horse and being negative, unhappy, disgruntled vet. All you post is negative ****e and you aren't even in the profession anymore. What pre-vets need is honesty, not rose-coloured glasses Penny, and not negative Nancy. I don't want to hear your negativity and your theories about future economics. Also, get that ego checked, you aren't the be all end all savior of the profession.

Better living through Economics

From the freakonomics blog
www.freakonomics.com/2011/09/30/new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-the-upside-of -quitting/

It is good to know that ketamine is being used to treat acute depression in sub anesthetic dosages so your antidepressant costs will not be too high.

And think of one last thing. If you students did not pursue the career then then the schools' funding would dry up and they would have to change the schools and the curriculum and make it more relevant and less costly. Your tuition payments just tell them they can keep charging you more and more and not change things for the better as you will pay any price for that degree. Talk to any recent new law school grads recently?

Dr. Nix, I doubt that you are out of veterinary medicine due to competition from other vets.

It's probably because one Google search shows that you were fired from Banfield, sued them, and your lawsuit was dismissed.

To me it sounds like you were out of a job and didn't get the $499,000 that you were asking for. Now you're taking it out on us.

I'm sorry that you feel that you were treated unfairly by your workplace, but that does not mean that you should interact with us in this fashion. Since you've been out of the profession for 3 years, how do you know what the job market is like? And if you say that the job market is bad because you aren't being hired... well that's probably due to the lawsuit. : /

Also, in your above post you mention a humane society and state board intervention. Do you have any proof of this?
In the Banfield case you initially filed a complaint with your state board, but then withdrew it before the investigation was complete.

Here is a 3 part article series about the lawsuit from VIN News Source:
http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=15884

Last edited:
This isn't about the AVMA or the future of the profession. This is about one bitter man who has found himself jobless, unemployable, and forced to leave a career he paid thousands to obtain. Like far too many others in our country, he's discovered that it's easier to point fingers and rant on message boards than actually take responsibility for his own circumstances.

Better living through Economics

From the freakonomics blog
www.freakonomics.com/2011/09/30/new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-the-upside-of -quitting/

It is good to know that ketamine is being used to treat acute depression in sub anesthetic dosages so your antidepressant costs will not be too high.

And think of one last thing. If you students did not pursue the career then then the schools' funding would dry up and they would have to change the schools and the curriculum and make it more relevant and less costly. Your tuition payments just tell them they can keep charging you more and more and not change things for the better as you will pay any price for that degree. Talk to any recent new law school grads recently?

Yup, it's all the fault of "us students". And yes, you're right that if every veterinary student walked out of school tomorrow and refused to return, the schools would be forced to change. But there's a very basic principle of which you seem to be completely ignorant, despite all your high and mighty talk about economics: supply and demand. There will always be a demand for more seats in veterinary schools. This is an extremely competitive profession, one which many people will spend years trying to enter. For every currently enrolled veterinary student, there are thousands of other current and future applicants ready and waiting for a seat.

Even if you could convince every single current veterinary student (which is completely unfeasible for a variety of reasons) to get up and walk out of veterinary school, there would still be more than enough new bodies to take their places and pay tuition. No matter how many of us care about finding solutions to the problems our profession is facing, there are still hundreds of others who couldn't give a damn about the future of the profession and just want to see "DVM" next to their names. You aren't going to save the profession by convincing concerned students to throw away the thousands they've already spent on tuition so that a less informed, less scrupulous individual can take their seat. That's just ridiculous.

So yeah, keep blaming us for your problems. I'm sure your ranting and blaming the hundred or so of us vet students who are frequent posters on here is making a huge impact on our profession. Clearly you've got it all figured out. Please excuse me if I don't hold my breath waiting for you to single-handedly "save" our profession. :rolleyes:

I just googled "Joseph Knecht DVM" and it seems that he makes the rounds, complaining everywhere he goes. The internet is riddled with his negativity. Ignore.

Be nice to me as I may be the one to save the profession from itself.

It's funny that this conversation started with a reference to cults, because I feel like your idea of "saving the profession from itself" would be something along the lines of Jim Jones telling us to drink the Kool-Aid.

Ugh! I just went to VBB to read todays post, and Dr Nix (aka "JosephKnechtDVM") has made comments about the profession there too!

I can't go anywhere without reading his complaints.

So this thread appears to have jumped the shark, but I'll throw in another opinion on the original topic.

