LIST: MCAT mnemonics and memory aids!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mnemonics are essential to survival in med school, and I think they would be useful on the MCAT as well.

Let's make a list of good MCAT mnemonics to help remember details!

Some of these may be too detailed but some may actually help us remember something thats always confused us. If it works we should get a good list of mnemonics to be able to print out so we can study the ones we like for the MCAT. Just click "thread tools" at the top of the thread and then "show printable version" :thumbup:

Some I know off the top of my head:

CUT Pye: Cytosine, uracil, and thymine are PYramidines.
Pure As Gold: Guanine and Adenine are Purines.

Never Let Monkeys Eat Bananas:
Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, Basophils

Maggie May Does Not Smoke: Hardy weinberg requires no:
Mutation
Migration
(genetic) Drift
Nonrandom mating
Selection

:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
spumoni620 said:
Does anyone have a trick for keeping the boiling points and melting points straight? For ex: cis vs. trans, branching vs. unbranching, order of boiling for alcohols, ketones, carb acids, esters, etc. etc....

i know cis alkenes boil higher and melt lower (??) than trans, but the branching and stuff always messes me up.

Thanks a bunch!

this is really lame, but it worked for me. just think in terms of what's GREATER for each... a "cyst" is like a boil (like on your skin), so cis has a higher bp; "trans"fat (like margerine) melts, so trans has a higher mp;

another good mnemonic i have unrelated to this is for calcitonin-- just think of it as calci-bone-in, and you won't forget that it puts Ca++ in the bone. hope these help

i thought of a couple more quick things for the phys sciences:

For a galvanic (voltaic) cell, think of a "volcano" which erupts spontaneously. Also, for the order of stuff ie Al l Al 3+(1M) ll Co2+(1M) l Co remember your ABCs-- Anode l Barrier l Cathode

BrOnsted-LOwery- has to do w/prOtOns
LEwis- has to do w/ElEctrons
ArrHenius- has to do w/H+, OH-

Finally, for the change in length of solids equation, just think the change in L is ALOT (alpha L delta T) (w/the symbols looks like it spells ALOT)

redsoxfan said:
this is really lame, but it worked for me. just think in terms of what's GREATER for each... a "cyst" is like a boil (like on your skin), so cis has a higher bp; "trans"fat (like margerine) melts, so trans has a higher mp;

another good mnemonic i have unrelated to this is for calcitonin-- just think of it as calci-bone-in, and you won't forget that it puts Ca++ in the bone. hope these help

I like the cis-thing....

For me, calcintonin: increases the tone of calcium in the bone.

trig- might help for physics unless u already have a mnemonic for this:

see one hippy, catch another hippy, trippin over acid:
sin- opp/hypotenuse
cos- adj/hypotenuse
tan- opp/adj

i thought of a couple today:

For remembering what mirrors diverge/converge:

A convicted (convex) murderer (mirror) will die (diverge).

A murderer (mirror) who caves (concave) [or hides in a cave, whatever], will just be a con (converging).

For distinguishing transformation/transduction/conjugation/binary fission:

First off, binary fission is the only 1 listed that is a form of reproduction. The others are all types of genetic recombination via DNA transfer. What distinguishes them is the method of DNA transfer into the bacteria.

So, to separate the 3, first break apart the words. "trans" means across, whereas "con" means with. Therefore, "con"jugation is the only 1 of the 3 that is bacterium to bacterium directly.

Now for the other two "trans" ones: the best i can suggest here is that if the phrase "viral transduction" isn't familiar to you, then think of STDs, also known as "VD," and how viruses can cause VD (transDuction is the only 1 w/a d).

Lastly, we have transformation, which is the transfer of genetic DNA from a medium (ie agarose gel) to a bacterium. perhaps the phrase "transforming media" will help.

ok, hope these help. if anyone has any good ones for PS or orgo, that would be awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually forget about mnemonics. It is just tricking your memory into remembering something but not actually developing your memorizing ability. HERE is a special course that will train your memory to the point when you won’t need special tricks and memorizing large volume of medical data will become easy and natural. You brain, much like your physical muscles needs exercise in order to stay fit. This course gives you plenty of exercises along with a solid theoretical system that when combined will produce the skill you are looking for.

Histidine is a basic residue at physiological pH...coming from a biochem major...;)

Histidine is an acidic amino acid.... per Berkely preview. Pka of R group was around 6.... correct me if you're sure that's wrong. (I looked it up after reading that post)

Members don't see this ad :)
the best one of all... you won't forget it...

CMEN... :laugh:

connective, muscle, epithelial, nervous

the bases:
*just like someone else said, cytosine and thymine have 'y' for pYrimidine
*PUrine has TWO rings... it rhymes
*AT and GC bind to each other since AT are both straight and GC are both curved. 3 is also curved which shows the # of h bonds on GC.

I know there are already plenty of mneumonics for this but i have never forgotten what my prof. told me my freshmen year!
Babies are PURE(ines) and they go GA-GA
Pyramids are sharp and they can CUT:cool:

Not sure this will ever come up in the MCAT, but I created this one a few days ago and thought I'd make a contribution:

Tell Diana Misha Met My Elephant:
Telencephalon, Diencephalon, Mesencephalon, Metencephalon, Myelencephalon

:oops: heh ... I'm so proud....

skeletal muscle is the only muscle type that is voluntary because its the only thing you can move yourself.

It was either the 2nd or 3rd page of this thread that someone post that: if gas does work, then w= +; if work is done one gas, then w= -; when I did the practice problems in EK chemistry workbook, I found out that w= - if gas does work and w= + if work is done on gas...could anyone confirm this for me? cheers!

King Philip Came Over For Great Soup!

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

I can beat this... but you really don't need a mnemonic for it. here it is anyway, cause it's funny:

Kinky people can orgasm from grocery shopping:

(Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species)

The best way to remember the hierarchical taxa:

"Dear Kevin, Please Come Over For Gay Sex"

Domain, Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.

Any TV Funhouse fans out there?

MESO-directing (DEactivating):
"Queer Ethan Stood Near Cal, Cliff, & Corey"
Q Quaternary amino -NR3+
E Ester -COOR
S Sulfonic acid -SO3H
N Nitro -NO2
C Carbonyl -CHO
C Carboxyl -COOH
C Cyano -CN

O/P-directing (ACTIVATING):
"Always Hold Ana's Arm... b/c it makes her HAP(py)"
A Alkyl -R
H Halogen -X (only DEactivating O/P director)
A Alkoxyl -OR
A Amino -NH2, -NHR, -NR2 (not -NR3+)
H Hydroxyl -OH
A Amide -NHCOR
P Phenyl -C6H5

man i just spent WAY too much time on this post. time is too precious when studying for this monster.. i'm out :eek:

Last edited:
Mnemonics are essential to survival in med school, and I think they would be useful on the MCAT as well.

Let's make a list of good MCAT mnemonics to help remember details!

Some of these may be too detailed but some may actually help us remember something thats always confused us. If it works we should get a good list of mnemonics to be able to print out so we can study the ones we like for the MCAT. Just click "thread tools" at the top of the thread and then "show printable version" :thumbup:

Some I know off the top of my head:

CUT Pye: Cytosine, uracil, and thymine are PYramidines.
Pure As Gold: Guanine and Adenine are Purines.

Never Let Monkeys Eat Bananas:
Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, Basophils

Maggie May Does Not Smoke: Hardy weinberg requires no:
Mutation
Migration
(genetic) Drift
Nonrandom mating
Selection

:clap:

nice

Hehe... It's crappy but it helps me enough. To remember the WBC & their functions:

2 Pages, Neu & Mono, 2x alleged Eos & Basil limped to burma

2 Pages, Neu & Mono:
Neutrophil - Phagocytic
Monocyte - Phagocytic (become macrophage in tissue)

2x alleged Eos & Basil
Eosinophil - Allergic reaction
Basophil - Allergic reaction (also make mast cells)

limped To BurmaLymphatic - T-cell & B-cell

It was either the 2nd or 3rd page of this thread that someone post that: if gas does work, then w= +; if work is done one gas, then w= -; when I did the practice problems in EK chemistry workbook, I found out that w= - if gas does work and w= + if work is done on gas...could anyone confirm this for me? cheers!
I'm not sure if this question was answered, it was a long time ago, but for the purposes of answering it on this thread for anyone else.....

Change in Energy=Q-W (Q: heat, W: work)

When work is done BY the gas, energy is lost. "W" is positive.
When work is done ON the gas, energy is gained. "W" is negative.

Also, when heated added, Q is +, removed, Q is -.

This sign convention has to be followed.

I remember the equation, Q-W, and then it becomes easy. If the gas does work, then its tired and must lost energy. So the number becomes smaller, and for that to happen work must be positive. If something else does work on it, it energizes it and pumps it up, like charging up a battery, so the number must be bigger, and work has to be negative.