In my first year, I was definitely one of those who HATED vet school. Sitting in the same lecture hall for 4-8 hours at a time, being subjected to hours of bland PowerPoint presentations and constantly reeking of formaldehyde was not my cup of tea. I generally don't absorb much from lectures and resented being forced to sit in class all day only to learn the material on my own later.

By second year, I had learned to deal with it a bit better, and I liked (most of) 3rd and 4th year. Most of my classmates agreed that vet school got progressively better. 3rd year was a turning point, as we started doing surgeries and taking electives that suited our interests. I even miss some things about clinics now - changing gears and exploring a new area when rotations changed every few weeks, learning from people who were experts in their field, and seeing crazy/zebra cases get worked up and sometimes resolved (also, the clients who would spend the money for that to happen!)

Economics was a big reason why I didn't want to do vet school anymore. But I still get annoyed by his negative posts because they just don't seem to be very productive. It's one thing to point out bad things, it's another to try and shove it down everyone's throats.

Economics was a big reason why I didn't want to do vet school anymore. But I still get annoyed by his negative posts because they just don't seem to be very productive. It's one thing to point out bad things, it's another to try and shove it down everyone's throats.

Some of his comments over at AVMA weren't far off-target, actually. His comments about practical training weren't well-written, but I agree with the premise; we don't get enough hands-on skill development in school. That's true.

But his other comments were juvenile and pointless, like calling the AVMA the "American Veterinary *****s Association," as if that's going to help. Similarly, blaming current students for an industry slide that's been going on for a very, very long time? That's .... well, there's no other word for that than 'dumb'. And what's going to get noticed - the on-target comments about topics we need to address or the juvenile nonsense? The latter, obviously.

I think Nix is just one of those people who sees the problems, probably has some pretty reasonable ideas to contribute, but never learned how to be constructive and make positive change. Probably what got him a state board 'letter of caution' and fired from two jobs, if I were to guess. I'd bet my right arm that at the heart of it, he had some legitimate gripes with Banfield ... but that he probably yelled and screamed and kicked his feet and management got big wide eyes and said "this guy is crazy" and it went downhill from there.

Some of his comments over at AVMA weren't far off-target, actually. His comments about practical training weren't well-written, but I agree with the premise; we don't get enough hands-on skill development in school. That's true.

But his other comments were juvenile and pointless, like calling the AVMA the "American Veterinary *****s Association," as if that's going to help. Similarly, blaming current students for an industry slide that's been going on for a very, very long time? That's .... well, there's no other word for that than 'dumb'. And what's going to get noticed - the on-target comments about topics we need to address or the juvenile nonsense? The latter, obviously.

I think Nix is just one of those people who sees the problems, probably has some pretty reasonable ideas to contribute, but never learned how to be constructive and make positive change. Probably what got him a state board 'letter of caution' and fired from two jobs, if I were to guess. I'd bet my right arm that at the heart of it, he had some legitimate gripes with Banfield ... but that he probably yelled and screamed and kicked his feet and management got big wide eyes and said "this guy is crazy" and it went downhill from there.

Sounds like the first thing the vet told me while I was home to be sure I am good at through school and out of school: "Communication, communication, and communication." She mentioned it numerous times and kept stressing the point of good communication... with other vets, clients, employees, etc. The other vet that was there agreed... she said there are some vets that are awesome, smart, great dr's but they lack the ability to communicate effectively so clients tend to not come back or they get on their colleagues nerves; she also mentioned that she knows some not so great vets but because they communicate well with clients the clients keep coming back. So the one thing I learned while at home: communication is of the utmost importance.

Sounds like the first thing the vet told me while I was home to be sure I am good at through school and out of school: "Communication, communication, and communication." She mentioned it numerous times and kept stressing the point of good communication... with other vets, clients, employees, etc. The other vet that was there agreed... she said there are some vets that are awesome, smart, great dr's but they lack the ability to communicate effectively so clients tend to not come back or they get on their colleagues nerves; she also mentioned that she knows some not so great vets but because they communicate well with clients the clients keep coming back. So the one thing I learned while at home: communication is of the utmost importance.

Totally. It doesn't do you any good at all to be right if you're so poor at communicating that nobody wants to listen to you (or can't understand you).

I routinely hired less skilled systems engineers in favor of 'solidly' skilled people who could communicate well. In the end, they always ended up being way more crucial members of my team than the ones I hired earlier in my career (when I looked for the superstar skilled people without as much emphasis on teamwork and communication). Those employees always ended up being a problem and often ended up getting let go or encouraged to move on.

Bumping this thread cause I'm starting to really feel this way about vet school and I hate it.

I really wish I enjoyed school more. There's the occasional, "this is so cool!" moment, but it's wearing and they're no longer frequent enough to keep me going with much optimism.

I swear I've partially entered a depression since starting. Revisiting my alma mater this past weekend and seeing all the chittering pre-vets all excited about things really made me realize how far down school has dragged me. It seems like a lifetime ago that I was a starry-eyed pre-vet just entering school and skeptical of older posts about how awful school can make you feel. The parents don't remotely understand and simply think I've been wrong my whole life about what I've wanted...which isn't true. I know what I want, I honestly just thought I would be enjoying this more.

*sigh*

I know there are some of you that have been / are here. I just needed to get this out and stop pretending for the sake of others. Every time someone asks me how school is going that isn't in vet school or knows much about it, I put on a face for them. Even slight honesty seems to trigger this expression of confusion and I don't want to bother trying to explain it. Hell, I didn't believe much of the hate myself before entering, so I wouldn't expect them to understand. That in itself is depressing. I really hope this gets better.

Bumping this thread cause I'm starting to really feel this way about vet school and I hate it.

I really wish I enjoyed school more. There's the occasional, "this is so cool!" moment, but it's wearing and they're no longer frequent enough to keep me going with much optimism.

I swear I've partially entered a depression since starting. Revisiting my alma mater this past weekend and seeing all the chittering pre-vets all excited about things really made me realize how far down school has dragged me. It seems like a lifetime ago that I was a starry-eyed pre-vet just entering school and skeptical of older posts about how awful school can make you feel. The parents don't remotely understand and simply think I've been wrong my whole life about what I've wanted...which isn't true. I know what I want, I honestly just thought I would be enjoying this more.

*sigh*

I know there are some of you that have been / are here. I just needed to get this out and stop pretending for the sake of others. Every time someone asks me how school is going that isn't in vet school or knows much about it, I put on a face for them. Even slight honesty seems to trigger this expression of confusion and I don't want to bother trying to explain it. Hell, I didn't believe much of the hate myself before entering, so I wouldn't expect them to understand. That in itself is depressing. I really hope this gets better.

I'm definitely warn down more than I was last year too. I still don't absolutely hate school, but it's definitely draining. My response to people when they ask how school is usually something along the lines of "I'm surviving" or "it's going." Most people seem to get it and don't ask too many questions beyond that.

I think the thing that is really helping me keep going is that I've been involved more in clubs and wet labs. Pretty much every weekend I'm volunteering at a shelter/TNR doing sx or just helping PE and vaccinate cats (sometimes dogs too). I'm also trying to shadow more in the exotics department (have to skip class sometimes) and am working on fundraising our exotic symposium in a couple months.

I've also just started exercising more and trying to eat healthier and actually cook and it seems to be helping. I've actually started taking pole dancing classes with classmates that I didn't really think would be interested and we're having a blast. We all look like idiots at times, but it's one night a week where we kind of just forget everything and get some laughs in. Having a dog I think has also been a help cause he's always so happy to see me...and you can't help but smile at a wagging tail.

I think all I'm trying to say is that getting involved in things has made classes more enjoyable. Even the vet school related events don't seem too related to class because it's some stuff I did before school, and well, it's hands on. Also, lecture-wise, second year has been way better than first in the interest factor.

*sigh*

When I get asked how I like vet school my most frequent response is, well, it sucks. I like living here and being here but I hate school and that's what I tell people. Most of the time I just find it to be really draining but some weeks I want to die. And I haven't had a week yet where I actually like vet school. The only reason I survive is because I skip a lot of classes (everything is recorded and you can watch at double speed) and refuse to study more than I absolutely feel is necessary.

I honestly find it makes me feel better to tell people the truth though. And once I explain what a typical week is like, people actually understand. It makes me more sad to fake it and then I just feel guilty that I have to lie about it because it does blow. Accepting that vet school sucks and that some weeks are worse than others helps me feel more sane. Trying to just see it for what it is: finite. This too shall pass.

*sigh*

Two things...
#1 Remember that your dream is to be a vet. Not a vet student. This is a means to an end and it's okay if you don't enjoy it!
#2 Please don't hesitate to see a counselor/therapist. I have seen vet school mentally break down a lot of otherwise healthy, tough, sane people (including myself) and sometimes having that unbiased ear can be really helpful. As my friend said "The one hour a week I see the counselor is the one hour a week I am guaranteed to have for myself with no distractions."
Hang in there! Summer is coming!