Hope that helps :)

I'm not sure if this question was answered, it was a long time ago, but for the purposes of answering it on this thread for anyone else.....

Change in Energy=Q-W (Q: heat, W: work)

When work is done BY the gas, energy is lost. "W" is positive.
When work is done ON the gas, energy is gained. "W" is negative.

Also, when heated added, Q is +, removed, Q is -.

This sign convention has to be followed.

I remember the equation, Q-W, and then it becomes easy. If the gas does work, then its tired and must lost energy. So the number becomes smaller, and for that to happen work must be positive. If something else does work on it, it energizes it and pumps it up, like charging up a battery, so the number must be bigger, and work has to be negative.

Hope that helps :)

Good Job Justmoi! Thanks, I have always got these mixed up.

sure thing, glad it helps! This used to drive me crazy too :p

Good luck :)

Physics- Equation for Frequency in simple harmonic motion:
FucKs/Min-----fvcks per min-----freq= cycles per sec

F=(1/2ii)*(sq.rt.K/M)

easier to remember if k or m is in the numerator.

For those of you who are having a hard time remembering the difference between an ester and an ether. Think of R-O-R (an ether) as Ether OR (pronounced EITHER). The OR should remind you of the R-O-R configuration of an ether.:laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
The order of electronegativity for certain elements:
(I can remember this partly because one of the officials in OK had a name like Brisch)

Phone Call (from) Brisch

F > O > N > Cl > Br > I > S > C > H

more electronegative --------> less

Some of my classmates used a different word for Brisch, but it wasn't as smooth.

This is probably the greatest example of the absurdity of mneumonics. In the case of periodic element trends, the only thing you have to do is remember the most extreme element. For ex/ F is the most electronegative atom, and it happens to be all the way in the upper-right corner. Therefore, electroneg increases as one goes up in group and down the row.

Concepts will be much clearer and will stick in your mind much longer if you take the time to understand the reasoning behind them. And no, that shouldnt take longer than remembering silly mneumonics.

Just a little changed version of a previous post by trustforward:

MESO-directing (DEactivating):
"Quaint Ester in Cyan Sulked Near Carby & Carny"
Qua Quaternary amino -NR3+
Ester Ester -COOR
Sul Sulfonic acid -SO3H
N Nitro -NO2
Carny Carbonyl -CHO
Carby Carboxyl -COOH
Cyan Cyano -CN

O/P-directing (ACTIVATING):
"Always Hold Ana's Arm... b/c it makes her HAP(py)"
A Alkyl -R
H Halogen -X (only DEactivating O/P director)
A Alkoxyl -OR
A Amino -NH2, -NHR, -NR2 (not -NR3+)
H Hydroxyl -OH
A Amide -NHCOR
P Phenyl -C6H5

I can beat this... but you really don't need a mnemonic for it. here it is anyway, cause it's funny:

Kinky people can orgasm from grocery shopping:

(Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species)[/quote

my bio prof taught me : Kinky peole can often find great sex

For those of you who are having a hard time remembering the difference between an ester and an ether. Think of R-O-R (an ether) as Ether OR (pronounced EITHER). The OR should remind you of the R-O-R configuration of an ether.:laugh:

Ester vs. Ether used to confuse me, also...

For Ester would say: Ester loves the COC(k) and then I draw the C-O-C w/ the double bonded oxygen on top of the carbon...the 2 Carbon (balls) and the Oxygen attached by a 'long' double bond looks like a...well you get the rest :D

...don't judge me :laugh:

DNA Hydrogen Bonding

Thymine and Adenine: think Tits and Ass. Only 2 tits and 2 ass cheeks

Kreb's Cycle products

"Copulation A is Key So Suck & F@@k more often."

Citrate
cis-Aconitase-intermediate
Iso-citrate
Oxalosuccinate
Alpha-ketoglutarate
Succinyl-CoA
Succinate
Fumurate
Malate
Oxaloacetate

The majority of the enzymes are spin offs of the reactants....
Isocitrate to Oxalosuccinate is by isocitrate dehydrogenase

Or you can say it this way:

Kinky People Come Over For Good Sex.

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

MY microbio prof. tols us that.

thanks you guys!

the only one i have is GHOST, (the o is a circle around a minus sign)...

delta G = delta H - delta S T
G = H - ST - its sorta ghost-like

and i hate to add to this cause it's soooo not important, but for kingdom phylum etc:
kinky people can often find good sex.