I'm definitely warn down more than I was last year too. I still don't absolutely hate school, but it's definitely draining. My response to people when they ask how school is usually something along the lines of "I'm surviving" or "it's going." Most people seem to get it and don't ask too many questions beyond that.

I think the thing that is really helping me keep going is that I've been involved more in clubs and wet labs. Pretty much every weekend I'm volunteering at a shelter/TNR doing sx or just helping PE and vaccinate cats (sometimes dogs too). I'm also trying to shadow more in the exotics department (have to skip class sometimes) and am working on fundraising our exotic symposium in a couple months.

I've also just started exercising more and trying to eat healthier and actually cook and it seems to be helping. I've actually started taking pole dancing classes with classmates that I didn't really think would be interested and we're having a blast. We all look like idiots at times, but it's one night a week where we kind of just forget everything and get some laughs in. Having a dog I think has also been a help cause he's always so happy to see me...and you can't help but smile at a wagging tail.

I think all I'm trying to say is that getting involved in things has made classes more enjoyable. Even the vet school related events don't seem too related to class because it's some stuff I did before school, and well, it's hands on. Also, lecture-wise, second year has been way better than first in the interest factor.

A routine has definitely helped out some....at the beginning, I was very much a little kid that was like "omg, I have my own place....no parents, no roommates....I can eat what I want, go to bed when I want, sleep in until I want, not clean up until I feel like it...etc." lol. We have a lot of clinically relevant stuff going on, but it's all technically classwork. I love clinical skills, but the OSCEs are so incredibly stressful that it almost balances out how much I enjoy learning suture patterns, PEs etc. Just gotta go with it, I guess. That's great that you're really involved outside of school with the shelter and exercise classes. I will be on the look out for more stuff to do. :)

And yeah, if I didn't have my cat I would be sunk. Pets make such a difference!

When I get asked how I like vet school my most frequent response is, well, it sucks. I like living here and being here but I hate school and that's what I tell people. Most of the time I just find it to be really draining but some weeks I want to die. And I haven't had a week yet where I actually like vet school. The only reason I survive is because I skip a lot of classes (everything is recorded and you can watch at double speed) and refuse to study more than I absolutely feel is necessary.

I honestly find it makes me feel better to tell people the truth though. And once I explain what a typical week is like, people actually understand. It makes me more sad to fake it and then I just feel guilty that I have to lie about it because it does blow. Accepting that vet school sucks and that some weeks are worse than others helps me feel more sane. Trying to just see it for what it is: finite. This too shall pass.

I can understand your approach here. I admire you for being able to tell it like it is.....I honestly feel like it's hurting the people I talk to when I say I'm glad to be there, but really not enjoying my time or that it's sucking the life out of me. They're upset for me probably, but it's seemingly confusing as to why I wouldn't like it...."It's vet school! It's what you've always wanted! You're so smart, I'm sure you're just doubting yourself unnecessarily....I know you don't actually hate it". I probably just need to deal with the responses, but every time I hear it I feel so guilty for feeling the way I do, so I've begun to avoid telling the truth in order to avoid hearing this.

Two things...
#1 Remember that your dream is to be a vet. Not a vet student. This is a means to an end and it's okay if you don't enjoy it!
#2 Please don't hesitate to see a counselor/therapist. I have seen vet school mentally break down a lot of otherwise healthy, tough, sane people (including myself) and sometimes having that unbiased ear can be really helpful. As my friend said "The one hour a week I see the counselor is the one hour a week I am guaranteed to have for myself with no distractions."
Hang in there! Summer is coming!

Thanks bunnity. :) My poor boyfriend has been loaded down with all of my stresses and I should probably unload on someone that it doesn't take such a toll on. I've thought about talking to someone, but haven't made that step. I think it's about time I saw to that. It's nice to hear that it's ok that I don't like it. It's still such a shock that I don't. I think the honeymoon phase probably just wore off and now I'm stuck in a marriage that I'm miserable with.

I didn't read the entire thread because it's early and ain't nobody got time for that, but here I am.

Vet school sucks. When people ask me what I'm in school for, I tell them, and their first question seems to always be "Oh! Do you love it?!" I feel like a terrible person for saying no, so I typically come up with some roundabout way of saying that it sucks. The actual school part really bites. Clinics are better, but are still kind of awful. A lot of people at school think I'm crazy for having a job as a vet tech during school. I don't work often, maybe twice a month, more if we have a vacation or something, but just that little bit of time away from the "ivory tower" and in the real world really helps to keep me sane. One of the things I find most frustrating about the vet school is the lack of regard for clients' finances. Being in a local clinic, where we work with clients and alleviating patient suffering is of top priority is a welcome break from the school where the diagnosis is the most important thing. Yes, diagnosis can be important, but in many cases it isn't going to change the treatment or the outcome. Plus, I'm not going to have an MRI or a linear accelerator in my practice, so perhaps they should be teaching us how to work with what we have.

Anyway, that was a rant. Moral of the story: vet school sucks, clinics are slightly better than the classroom, you can still have a social life so don't let people tell you that you'll be locked away for 4 years...it's not true unless you make it that way, if you can find a super flexible job like mine, I highly recommend it. Not only does it help you remember why you're putting yourself through the torture, but it gets you a little extra beer money.

Reactions: 1 users

*sigh*

First year was very difficult for me. Second year has been better, probably because I have adjusted some and don't worry about the minute details and I *attempt* to not stress out. (I still stress big time at exams). Overall, I am doing much better this year compared to last. Hang in there! This is just a crummy stepping stone on the way to being a vet, it will be over soon. If you need to talk, I am around. :)

First year was very difficult for me. Second year has been better, probably because I have adjusted some and don't worry about the minute details and I *attempt* to not stress out. (I still stress big time at exams). Overall, I am doing much better this year compared to last. Hang in there! This is just a crummy stepping stone on the way to being a vet, it will be over soon. If you need to talk, I am around. :)

Thanks buddy. :)

I was going back through old facebook posts today. I went back to before I started vet school, when I was first accepted to vet school and I posted this:

"3 years, 17 schools applied to, 12 rejections (possibly more), 6 interviews (possibly more) and lots of money later; I have FINALLY been accepted to vet schoool!!! I was accepted to the University of Edinburgh this morning!! I am so excited!! Determination really does pay off!!!"

It is sometimes nice to go back in time and realize that I put in a lot of hard work to get here and that while it is crummy at times, I am learning and I am getting through it. It is nice to be reminded of how excited I was and how it felt to finally get that acceptance. It doesn't get rid of any of the crummy-ness or the fact that I am many weeks behind in studying. It just reminds me of how hard I did work to get to this point and then I read older posts from back when I was working in the vet clinic and remembering my time spent there, the good times and the not so good times and overall this helps me to realize that I am where I should be. And while the info cramming, late nights, stress and occasional periods of depression suck, I will get through it. :)

Reactions: 3 users
If you need to talk to someone, definitely do it. Don't be too proud to go or think "Well, everyone else seems to be doing fine, I must be defective."

I've always been prone to anxiety (I'm just flighty, that plus the ADD) and I feel like vet school 1) magnified it beyond belief and 2) permanently scarred any ability I had to deal with it.

If I had dealt with the problem as it arose and gotten help, the outcome may have been different. Instead, I stuffed it all into the back of my head only to have it explode as a near nervous breakdown in third year (I almost left the program) and to this day I have coping issues.

I don't say this to scare anyone, just to say y'all need to take care of your brains as well as use them in vet school. It's the only brain you have and you're going to use it for the rest of your life - be nice to it.

I had the nervous breakdown last year. It was really bad. Vet school has a special, unique way of crushing your soul. I agree with talking to someone if needed. I am probably the worst offender of not talking about things. I still have a difficult time discussing things because I have always believed that I just have to be strong and suck it up and deal with whatever happens, but I am realizing how incredibly unhealthy that is.

Yup. And it has nothing to do with emotional strength or mental abilities or anything like that. I like to say that the smartest people are always a bit nuts :D Anyone who says vet school never affected them is lying or stupid or both.

Reactions: 3 users

I have to totally agree with you. As obnoxious as this guy seems, its disappointing to see that he has such poor venting/communication skills.... I see this a lot... people who may have valid input /complaints/concerns are not able to get their points across because they don't present them in a way that can be received without exasperated looks and sighs of annoyance. We do need current DVMs who will call things as they are, that are on the other side to let current students an prevets understand what is going on in the field firsthand, but it gets convoluted with unnecessary bs that they spew out. Its too bad. He may have had real insight, but its falling on deaf ears cause he can't communicate. -_-